Does Ralph Owe Buffalo a Succession Plan?

wisebill

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RW doesn't "owe" Buffalo anything. That may sting after all the loyalty we've shown but that's the reality.

As far as I know, the team still goes to the highest bidder after his passing.

GO BILLS!!!

He owes us nothing.

That's the sad truth. the Bills were a business decision, not a civic endeavor. As a businessman, his goal is to get the greatest return on his investment. The whole issue wouldn't be such a concern if the Buffalo area had a multi-billionnaire who was a great football fan. How about the Sabres owner, or maybe the Rich Products family. They've got the cash. Or maybe the family that owns Delaware North (the Jacobs brothers?). Outside of those two names, I don't see anyone in WNY with pockets deep enough to invest in a football team that is in a small market with little likelyhood of turning it's situation around. It pains me to think about it, but when Ralph goes, the Bills are probably gone as well.

Thus far, this thread gives me hope that not all Bills fans are as bizarre as some of the hapless diatribes insinuated last night. It is comforting to realize the majority of posters in this thread (thus far) realize RW owes WNY absolutely unequivocally nothing....nada.....zip......zilch.

He can hire / fire whomever .........and can sell the Bills with no regard to the aftermath or whatever he chooses. Because, afterall, he OWNS the team.

Why this is so hard for some to grasp is rather stupifying.

What a great response to an utterly peculiar first thread.

Go Chan. Great hire.

Just because he does not "owe" it, doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

Taking appropriate steps to make sure the Bills stay in Buffalo where they belong is the right thing to do, whether he "owes" it to anybody or not.

With the money Al Davis raked in from continually pinballing between Oakland and LA, and the way Baltimore bailed out pig-faced satan, I would say that we owe Wilson much more than he owes us. The Bills could have been the Baltimore Ravens......

Well, I think some gratitude and an attempt to ensure the team has a legit shoit to stay would be a good way to go. Does he owe it to us to make the team stay? No. But he's taken, I would guess, in excess of $100M in taxpayer dollars for stadium construction, upgrades, maintenance and operating costs. If its not a civic endeavor, then give us our money back and instead of making $25M a year, you can make $22M. As soon as its funded by taxpayer dollars, it's a public-private partnership with the assumption that our taxpayer dollars are for a community good.

The guy has turned a $25,000 investment into a $900M entity and Erie County/NYS supported it by building a stadium and giving him money. How come we as taxpayers (and season ticket holders) invested in this business, helped make it what it is but we get not even a reach around when this moron dies?

It's so easy to be simple and say he owes us nothing, but that's a simple answer to a complex question involving more than some simple "free market" analysis of business.

Well, I think some gratitude and an attempt to ensure the team has a legit shoit to stay would be a good way to go. Does he owe it to us to make the team stay? No. But he's taken, I would guess, in excess of $100M in taxpayer dollars for stadium construction, upgrades, maintenance and operating costs. If its not a civic endeavor, then give us our money back and instead of making $25M a year, you can make $22M. As soon as its funded by taxpayer dollars, it's a public-private partnership with the assumption that our taxpayer dollars are for a community good.

The guy has turned a $25,000 investment into a $900M entity and Erie County/NYS supported it by building a stadium and giving him money. How come we as taxpayers (and season ticket holders) invested in this business, helped make it what it is but we get not even a reach around when this moron dies?

It's so easy to be simple and say he owes us nothing, but that's a simple answer to a complex question involving more than some simple "free market" analysis of business.

At first blush you have a point, yet, it is unfair to say Ralph took your money. Someone, not him, voted that your money be given to him. Big difference.....not wordsmithing. With that you should argue the same people that took your money in the first place should then do something about it now.....but at that, that ship has sailed. Again, Ralph has done nothing wrong...at all. And probably deserves credit for keeping the team in Buffalo when he could have probably tripled his own revenue in any other market.

Your intentions are worthy, your target is mis-guided. Ralph is not the enemy.

Thus far, this thread gives me hope that not all Bills fans are as bizarre as some of the hapless diatribes insinuated last night. It is comforting to realize the majority of posters in this thread (thus far) realize RW owes WNY absolutely unequivocally nothing....nada.....zip......zilch.

He can hire / fire whomever .........and can sell the Bills with no regard to the aftermath or whatever he chooses. Because, afterall, he OWNS the team.

Why this is so hard for some to grasp is rather stupifying.

What a great response to an utterly peculiar first thread.

Go Chan. Great hire.

You one of Ralph's grandkids or something? WE have made that old bastard rich. You're wrong when you say he doesn't owe us the favor of TRYING to keep the team in Buffalo. But then again, he's only ever cared about the bottom line rather than winning while he was alive, so why not adhere to the bottom line when he kicks the bucket, right?

in answer to the thread, yes and no

It's the responsible thing to do to have a plan in place, more for the organization than for the fans. Just like a will.

However, he doesn't owe it to the fans to tell us about it...and it's tasteless to talk about it to an extent.

"Hey Ralph, what's gonna happen to the team when you die?" Who wants to talk about their death?

A rumor came out a couple of years ago that said that Mary Wilson was getting the team and selling it to Jim Kelly's group upon Ralph's passing. Whether that's just a rumor or the facts, we won't find out until after Ralph passes

Taking appropriate steps to make sure the Bills stay in Buffalo where they belong is the right thing to do, whether he "owes" it to anybody or not.

That's your opinion. In Ralph's opinion, maybe the right thing to do is what's best for his family. I don't have a problem with that.

You one of Ralph's grandkids or something? WE have made that old bastard rich. You're wrong when you say he doesn't owe us the favor of TRYING to keep the team in Buffalo. But then again, he's only ever cared about the bottom line rather than winning while he was alive, so why not adhere to the bottom line when he kicks the bucket, right?

Yes, that must be it. For offering a rationale response to the meek and fragile who feel entitled to something the 'old bastard' has, I am the grand kid? Well, Einstein, the irony of all this is that you actually sound like the grandkid; albeit spoiled. Or is this lost on you?

And you should exhale before you type, your second statement above is not remotely related to my previous post, breath..........in........out.......your anger demonstrates little and your words even less.......

If all he cares about is the bottom line, he would have left Buffalo years ago. If somebody in western NY wants to buy the team as the highest bidder, thye get the team. Maybe even a small hometown discount would be given.

Having said that I'm not sure there isn't some plan in place but for whatever reason RW doesn't want anything divulged until after his death. While he's still alive, he wants everyone to view him as prick. We shall see.

But then again, he's only ever cared about the bottom line rather than winning while he was alive, so why not adhere to the bottom line when he kicks the bucket, right?

Yes, that must be it. For offering a rationale response to the meek and fragile who feel entitled to something the 'old bastard' has, I am the grand kid? Well, Einstein, the irony of all this is that you actually sound like the grandkid; albeit spoiled. Or is this lost on you?

And you should exhale before you type, your second statement above is not remotely related to my previous post, breath..........in........out.......your anger demonstrates little and your words even less.......

Funny you should mention Einstein, because I heard a quote once from Einstein. Now, how did that go again...? :thumbsup:

I think that someone who turns a $25K investment into a "$900 million" entity is probably not a moron.

True, tax dollars were used to build the stadium decades ago (I remember that it was decades ago because I went to the first game ever -- against the Washington NFL franchise with the racist name). However, the local governments put money into the stadium because they thought they could get something in return -- sales tax revenue, whatever. If the local and state governments don't get enough in return, it's not Ralph's fault, but the governments' fault. Maybe the state and county should have said, sure, we'll give you money, but we want a guarantee that the Bills will stay in WNY in perpetuity. In that case, there probably would never have been a stadium in Orchard Park and the Blls would have been history long ago.

Likewise, people who buy tickets are entering into a business arrangement, not some kind of lifetime annuity. I give you money, you provide something in return, whether it's wings, pizza, beer or a football game. Once the game is over, the contract is over. Same holds true for season ticket holders. Once the season is over, so is the contract. You provided money, the team provided a product -- good, bad or indifferent (i don't recall any of the tickets I bought gauranteeing anything other than a place to park my fanny.) The argument that somehow Ralph Wilson owes Buffalo something rings hollow. He's actually tried to make a go if it in a market that can't compete with the high-profile markets .

WNY doesn't hold any attraction for someone who wants to be an NFL owner. It has no economy and no economic growth that I can see. There's no big corporate base to buy up luxury suites (which is where the owners make a real killing, ask Jerry JonTes.) Taxes are oppressive. The city, county and state have been losing population for decades. The state government is a joke that borders on the immoral and criminal. And the situation shows no signs of turning around.

So as much as it pains me to even think such thoughts, enjoy the Bills while you can, because unless Jim Kelly has a billion dollars hidden up his butt, they are history once Ralph dies.

He does not "owe" Buffalo a plan but I am sure he has one. The guy's legacy, his joy in life and what he lives for is essentially all revolved around the Bills. He does/would not want the team and city and people to be left without a team. I think he will probably leave it to his wife as it then has no estate tax. She can then do with it what she wants.....do think he really wants the team to leave right after he passes away. His wife if very involved in Buffalo charities and the community and s a very nice woman and I highly doubt she would just pack it in and sell it to whoever in LA/Toronto etc...

Maybe Ralph has a plan and does not want his relatives harassed and targeted by people who know they will inherit a 900M asset.

Do you really think his attorneys and accountants would not help him with this?

He does not "owe" Buffalo a plan but I am sure he has one. The guy's legacy, his joy in life and what he lives for is essentially all revolved around the Bills. He does/would not want the team and city and people to be left without a team. I think he will probably leave it to his wife as it then has no estate tax. She can then do with it what she wants.....do think he really wants the team to leave right after he passes away. His wife if very involved in Buffalo charities and the community and s a very nice woman and I highly doubt she would just pack it in and sell it to whoever in LA/Toronto etc...

Maybe Ralph has a plan and does not want his relatives harassed and targeted by people who know they will inherit a 900M asset.

Do you really think his attorneys and accountants would not help him with this?

I agree and that's what I was trying to say as well. You don't spend 91 years on this planet, most of it building your image as the loyal WNY patron, knowing that it'll all be thrown out the window and turned upside-down after your death. People who live that long and reach his level of success tend to care a tad about how they'll be remembered. Not always, but most of the time.

I just wish he'd announce it already.

does take a little bit of work to put a succession plan together. kind of when ol Ralphie was doing the ol AFL-NFL merger dealie, when he was doing some actual work.

Ralph's work on the AFL-NFL merger got him his Hall of Fame induction. The Bills going to four SB's was icing on the cake. He does not owe Buffalo anything, but as others have said, it is the right thing to do. Loyalty should count for something. Buffalo has supported this team through good times and bad.

spot on.

I think that someone who turns a $25K investment into a "$900 million" entity is probably not a moron.

True, tax dollars were used to build the stadium decades ago (I remember that it was decades ago because I went to the first game ever -- against the Washington NFL franchise with the racist name). However, the local governments put money into the stadium because they thought they could get something in return -- sales tax revenue, whatever. If the local and state governments don't get enough in return, it's not Ralph's fault, but the governments' fault. Maybe the state and county should have said, sure, we'll give you money, but we want a guarantee that the Bills will stay in WNY in perpetuity. In that case, there probably would never have been a stadium in Orchard Park and the Blls would have been history long ago.

Likewise, people who buy tickets are entering into a business arrangement, not some kind of lifetime annuity. I give you money, you provide something in return, whether it's wings, pizza, beer or a football game. Once the game is over, the contract is over. Same holds true for season ticket holders. Once the season is over, so is the contract. You provided money, the team provided a product -- good, bad or indifferent (i don't recall any of the tickets I bought gauranteeing anything other than a place to park my fanny.) The argument that somehow Ralph Wilson owes Buffalo something rings hollow. He's actually tried to make a go if it in a market that can't compete with the high-profile markets .

WNY doesn't hold any attraction for someone who wants to be an NFL owner. It has no economy and no economic growth that I can see. There's no big corporate base to buy up luxury suites (which is where the owners make a real killing, ask Jerry JonTes.) Taxes are oppressive. The city, county and state have been losing population for decades. The state government is a joke that borders on the immoral and criminal. And the situation shows no signs of turning around.

So as much as it pains me to even think such thoughts, enjoy the Bills while you can, because unless Jim Kelly has a billion dollars hidden up his butt, they are history once Ralph dies.

NYS Governemnt really has bent Western NY (and most of the rest of the state) over its knee.

When the name Albert Einstein comes up on Bills boards I generally whinse, but thankfully, I always have the immortal Joe Theismann, who in a moment of utter stupidity during a Monday Night Football telecast "renamed" the great scientist the first name of Norman!! Norman Einstein... thanks Joe! My feeling is that Ralph will pass and we will be presented with the best Ralph has to offer, the Buffalo Bills remaining in Western New York. I just have a strong feeling about this topic. Frankly, it makes the most sense, to me. His legacy will be intact at that point. All I can say is God Bless Mr. Wilson.

Ralph's work on the AFL-NFL merger got him his Hall of Fame induction. The Bills going to four SB's was icing on the cake. He does not owe Buffalo anything, but as others have said, it is the right thing to do. Loyalty should count for something. Buffalo has supported this team through good times and bad.

He can do as he wants... for me I'd have a clause filed in the ownership documents stating the team plays all of its games in Erie Co. for the next 50 years. If I were to purchase the team from ol Jug Ears that would be my first order of bidnis. That and ironing out a new lease agreement with loose lips Chris Collins on the Orchard Park Rockpile.

:thumbsup:

With the money Al Davis raked in from continually pinballing between Oakland and LA, and the way Baltimore bailed out pig-faced satan, I would say that we owe Wilson much more than he owes us. The Bills could have been the Baltimore Ravens......

Well-said. He served the city of Buffalo by keeping the team here and not being tempted like Al Davis and others to boomerang their teams out of their native homes.

The Buffalo Bills franchise is an asset. It will be sold at auction to the highest bidder, who would likely move the team to a new location. Let's enjoy the Bills while they remain here in Buffalo.

two more years at the most then? cause nobody is really talking about that... it could be just two years... 2010 and 2012.

if of course, 2011 has a full season lockout... but hasn't really been any talk of a new lease agreement (imagine that)... the one that expires in 2012... (don't bother with the smartass Dec. 21st crap)... two years... beyond that, let's say the Bills are in WNY still in 2013... do they tear the hell out of Pilot Field? Do they use that turf near what used to be "The Pier"... do they use UB's field, a local high school field?

:thumbsup:

When the name Albert Einstein comes up on Bills boards I generally whinse, but thankfully, I always have the immortal Joe Theismann, who in a moment of utter stupidity during a Monday Night Football telecast "renamed" the great scientist the first name of Norman!! Norman Einstein... thanks Joe! My feeling is that Ralph will pass and we will be presented with the best Ralph has to offer, the Buffalo Bills remaining in Western New York. I just have a strong feeling about this topic. Frankly, it makes the most sense, to me. His legacy will be intact at that point. All I can say is God Bless Mr. Wilson.

You what??? You whinse????

Oh boy.... :thumbsup: