Who is the GREATEST Bill of All-Time ??

papazoid

It's not even the fact that he is the all-time leader in sacks it's the numbers he put up in a 3-4 defense.

That's kind of irrelevant. DEs in a 3-4 can put up sack stats just fine. If you want to play that game, you could say that he had an advantage over other DEs because 90% of the time his team was playing with the lead, giving him more chances to tee off on the QB than most DEs normally have. Think Dwight Freeney, always getting the opportunity to rush the QB, because Manning and the Colts' offense always give them a lead to play with.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Fergie only attempted a little more than 100 pass attempts the whole season, O.J. was the whole offense, the defense knew it, and he still had the best season any running back has ever had, and probably ever will have.

OJ was great but I wasn't gonna say it because that's not what this threads about but here it is did Barry Sanders ever have a supporting cast. they are tied for greatest all time if anything Barry edges him out.

That's kind of irrelevant. DEs in a 3-4 can put up sack stats just fine. If you want to play that game, you could say that he had an advantage over other DEs because 90% of the time his team was playing with the lead, giving him more chances to tee off on the QB than most DEs normally have. Think Dwight Freeney, always getting the opportunity to rush the QB, because Manning and the Colts' offense always give them a lead to play with.

you really don't know anything about football do you the next closest in that style defense doesn't even have triple didgets.

you really don't know anything about football do you the next closest in that style defense doesn't even have triple didgets.

Reggie White, Leslie O'neal, and Neil Smith all played in 3-4s at points in their careers. And NONE of them had the offense Bruce had to let them all-out pass rush like Bruce could.

Reggie White, Leslie O'neal, and Neil Smith all played in 3-4s at points in their careers. And NONE of them had the offense Bruce had to let them all-out pass rush like Bruce could.

He did it for almost all of his career your arguing with nfl network and espn and I looked into it myself as best as I could.

Just to give you an idea Richard Seymour has 43 sacks over his 9 year career Bruce had 106 over the first 9 years of his career and only played in 5 games for one of those seasons.

Neither Reggie White nor Neil Smith played in 3-4s. Not sure about O'Neal, but I don't think he played any 3-4 in his "significant" years. As for Reggie White, the Packers offense was probably better than the Bills at their best. Granted, he racked up most of sacks in Philly, but he still had some 3 or 4 primo years in GB.

He did it for almost all of his career your arguing with nfl network and espn and I looked into it myself as best as I could.

Just to give you an idea Richard Seymour has 43 sacks over his 9 year career Bruce had 106 over the first 9 years of his career and only played in 5 games for one of those seasons.

To be fair, Seymour - a truly great player - shouldn't be compared with Smith. Their teams asked them to do different things. Seymour was a dominant run stopper along with many other things. He's not as good as Smith, but basing the comparison on sack stats isn't fair.

Neither Reggie White nor Neil Smith played in 3-4s. Not sure about O'Neal, but I don't think he played any 3-4 in his "significant" years. As for Reggie White, the Packers offense was probably better than the Bills at their best. Granted, he racked up most of sacks in Philly, but he still had some 3 or 4 primo years in GB.

Neil Smith and O'Neal played most, if not all, of their careers in a 4-3. And White had an amazing supporting cast in Philly.

To be fair, Seymour - a truly great player - shouldn't be compared with Smith. Their teams asked them to do different things. Seymour was a dominant run stopper along with many other things. He's not as good as Smith, but basing the comparison on sack stats isn't fair.

that's what a DE is measured by like it or not one of the networks did a comparison of DE's and his tackles were even more eye poping unfortunatle NFL.com didn't do the home work this network did I haven't been able to find it online anywhere. As far as seymour that's my whole point Bruce rushed the passer and stopped the run. if i am not mistaken that is the whole idea behind the 3-4 is that 3 larger line men clog the holes the pass rush threat comes from the OLBs thats why his numbers are so impressive.

Bruce is the best DE to ever play in the NFL, as his sack record affirms. By comparison, TT and OJ were great, but not in NFL's top 10 all time RB's. Same for kelly, best bills qb but not one of the 10 best QB's in NFL history.

Bruce was a first ballot HOF'er. Bruce is the best Bills player ever...

that's what a DE is measured by like it or not one of the networks did a comparison of DE's and his tackles were even more eye poping unfortunatle NFL.com didn't do the home work this network did I haven't been able to find it online anywhere. As far as seymour that's my whole point Bruce rushed the passer and stopped the run. if i am not mistaken that is the whole idea behind the 3-4 is that 3 larger line men clog the holes the pass rush threat comes from the OLBs thats why his numbers are so impressive.

Measured by whom? Not by me, that's for sure. I watch the games and make my own judgments. Seymour is (was?) a truly great player. Certainly not as great as Smith, but great nonetheless.

I believe the only argument against it is that Ed 'too tall' Jones might've had more sacks than Bruce if they had kept sacks as a stat back then.

I think you mean David "Deacon" Jones; "Too Tall" wasn't even the best pass rusher on his own team; that would have been Harvey Martin.

Since you struggled so much to research this and are relying on ESPN, I'll give you just an idea of what I'm talking about. Take Neil Smith. He played for a Chiefs team that always ran a 3-4. You might recall they had Dan Saleamua in the middle playing NT. Derrick Thomas was their Cornelius Bennett. Neil Smith put up some nice numbers as a DE in that 3-4, and the Chiefs NEVER had the offense that we did.

Leslie Oneal played as both DE and OLB in the Chargers' 3-4 before they later converted to a 4-3 with Seau taking the MLB role.

Reggie White spent his early career in a 4-3 double eagle defense, I grant you that, but he did play in a 3-4 with Green Bay (remember big NT Gilbert Brown) from 1993 to 1998, racking up 68.5 sacks over that span.

Bruce is the best DE to ever play in the NFL, as his sack record affirms. By comparison, TT and OJ were great, but not in NFL's top 10 all time RB's. Same for kelly, best bills qb but not one of the 10 best QB's in NFL history.

huhh?

OJ Simpson - everyone else a distant 2nd.

regarding Thurman thomas I can argue he's only the 4th best RB we ever had behind Cookie & OJ & Joe Cribbs

Cribbs was 4 yrs and 4 probowls....returned punts and led the Bills in both receiving and rushing in 1983.

Thurman had good fortune to come along as the RB in the no huddle....while Thurman was taken out of the game on 3rd downs his rookie year....joe Cribbs was running & receiving and returning punts to a start in the pro bowl his rookie year starting alongside earl campbell...

In general I think the players from the Knox era are a bit overlooked when it comes to all time selections

Possible the dumbest posts I've read on here definitely top 5

OJ was great but I wasn't gonna say it because that's not what this threads about but here it is did Barry Sanders ever have a supporting cast. they are tied for greatest all time if anything Barry edges him out.

Although I do think O.J. was slightly better than Barry Sanders, I never even referred to Sanders, this post was just a reply to the fact that everyone knew O.J. was getting the ball pretty much every play and they still couldn't stop him. This post was about the best Bills players ever, not players period. But, while you mention it, if I recall and my memory isn't perfect, I believe Herman Moore had a couple huge seasons receiving, something the O.J. Bills never had.

Did you have to throw that in? The lowest point of his great career if I am not mistaken, he only played in that amount of games because of a drug suspension. I might be wrong and I am sure if I am I will be corrected on this board.

Sorry. OJ not int he top 10 of all time great RBs? Preposterous at best. Yeah, I know it's a subjective thing but even by subjective measures OJ simply cannot be dismissed. At a minimum, he's top three all time.

GO BILLS!!!

I believe the only argument against it is that Ed 'too tall' Jones might've had more sacks than Bruce if they had kept sacks as a stat back then.

If anyone would have had more sacks back then when they didn't keep track of them it would have been Deacon Jones, the man who created the phrase "sack."

Sorry. OJ not int he top 10 of all time great RBs? Preposterous at best. Yeah, I know it's a subjective thing but even by subjective measures OJ simply cannot be dismissed. At a minimum, he's top three all time.

GO BILLS!!!

top 10 rbs no particular order:

emmitt

oj

payton

sanders

sayers

dickerson

brown

dorsett

thomas

campbell

top 10 rbs no particular order:

emmitt

oj

payton

sanders

sayers

dickerson

brown

dorsett

thomas

campbell

Emmitt Smith might have the most yards ever, but no way is he higher on a list then O.J., Walter Payton or Jim Brown. Me personally, I would probably give the nod to Walter Payton slightly over O.J. as the best back ever. Outside of 1985, which was at the end of Walter's career, he pretty much played on mediocre at best teams, with no passing game and he still tore up defenses like O.J. did. Without looking it up, can anyone name a QB that Payton had before McMahon? I didn't think so. Joe Fergy was better than anything Payton ever had, as was Bobby Chandler, Jerry Butler, Frank Lewis were probably all better than any receiver the Bears had until the very end of Payton's career, and maybe even then.

Easily Kelly. Without him there is no way they go to 4 Super Bowls. Look at the Bills records both before and after Kelly. Clearly he was the key ingredient of those teams.

Thurman was more important than Kelly if you ask me.

But Kelly was the best leader we had....

it's so hard to ask "who was more important, Kelly or Thomas"...the K-gun was such a well-oiled machine. Reich often stepped in and looked great. Kenneth Davis often stepped in and looked great. I mean, we were without Kelly AND Thurman against Houston and still pulled off the greatest comeback ever...and then the following week did it again without Kelly or Thurman when we beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh, 24-3.

Much as it pains me to say it. I have to go with OJ. You might as well call the Ralph "the house that OJ built" with out him the stadium would not have been built and certainly would not have held 80,000+. Also you can thank OJ for the "streaking buffalo" logo. The man WAS the franchise, without him, no one would have known the Bills existed at the time (much like now)

Emmitt Smith might have the most yards ever, but no way is he higher on a list then O.J., Walter Payton or Jim Brown. Me personally, I would probably give the nod to Walter Payton slightly over O.J. as the best back ever. Outside of 1985, which was at the end of Walter's career, he pretty much played on mediocre at best teams, with no passing game and he still tore up defenses like O.J. did. Without looking it up, can anyone name a QB that Payton had before McMahon? I didn't think so. Joe Fergy was better than anything Payton ever had, as was Bobby Chandler, Jerry Butler, Frank Lewis were probably all better than any receiver the Bears had until the very end of Payton's career, and maybe even then.

Good list. Brown was the only RB that was better than OJ. If you had seen them play there wouldn't be any question about it. Lets not forget OJ didn't play on good teams either. They were very mediocre teams.

If you go to Chicago they will probably have a hard time naming the Bills QB's when OJ was there as well.

Did you have to throw that in? The lowest point of his great career if I am not mistaken, he only played in that amount of games because of a drug suspension. I might be wrong and I am sure if I am I will be corrected on this board.

You are mistaken; the drug suspension was for 4 games in '88. In 1991, he missed all but 5 games because of knee surgery.