BREAKING NEWS: SCHONERT FIRED

thebandit27

:thumbsup:

How does a 2 yr. 3rd stringer gain a lot of experience with the K-Gun?

Uh two years of learning the play book, film study, practice, hearing the play calls and observing it first hand on the sidelines game day, etc...just sayin' :thumbsup:

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we will stop seeing the shotgun used 80% of the time. Maybe we will stop seeing the shotgun/empty backfield on on short yardage plays. Maybe teams will not be able to tell if we are going to run or pass depending on our formations. It must be so easy to play D against this team.

OTOH, the line is porous. The shotgun keeps Trent upright long enough to get the ball away. Even if it was only for 3 inches.

If it truly was Jauron's decision, he must realize that the heat is on to succeed.

If it was Ralph's decision, it's about time that he put a boot in someone's ass around here.

My gripe is that AVP is no better than Turk....plus he is inexperienced...>We need an experienced candidate like a Chan Gailey to run this offense...I wish they had made the move to acquire a Gailey rather than promote from inside

The last good OC we had was an experienced one and while he always passed on 3rd and short, he still was our last OC to have a winning season.

:thumbsup:

How does a 2 yr. 3rd stringer gain a lot of experience with the K-Gun?

He doesnt gain much at all..His experience would be running the scout team against the first team defense..If anything he played more of a conventional offense more than the Kgun..Who knows though..TMaybe he knows how to attack defenses..Time will tell..It really is a moot point either way.This team is dead and buried as long asour ownership stays the same..

My gripe is that AVP is no better than Turk....plus he is inexperienced...>We need an experienced candidate like a Chan Gailey to run this offense...I wish they had made the move to acquire a Gailey rather than promote from inside

The last good OC we had was an experienced one and while he always passed on 3rd and short, he still was our last OC to have a winning season.

While I agree with you, fundamentally. I think they'd probably be doing more harm than potential good in 2009 if they brought in a guy from the outside. There's little time to install a new system, new terminology, and all that goes with a new OC from the outside. They needed a change, but they need some semblance of continuity if they want to have a gameplan ready in a week and a half. Unfortunately, the bad part of firing someone so close to the season opener (or mid season) is you're left with few options to replace him.

usually im more reading here than posting, but this topic ill like to throw in my 2 cents

our offense was going nowhere. period. desperation move? very likely. but a move that had to be made. i remember trent saying that he does what the coaches want him to do. and that was allways going for the dump pass? going through his progression hes called it. but in this league its like no limit holdem. throw your chips in.

hopefully alex, who i think learned alot holding the clipboard, can teach trent some about when to push. instead of allways folding.

If you were around for the K-Gun years AVP was a QB back then and ran it sometimes. He's a very smart guy and has a lot of experience with the K-Gun no huddle hurry up offense.

He backed up Kelly. That is not the same as running the K-Gun.

In fact, if you want to pick nits, when he was on the team with Kelly, he was third on the depth chart and backing up Clod Tollins, which was well after when they ran the K-Gun.

I say BS to you. The Pill is (in fact) a quick thinker. Back when he was QB, he was constantly plugging receivers in the back of the head because he was getting rid of the ball so quick. Quicker than those dumbells could remember their routes. He is tremendously smart, but never had the (pro) physical tools. coaching should be his forté.

One thing I did like about the firing is that I think the timing is as good as you can get if you make the bad decision to promote him and the even worse decision not to can him after he showed little last year.

The late canning denies the Bills little unless you can him soon after last season. It does however, make it pretty hard for Belicheat and other opponents to hire Turk to scout the Bills. My guess is that Belicheat is already thinking about giving him an interim job, but my guess is that 8 days is not enough time for it to be worthwhile for NE to glean and install much for the first game.

Schoenert seems likely to end up with a team that opposes us later this season, but every week the Bills will be able to change away from Schoenert's faulty game plan and make him less valuable as a steal for opponents.

I think for the most part opponents are not all that worried about facing the Bills and have no need to steal plans they are going to be able to defeat straight up if the Bills are stupid enough not to jettison alot of Schoenert's thinking and planning.

One thing I did like about the firing is that I think the timing is as good as you can get if you make the bad decision to promote him and the even worse decision not to can him after he showed little last year.

The late canning denies the Bills little unless you can him soon after last season. It does however, make it pretty hard for Belicheat and other opponents to hire Turk to scout the Bills. My guess is that Belicheat is already thinking about giving him an interim job, but my guess is that 8 days is not enough time for it to be worthwhile for NE to glean and install much for the first game.

Schoenert seems likely to end up with a team that opposes us later this season, but every week the Bills will be able to change away from Schoenert's faulty game plan and make him less valuable as a steal for opponents.

I think for the most part opponents are not all that worried about facing the Bills and have no need to steal plans they are going to be able to defeat straight up if the Bills are stupid enough not to jettison alot of Schoenert's thinking and planning.

In essence, why waste your time trying to "steal the blueprints" for something that everybody can see the players can't execute anyway? Would you spend effort picking the brains of an architect trying to understand his blueprint of a castle when you can see the castle hasn't been built and the only defense is a broken section of rotted picket fence?

Is AVP the answer to our problems?

Nope. I really doubt it.

However, can he produce more with these players than Schoenert?

My guess is that this is much easier to do than being an adequate answer.

For now I am willing to live with reality and the reality is that the AVP faces the first step of being more productive than the Turk O.

It is not an incredibly hard lift to better than Turk.

The big mistake was extending Jauron mid season last year before the bottom fell out.

Once Ralph decided to let Jauron have one more year, Jauron made his own bed. Once Ralph saw the preseason unfold, either he or Jauron knew that something had to give.

What week is the bye week? That's when Jauron goes.

Been on the road today (and listening to a truly WGR Schopp/Parker show for part of the trip). This just keeps getting better and better, eh? I can just imagine what the first 24 pages look like ... which means I'm not going back through them, and everything I say has probably already been discussed. Ah well.

Cue the calliope music. Heck, for all I know, this may end up being a stroke of genius -- but right now, it reeks of desperation, true deck-chairs-on-the-Titanic stuff. So I guess all that talk about "continuity" wasn't working out so well? (55-3. Yeah, guess not.)

On my way out the door to a HS game, but I'll leave you with two things Paul Hamilton said when he was on with Schopp/Dog. (Again, someone may have already mentioned this; apologies for any repeats): Ralph Wilson paid Jauron a little visit following the GB game, and he was NOT happy. I'd heard rumors of that, but not first-hand from someone who covered the game. Other tidbit was, Jauron and Schonert got into a screaming match after the infamous Losman rollout vs. the Jets -- the one DJ ended up taking the blame for, remember? A lot of us didn't buy his "it was me" story back then, and it sounds like our suspicions were correct.

Carry on ...