BREAKING NEWS: SCHONERT FIRED

thebandit27

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that even legal with the radio system? Can you have two people on the sidelines talking to the QB?

Bigger worry is: who decides if the play is a run or a pass? Either the co-OCs argue about it...or they're told which. By Jauron. :thumbsup:

They'll both yell in a play and whoever yells louder wins. Or maybe whichever one Edwards hears.

Oh stop.

He didn't do anything close to bringing his character into question. He protected his coordinator. That's all.

DJ did what nearly every coach would have done in that situation. It does no good to have a pissing contest with your own staff in the press when there are games left to be played. It wasn't even a very GOOD attempt since it was very transparent at the time that it was Turk's call and DJ was just taking the blame.

What press conference were you at/watching? :thumbsup:

He was asked point blank who made the call and said he overruled Schonert's call. That's not rushing to the defense of his staff and that's hardly "transparent". Despite what you may want to think, it is really not that hard to say, "It was my responsibility. It doesn't matter who made the call. Next question." It's really easy. People can take the heat in a situation in a professional way without having to concoct some sort of fantasy. Why would Jauron say, "Yes, I overruled him," if he in fact did not?

Really, it smells like BS, it flies like BS, and it has flies like BS.

Oh, I get it. It was all part of the giant conspiracy to present a mammoth smoke screen to BB for the MNF game. :lol:

He was asked point blank who made the call and said he overruled Schonert's call. That's not rushing to the defense of his staff and that's hardly "transparent". Despite what you may want to think, it is really not that hard to say, "It was my responsibility. It doesn't matter who made the call. Next question." It's really easy. People can take the heat in a situation in a professional way without having to concoct some sort of fantasy. Why would Jauron say, "Yes, I overruled him," if he in fact did not?

Oh, I get it. It was all part of the giant conspiracy to present a mammoth smoke screen to BB for the MNF game. :lol:

Seems like every time the Bills make a seriously boneheaded call, Jauron comes out and says he did it. I don't believe him for a second. He did the same thing on the Edwards INT late in the MNF game against the Cowboys which was a terrible call. It's just the way Jauron operates, he's willing to say things to protect people, even if he looks bad. He could totally not make a call and then blame it on himself for NOT changing it, and then tell people with a straight face "It was my call, my mistake."

Maybe Jauron did overrule him and make the bone headed call. But the argument was initiated by Turk, asking why he over ruled him.

Seems like every time the Bills make a seriously boneheaded call, Jauron comes out and says he did it. I don't believe him for a second. He did the same thing on the Edwards INT late in the MNF game against the Cowboys which was a terrible call. It's just the way Jauron operates, he's willing to say things to protect people, even if he looks bad. He could totally not make a call and then blame it on himself for NOT changing it, and then tell people with a straight face "It was my call, my mistake."

It is why his players love him, willing to take the heat for another persons mistake. Schonert calls the plays, Schonert made that call IMO.

To those who have said they feel blase' about the start of the season, I envy you the lack of interest. Personally, I'm P*SS#D. Count me among those who were hoping the offense looked so bad because they were using preseason to work on the things they did poorly and running a base scheme. While I agree the move needed to be made, and is likely a harbinger of a mid-season coaching change, I'm DISGUSTED with the fact that this SHOULD have been avoided by not retaining this staff in the first place. This, to me, is an admission that this is a wasted season BEFORE IT EVEN STARTS!!! If this is the case, they should write off the season RIGHT NOW, clean house, and start anew, before other teams start the same process and the coaching pool thins. They've already sold a record number of season tickets, so it won't hurt them at the gate. Write it off now, and it gives a new staff essentially an entire season of evaluation because there will be no expectations. We'd rejoice with the 2-3 wins, and get drunk during the losses, but there might be optimism for next season. I feel like the moves are inevitable... why drive that point home further with a lame duck staff and waste more time in the process!

I don't recall the incident you cite. However, bald faced lying does not seem in character for what I know of Dick Jauron.

I have seen many of his post games and I can say unequivocally that he is extremely precise about what he says. He has often, to the point of numbness even, used very ambiguous terms in discussing things with the media. "We need to get better." "We think this is going to work." As a leader and a highly respected man, I find it preposterous that he would talk with the air of heightened diplomacy in one press conference and then make sh-- up out of thin air the next time he was in front of a camera.

Take the topic of this thread. People are claiming Mr. Wilson fired Schonert and Jauron is just being a patsy and taking the blame for Wilson. Jauron having final say on his staff written into his contract, a legal document, notwithstanding. The fact that Mr. Wilson honored Jauron's original assessment that it was best to keep the staff intact notwithstanding. The fact that Wilson is an honorable man and he is good to his word on a deal notwithstanding.

Maybe Jauron did overrule him and make the bone headed call. But the argument was initiated by Turk, asking why he over ruled him.

Turk has a reputation to live up to. :thumbsup:

This conjecture is quite plausible. Most probably, Turk had plenty of input into the play selection and Jauron made the final decision. So, it was Jauron's call, he was not flat out lying. Further, it may not have been the call that Turk thought was the best, which led to some spirited discussions.

Some interesting notes from Jerry Sullivan's chat: (Again, sorry if already posted upthread.)

[Comment From Steve O.]

Sully, could it be that Schonert disagreed philosophically with Jauron? Whose idea was it to institute the no-huddel - Jauron or Schonert? Did Schonert and Dick disagree on how well the experiment was going? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Schonert fan, but, in the end, he gets his marching orders from Jauron, who we know to be a conservative, play "not to lose" coach with no offensive vision...

1:30

Sully: I'm still wondering who called the rollout for J.P. last year in New York. But yes, I imagine there was some disagreement. As I've said, the no-huddle is inconsistent with Jauron's philosophy and persona.

1:38

Sully: Jauron is at the podium. Confirms they removed Turk from his responsibilities. Alex Van Pelt will assume the duties, Studesville will stay as run game coordinator. Says it's nothing they planned on or enjoyable.

1:41

Sully: He says the preseason had something to do with it, but when I asked him how he could judge Turk after games when they admittedly didn't prepare for the opponent, he had no answer. He said they're committed to the no-huddle as their exclusive offens.e

1:42

Sully: He just said he takes some responsiblity for this. Gee, thanks Dick.

1:45

Sully: That's it. They fire the coordinator and give us Jauron for a shade under seven minutes. I know Jauron has a lot on his plate now, but it sure seems like they were in a hurry to get him out of there.

Sully: One thing I've found over the years is that the offensive coordinator is always a convenient scapegoat. Remember Gregg Williams, another mediocrity, firing Mike Sheppard after one year on the job? This will be the third offensive coordinator for Jauron in four years. When does he -- or the organization -- take responsibility for not bringing in a new one? Why is it always some unproven, first-time coordinator? After 40 years in the NFL, shouldn't Jauron know of some veteran guy? Of course, who would want to come to this staff now?
Sully: I think it was a group decision. No Russ Brandon today. I have to wonder if he was involved. I'm hearing behind the scenes that Schonert was very unpopular with players, especially the quarterbacks. Jauron, of course, denied that player input was a factor.
1:50

Sully: Bad owner. Bad front office. Bad head coach. Bad quarterback. Bad offensive line. Bad pass rush. And people think they're a borderline playoff team?

1:53

[Comment From Nick]

Adam Schfter reported on espn that Ralph Wilson made the call

1:54

Sully: It's easy for such national types to speculate and have it perceived as fact. Jauron said Ralph was involved. He's involved in every decision. I'm not saying he didn't order it. But that doesn't mean Adam has any inside info.

Hit the link for a lot more: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/784888.html

If this is true, what a friggin joke of a team we have...4-12, at best.

Which four games, exactly, do you think the Bills can win? Maybe the Texan's and maybe, but not likely, Indy if they don't play their starters and back ups....

Anybody remember 1985? Yikes.....

If you were around for the K-Gun years AVP was a QB back then and ran it sometimes. He's a very smart guy and has a lot of experience with the K-Gun no huddle hurry up offense.

:thumbsup:

How does a 2 yr. 3rd stringer gain a lot of experience with the K-Gun?

He's there for every meeting discussing the gameplan and making suggestions for four years. He also runs it every pre-season game and 8 times during regular season games, starting 3. JMO

OTOH, the line is porous. The shotgun keeps Trent upright long enough to get the ball away. Even if it was only for 3 inches.

True dat.

I believe someone already predicted this, but I think it could very well happen.... Van Pelt will be the interim HC by the end of the season... Or the new HC next season...

With guys like Cowher, Schotty, Gruden and Shanny out there, the ever brilliant Wilson will give the job to AVP... the "fan favorite"... This could get ugly...

The OC change may not be a huge deal... but what comes next is what worries me....

If they name an interim head coach it will be April. JMO

Honestly I love the move. I never really considered that they would do this but give credit to DJ he realized something was wrong and made the only move possible (There isn't a player out there that is available that can make a difference and sadly DJ isn't going to replace himself). Turk did an OK job at the start of last year but he never adjusted to what D's were doing to stop him.

I hope Van Pelt isn't going to be stupidly aggressive though everyone here has to remember that the opposite of conservative isn't stupid. You want to see shots down field but you don't want to throw deep when they should run more or pass shorter. I really want to see Trent and this offense work the field throw over the middle more and work quick screens in addition to throwing deep. I like this move its very proactive but its a bold strategy lets see if it pays off :thumbsup: .

Where does anyone get April is going to be a good Head Coach? he is a special teams coach, that is all. But leave it to Ralph to hire from within and on the cheap instead of paying for a quality/ proven head coach (there are 5 I can think of that is available right now....).

I think this season just became worse, and I think the nightmare will continue for years to come with Wilson not going out and using this chance at the end of the year to get a good GM, HC and Coordinators.

Some interesting notes from Jerry Sullivan's chat: (Again, sorry if already posted upthread.)

1:50

Sully: Bad owner. Bad front office. Bad head coach. Bad quarterback. Bad offensive line. Bad pass rush. And people think they're a borderline playoff team?

Hit the link for a lot more: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/784888.html

Reading Sully's notes, it just seems like he has taken this opportunity to do a blanket bashing of the Bills. While I agree the O looked like a mess in the pre-season, I think there are several bright spots. We cannot ignore them. e.g. Rush D looked good, Maybin made some plays despite missing a majority of TC, our secondary looks good. Bad offensive line ? How can you make a judgment of that so early ? He could have called it inexperienced and unproven, but bad ?

I think our ST and D are good enough for the playoffs. The biggest question was and still is, about the O. Better late than never with the firing of Schonert. I rather go through the pains now than either have this happen half way or not at all till the season ended.

If they name an interim head coach it will be April. JMO

And that would be a much better decision... I've thought about that many times and have seen it mentioned here as the best choice during a season... But the point that I meant was that a guy like Wilson will believe he's going with the "fan favorite" in AVP... Ya know, like bringing back Marv... Wilson:"I can sell a guy like AVP being a former player and all..." :thumbsup: