BREAKING NEWS: SCHONERT FIRED

thebandit27

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a week to prepare? I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not going to shed any tears about Schonert leaving. I think this'll be good for Edwards in the long run - it certainly can't be much worse. But why pull this monkey sh-- a week before the season starts???? It should have been done in February. Now...the new OC has to game plan with someone else's broke offensive scheme, and with no time to fix the serious problems with it.

There are obvious advantages to dumping Schonert. There are bigger and more obvious advantages to not being total idiots about it.

Exactly. This is what happens when there's no GM and no accountability.

Chan Gailey anyone?....lmao.....and we were laughing at K.C. for doing the same thing. So we have 10 days to put a new offense in or will AVP just run Turks offense ?

it would make more sense to keep the same offense and just have AVP call the plays from it....now the 3rd OC calling plays in this awful scheme

So do the Bills still believe in the "No Huddle"? What a joke....

I suspected they were going to abandon the no-huddle after preseason. That no-huddle was a serious abortion of an idea to begin with..."We're going to do the same stupid sh-- we always do, we're just not going to talk about it as much beforehand."

I'm wondering if this will be the excuse for keeping Jauron next year if things go horribly wrong this year?

"Well, we lost our OC right before week 1, and we were just never able to gain any momentum, offense-wise."

"Winning games in the NFL is hard, when Alex Van Pelt is your offensive coordinator."

I hope AVP does well. We'll see.

"Jauron informed his staff that he wasn’t getting what he wanted in terms of pace and being quick with the team’s no-huddle offense. He felt there was limited movement and formations with the scheme. Quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt will now call plays while running backs coach Eric Studesville is still the run game coordinator."

I'm not so sure it was the system that was the problem more so than the play calling.

Good point.

Most teams have the same basic plays and a few they've created to utilize their strengths or to hide their weaknesses.

The big difference is an OCs ability to call the right plays, something I have not seen so far this preseason.

Perhaps Trent's comments about doing what he is coached with the taking what the defenses give me approach was all Turk. It would be nice to see AVP give Trent a vote of confidence to take shots down the field!

why would you assume they will put in a new offense?

I didnt i merely asked if we would, or is AVP just gonna run Turks offense? same players, same system just a new scapegoat....I can hear DJ's excuses now......" Well Alex is a new coach, and it took a while to get the bugs out, however by next year we should have the 3-4 defense figured out"

Guest dog14787
With a week to prepare? I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not going to shed any tears about Schonert leaving. I think this'll be good for Edwards in the long run - it certainly can't be much worse. But why pull this monkey sh-- a week before the season starts???? It should have been done in February. Now...the new OC has to game plan with someone else's broke offensive scheme, and with no time to fix the serious problems with it.

There are obvious advantages to dumping Schonert. There are bigger and more obvious advantages to not being total idiots about it.

The thing about it is even in a perfect situation it was going to be hard to beat New England, with Tom Brady back the Patriots are still the best team in the league in my opinion so lets be realistic, better now then never.

The season for Buffalo probably starts on game two anyway. :pirate:

Typical behind the curve Bills. Hey, everyone else is doing it so it's okay for us to do it! What an effin joke of a team. Did they just realize yesterday that Turk was unoriginal and inept? Now we're handing the keys over to someone with ZERO play calling experience and because he backed up Jim Kelly, he's gonna be great? While I think the move should have been made, the timing is awful. What an absolute embarrassment of an organization.

I'm wondering if this will be the excuse for keeping Jauron next year if things go horribly wrong this year?

"Well, we lost our OC right before week 1, and we were just never able to gain any momentum, offense-wise."

"Winning games in the NFL is hard, when Alex Van Pelt is your offensive coordinator."

I hope AVP does well. We'll see.

I hope so too. AVP's biggest problem is that he's now going to be in permanent catch-up mode this season. If he's smart and has the guts, he'll take a coherent longer-term view and try to implement a stable offensive scheme, even if it's at the expense of the first half of the season.

Given that his boss was just fired for preseason performance, though, it would take a LOT of guts to basically say "I'm going to take my time and do this right, even if it means tanking a few early games."