BREAKING NEWS: SCHONERT FIRED

thebandit27

I haven't read the entire thread....I am curious...who makes this call to fire Turk?

My guess is Ralph makes a final decision - and he may very well have been the guy to initiate the firing.

But my guess is....if it was Ralph who initiated it,....did the HC go to bat for Turk? Did the GM?

Or was this a gangbang where everyone laid down and died an just said "I'm thankful I'm not getting the axe".

Does anyone think there was anyone on the staff that went to bat for Turk to keep him there?

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this move for a lot of reasons. First and foremost, Shonert absolutely stinks and always has. Everywhere he has been as a coach, for 20 years, the team he has coached has been brutally bad. Sure, it's not his fault, as he was often the QB coach but still. Extremely little success anywhere. And he sucked here.

I don't mind the timing one bit. The offense has already been installed. Game-planning and play-calling will be the only difference and IMO, there is little chance that AVP could possibly be worse than Shonert. At least there is a chance he is a lot better. In Shonert, IMO, we had no chance.

It also puts some urgency in the team, and hopefully will eliminate some of the complacency now that there is proof people will actually be fired when they suck.

Third, if AVP does a decent to pretty good job, they can just keep the offense as is for awhile. If it doesn't, he can slowly change it to his liking. There is no need for a complete overhaul of a system, and I'm sure there are a thousand plays they can call.

Last, if it's true that Jauron was unhappy about the pace, I am happy about that, too. Because that says to me that he knows he's in trouble and he needs to be a little more attacking.

Ralph also could be the man behind all this.

I haven't read the entire thread....I am curious...who makes this call to fire Turk?

My guess is Ralph makes a final decision - and he may very well have been the guy to initiate the firing.

But my guess is....if it was Ralph who initiated it,....did the HC go to bat for Turk? Did the GM?

Or was this a gangbang where everyone laid down and died an just said "I'm thankful I'm not getting the axe".

Does anyone think there was anyone on the staff that went to bat for Turk to keep him there?

I am pretty sure it was DJ...The head coach almost always has full say over his staff and from the rumors I have heard it was DJ...could be wrong, but thats where I would put my money on

Hang on here....people are actually UPSET by this news?? :pirate:

This offense couldn't possibly be worse if they let Trent just diagram plays on his stomach (you know, nerf football style).

"TO, do a button hook. Everyone else go long."

I can't imagine anyone is upset, amazing to happen on 9/4 though. I think the conversation went like this:

DJ- "good job with the vanilla playbook not tipping our hand for the regular season"

TS- "huh?" "vanilla playbook?" "what are you talking about?"

DJ- "It’s hard being an OC in the NFL preseason.... but you're fired."

This move means that we werent being vanilla all pre-season on purpose. Now what happens to the no-huddle?? If jauron has anything to do with the plays being called its going to be even that much more CONSERVATIVE!!!! Hopefully AVP has the play calling duties and has some BALLS!!! Lets go BILLS!!

I like van pelt but that is really not good news 10 days before the opener. This is going to be a long season. I think I'm gonna need more crown, GO SABRES!!!

In the press conference last night DJ said that Trent was struggling because they have been focused on the Pats* and didn't game plan for the preseason teams. (Which I was actually glad to hear)

So the last four weeks of focus on the Pats* were wasted and now they have 10 days to re-prepare? :pirate:

in reference to firing coordinators right before the start of the season

I don't think the league has lost its soul because of that. Players don't perform they get cut. Same goes for coaches.

Regardless, it does show the dysfunction of the Bills in terms of the management.

A few quick points:

1) This should have happened a year ago.

2) Not sure how this makes a difference considering Van Pelt is going to essentially run the same schemes, though the situational play calling will be different. The team will still run the same lame plays.

3) Maybe Ralph is making a point. Maybe he isn't. I give him credit for trying to shake things up before the regular season starts. It was necessary. But, I think this points to the larger point that Ralph has NEVER accepted. Good coaches cost money. Ralph is an old school guy and has always had a problem paying certain positions more than he believes they should be paid. Its not even an idea of who the person is. Ralph simply will never pay a GM or a coach the kind of money that those positions demand in this day and age. No? Prove me wrong.

From Buffalo News: "Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. was in attendance at Thursday night's exhibition finale against Detroit."

This is definately a RW move, no way Dickie fires a coordinator 10 days before the season. Ralph got the watch this putrid offense first hand last night and probably immediately talked to Brandon about wanting to make a change and I am sure DJ was informed that he would have to make this move...

With a week to prepare? I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not going to shed any tears about Schonert leaving. I think this'll be good for Edwards in the long run - it certainly can't be much worse. But why pull this monkey sh-- a week before the season starts???? It should have been done in February. Now...the new OC has to game plan with someone else's broke offensive scheme, and with no time to fix the serious problems with it.

There are obvious advantages to dumping Schonert. There are bigger and more obvious advantages to not being total idiots about it.

My sentements exactly.

Im confused...the drunk knuckledraggers in WNY usually call in to WGR and the post game with calls of FIRE THE OC!!!!! about ten minutes after the first game.

All that was done here was actually MAKING THE MOVE ten minutes BEFFORE the first game.

So the brainless got what they wanted yet are still complaining.

Why?

they just like to complain.

Guest dog14787

TO twitters:

Look! i just landed, i dn't kno anything about nothin but let espn & their reliable sources tell ya, I had sumthin 2 do w/this 2!! lol!

So let me apologize now 4 sumhow, sumway, i got the OC fired! I felt like i wsn't gettin enuff balls n preseason! Lol! J/k but I apologize