BREAKING NEWS: SCHONERT FIRED

thebandit27

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i know i'm showing my age here, but i'm going to quote the '80's movie 'License to Drive' in light of the current situation with our offense...

"We're dead. We're so dead they're gonna have to bury us twice..."

Game over ladies and gents...no way should we even think about the playoffs, no way should we think of a winning record, NO WAY should we think we can beat the Patriots...

Dick Jauron should have his head examined. How the hell do you fire your offensive coordinator 10 days prior to the season opener after installing the no huddle offense and signing T.O...

This season will be one to remember...(or not so much)..They better have Gruden's number on speed dial.

We are in deep sh--.

Newsflash...

We were in deep schitt before the firing.

I dont know guys......I am both happy and sad at the same time.....dont know how to feel about this....

- Happy because we might see improvement

- Sad because we though we were GOING to see improvement under Turk.....remember when they made him OC and he was giving those interviews on BB.com.....I was looking forward to a much improved offense. It never happened.

Can we now say that the Schonert hire was completely ridiculous?

The offense is still screwed though. They've gone head over heels for this no huddle scheme to try and run an offense behind a weak OL. They have no running game. This can't inspire the team or give them much confidence. AVP has never called plays in the NFL, never run an offense, never made halftime adjustments. Hell, he is green for a QB coach. Throw on top of everything else that AVP has to somehow fix this offense and make it work.

What a mess.

cost cutting move by Ralph :thumbsup: ...and we get Gruden for next year. Start all over again. then repeat every 3 years until real ownership takes over...

I think there's a very good chance gruden winds up coaching for notre dame next year if fatbody weiss has another terrible year

Well, with the successful installation of the no huddle attack, Trent calls all his own plays. So I'm guessin' they just realized we really don't need an OC anyways.

Hmmmm? No, at the press conferences, Jauron is saying that the effect of running the no-huddle is minimized because the coaches call the plays. Trent will only call them occasionally, if the play doesn't get there on time, or if he has to audible.

The offense is still screwed though. They've gone head over heels for this no huddle scheme to try and run an offense behind a weak OL. They have no running game. This can't inspire the team or give them much confidence. AVP has never called plays in the NFL, never run an offense, never made halftime adjustments. Hell, he is green for a QB coach. Throw on top of everything else that AVP has to somehow fix this offense and make it work.

What a mess.

The situation is that reality is reality and thus what do we do now.

Repeated lamenting by folks that we suck and are in deep doo da are understandable but really pretty silly after 24 hours or so let it out now but after this the situation will be the same.

My sense is:

1. Since Jauron apparently did not push this I assume Ralph or Brandon did. Either way it simply emphasizes the deep doo doo. The key I think is at this point if you are Ralph you look at what you got and see what you can salvage.

My GUESS is that you likely find the most competent person internally to do this which is likely AVP and get him to take on the virtually impossible task of getting all he can out of what we got (whatever scheme Turk leaves behind) and tries to fix the many things likely wrong as best he can.

2. Look outside for the chance there is some lightening strike of a savior out there like Chan Gailey who just got canned. Can Gailey fix it? Almost certainly not. Can he make it better. This will not be hard to accomplish as it looks so bad offensively.

3. Open talks with Jauron about how he can prepare for his exit after the season ends. Aggressively leading the team to a win is not Jauron's style. However, moderately leading the team to a soft landing as he departs may be just right for him. 7-9 is going to be hard to accomplish in this situation but may be a goal that fits Jauron's MO.

What a mess.

VanPelt hasn't run an offense before, but the guy is smart as a whip, and he really knows football and offenses inside and out. Did you listen to him when he was the color guy on the radio? He is really really smart.

I'm guessing that he is going to be a big success. Don't know if this year with these players and this line will be the situation, but I think he can do it.

I just got here and I didn't want to read 425 posts first so forgive me if I hit on things that have already been said.

1. Hal-A Lu-YA!!

2. IMO, it wasn't Ralph behind this. I believe it has a lot more to do with DJ, TE and probably TO. I don't think TO yelled for it I just think he was consulted for advice and he was honest. DJ knows it's a make or break year for him. Ralph doesn't have to tell him that.

3. I was hoping this meant they'd hire Chan Gailey but when I found out AVP will be the new OC it made sense. AVP has more experience with the no huddle than almost anyone in the league. AVP is smart too. Schonert has been extremely over rated everywhere he's gone IMO.

4. The endzone will not be forbidden territory anymore.

5. Hal-A-Lu-YA!!!

:worthy::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol:

I'm not sure where all of this is coming from about Ralph making the decision. Call me gullible but I take Jauron at his word that it was HIS decision and he called Ralph for the go ahead. Whatever you think of him as a coach I believe he is an honest man. Hopefully the outcome will be a positive one but to me it shows that Jauron was not settling for mediocrity or in truth down right poor performance. He made a uncharacteristic hard choice and chose to shake things up.

That being said I'm sure he did feel some pressure to shake things up because his job can't be that secure and it was becoming obvious that Schonert was NOT getting it done. Some of Jauron's comments stuck in my head and hopefully the Bills follow through on it. Some points I recall were an attacking offense, sticking to the no huddle and running it at a better pace. All things I want to hear!!! Really, how much worse can you do than Schonert?

Schonert will find a job soon, I expect it'll be Pats with a one-week intern offer.

That's what I thought too, :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if this will this improve our offensive rating in Madden?

Does anyone know if anyone not named Nerdlinger will care?

The situation is that reality is reality and thus what do we do now.

Repeated lamenting by folks that we suck and are in deep doo da are understandable but really pretty silly after 24 hours or so let it out now but after this the situation will be the same.

My sense is:

1. Since Jauron apparently did not push this I assume Ralph or Brandon did. Either way it simply emphasizes the deep doo doo. The key I think is at this point if you are Ralph you look at what you got and see what you can salvage.

My GUESS is that you likely find the most competent person internally to do this which is likely AVP and get him to take on the virtually impossible task of getting all he can out of what we got (whatever scheme Turk leaves behind) and tries to fix the many things likely wrong as best he can.

2. Look outside for the chance there is some lightening strike of a savior out there like Chan Gailey who just got canned. Can Gailey fix it? Almost certainly not. Can he make it better. This will not be hard to accomplish as it looks so bad offensively.

3. Open talks with Jauron about how he can prepare for his exit after the season ends. Aggressively leading the team to a win is not Jauron's style. However, moderately leading the team to a soft landing as he departs may be just right for him. 7-9 is going to be hard to accomplish in this situation but may be a goal that fits Jauron's MO.

I don't think TS was fired for the schemes in the playbook. I think he was fired for when he called them. AVP will make changes slowly to the book over the year. JMO

I just got here and I didn't want to read 425 posts first so forgive me if I hit on things that have already been said.

1. Hal-A Lu-YA!!

2. IMO, it wasn't Ralph behind this. I believe it has a lot more to do with DJ, TE and probably TO. I don't think TO yelled for it I just think he was consulted for advice and he was honest. DJ knows it's a make or break year for him. Ralph doesn't have to tell him that.

3. I was hoping this meant they'd hire Chan Gailey but when I found out AVP will be the new OC it made sense. AVP has more experience with the no huddle than almost anyone in the league. AVP is smart too. Schonert has been extremely over rated everywhere he's gone IMO.

4. The endzone will not be forbidden territory anymore.

5. Hal-A-Lu-YA!!!

:worthy::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol:

I agree. I think this is DJ trying to do his best at keeping his job. He knows he is out of a job if they do not produce. I think AVP will do fine. I do like what DJ said in the Press Conference, that he wanted a more attacking O. AVP has nothing to lose. If he does well the bills win and he gets the OC job for good. If he doesn't everyone gets fired. He know this, he is no idiot. .

I think this also lights a fire into the player. I think DJ was trying to let them see that they need to play with some urgency.

All this means is the *Patsie's* will create some bogus temp coaching job for Schonert next week. At least AVP's wife is hot! But seriously, I heard grumblings of Shonert not listening to input from other coaches and also not giving Trent much of a say in anything. If that's the case, then it's a good move to get him out. But why did it take so long? It's not like all this started last week...