Ask Tim Graham

Lori

Yeah....OK. If posts to you came off as if you owe me something, I am truly sorry. I thought that I was practically gushing with respect and appreciation, but one never does know for sure how their typewritten word will come off.

In any event, thanks for being here. Lori is a great person and a great friend, so in that sense, have a nice day.

You believe you were "gushing with respect and appreciation," but you leave it as this:

"With total respect, as well as appreciation for you spending time with us, I gotta tell ya that this is hard to believe."

No matter how you make it look pretty, you were telling me I was full of crap.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it because the reports are from guys I respect, but it makes no sense.

What makes this very interesting is it IS in fact coming from legit people, not some guy on his moms computer in a basement...

do you have any additional information you could share with us?

I believe it because the reports are from guys I respect, but it makes no sense.

For me, it does make sense. I think there is a statement being made by the season ticket holding fans. They are not renewing in huge numbers. The Bills are in serious risk. A recession and an uninspired fan base, is a bad recipe for selling your product.

On another front. This team has very little chance of being better than last year. They signed three irrelevant free agents, missed on all the ones that would have been, and there aren't any left. Relying on rookies to fill holes in their first year is a ridiculous expectation. This team is on it's way to 5-6 wins.

Then enter T.O., he could actually make a tangible and intangible difference; immediately.

What makes this very interesting is it IS in fact coming from legit people, not some guy on his moms computer in a basement...

do you have any additional information you could share with us?

6:15 p.m. news conference scheduled. We don't know for what exactly, but I suspect they've either signed him or someone in the front office will explain why they've brought him in. When anybody else has visited and spoken to the press, they've called it "media availability."

Tim, how'd this happen?

This is mind blowing for me. Why would he even sign here, does nobody else want him?

The only explanation I can think of is the Bills FO wanting to boost excitement/ticket sales after last years disaster and retention of Jauron.

In any case, we better get our popcorn ready.

6:15 p.m. news conference scheduled. We don't know for what exactly, but I suspect they've either signed him or someone in the front office will explain why they've brought him in. When anybody else has visited and spoken to the press, they've called it "media availability."

Hey Tim - I'd love to hear Marv Levy's thoughts on this. Of course, Marv's a classy guy so I'm sure he'd avoid saying anything negative.

I understand this move as a stab at selling some tickets. The economy dictates that the Bills make a splash to sell tickets. This is the biggest splash they could make. It's a business move, not a football move.

Now the question becomes, does Trent Edward now score a hottie like Carmella DeCesare or Jessica Simpson (used to be)? There's a correlation between a QB having T.O. at WR and getting a hot girlfriend.

I'm just sayin'. :flirt:

Tim, not trying to be an ass, but no sense from who's perspective? TO or the Bills? Seems like the Bills take a chance on a future HOF WR in a year where the coach will probably be fired if he doesn't go better than .500 in the first 6 or 8 games. This is win now for them and very little downside - they could always cut him mid-season and it would be the same if the contract were not guaranteed, no? If a vet is on the roster for opening day, I was under the impression their salary was guaranteed anyways, so the Bills could cut ties easily. For TO I can see him being embarrassed at being cut in that fashion and not having a lot of suitors, so he signs with the Bills on one year dealt o prove his worth. Then, with a good year here (both on the field and in the locker room) he signs one more big deal and gets a solid last contract. The Bills get a look at a good, but troubled WR for a year - worst case he goes somewhere else after 2009 and they might get a comp pick, while Hardy and Johnson develop, best case he decides he loves it here, signs long-term to finish his career here and opens up a flower shop on the West Side after his playing days are over. Maybe he runs for mayor.

Just wondering what you think about the behind the scenes reasoning on this development, since all I can do is guess at intent - like putting a 1,9000 piece puzzle together and all the pieces being face down!

Tim, not trying to be an ass, but no sense from who's perspective? TO or the Bills? Seems like the Bills take a chance on a future HOF WR in a year where the coach will probably be fired if he doesn't go better than .500 in the first 6 or 8 games. This is win now for them and very little downside - they could always cut him mid-season and it would be the same if the contract were not guaranteed, no? If a vet is on the roster for opening day, I was under the impression their salary was guaranteed anyways, so the Bills could cut ties easily. For TO I can see him being embarrassed at being cut in that fashion and not having a lot of suitors, so he signs with the Bills on one year dealt o prove his worth. Then, with a good year here (both on the field and in the locker room) he signs one more big deal and gets a solid last contract. The Bills get a look at a good, but troubled WR for a year - worst case he goes somewhere else after 2009 and they might get a comp pick, while Hardy and Johnson develop, best case he decides he loves it here, signs long-term to finish his career here and opens up a flower shop on the West Side after his playing days are over. Maybe he runs for mayor.

Just wondering what you think about the behind the scenes reasoning on this development, since all I can do is guess at intent - like putting a 1,9000 piece puzzle together and all the pieces being face down!

Makes no sense because the Bills have avoided these types of signings for years.

Hey Tim,

Regarding the TO signing, how do you think Belichick, Ryan, and Sparano are going to react? Glad that a rival has taken on a headache, or worried because of the guy's talent?

I'm sure they're not thrilled because of how dangerous he can be on the field, but they also know there's a reasonable percentage the move will backfire. Otherwise, all sorts of teams would have been in the mix.

I'm sure they're not thrilled because of how dangerous he can be on the field, but they also know there's a reasonable percentage the move will backfire. Otherwise, all sorts of teams would have been in the mix.

Good job on the line on ESPN BTW. They actually gave you time to complete thoughts and get a full information out which is always nice. :bag:

Tim, You are the man! I love your AFCE blog on ESPN and I'm glad you are taking the time to converse with us Bills fans.

My question for you Tim: Do you thin the Owens signing makes Buffalo a more attractive destination for FA's and other marquee players (Tony Gonzo for example who didn't want to come here last season), will it do the opposite and drive down the attractiveness further or will it make no difference? Thanks

Tim, You are the man! I love your AFCE blog on ESPN and I'm glad you are taking the time to converse with us Bills fans.

My question for you Tim: Do you thin the Owens signing makes Buffalo a more attractive destination for FA's and other marquee players (Tony Gonzo for example who didn't want to come here last season), will it do the opposite and drive down the attractiveness further or will it make no difference? Thanks

I guess it could. But the ultimate turnaround in the organization's reputation will happen when they win more than they lose.

Tim, I rarely disagree with you, when it comes to your take on Bills-related stuff. (which I think might be a problem for you, actually :bag:) Your analysis on the FO structure, is exactly what I have been saying for some time, now. I think some people really haven't worked in organizations with a consensus driven management style.

But, when it comes to the Bills getting TO, I think it make perfect sense. Certainly for the Bills, who have very little to lose, on this one. A one-year deal (at $6.5 mil...are you kidding me?) is genius.

Tim, I rarely disagree with you, when it comes to your take on Bills-related stuff. (which I think might be a problem for you, actually :bag:) Your analysis on the FO structure, is exactly what I have been saying for some time, now. I think some people really haven't worked in organizations with a consensus driven management style.

But, when it comes to the Bills getting TO, I think it make perfect sense. Certainly for the Bills, who have very little to lose, on this one. A one-year deal (at $6.5 mil...are you kidding me?) is genius.

I didn't mean that it makes no sense from a football standpoint.

I meant it makes no sense in that the scenario doesn't compute. The Bills simply haven't operated this way.

I didn't mean that it makes no sense from a football standpoint.

I meant it makes no sense in that the scenario doesn't compute. The Bills simply haven't operated this way.

Ahh...gottcha. Well, due to both the Bills' and TO's desperation, this year, the start aligned. Yes, this is really out of character for Ralph.

For an expanded version of Tim's thoughts on T.O., you might try clicking here: Bills shake up their offense with Terrell Owens.

And here: T.O. gives Bills desperately needed target

And my question: whether this deal ends up being a stroke of genius or a train wreck, your job just got a little more fun today, didn't it?

Tim,

I have two questions, if that's allowed :thumbsup:.

1) What do you think the Bills interest is in Pettigrew. From what I hear, the guy has no speed and is more of a blocking TE. He also appears to have a bit of a personality issue. Isn't this the opposite of what we need, hence the release of Robert Royal?

2) There is a lot of Taboo about trading first round picks. But, with the lack of talent in this years draft, would it not make sense to look at a trade for Owen Daniels who would bring much more value than any guy at number 11?

For an expanded version of Tim's thoughts on T.O., you might try clicking here: Bills shake up their offense with Terrell Owens.

And my question: whether this deal ends up being a stroke of genius or a train wreck, your job just got a little more fun today, didn't it?

I won't miss Joey Porter as much now that I'll have T.O. in my new back yard.

Eventful night to say the least and the wall still stands no server crash.... Did the Bills just sign a no. two receiver or a number one? or do they now have a number one and one A. Evans has been the man, will this push him to be a better player?

Eventful night to say the least and the wall still stands no server crash.... Did the Bills just sign a no. two receiver or a number one? or do they now have a number one and one A. Evans has been the man, will this push him to be a better player?

I don't think either can be labeled No. 1 or No. 2. The critical question is whether T.O. will care about a designation, but I don't think he will as long as the ball comes his way.

Whatever can be said one thing is certain that this signing put the buzz into a rather stagnant team situation.

Thank you kindly for your comment Tim...

I don't think either can be labeled No. 1 or No. 2. The critical question is whether T.O. will care about a designation, but I don't think he will as long as the ball comes his way.

Tim,

I have two questions, if that's allowed :thumbsup:.

1) What do you think the Bills interest is in Pettigrew. From what I hear, the guy has no speed and is more of a blocking TE. He also appears to have a bit of a personality issue. Isn't this the opposite of what we need, hence the release of Robert Royal?

2) There is a lot of Taboo about trading first round picks. But, with the lack of talent in this years draft, would it not make sense to look at a trade for Owen Daniels who would bring much more value than any guy at number 11?

1) Pettigrew is the most complete tight end in the draft. He's a great blocker, but he can catch, too. You're right, though, in that he's not all that fast.

2) The Bills would have to give up a first and a third to sign Daniels, who is a restricted free agent and has been given the maximum tender. But I agree with the gist of what you're getting at.

What happens if it doesn't? Wait, I think we already know that answer.

So now, we need a line good enough to let TE work downfield. A starting LG would help that. Any word yet on Kendall Simmons -- or anyone else, for that matter?

What happens if it doesn't? Wait, I think we already know that answer.

So now, we need a line good enough to let TE work downfield. A starting LG would help that. Any word yet on Kendall Simmons -- or anyone else, for that matter?

So would a starting LT. What's the status with the Peters talks?

Tim, I've heard in separate articles that Dick Jauron either did or didn't have much say in the decision to sign. What do you know about his role in all of this. In all honestly, I can't see DJ wanting TO, despite this being a make or break season for the HC.

I've said it before, if DJ doesn't like this move then I love it.

Tim, I've heard in separate articles that Dick Jauron either did or didn't have much say in the decision to sign. What do you know about his role in all of this. In all honestly, I can't see DJ wanting TO, despite this being a make or break season for the HC.

I've said it before, if DJ doesn't like this move then I love it.

DJ spoke with TO, this afternoon before the deal was done, from what I have read. TO said he like what he heard, from DJ. I can't imagine DJ being such a willing participant to something that had to be done "against his wishes" or over his head. My guess is, even if it wasn't DJ's idea, or first choice, he signed on before the deal was done.

DJ spoke with TO, this afternoon before the deal was done, from what I have read. TO said he like what he heard, from DJ. I can't imagine DJ being such a willing participant to something that had to be done "against his wishes" or over his head. My guess is, even if it wasn't DJ's idea, or first choice, he signed on before the deal was done.

What he said.

If you want details on the dialogue before each pick, I'm sorry. I don't have that kind of inside-the-war room information. Dick Jauron signs off on every move, and everybody answers to Ralph. But based on what I've been told it's a consensus. Modrak pitches the guys he wants. Guy pitches the guys he wants. Jauron approves or disapproves. Overdorf decides who they can pay. Beyond that, I can't help you.

Thanks for confirming my hunch.

Anything exciting happen in AFC East over the weekend?

I don't think they've consciously thrown in the towel, but they sure seem like an organization that has run out of ideas. When that happens, new blood is needed in the front office. They have declined to bring in new blood.

Hey Tim, thanks for answering. I guess I spoke to soon and your right they did not throw the towel in. Woderfull signing in my opinion and wow shocking to say the least. Maybe that saved the Front office, atleast for this year, haha very happy here , Thanks again.

Tim - With TO in the AFC East, and ESPN's and the sports nuts "obsession" with him, your standing within the network just skyrocketed. Something tells me the National Sports World will get to know Tim Graham much better. Congrats!