BREAKING NEWS: SCHONERT FIRED

thebandit27

what does this mean?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/

are we the 3rd team to can an OC before the season starts?

EDIT:

apparently, yes:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

I guess it doesn't matter that:

1) They have a QB that can't execute.

2) An OL that can't block (run or pass).

3) WR and TE's who don't run good routes and drop a lot of balls. What does it say a 3rd or 4th string TE is your leading receiver in preseason.

Not sure what good this does as it doesn't increase the talent level. It just pushes it off to someone else so that they can fail too.

BTW, I heard the Jets are going after Brandon Marshall.

:pirate:

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, now I'm getting angry. Anyone remember much in the way of formations or much movement in the K-gun? Didn't think so. It was 3 WR, 1 RB and a TE. Kept it simple and quick, the D was on its heels all game. If you are going to have players moving all over the field, pre-snap, and multiple formations, you WILL lose the benefits of the no huddle. I can see lots of illegal procedure penalties in our future if this is the way DJ wants the no-huddle to run.

Hopefully, AVP see this and simplifies the offense to the 15-20 plays we run best and run them over and over again. Thats the only way it can be successful. Adding a play or two a week for specific opponents can work, but only when the bread-and-butter base offense has been mastered. We have heard about execution for years, but this is not rocket science. Don't overload the players, you will see better execution on the plays you run well.

I really hate having such pessimism before the season even starts!

I've been saying this for years. Get a base offensive set of plays and players and run that the majority of the game. The offense has been highly predictable for years based on who was coming in and where they were motioning to. Not only that, but simplifying the offense will begin to give the team an identity; something they haven't had in forever. It remains to be seen whether or not AVP can/will do this, though.

I do find it interesting that all the same criticisms that are being leveled against Turk are precisely the same criticisms that were leveled against Fairchild. Coincidence?

Wanna bet that Bellicheat* has already called and asked Schonert to be an assistant??

I doubt it. I'd bet $100 that Bellicheat could articulate how Schonert's offense works better than Schonert. Not to mention how to shut it down without breaking a sweat.

UPDATE: We're told that the new offensive coordinator will be quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt.

Great, he has been doing an outstanding job coaching the QBs. Maybe the whole offense will have their heads where the sun don't shine instead of just the QBs.

Right now I'm picturing the Buffalo Bills looking like a ant colony. Just one big mass confusing mess.

So he's going to run the same sucky offense, without fixing any of the suckiness...and compound that with never having called a single play in it.

And people think that's improvement?

Do you really think it's true that just because AVP never called a single play means that he just stood on the sidelines waiting to chat with Trent? I would think (at minimum, hope) that AVP had input on the plays and would be completely aware of what's happening. If I was him, I'd be thinking about what I'd call in each spot - if not, then looking over it during the week between games.

I honestly believe a lot of this has to do with sucky play-calling, not necessarily a sucky offense. I just couldn't understand some of the calls coming in from an old NFL QB (albeit a backup for many years) who was supposed to have a good understanding of his offense.

Lost in this shuffle is that when the bils were on a 5-1 run to start the season last year Turk was actually credited with some creative formations, motions and good play calling. Then the Bills met the division and the wheels fell off the car (I know captain obvious here).

Anyway, my hope is that AVP can bring some creativity back. I do not think you need to change the entire scheme but you can put your players in a postion to do well. tent edwards certainly hinted at a loss of confidence in Schonert. Wonder what he thinks about AVP?

Schefter is reporting that this was Ralphs' call...AVP and Studesville will "share" play calling duties... this should be fun...

I give it until the second quarter of week 2 before Studsville is seen going all "Oregon/Boise State" on AVP on the sideline.

I guess it doesn't matter that:

1) They have a QB that can't execute.

2) An OL that can't block (run or pass).

3) WR and TE's who don't run good routes and drop a lot of balls. What does it say a 3rd or 4th string TE is your leading receiver in preseason.

Not sure what good this does as it doesn't increase the talent level. It just pushes it off to someone else so that they can fail too.

BTW, I heard the Jets are going after Brandon Marshall.

:pirate:

....and an offensive coordinator that couldn't a) improve any of those things or b) design a scheme to best hide those weaknesses.

So he's going to run the same sucky offense, without fixing any of the suckiness...and compound that with never having called a single play in it.

And people think that's improvement?

An offense can't be reinstalled! He can tinker with it, but that is about it. They are called coodinators for a reason. On paper, it can be learned, functionally, it would be a nightmare!