Maybin Update

The Dean

I agree w/ Bandit 110%.

It is downright embarrassing. And the league is laughing! I don't think you got the point, he wasn't implying that the NFL is overly concerned with the Bills, he was implying that no one takes the Bills seriously. NO ONE! And it is this kind of stuff that makes us look so dysfunctional.

Yeah, Ralph was voted into the HOF this year because no one takes the Bills seriously. And all the owners rejected the CBA this year (which Ralph was against when it was put into place) is also a terrible indication of how little respect the rest of the league has for the Bills.

Why don't you move to Detroit / Oakland / San Francisco and root for a real loser.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at it as 4 million dollars is 4 million dollars, regardless of how much money you're making.

Maybe it's a couple vacation homes you'll enjoy for the rest of your life.

Maybe it's seed money for a charitable foundation you want to start.

Maybe it's a get out of jail free card,

Whatever it is, it's still 4 million dollars and no exterior factors can change that.

I'm also somewhat annoyed by this unnecessary delay and I agree that both sides look like incompetent asshats because of it. But a deal will get done eventually so there's little point in getting so worked up about it (not referring to you).

I just think the idea of p-shawing 4 million dollars is crazy talk.

So if Maybin asked for 50 million and they offered him half that, you would agree with the logic of this Maybin response: "damn, you want me to give Ralph Wilson 25 million dollars?"?

Again, Maybin has nothing, so he can concede nothing.

was Maybin even considered a top 15 pick by scouts (other than Bills scouts) or any draft-niks?...I can't remember if everyone thought Buffalo was reaching for this guy or not....ok so if , lets say, Maybin wasn't slotted as a top 15 pick and Crabtree gets his slotted top 5 money...since Maybin is holding out and waiting on Crabtree, couldn't Buffalo say "ok..we picked you at #11 but you were slotted for #20...so since you want a deal like Crabtree, then we will pay you #20 money,cuz that was your slotted mock draft #)..?...I could be wrong, but it seems, if they are waiting on Crabtree and how he gets paid, then Buffalo should be able to deploy the same tactics against Maybin...this and other reasons say to me that if I'm Maybin, I better sign soon.

So if Maybin asked for 50 million and they offered him half that, you would agree with the logic of this Maybin response: "damn, you want me to give Ralph Wilson 25 million dollars?"?

Again, Maybin has nothing, so he can concede nothing.

Thats kinda how I look at it WEO. Its a bit of a reach I guess but so is expecting over $30 million just cause Crabtree might get it when everyone else around is only getting $20-$25 million.

I also think it's ironic that the three drafted highest holdouts have issues associateed with each:

1. Andre Smith--weight and possible discipline/attitude issues; suspended for bowl game for undisclosed issues; stock dropped drastically for walking out of the combine

2. Michael Crabtree--didn't run the 40 due to injured foot; questions about being a system player; and more injuries

3. Aaron Maybin--concerns whether 1 year wonder; tweener, not sure if can maintain a DE's weight when he's at that threshold now

Makes you wonder if they wanna cash out early just in case they don't they don't end up performing and warranting a follow on top tier contract.

That's what I'm thinking too. Get it all now while you can

This "holdout" goes to the very heart of who Maybin is, and I don't like it one bit. How many years, season after season, do we hear of draftees holding out like this, only to have it retard their growth and/or the ability to be a difference maker? He HAS the ability to tell his agent, "Look, I need to be there, get this deal done", and yet he hasn't done anything!

He's lucky this is August 19th, because if he isn't signed by September 7th at the latest, he's going to be vilified horribly in the WNY press and by Bills fans everywhere, and rightfully so. GET THE DEAL DONE!!!!!!!! WTF?!?!

I agree w/ Bandit 110%.

It is downright embarrassing. And the league is laughing! I don't think you got the point, he wasn't implying that the NFL is overly concerned with the Bills, he was implying that no one takes the Bills seriously. NO ONE! And it is this kind of stuff that makes us look so dysfunctional.

I ranted about this last night. I think Maybin is to blame as a product of a rookie culture of entitlement that everyone who watches, promotes or participates in the NFL or College Football has created. Yes, indirectly that means you and me. Lets stop thinking Maybin is the exception to the rule. I'm not sure what the numbers are, but unless Maybin is asking for Tyson Jackson money, I don't think the man is crazy, I just think he is the product of a system that promotes this kind of behavior.

As for the Bills, it is unacceptable that a team that so desperately depends on "rookie impact" is failing in getting their number 1 pick to camp. If he is the selfish jerk that all of these posters claim him to be, well they should have known it before that drafted him because believe it or not NFL TEAMS TALK TO AGENTS BEFORE DRAFT DAY! It is not like Maybin's agent pulled a fast one on the Bills and was like, oh by the way, you drafted us at 11, but we want top 5 money. Because GUESS WHAT!?!? Agents want their players in camp by the first week too. A hold out is not to the benefit of anyone. And for all of these posters who are claiming that this is some conspiracy by Maybin because he is injured, or drugged up, or lacks confidence in his abilities...well you are CRAZY. And for all of those posters who believe that the Bills all of a sudden realized Maybin isn't that good. You are CRAZY TOO! And even if that was the case, it just further proves out dysfunctional the Bills are by demonstrating out terrible their scouting is.

All in all, I don't think the sky is falling. My frustration is out of the fact that this is the same old Bills. Yes, I know that the Bills have never had trouble signing their 1st rounders in previous seasons, that is not what I'm implying. I'm implying that the people who run the Bills never seem like they are fully in control of their organization. As I said before, the bull is riding them, they are not riding the bull. I would like to see some signs of this organization heading in the right direction, but even the signing of TO cannot mask the re-hiring of Jauron, the overall lack of presence in the FA market over the past few years (aside from Owens), the dismantling of the O-Line without a real back up option that didn't involve putting 5 people in completely new starting positions, etc.. I feel like we plug up one hole and another one opens up.

Sorry for the rant.

A rookie draft pick is not signed and the league is laughing at us? Really?

I look at it as 4 million dollars is 4 million dollars, regardless of how much money you're making.

Maybe it's a couple vacation homes you'll enjoy for the rest of your life.

Maybe it's seed money for a charitable foundation you want to start.

Maybe it's a get out of jail free card,

Whatever it is, it's still 4 million dollars and no exterior factors can change that.

I'm also somewhat annoyed by this unnecessary delay and I agree that both sides look like incompetent asshats because of it. But a deal will get done eventually so there's little point in getting so worked up about it (not referring to you).

I just think the idea of p-shawing 4 million dollars is crazy talk.

So true. Another thought experiment is: Say you are in the market to buy an LCD TV costing $900 in your local store. You already are in the store, and just before you pay your friend calls and says that a store 30 miles away has the exact same TV for $200 less. Do you make the drive ? I certainly would to get the lower price.

Now subsitute a $25,000 car instead of the $900 TV in the above scenario. Do you make the drive ? Most people won't 'cos considering the price of the car, $200 is insignificant.

But the financial situation is exactly the same - a saving of $200 so you should do the drive in either situation (all other things being the same).

Hence, I agree with you Simon that $4 million means a lot no matter what the overall value of the deal.

Lets assume for a second that the 49ers decide to cave and pay Crabtree more than his slotted amount, something along the lines of Heyward-Bey's deal. Does anyone think, for even a second, the Ralph is going to pay Maybin more because of crabtree? Hell no. Ralph is going to tell Maybin to take the #11 money and like it. Maybin will get what the #11 pick is slotted for, something like 5-25-15, and not a penny more. The sooner he accepts this, the sooner we cal all move on.

Note: This is NOT a Ralph is cheap spiel. This is pointing out the fact that Ralph decides who gets paid how much, and when they get paid. You get paid what Ralph wants to pay you when ralph wants to pay you. He's not going to break the slotting system for some whiny sniveling B word of a rookie. It didnt work for Peters, and its not going to work for Maybin.

I'd agree completely. There's no way Ralph and the Bills pay Maybin more just because Crabtree got more. OF course, that doesn't stop his agent from trying. We all know it won't work - just ask Peters. But, I suppose they gotta try. It just sucks, because the guy has now missed all of training camp and half the preseason games. I'd guess it's a very short list of rookies that have missed this much off season time and had any sort of productive rookie year.

But, if this continues and Maybin is a useless acquisition, that will make the Bills look really bad. And yes, people will giggle.

Oh really? Why? Because some a-hole agent overplayed his hand? Because the Bills front office can't predict which rookies will pull this crap? I think you have it backwards. The NFL would laugh more if the Bills let punks like Maybin and his agent push them around.

But I'm curious...what, pray tell, would Union 2008 have done differently? I'd love to know how you would have avoided this holdout. And when you are done explaining that, you can start on health care reform and mid-east peace.

PTR

About 4 million dollars.

But I'm sure you'd gladly give up 4 million dollars to make some strangers happy.

I knew somebody would say this lol

But come on is 4 million worth a chance to start this season, another week and he barley plays against the Patroits, the team we drafted him for, to knock Brady on his ass.

This is one time I don't blame the Bills front office- Maybin you were picked 11th you get 11th money wtf is so hard about that, fire you agent and get in camp- leave it to Oakland to throw a wrench into things by taking a WR 7th overall who was rated a 2nd round pick- well played sir well played.

It appears that Maybin, his agent, and his advisors are among biggest friggin' idiots in the Western world.

Dude, you're making it sound like a hyperbole.

All I am saying is that the Bills look like they are clueless and not entirely able to execute their plan of action for the season.

If you want to argue that this in fact demonstrates that the Bills ARE in control and this was all part of the plan, that is fine. I just think you are wrong.

Some people are arguing that this shows the Bills will not be pushed around or that they know something we don't know. I think that is all horse sh--. The Bills need Maybin in camp and they haven't got him there. I will freely eat my words if word breaks that the Bills have tried hard for Maybin and even offered 15-20% over his slotted value. And if he signs tomorrow, all is forgiven.

But, if this continues and Maybin is a useless acquisition, that will make the Bills look really bad. And yes, people will giggle.

No, I am not defending either side or taking sides. Also not taking the argument the Bills are in control and being pricks about this. It's just that this happens often and to say the league is laughing at us is wrong. Do you think other GM's are making fun of the Bills because of this?

Yeah right. He's probably mad the Buffalo traded him to Philly and JP got a 60 million dollar contract. Which he probably cleared 10-15 percent. He's probably fuming.

I don't think he is mad. I think he gets a kick out of screwing with the Bills FO because they refused to hook him up last year. Kind of like someone who wins but still likes to rub your face in it anyway! That is just who I think Eugene Parker is though.

About 4 million dollars.

But I'm sure you'd gladly give up 4 million dollars to make some strangers happy.

Obviously the salary range is 5 years, $13 to $18 million guaranteed (the balance is invisible ink anyway).

There is a "no lose" median here!

I have not read the entire thread but anywhere between $14.5 to $16M guaranteed seems very fair.

Sending Cousineau to the CFL ended up working very well for the Bills, BTW. :lol:

Also, if this guy is THAT good (11th pick), let him play in the last pre-season game as a free ranger like Biscuit was to see what he has. B-)