BREAKING NEWS: SCHONERT FIRED

thebandit27

This looks so JV. To go through the whole preseason and figure out that the wrong guy was at the helm of the offense? This dooms the beginning of the season at the least.

Maybe so, but if they knew the move had to be made, better to do it immediately than 4 games into the season. The season is not doomed.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

say what you will, but avp knows football and has been around great players and coaches(present coaches excluded)

dont be suprised to see buffalo's new oc get tons of lip service after the monday night game against the pats*

i think we'll all be pleasantly suprised with avp's ability to call a game

Guest dog14787
I'm stunned, but I don't know why I am.. :pirate:

I called my bro and he started hooting and hollering, told him Van pelt took over, more hooting and hollering :wallbash:

The Bills just gave up on their season. DJ and Brandon couldn't figure out this move 4 months ago?

Bills gave up the season when The Ralph left DJ in charge... This season is a wash and we'll be seeing a new HC before the end of it. I'll give up a year to put a good couch in that wins games and take the Bills to the playoffs and keep the Bills in Buffalo. Already gave up 9 going on 10...

Typical behind the curve Bills. Hey, everyone else is doing it so it's okay for us to do it! What an effin joke of a team. Did they just realize yesterday that Turk was unoriginal and inept? Now we're handing the keys over to someone with ZERO play calling experience and because he backed up Jim Kelly, he's gonna be great? While I think the move should have been made, the timing is awful. What an absolute embarrassment of an organization.

Remember....this echoes the sentiments of many posters on this board, too.

say what you will, but avp knows football and has been around great players and coaches(present coaches excluded)

dont be suprised to see buffalo's new oc get tons of lip service after the monday night game against the pats*

i think we'll all be pleasantly suprised with avp's ability to call a game

Jim Kelly always used to say that AVP was going to make a hell of a coach someday. We'll have to see.

The bad news is that he was Trent's QB coach and Trent has sucked as a QB this preseason.

"Jauron informed his staff that he wasn’t getting what he wanted in terms of pace and being quick with the team’s no-huddle offense. He felt there was limited movement and formations with the scheme. Quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt will now call plays while running backs coach Eric Studesville is still the run game coordinator."

1.) When DJ was retained he realized he had to do something to make this a better year.

2.) He told Schonert the offense must improve drastically.

3.) Schonert came up with the no-huddle, which DJ liked.

4.) The no-huddle didn't work well in the preseason.

5.) DJ figured AVP could do better with the current offense and made this move.

6.) Russ Brandon, I think, put pressure on DJ to do something.

Is this just another example of how screwed up this whole organization is? So we fire an Offensive Coordinator who shouldn't have even been brought back this year after last years disaster. We let him stay the entire preseason and install his No Huddle offense, and only his No Huddle Offense, no huddles all training camp and preseason. Now he is gone, we bring in a nice guy, probably a smart guy who has what one or two years as a QB Coach, and give him the offense with 8 days to prepare to play maybe the best team in the NFL? Are they going to try to put in a new offense with a little over a week to do it, or stay with the No Huddle that hasn't worked once in preseason? Either way it is bad, bad news for Bills faithful. This season is destined to be one of our worst, without a doubt. What is wrong with this organization? Over the last decade, they have made very few moves that have made much sense. Is there any hope for us and the Bills, or should we just stop routing for them and watch games as if we are watching "Two and a Half Men", just for the entertainment value? Does anyone at OBD have a clue?

I've said it before and I'll say it again... it is unfortunate, but nothing at OBD will change until Ralph Wilson passes on. It is RW that has insisted on hiring bargain basement coaches for the entire existence of the franchise. We got lucky with Marv Levy, but otherwise our coaches, like our franchise, have been mediocre. Until he dies and new ownership takes over, we will not get the front office/coaching personnel in place to make this team successful. Sad but true.

"Jauron informed his staff that he wasn’t getting what he wanted in terms of pace and being quick with the team’s no-huddle offense. He felt there was limited movement and formations with the scheme. Quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt will now call plays while running backs coach Eric Studesville is still the run game coordinator."

:pirate: A coach who paces games at tortise-like speed and has a complete inability to manage the clock complaining that his coordinators aren't setting a quick enough pace? He wants aggressive offensive performance when he specifically believes you coach a game to "be close in the final two minutes", and winning is a matter of luck beyond that? Are you !@#$ing kidding me? Hey, Dick...you're not getting a quick pace because you're a laid-back, casual, milquetoast of a coach!

Jesus H !@#$ing Christ on a pony, what a !@#$ing joke. I'm no fan of Schonert...but I feel sorry for the guy now, if Dick's blaming his own marshmallow-like tendencies on his coordinators.

For me it comes down to this: Great move. Questionable timing.

The offensive play calling has been by and large brutal since Schonert took over, IMO. Anything that promotes even the slightest change to that is fine by me. Just don't know why the Jauron, the F.O., whoever, couldn't have come to this conclusion a couple weeks ago.

Maybe this is over simplifying the issue but I've always been more comfortable with OC's that have actually taken a snap in something other than high school football.

Van Pelt was never the most talented QB in the league but the guy got every ounce out of the talent he had. It seems to be a natural progression for him to go from QB coach to OC. I'm sure Trent came off the field after more than a few 3 and outs and said to Alex "Dude, wtf was that play call"?

Maybe now we'll get some life injected into what has been a putrid offense.

Go dougboy!

A couple of things:

(a) Kudos to the front office or DJ or RW for doing this move NOW. This is a very good move.

(b) The timing is almost completely irrelevant; truly a non-issue.

© There is a BIG difference between offensive schemes and play calling; this is about play calling. Plain and simple.

(d) if you have said anything over the preseason about the poor offense or you are "sick of field goals" you HAVE to love everything about this move. If not, you are simply a negative person who is only happy if complaining.

(e) The Bills show strength and conviction with this move AND a perceived element of risk taking, YET some people on here still complain. This shows heart and strength, yet some of you complain?

(f) There is nothing embarrassing about getting better. This is not pathetic or desperate. This is business.

How can you not love the move and get more excited about the opener? Remember AVP fully understands the no-huddle and the essence of smart play calling....

I hope so too. AVP's biggest problem is that he's now going to be in permanent catch-up mode this season. If he's smart and has the guts, he'll take a coherent longer-term view and try to implement a stable offensive scheme, even if it's at the expense of the first half of the season.

Given that his boss was just fired for preseason performance, though, it would take a LOT of guts to basically say "I'm going to take my time and do this right, even if it means tanking a few early games."

I'm assuming he'll have to follow direction from DJ and the front office (RW included) as to how to much he will be able to change the offense this year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... it is unfortunate, but nothing at OBD will change until Ralph Wilson passes on. It is RW that has insisted on hiring bargain basement coaches for the entire existence of the franchise. We got lucky with Marv Levy, but otherwise our coaches, like our franchise, have been mediocre. Until he dies and new ownership takes over, we will not get the front office/coaching personnel in place to make this team successful. Sad but true.

You right.. BUT.. And this is a big one. When Ralph passes it will 3 years or less until the Bills relocate to another city. So be very careful for what you wish for.

Maybe this is over simplifying the issue but I've always been more comfortable with OC's that have actually taken a snap in something other than high school football.

Van Pelt was never the most talented QB in the league but the guy got every ounce out of the talent he had. It seems to be a natural progression for him to go from QB coach to OC. I'm sure Trent came off the field after more than a few 3 and outs and said to Alex "Dude, wtf was that play call"?

Maybe now we'll get some life injected into what has been a putrid offense.

Go dougboy!

You are aware that Schonert played QB for 10 years in the NFL, right?

I hope so too. AVP's biggest problem is that he's now going to be in permanent catch-up mode this season. If he's smart and has the guts, he'll take a coherent longer-term view and try to implement a stable offensive scheme, even if it's at the expense of the first half of the season.

Given that his boss was just fired for preseason performance, though, it would take a LOT of guts to basically say "I'm going to take my time and do this right, even if it means tanking a few early games."

But if he's smart, he'll also realize that he can't install a new system a week for the season starts. This would be like a group of students reading from a mildly out of date text book, then given a brand new one a week before the final exam and basing the entire semester on that.

What I hope happens is that AVP is given full control of the play-calling and Jauron is out of it completely.