Ask Tim Graham

Lori

As most of you already know, ESPN.com writer/blogger Tim Graham joined the Stadium Wall last summer. Since then, he's been a valued source of information on the Bills as well as the rest of the AFC East, and we're thrilled to have him as part of this board.

We realize that TSW members would like to hear his news and views on a variety of topics, so in lieu of people flooding the board with threads asking him specific questions, Tim has graciously agreed to set up shop here. We'll try this format for a while, and see how well it works.

Ground rules:

• Please keep your comments clean. Tim is an honored guest, and we will be moderating this thread to make sure it doesn't get too rowdy in here. (Unless he's the one getting rowdy. It's his thread, after all. :thumbsup: )
  • More than one question per post is fine, although I would ask you to remember that he does already have a full-time job. He promises to check in when he can, but the paying gig naturally takes precedence.
  • And if we start to get a lot of discussion on a particular topic, we might spin it off into its own thread to keep this one from gaining 20 pages a day.

Like I said, we'll see how it goes. And thanks, Tim.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, asking the almighty Tim Graham a few questions sounds fun. I wanted to know if you have heard anything about Freddy jackson. Are we trying to sign him to a multi-year deal, or are we going to wait until the season gets closer, or next season, or what is going on there?

Any idea how the Bills view Donte Whitner? Some fans feel like the results haven't justified the 8th pick in the NFL draft for a safety, but others think his value is not in his ability to force turnovers, rather his ability to play free, strong and corner in nickel packages. Do the Bills consider him a disappointment to this point?

Thanks, Tim.

I've read rumors that Tom Modrak is high on Tenny DE Robert Ayers, possibly to the point that Ayers will be the number one defensive end on the Bills draft board. Have you heard anything to that effect? Any thoughts on Ayers, or the Bills approach to the DE position in general?

Thanks Tim for doing this!

My personal opinion is that the Bills no longer have the money to truly compete in the NFL. They have not for years. It's not Ralph Wilson's fault, he does what he can with the money he has. You have lived in Buffalo, you know the economics of the city. Do you think Buffalo is at a disadvantage just due to lack of money? How big of a disadvantage?

Follow up, if you have thoughts: Since the Bills do so well at ticket sales, why do you think Ralph Wilson rarely raises ticket prices to cover the costs and attempt to compete.

You're a class act Tim. Thanks.

What are your thoughts on the signing on Ryan Fitzpatrick?

My feeling is, the Bills signed him because he won't be able to compete with Trent for the starting job, and so there will not be any controversy over our starting QB.

He is a proven below average QB with no arm and happy feet. With Trents injury history, our #2 QB better be able to play. Do you think he's capable?

what a great idea!

There will be so many questions to answer. Tim will be here all day answering them. Whatever questions you answer will be greatly appreciated.

My question is if you know anything about the Waters Possible trade? and what do you believe the Chiefs are looking for in return? and what sort of deal is Waters looking for as far as restructuring his contract is concerned?

thank you Tim

Tim,

With free agency starting to pick up, or at least it seems so, what 1 free agent do think think the Bills should sign and what free agent do you think the Bills will sign.

Thanks,

David in Rochester

Tim: Last season the Bills were a different team once Edwards lost his confidence to look downfield on passing plays. Are the Bills doing anything specific in the offseason to work with Trent Edwards to relax in the pocket and view his options rather having panic attacks in the pocket and checking down too soon.

All the other moves they are making will mean little if he cannot regain his poise in the pocket.

Tim, are you related to Jefferson Graham, the tech writer for USA Today?

But on a football Q, how true are the rumors that many first week FAs didn't want to hear from Buffalo even if the money was there?

Ground rules:

• Please keep your comments clean. Tim is an honored guest, and we will be moderating this thread to make sure it doesn't get too rowdy in here. (Unless he's the one getting rowdy. It's his thread, after all. :thumbsup: )
  • More than one question per post is fine, although I would ask you to remember that he does already have a full-time job. He promises to check in when he can, but the paying gig naturally takes precedence.
  • And if we start to get a lot of discussion on a particular topic, we might spin it off into its own thread to keep this one from gaining 20 pages a day.

Like I said, we'll see how it goes. And thanks, Tim.

Honored, shmonered. ...

I'm incredibly flattered that anybody would care enough about my opinion to do this. When Lori suggested it, I said I would be thrilled to do it. I have no other such setup with the other three AFC East teams, but any way I can interact with Bills fans, I'm all for it.

Keeping it clean was Lori's rule, not mine. But her judgment is better than mine, so I agree it's a good idea.

Just a couple of thoughts ...

I'll talk about all sorts of topics here that I might not be prepared to write about, but because my byline is the symbol of whatever credibility and integrity I've built up in this profession, there will be some questions I won't be able to answer. In the Internet Age, anything I post here could be construed as a published story.

So the general rule of thumb I'll try to follow is this standard: If you were to run into me at a bar -- the chances are pretty high of that -- and we were to strike up casual conversation, anything I would feel comfortable telling you in that setting, I will tell you here.

I'll try to stay on this as much as I can, but there might be long periods between activity. But this site already is part of my daily routine.

Thanks for letting me hang around.

[so the general rule of thumb I'll try to follow is this standard: If you were to run into me at a bar -- the chances are pretty high of that -- and we were to strike up casual conversation, anything I would feel comfortable telling you in that setting, I will tell you here.

Tim, have you ever been to a wonderful little bar in Davie (rt across the street from Dolphins practice facility) called The Ye Olde Falcon Pub? Highly recommend it.

Anyways If I run into you there, the first one is on me!

So my question is with the free agent signings, what is the biggest need the bills have to fill (besides a new coaching staff)?

Thanks

Scott

Hmm, asking the almighty Tim Graham a few questions sounds fun. I wanted to know if you have heard anything about Freddy jackson. Are we trying to sign him to a multi-year deal, or are we going to wait until the season gets closer, or next season, or what is going on there?

Fred Jackson definitely will be back, but the number of years is the question. He wants a long-term deal, but he's closing in on 30, which is when teams usually are getting rid of running backs. I think since he has received his qualifying offer and can't sign with anyone else, the Bills can get to him whenever. That deal might not get hammered out for a few more weeks.

Thanks, Tim.

I've read rumors that Tom Modrak is high on Tenny DE Robert Ayers, possibly to the point that Ayers will be the number one defensive end on the Bills draft board. Have you heard anything to that effect? Any thoughts on Ayers, or the Bills approach to the DE position in general?

Whatever game plan the Bills have for the draft, they wouldn't be telling me. That info is too sensitive to share outside the organization -- even with people you trust.

You're a class act Tim. Thanks.

What are your thoughts on the signing on Ryan Fitzpatrick?

My feeling is, the Bills signed him because he won't be able to compete with Trent for the starting job, and so there will not be any controversy over our starting QB.

He is a proven below average QB with no arm and happy feet. With Trents injury history, our #2 QB better be able to play. Do you think he's capable?

It's a great signing for Trent Edwards. Based on Edwards' injury history, you have to assume the No. 2 QB will play a couple games. But Fitzpatrick doesn't have the clout to create a QB controversy if he steps in and does well. Edwards is the clear starter, and you don't need Dick Jauron to tell you that (as you did with Losman). That's why a guy like Jon Kitna would have been a headache waiting to happen had he been brought in. The Fitzpatrick signing was a savvy choice as far as propping up Edwards.

Tim, are you related to Jefferson Graham, the tech writer for USA Today?

But on a football Q, how true are the rumors that many first week FAs didn't want to hear from Buffalo even if the money was there?

No relation, but my brother's name is Jeff.

As for the football questions, that may be an issue to s certain extent, but I don't know if that has impacted them in the past few days. Fred Taylor and Chris Baker chose the Patriots because they're the Patriots.

[so the general rule of thumb I'll try to follow is this standard: If you were to run into me at a bar -- the chances are pretty high of that -- and we were to strike up casual conversation, anything I would feel comfortable telling you in that setting, I will tell you here.

Tim, have you ever been to a wonderful little bar in Davie (rt across the street from Dolphins practice facility) called The Ye Olde Falcon Pub? Highly recommend it.

Anyways If I run into you there, the first one is on me!

So my question is with the free agent signings, what is the biggest need the bills have to fill (besides a new coaching staff)?

Thanks

Scott

I drive past it all the time, but I haven't gone in. I live in Coral Springs, too far away from Davie to be setting up at the bar there.

Mr. Graham, isn't it TRUE that you resided in Buffalo? And isn't it also TRUE that you are planning to reside there again?

("OBJECTION! Badgering the witness!")

Your Honor, please this is important.

("I'll allow it")

Isn't it also TRUE that you resided in LAS VEGAS, also known as SIN CITY?

("Oooooooh")

BANG!

("I will clear this courtroom, no more outbursts")

Now, if I asked you who had the best fans in the AFC East, how can we be sure that your opinion, which is clearly that they are Bills fans, has not been tainted by your time in Buffalo and corrupted by your wild lifestyle in Las Vegas?

Answer the question! Who has the best fans in the AFC East, Mr. Graham?

Tim,

Given Buffalo's interest in RB's such as Fred Taylor, Kevin Jones, and DeShaun Foster, who to me seem to be very capable RB's at still at this point in their careers, do you think the Bills may be thinking about may be moving either Lynch of Jackson via trade? Seems these RB's are more suited as a #2 RB than a #3 at this point, so I wonder if the Bills are entertaining the idea of trading Lynch or Jackson and bringing one of these guys in as the backup to whoever we keep. I know Lynch could be looking at suspension, but Jackson has shown to be capable of handling the load just fine, so seems weird we would bring a RB of this caliber in as a #3 RB just in case Lynch is suspended a couple of games.

Seems like AZ (Boldin), Den (Scheffler), and KC (Waters) might be good trading partners if we did decide to move one of our 2 backs...do you have any reason to think the FO is thinking the same thing?

A wombat. I think that's obvious.

Well done; great animal really.

What do you think about the signing of Florence for the defensive backfield? Will he play nickle or dime? Will he hold up in zone? Does this mean that the defense will continue to play more man than the previous years (as seems to be the trend since DJ and PF got here)?

Thanks for stopping by.

It's a great signing for Trent Edwards. Based on Edwards' injury history, you have to assume the No. 2 QB will play a couple games. But Fitzpatrick doesn't have the clout to create a QB controversy if he steps in and does well. Edwards is the clear starter, and you don't need Dick Jauron to tell you that (as you did with Losman). That's why a guy like Jon Kitna would have been a headache waiting to happen had he been brought in. The Fitzpatrick signing was a savvy choice as far as propping up Edwards.

Thanks for the reply!

It's just that, a great signing for Trent Edwards. This isn't the Buffalo Trents. It's the buffalo bills. They aren't giving the team the best chance to suceed, they giving Trent the best chance to suceed. In the FO eyes, I guess that goes hand in hand. If he weren't do injury prone, I can understand it, but that isn't the case.

Keep up the good work Tim!

Just a friendly request to the other posters of this board…Tim is a busy guy, so can we keep the posts here to real questions for Tim so he doesn’t have to work so hard sifting through all these pages to find the questions to respond to? He is nice enough to do this, but we are already on page 3 of this thread and its going to make it hard for him to answer questions if he has to sift through pages and pages of unrelated posts just to find a question.

We have a whole message board to make jokes and have fun, let’s show our appreciation to Tim for taking the time to do this and make it easier for him by keeping this thread to questions only.

Just a friendly request to the other posters of this board…Tim is a busy guy, so can we keep the posts here to real questions for Tim so he doesn’t have to work so hard sifting through all these pages to find the questions to respond to? He is nice enough to do this, but we are already on page 3 of this thread and its going to make it hard for him to answer questions if he has to sift through pages and pages of unrelated posts just to find a question.

We have a whole message board to make jokes and have fun, let’s show our appreciation to Tim for taking the time to do this and make it easier for him by keeping this thread to questions only.

Alpha, as I catch up on this thread, I was just about to post the same thing. Thanks.

Non-football questions to Tim are OK, as are follow-ups and comments on his answers. I like the bar analogy he used; let's make this a conversation, not an interrogation, and have some fun doing it. That said, the off-topic chatter between other posters can move elsewhere. We'll start deleting that stuff if it begins to overrun the thread, but I'd rather not have to do that. I've also been thinking that we might need a new thread every week or two just to keep the length at a reasonable level. (No "new update on Page 2743!", in other words.) But we'll see how that goes.

Tim,

What are your thoughts on Tony Scheffler and how he could possibly be the missing link @ TE that we've been missing since Pete Metzelaars?

I mean, this situation couldn't be any better.. Denver wants to get rid of him because he doesn't fit in their system and we need a receiving TE in the worst way.

edit: oops, beaten by alphadawg on this question already

Tim,

Like everyone else has said, thank you for doing this.

My question is, Ralph has gone on record saying that he knows the product on the field needs to improve for the fans to keep supporting the team. After today, the majority of the high-priced Free Agents have signed and we still have almost all of our 30 million of the cap left. I know that the team wants to extend Peters, but that isn't an upgrade over what we already have. Is there some plan in place that we don't know about, because it's starting to look like there isn't much left to create an inspiration product on the field.

I have no question... I just wanted to say thanks to Lori for the idea and Tim for his candor. This is just one of the many reasons this is one of the best places to get Bills information - period.

So thanks again for the great reading.

I have no question... I just wanted to say thanks to Lori for the idea and Tim for his candor. This is just one of the many reasons this is one of the best places to get Bills information - period.

So thanks again for the great reading.

I'll second those sentiments.

:wallbash: