BREAKING NEWS: SCHONERT FIRED

thebandit27

For me it comes down to this: Great move. Questionable timing.

The offensive play calling has been by and large brutal since Schonert took over, IMO. Anything that promotes even the slightest change to that is fine by me. Just don't know why the Jauron, the F.O., whoever, couldn't have come to this conclusion a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, a couple weeks ago would have been nice, but I like this a helluva lot better than a couple more weeks into the future.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You right.. BUT.. And this is a big one. When Ralph passes it will 3 years or less until the Bills relocate to another city. So be very careful for what you wish for.

At this point, I am willing to take that risk in exchange for the chance that a new owner might actually attempt to build a winner in Buffalo.

Wait a minute...Turk sucked but firing him is somehow worse for us? Not saying Van Pelt will be better but Turk was pretty freakin' bad.

PTR

You made a post awhile back about how the QB's in Buffalo seemed to regress, I agreed. The play calling at times was horrific last season.

My problem with Schonert was how JP Losman was supposed to have a break out year in 07 because of how well he finished in 06. Then he really stunk it up and was replaced by Edwards. This season Edwards seems to have regressed like JP did last season.

Remember....this echoes the sentiments of many posters on this board, too.

To think that it is a good idea to fire your OC and replace him with someone with ZERO experience a week before the opener is flat wrong no matter who thinks it. Turk sucks, but it's his sh*tty offense that he is turning over. So a unimaginative offense combined with an OC who has no experience is better?

1.) When DJ was retained he realized he had to do something to make this a better year.

2.) He told Schonert the offense must improve drastically.

3.) Schonert came up with the no-huddle, which DJ liked.

4.) The no-huddle didn't work well in the preseason.

5.) DJ figured AVP could do better with the current offense and made this move.

6.) Russ Brandon, I think, put pressure on DJ to do something.

1 down, several more to go.

Maybe this is over simplifying the issue but I've always been more comfortable with OC's that have actually taken a snap in something other than high school football.

Turk Schonert's bio (from Wikipedia, so could potentially be incorrect):

College career

As a senior quarterback at Stanford University, Schonert followed Guy Benjamin and Steve Dils, who each won the Sammy Baugh Trophy given to college football's top passer, and was backed up by freshman John Elway. Schonert finished as the school's third consecutive NCAA passing champion and set a team record for completion percentage.[3]

Professional career

Schonert was selected by the Chicago Bears in the ninth round of the 1980 NFL Draft but never played for the franchise. He played nine seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, including the Super Bowl XVI and Super Bowl XXIII teams, and spent one season with the Atlanta Falcons. Schonert retired in 1989, finishing his career with 11 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a 7-5 record as a starting quarterback.[4]

Seems to be about on par with AVP's experience, no?

"Jauron informed his staff that he wasn’t getting what he wanted in terms of pace and being quick with the team’s no-huddle offense. He felt there was limited movement and formations with the scheme. Quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt will now call plays while running backs coach Eric Studesville is still the run game coordinator."

OK, now I'm getting angry. Anyone remember much in the way of formations or much movement in the K-gun? Didn't think so. It was 3 WR, 1 RB and a TE. Kept it simple and quick, the D was on its heels all game. If you are going to have players moving all over the field, pre-snap, and multiple formations, you WILL lose the benefits of the no huddle. I can see lots of illegal procedure penalties in our future if this is the way DJ wants the no-huddle to run.

Hopefully, AVP see this and simplifies the offense to the 15-20 plays we run best and run them over and over again. Thats the only way it can be successful. Adding a play or two a week for specific opponents can work, but only when the bread-and-butter base offense has been mastered. We have heard about execution for years, but this is not rocket science. Don't overload the players, you will see better execution on the plays you run well.

I really hate having such pessimism before the season even starts!

Guess the "Turk" came for Turk! :pirate:

LOL!! A great joke to end the great joke that was Schonert...I think Alex will do great...he's been under center and played against our division...this is an improvement for the Bills. Pill has a clue y`all...much more than Schooner ever will.

Yeah, a couple weeks ago would have been nice, but I like this a helluva lot better than a couple more weeks into the future.

Couple of weeks ago would have been nice, yes, but end of last season - when Ralph wanted to do it - would have been even better. At least we would have had a shot at...

A couple of things:

(a) Kudos to the front office or DJ or RW for doing this move NOW. This is a very good move.

(b) The timing is almost completely irrelevant; truly a non-issue.

© There is a BIG difference between offensive schemes and play calling; this is about play calling. Plain and simple.

(d) if you have said anything over the preseason about the poor offense or you are "sick of field goals" you HAVE to love everything about this move. If not, you are simply a negative person who is only happy if complaining.

(e) The Bills show strength and conviction with this move AND a perceived element of risk taking, YET some people on here still complain. This shows heart and strength, yet some of you complain?

(f) There is nothing embarrassing about getting better. This is not pathetic or desperate. This is business.

How can you not love the move and get more excited about the opener? Remember AVP fully understands the no-huddle and the essence of smart play calling....

I'm not so sure about the opener....this change - if anything - intrigues me about what will happen. Before, I would probably have hoped that we were going to see something different than the preseason games, but wouldn't have been surprised if we didn't.

I really don't think AVP has time to install a new scheme in 10 days, but I can see him scrapping the no-huddle. I have a feeling that the coaches realized it just wasn't working, so they can use this as an excuse to drop it.

I agree that this is all about play-calling, as it was miserable last year and the preseason showed no signs of it improving (no-huddle aside). They weren't just going to hand the play-calling to the QB coach with the OC still hanging around and you know Jauron wasn't going to do it, so firing Turk seemed to be the "logical choice".

But if he's smart, he'll also realize that he can't install a new system a week for the season starts. This would be like a group of students reading from a mildly out of date text book, then given a brand new one a week before the final exam and basing the entire semester on that.

What I hope happens is that AVP is given full control of the play-calling and Jauron is out of it completely.

So he's going to run the same sucky offense, without fixing any of the suckiness...and compound that with never having called a single play in it.

And people think that's improvement?

According to this, the pace of the no-huddle wasn't being run quickly enough. Surprising....

If it wasn't for the sped up clock in my Madden 10 game last night I would have been getting plays off in 10-15 seconds. Sure, I lost to my buddy, playing as the Steelers at Heinze field, but Trent was able to move the ball for me and at least I put up 34 points...lost 34-35 trying for a two pointer with 22 seconds left. Go for the win, baby!

If I can do it, the Bills most certainly can do it.

And that, gents, is how you interject your own pathetic life into the bigger story of the day.

:pirate: