Vic Carucci says Bills to make major changes

Now that should make Bills fans smile today.

Vic Carucci, Senior Columnist, NFL.com

For the right money and control of the football operation, it's a pretty healthy list of candidates with impressive credentials. My sense is that the Bills will finally go the route of hiring a big-time coach/GM rather than sticking with the entry-level approach, although I don't have any specific names for you right now.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/564

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that should make Bills fans smile today.

I would love for that to be correct, but this is the same guy that told me face-to-face that he'd spoken to Marv Levy the night before and that Buffalo was going to trade up and take A.J. Hawk in 2006, but that if they couldn't they'd stay put and pick Broderick Bunkley...we all know how that turned out.

I guess I just doubt Vic's scoop, that's all.

I would love for that to be correct, but this is the same guy that told me face-to-face that he'd spoken to Marv Levy the night before and that Buffalo was going to trade up and take A.J. Hawk in 2006, but that if they couldn't they'd stay put and pick Broderick Bunkley...we all know how that turned out.

Maybe Marv did tell him that. However, Marv was blowing smoke like everyone does before the draft or he was overruled in the draft room?

It's about time they show the fans that they are committed to winning and not just putting butts in the seats. This franchise the last 10 years has been one of the worst in the league. If they do this, and that's a big if, I will consider renewing my season tickets.

If they don't say good bye to the season tickets and the 7 hour drives up to Buffalo to watch them stink the joint up.

Dream scenario for me is a head coach of either Bill Cowher or Marty Schottenheimer, Cowher probably getting the slight edge. Does anyone know if Cowher was calling the shots, as far as the draft is concerned, during his stint with the Steelers? If so that's a major plus, as they really built teams that knew how to win in the nasty weather, which is what we've been missing for a long time.

I'm sick and tired of hearing that the Bills can't afford a big name HC/GM because they don't have the money to do so. They have plenty of money to do so if they so desire, and after the train wreck of this season (the entire decade really) Ralph may finally be forced to do the right thing. It's just a shame it will have taken 10 bad seasons for him to finally buck the trend of hiring inept staffs.

He's not saying a whole lot there.

He also said this.

I expect different people to be making the decision on player-personnel/coaching matters than the group currently in place.

and this..

I don't know that the Bills would make sense because I don't know who will be running the football operation. But I strongly believe there will be major changes in that area for the Bills.

He obviously knows something.

Maybe The Who will play 'Won't Get Fooled Again' during the Super Bowl. :wallbash:

:thumbsup: that's pretty good!

Also this tidbit found at the same link:

Very hard to project where Vick will end up next season, and I think it's almost impossible to project Buffalo as a landing spot because I expect different people to be making the decision on player-personnel/coaching matters than the group currently in place. And until we find out who those people will be, how can we tell what sort of fit Vick would be, if he's a fit at all?

My guess (less informed than Carucci's guess but the important thing here is that what Carucci has is a guess many hope is true but in the end is just a more informed than the average fan GUESS) is that it all comes down to the curmudgeon that owns the Bills hitting it off and having a spark with another person.

If this person is Shananhan, Cowher, or maybe Holmgren we have a shot at capturing lightening in a bottle. If that spark is with a fellow Golden Boy like Marv or with a flawed football guy like TD then its gonna be a difficult trip.

In the big picture my guess is that among the key questions a candidate like Shananhan, Cowher or whomever would want answered is what Mr. Ralph has in mind for the future with the Bills once he leaves this life. If he says he is going to essentially let the team go to highest qualified bidder, i would not take the job without a significant financial golden parachute. The chances of Mr. Ralph dying sooner rather than later are too large to not make the future plan a big factor.

Ultimately a lot comes down to whether Mr. Ralph decides to leave a will which makes it easier for the status quo of the Bills remaining here to prevail (for example if he decided to avoid taxes by leaving the team to not-for-profit based in WNY) or made it more uncertain for keeping the team here (for example leaving the fate of the team to an auction of the highest qualified bidder).

We will see.

Maybe Marv did tell him that. However, Marv was blowing smoke like everyone does before the draft or he was overruled in the draft room?

Yeah that's part of my point. He may very well have heard that at the time, just as he may very well have information on the subject now. My point is that I don't trust his information as much as I do certain other sources'. Just because he hears that now doesn't mean that it's correct.

Again, I'm not trying to pee in the punchbowl, I just wanted to point out that Vic isn't the most reliable dude on such matters.

He said pretty much the same thing on Sirius last weekend. He also predicted that Brandon would be the only one left, but strictly in marketing. Also, that the overall talent level on the team was so low that 1/2 to 2/3 of the roster could be gone, no big deal or loss.

He gave you the scoop. It's called the poop scoop! :wallbash:

He said pretty much the same thing on Sirius last weekend. He also predicted that Brandon would be the only one left, but strictly in marketing. Also, that the overall talent level on the team was so low that 1/2 to 2/3 of the roster could be gone, no big deal or loss.

Lets hope so. These guys have the rest of the season to show they have what it takes.

"Also, that the overall talent level on the team was so low that 1/2 to 2/3 of the roster could be gone, no big deal or loss."

Turning over 2/3 of the roster would make things difficult (but what else is new). I think more than 1/3 of the roster is players with good talent, though maybe not more than 1/2.

(for example if he decided to avoid taxes by leaving the team to not-for-profit based in WNY)

Not happening.

Ralph's always planned to have his estate sell the team because it's the best way to raise the cash for his daughters to pay the inheritance tax.

Why would he -- or anyone in the NFL -- consider donating a nine-figure asset to a not-for-profit? And don't bring up the Packers. The franchise wasn't worth much in the 50's when it went semi-public.

It's about time they show the fans that they are committed to winning and not just putting butts in the seats. This franchise the last 10 years has been one of the worst in the league. If they do this, and that's a big if, I will consider renewing my season tickets.

If they don't say good bye to the season tickets and the 7 hour drives up to Buffalo to watch them stink the joint up.

Dream scenario for me is a head coach of either Bill Cowher or Marty Schottenheimer, Cowher probably getting the slight edge. Does anyone know if Cowher was calling the shots, as far as the draft is concerned, during his stint with the Steelers? If so that's a major plus, as they really built teams that knew how to win in the nasty weather, which is what we've been missing for a long time.

I'm sick and tired of hearing that the Bills can't afford a big name HC/GM because they don't have the money to do so. They have plenty of money to do so if they so desire, and after the train wreck of this season (the entire decade really) Ralph may finally be forced to do the right thing. It's just a shame it will have taken 10 bad seasons for him to finally buck the trend of hiring inept staffs.

i may be wrong, but wasnt that the reason for the power-struggle with donnahue, or whatever his name was, wich he won?

oh, and yeah. id absolutely love 2 have cowher run the bills.

I feel the same way, because while tailgating before the game is fun, I go to watch football first. And if they can't make a commitment toward winning, I can't make a reciprocal move toward the team. I'd prefer to watch at home and not spend an entire day anticipating, watching, and then complaining about the team.

Carucci pointed out something noteworthy in that they've been going with the entry level approach for too long. Either put our chips in or step away from the table. Being in the game without a real shot is no longer an option.

1) there will be someone right there behind you buying your season tickets.

2) Coaching/Front Office $$ comes right out of luxury suite and ticket sales -- Bills are lowest in the league in both.. If you are "sick and tired" of Ralph not pulling $$ out of his pocket to make up for the relative lack of box office revenue, you need to find another team to root for, cuz this one ain't changin'

I feel the same way, because while tailgating before the game is fun, I go to watch football first. And if they can't make a commitment toward winning, I can't make a reciprocal move toward the team. I'd prefer to watch at home and not spend an entire day anticipating, watching, and then complaining about the team.

Carucci pointed out something noteworthy in that they've been going with the entry level approach for too long. Either put our chips in or step away from the table. Being in the game without a real shot is no longer an option.

Then step away from the table. Ralph will not commit the dollars. Not going to happen. He is running it like a business and he knows he's the Kansas City Royals. Just stay in the game, make a profit and do what you can on players within the cash to the cap policy and hire coaches you can actually get to come to buffalo. That's not a winning formula, mainly because average talent requires great coaching, and that kind of coaching can go anywhere and the B Lo has to be near the bottom of any rock star NFL coach's list... correct?

Then step away from the table. Ralph will not commit the dollars. Not going to happen. He is running it like a business and he knows he's the Kansas City Royals. Just stay in the game, make a profit and do what you can on players within the cash to the cap policy and hire coaches you can actually get to come to buffalo. That's not a winning formula, mainly because average talent requires great coaching, and that kind of coaching can go anywhere and the B Lo has to be near the bottom of any rock star NFL coach's list... correct?

If Ralph was smart he'd go out get himslef proven winners for every position in the FO and coaching staff then let them build a winner in Buffalo. Nothing, and I mean nothing, would be more profitable in the short and long term outlook of the team. It would help to build a wider base of fans across the country whom, bandwagon fans or not, would be willing to spend money to see the team in person and buy their merchandise. He would make more money than he ever has.

:wallbash:

Post of the day winner!

Seriously!!

Not happening.

Ralph's always planned to have his estate sell the team because it's the best way to raise the cash for his daughters to pay the inheritance tax.

Why would he -- or anyone in the NFL -- consider donating a nine-figure asset to a not-for-profit? And don't bring up the Packers. The franchise wasn't worth much in the 50's when it went semi-public.

The main reasons to do it this way would be for:

1. Control- If you are going to do something like this you want the receiving not-for-profit to meet the legal standard for being a 501c3 but to be a 501c3 you control by making the board of directors be set up and composed of the people you designate. These can easily be family members and the board members be allocated a reasonable salary (hence unreasonable to us normal folk)

2. Cash Advantage- Particularly when one is talking a about estate taxes and capital gains taxes we are talking at a level many feel is confiscatory but that is the reality. By "giving" this property to a 501c3 you are giving away 100s of millions but you are also escaping taxation of 100s of millions. If you set up your not-for-profit in a manner that allows your designees to retain control the cash advantage for the corpus of the entity is huge.

3. Legacy- You are dead. Legacy is all you have left. By anchoring the Bills to this area your legacy is assured.

These I think are among the reasons one might take this approach,

Jerry Sullivan has said many times that he can't read RW, and he speaks with him more than just about any member of the media. The team is so bad and mired in mediocrity that if they go the cheap route and replace very little, it exposes them for being unconcerned with winning and the season ticket base will wither away. And if they play up the angle that fans aren't supporting the team, well, so be it because that's a ridiculous assertion.

I hope Vic is right, because anything less ain't cutting it.

Yeah that's part of my point. He may very well have heard that at the time, just as he may very well have information on the subject now. My point is that I don't trust his information as much as I do certain other sources'. Just because he hears that now doesn't mean that it's correct.

Again, I'm not trying to pee in the punchbowl, I just wanted to point out that Vic isn't the most reliable dude on such matters.

Let us have our moment - small as it is.

Can you list every coach that will show you they are committed to winning?

In the big picture my guess is that among the key questions a candidate like Shananhan, Cowher or whomever would want answered is what Mr. Ralph has in mind for the future with the Bills once he leaves this life. If he says he is going to essentially let the team go to highest qualified bidder, i would not take the job without a significant financial golden parachute. The chances of Mr. Ralph dying sooner rather than later are too large to not make the future plan a big factor.

You realize this amounts to the potential employee in a job interview asking the employer what's going to happen when he dies? Talk about getting off on the wrong foot.