Does Ralph Owe Buffalo a Succession Plan?

wisebill

RW doesn't "owe" Buffalo anything. That may sting after all the loyalty we've shown but that's the reality.

As far as I know, the team still goes to the highest bidder after his passing.

GO BILLS!!!

And when he finally does pass away and the team moves ,everyone is going to wish Ralph was still around and think he wasn't such a bad guy afterall for keeping them in Buffalo.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all of the county money he has taken from this area over the last 50 years, YES, he does owe us!!!!

I think most of us know that there are other cities and counties that would have given RW much more - like Los Angeles, Seattle, Memphis, et al. Ralph Wilson has always been against franchise moves - even voted against his best buddy Art Modell moving the Browns when Baltimore promised Modell a new $300M+ stadium (link) and $50M cash (link). Wilson could have easily gotten a sweeter deal than that from Los Angeles any time he wanted, but kept the Bills here.

As far as a succession plan, he owes us nothing - yet he still works to keep the franchise viable in the 2nd smallest market in the NFL (link). Best thing RW could have done to keep the team here in the short term is the Toronto deal - being obligated to play there for five years keeps the team from going anywhere. Beyond that, who knows?

The guy has turned a $25,000 investment into a $900M entity and Erie County/NYS supported it by building a stadium and giving him money. How come we as taxpayers (and season ticket holders) invested in this business, helped make it what it is but we get not even a reach around when this moron dies?

Maybe you ought to look elsewhere if you want a reach around. I am sure if you invested $25,000 on a reach around in Marcella Show Club you would be happier especially if you count inflation for 50 years.

Ralph Wilson invested money after the $25,000. It was the initial investment and implying that is all he invested is exaggeration to the point of stupidity.

Considering the personal attacks, wishes for his death, etc I do not think he owes Buffalo much. He has been giving up money to stay in Buffalo for years.

Maybe you ought to look elsewhere if you want a reach around. I am sure if you invested $25,000 on a reach around in Marcella Show Club you would be happier especially if you count inflation for 50 years.

Ralph Wilson invested money after the $25,000. It was the initial investment and implying that is all he invested is exaggeration to the point of stupidity.

Considering the personal attacks, wishes for his death, etc I do not think he owes Buffalo much. He has been giving up money to stay in Buffalo for years.

Now wait minute - you're saying that the players, coaches, and staff didn't work for free? The uniforms, medical supplies, practice equipment, filming equipment, etc. wasn't donated? You don't expect me to believe that Ralph actually had to pay for the entire team's travel, meal, and hotel expenses, do you?

Now wait minute - you're saying that the players, coaches, and staff didn't work for free? The uniforms, medical supplies, practice equipment, filming equipment, etc. wasn't donated? You don't expect me to believe that Ralph actually had to pay for the team's travel, meal, and hotel expenses, do you?

No I will not attempt to confuse with any more facts. Even Patriots* had their hand in Ralph's wallet at start of league. If Ralph had been as cheap as some complain the AFL may have folded and the NFL would be a different entity.

No I will not attempt to confuse with any more facts. Even Patriots* had their hand in Ralph's wallet at start of league. If Ralph had been as cheap as some complain the AFL may have folded and the NFL would be a different entity.

Yep, Billy Sullivan AND Al Davis owe Ralph...BIG-TIME - especially Al, who got a $400K 'float' from RW to keep the Raiders franchise and the AFL alive...

link

When the name Albert Einstein comes up on Bills boards I generally whinse, but thankfully, I always have the immortal Joe Theismann, who in a moment of utter stupidity during a Monday Night Football telecast "renamed" the great scientist the first name of Norman!! Norman Einstein... thanks Joe! My feeling is that Ralph will pass and we will be presented with the best Ralph has to offer, the Buffalo Bills remaining in Western New York. I just have a strong feeling about this topic. Frankly, it makes the most sense, to me. His legacy will be intact at that point. All I can say is God Bless Mr. Wilson.

i played billiards with norm einstein

You one of Ralph's grandkids or something? WE have made that old bastard rich. You're wrong when you say he doesn't owe us the favor of TRYING to keep the team in Buffalo. But then again, he's only ever cared about the bottom line rather than winning while he was alive, so why not adhere to the bottom line when he kicks the bucket, right?

your lack of common decency and respect is disgusting!

grow up

He is an old bastard though, with his consistant cheap hires.

There is no lack of common decency there, and why should RW command respect?

greatness isn't measured with a balance sheet. rw should never be considered a great man...decent? I'm not sure.

He'd look a lot more decent to many if he laid out a succession plan with Buffalo's interests considered.

As much as emotions play into this, this is a business transaction on both sides. Ralph gives WNY football, entertainment, a link to "the national stage", and a symbol of civic identity. In return, we give him tax money, incentives and revenues.

Several here have spoken of the fans' loyalty, yet Ralph's gate receipts are among the lowest in the NFL. And really, how many top flight entertainment choices are there in WNY in competition with the Bills? WNY fans fill the stadium well in comparison to the number of wins over the years, but is that a function of the "high character" of WNY fans, or the realization that there's not much else to do ni WNY?

greatness isn't measured with a balance sheet. rw should never be considered a great man...decent? I'm not sure.

You're not sure?

Maybe the folks at the St. John Fisher Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. School of Education can help you decide...

RCWSOE

If not, try Hospice Buffalo...

Mary & Ralph Wilson Hospice Inpatient Unit & Counseling Ctr

If you're still not sure, ask some of the folks at Hunter's Hope, The Mayo Clinic, Roswell Park, Cleveland Clinic, University of Miami, etc., etc.

RCW Medical Research Foundation

If you're not sure after all that, ask Kevin Everett - it was RW-funded research and treatment of spinal injuries that saved Kevin from paralysis.

I'm sooooo freakin' tired of folks raggin' on Ralph - particularly when all they care about is a freakin' football team and their own self-interest, but are seemingly in the dark about all of RW's humanitarian contributions to WNY and beyond.

I wonder how many remember that, in the late 80's/early 90's, Boston almost lost the Cheatriettes* to St. Louis, then Memphis, and then nearly to Hartford? I'll bet Wilson DOES have ideas, if not an actual plan, to help the Bills remain and survive in WNY, but to say he OWES us one is ridiculous. Art Modell, Georgia Frontiere, Bob Irsay, Al Davis, and many other NFL owners in much larger markets than BuffTown would have cashed-out and moved the Bills YEARS ago.

Again, JMO. Folks are welcome to disagree. (But they'd be wrong. :devil: )

Since the guy is invested into the community, I would think that he would let the people whom live in the community know what's up. If he really cared about Buffalo and us, He would want us to have peace of mind knowing that we will not be moved to Toronto or LA. But He is not like that. He is a penny pinching OLD Meiser who looks out for himself and his bottom line. Why do you think he got this place Buffalo. He did not originally want this destination, he was stuck with it. We are appreciative that we have the franchise here, but Come on. He wouldn't think twice about passing all his money and his assets to his kids. and in turn they will sell to the highest bidder. and that wouldn't be any one in Buffalo. This is reality. They probably told The Kelly ownership group that they would get first crack at it, but if another buyer came along with more money they would go with that.

Just because he does not "owe" it, doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

Taking appropriate steps to make sure the Bills stay in Buffalo where they belong is the right thing to do, whether he "owes" it to anybody or not.

Well said, nosepicker. And Indymark is an idiotmark.

None of the rational Bills fans on this board want the team to move.

However the only people Wilson owes anything to is his family in making sure that they are taken care off after he is gone.

I love the Bills and was raised on them as I imagine most of the people here, but if I was the owner my major concern would be that my loved ones were set up for the rest of their lives after my passing and not that a bunch of strangers and a city still had their team.

Sure, legacy would be a thought, but definitely a secondary thought to my heirs.

I hate when people use the term "owe", as in Ralph doesn't OWE us anything. Does he legally need to notify the community that he's going to sell the team? Not with the exception of notifying his landlord (the county) who rents him the stadium (named after him) that was built/renovated with taxpayer money. He has used that stadium to make millions of dollars stemming from taxpayer investment.

He has a moral obligation to keep the fans informed as best as possible because he knows how important the team is to them. I have posted on this before, but if I own the team I wouldnt want to be seen as another Art Modell, who alienated an entire city that now hates his guts because he handled the situation with no class.

If Ralph built a stadium himself and had no help from my tax dollars I would say he owes nothing. If he uses my money to make money for himself and truly understands how bummed fans will be if they lose their team, then he should do everything he can to communicate the options available to him and his family regarding a succession plan.

I would respect his right to sell the team, but only if he does it with class and a detailed explanation of the offers received and why he chose to go the route he did. He definitely "owes" us that.

If all he cares about is the bottom line, he would have left Buffalo years ago. If somebody in western NY wants to buy the team as the highest bidder, thye get the team. Maybe even a small hometown discount would be given.

Having said that I'm not sure there isn't some plan in place but for whatever reason RW doesn't want anything divulged until after his death. While he's still alive, he wants everyone to view him as prick. We shall see.

You kidding? Guy's run a major profit the past five decades.

Since the guy is invested into the community, I would think that he would let the people whom live in the community know what's up. If he really cared about Buffalo and us, He would want us to have peace of mind knowing that we will not be moved to Toronto or LA. But He is not like that. He is a penny pinching OLD Meiser who looks out for himself and his bottom line. Why do you think he got this place Buffalo. He did not originally want this destination, he was stuck with it. We are appreciative that we have the franchise here, but Come on. He wouldn't think twice about passing all his money and his assets to his kids. and in turn they will sell to the highest bidder. and that wouldn't be any one in Buffalo. This is reality. They probably told The Kelly ownership group that they would get first crack at it, but if another buyer came along with more money they would go with that.

Well that certainly belongs in the category of 'Dumbest TSW Posts Ever'.

RW could have moved the team to Seattle in 1970. He could have moved them to LA to fill the void left by the Rams (and filled his pockets) when Georgia Frontierre sold LA out for St. Louis in the 90's - the NFL would love to have a team in LA. He could have pulled a 'Bob Irsay' - packing up and moving in the middle of the night like Irsay did with the Baltimore Colts in 1984 - or pulled an 'Art Modell' and gotten a $300M+ new stadium and $50M+ cash to use at his discretion, like Modell did with the Cleveland Browns-turned-Baltimore Ravens in 1996.

But guess what? The Bills are still here, in the 2nd smallest TV market in the league, still right where they started 50 years ago. How many times has Al Davis moved/threatened to move the Raiders in that same 50-year period?

Yep, that's ol' Ralph, just lookin' out for himself. :wallbash::devil: :devil: