Ask Tim Graham

Lori

Tim, I've heard in separate articles that Dick Jauron either did or didn't have much say in the decision to sign. What do you know about his role in all of this. In all honestly, I can't see DJ wanting TO, despite this being a make or break season for the HC.

I've said it before, if DJ doesn't like this move then I love it.

According to Sal Cappacio on air, who was given credit from WGR55 as the guy

who broke the story, he said DJ initiated the idea. Don't know much about this Sal

guy, but take it for what it's worth.

http://www.salsports.com/BillsTerrellOwens.htm

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tim:

Any thoughts on this phenomenon of other writers just trashing Buffalo just to trash the city and people of Buffalo? I don't get it. The Bills could have signed a player with the most sparkling off field behavior and I think the media would have trashed him and the city as to how he would ever want to live in such a "terrible" place.

You never hear this type of anger directed at a town like Green Bay, or other cold NFL cities for that matter. What did the poor people of Buffalo ever do to deserve the criticism it receives in the media day in and day out? What ever happened to cheering on the blue collar communities of America?

In all the Philly papers (a town where they have their own inferiority complex on the big city stage), they are ripping Buffalo to shreds. Is there jealousy that the Bills did something, or is this just more of a "trash Buffalo" complex?

Hey Tim:

Any thoughts on this phenomenon of other writers just trashing Buffalo just to trash the city and people of Buffalo? I don't get it. The Bills could have signed a player with the most sparkling off field behavior and I think the media would have trashed him and the city as to how he would ever want to live in such a "terrible" place.

You never hear this type of anger directed at a town like Green Bay, or other cold NFL cities for that matter. What did the poor people of Buffalo ever do to deserve the criticism it receives in the media day in and day out? What ever happened to cheering on the blue collar communities of America?

In all the Philly papers (a town where they have their own inferiority complex on the big city stage), they are ripping Buffalo to shreds. Is there jealousy that the Bills did something, or is this just more of a "trash Buffalo" complex?

I respect the question, and I'm sure you're not alone.

But the word "phenomenon" suggests this is a new trend. People have been writing about Buffalo this way for years.

As for your last question, my answer is "neither." What is there to be jealous of? I'm proud of Buffalo and will be moving back by choice in June, but to think people are writing about Buffalo in this manner to, say, knock it down to Philadelphia's level, is misguided. A "trash Buffalo" complex? Nobody thinks of Buffalo enough to have a complex about it.

Writers mention all of these things about Buffalo because it's easy and, in most cases, true. I'm sure Philadelphians get sick of hearing the Santa Claus line every time some outsider writes a sports story about their town. I grew up in Cleveland. I've heard and read the same jokes for decades.

Yes, we know there is a lot to love about Buffalo. It's a great place to live and raise a family. But the region's shortcomings are numerous ... and obvious. It's not an easy place to recruit NFL players to. Even the biggest Buffalo supporter has to recognize that.

But the word "phenomenon" suggest this is a new trend. People have been writing about Buffalo this way for years.

As for your last question, my answer is "neither." What is there to be jealous of? I'm proud of Buffalo and will be moving back by choice in June, but to think people are writing about Buffalo in this manner to, say, knock it down to Philadelphia's level, is misguided. A "trash Buffalo" complex? Nobody thinks of Buffalo enough to have a complex about it.

Writers mention all of these things about Buffalo because it's easy and, in most cases, true. I'm sure Philadelphians get sick of hearing the Santa Claus line in every time some outsider writes a sports story about their town. I grew up in Cleveland. I've heard and read the same jokes for decades.

Yes, we know there is a lot to love about Buffalo. It's a great place to live and raise a family. But the region's shortcomings are numerous ... and obvious. It's not an easy place to recruit NFL players to. Even the biggest Buffalo supporter has to recognize that.

Buffalonians are pretty thinned-skinned, I think, when it comes to this stuff. But, in a way, it's easy to see why. It doesn't seem as if other cities, in a position to get the same kind of treatment, get bashed nearly as much as the Bufftown.

My only complaint, really, is that I think laziness, and lack of originality, are behind much of the bashing. As you said, "it's easy". I actually have more to say on this subject, but I dont' have the time, at the moment.

(No Spellcheck on this computer...so read at your own risk.)

But the word "phenomenon" suggest this is a new trend. People have been writing about Buffalo this way for years.

Writers mention all of these things about Buffalo because it's easy and, in most cases, true. I'm sure Philadelphians get sick of hearing the Santa Claus line in every time some outsider writes a sports story about their town. I grew up in Cleveland. I've heard and read the same jokes for decades.

Thanks for the response Tim. Living outside of Buffalo, I just get sick and tired of the same old bashing from people that know absolutely nothing about the area.

But as Dean noted, the people from Buffalo collectively need to grow thicker skin...

Tim,

Not sure if you have better access to this information that most, but ...is there a way to see what TO's stats have been against AFC East teams over the past few years?

The first way to get to the playoffs is to take care of your division. Makes me wonder if TO has been successful against our division, and if it's something the team gave consideration to when pimping for TO's services.

Buffalonians are pretty thinned-skinned, I think, when it comes to this stuff. But, in a way, it's easy to see why. It doesn't seem as if other cities, in a position to get the same kind of treatment, don't get bashed nearly as much as the Bufftown.

My only complaint, really, is that I think laziness, and lack of originality, are behind much of the bashing. As you said, "it's easy". I actually have more to say on this subject, but I dont' have the time, at the moment.

(No Spellcheck on this computer...so read at your own risk.)

I'll disagree on the laziness part. If a newspaper wanted to spend a couple thousand dollars to dispatch a reporter to Buffalo to dig around and research and find out everything there was to know about the city, what the reporter would come away with are the same things he already knew: The weather sucks, the economy is crumbling, there's not as much to do as in other NFL markets.

Yes, they'll also discover the charms of the area, that the people are friendly and the schools are impressive (at the price of high taxes). But every city has its charms.

Still, a columnist's point about this particular story would remain the same: Buffalo almost never would be the first choice for an NFL player. Cleveland is the same way, which is why Bernie Kosar remains a demigod there. He came out of college actually wanting to play for the Browns.

But if a writer wants to illustrate why players don't place Buffalo at the top of their wish lists, you get all the same reasons we've heard for years because -- quite simply -- that's exactly what the players think. It's not laziness. It's accurate, and it's reflective of what players truly think.

A reporter could write the story about why Buffalo is a great place to play, but that's a different type of story all together. What people are writing about now -- and will be writing about for the next eight months -- is why Terrell Owens coming to the Bills is so unusual.

If a superstar athlete had his pick of several teams and chose the Bills, then the story lines would be totally different.

Tim,

Not sure if you have better access to this information that most, but ...is there a way to see what TO's stats have been against AFC East teams over the past few years?

The first way to get to the playoffs is to take care of your division. Makes me wonder if TO has been successful against our division, and if it's something the team gave consideration to when pimping for TO's services.

Excellent idea. Based on your note, I've put in a request with our research department. I'll let you know what they compute.

Tim,

The team has addressed some needs thus far (center, back-up QB, #2 WR), but in your opinion what positions must we strengthen in order to even dream up the possibility of a playoff run? At the very least, a defensive end, tight end and perhaps a linebacker sound good to me. Do you agree? Thanks for your time, it's much appreciated!

Tim,

Checked ESPN, took only a few minutes. It looks like he hasnt played the AFC East, at all. I only see him playing us from 2007 and 2001. Strange....

WEEK OPP RESULT REC YDS AVG LNG TD

2 @MIA W 37-20 5 97 19.4 34 1

5 @BUF W 25-24 2 25 12.5 14 0

6 NE L 48-27 6 66 11.0 13 1

12 NYJ W 34-3 6 65 10.8 22 1

3 @NYJ W 19-17 4 38 9.5 11 1

11 @IND W 40-21 6 103 17.2 35 1

12 BUF W 35-0 6 72 12.0 17 1

14 MIA W 21-0 4 43 10.8 28 0

EDIT:

But you can't forget the 2004 SB:

SUPERBOWL NE L 24-21 9 122 13.6 36 0

Tim,

in catches, yards and TDs

NYJ, 3 games

13-163-2

NE, 2 games (not counting Super Bowl XXXIV)

9-127-2

MIA, 2 games

9-140-1

BUF, 3 games

12-166-1

Tim,

The team has addressed some needs thus far (center, back-up QB, #2 WR), but in your opinion what positions must we strengthen in order to even dream up the possibility of a playoff run? At the very least, a defensive end, tight end and perhaps a linebacker sound good to me. Do you agree? Thanks for your time, it's much appreciated!

I think you hit on three big needs right there, but O-line needs to be addressed, too.

I'll disagree on the laziness part. If a newspaper wanted to spend a couple thousand dollars to dispatch a reporter to Buffalo to dig around and research and find out everything there was to know about the city, what the reporter would come away with are the same things he already knew: The weather sucks, the economy is crumbling, there's not as much to do as in other NFL markets.

Yes, they'll also discover the charms of the area, that the people are friendly and the schools are impressive (at the price of high taxes). But every city has its charms.

Still, a columnist's point about this particular story would remain the same: Buffalo almost never would be the first choice for an NFL player. Cleveland is the same way, which is why Bernie Kosar remains a demigod there. He came out of college actually wanting to play for the Browns.

But if a writer wants to illustrate why players don't place Buffalo at the top of their wish lists, you get all the same reasons we've heard for years because -- quite simply -- that's exactly what the players think. It's not laziness. It's accurate, and it's reflective of what players truly think.

A reporter could write the story about why Buffalo is a great place to play, but that's a different type of story all together. What people are writing about now -- and will be writing about for the next eight months -- is why Terrell Owens coming to the Bills is so unusual.

If a superstar athlete had his pick of several teams and chose the Bills, then the story lines would be totally different.

While I agree with this in full, I recall a NFL draft (I think it was the day the Bills traded for Drew Bledsoe) -- The pundits on ESPN were talking about the Bills and Buffalo and Mike Tirico said, and I am paraphrasing, that around the league players usually hate the idea of being drafted by, or traded to, or signing with Buffalo, because of all the points you just made. But once they are there, they usually love it and change their minds and think it's a great place to play. Do you think this is true, or has it been your experience talking to players that this is true? I could believe it. So while a guy like Willis McShakespeare doesn't like Buffalo because of the nightlife, the vast majority of players may indeed actually like being here.

What say you?

in catches, yards and TDs

NYJ, 3 games

13-163-2

NE, 2 games (not counting Super Bowl XXXIV)

9-127-2

MIA, 2 games

9-140-1

BUF, 3 games

12-166-1

So in the 7 non-Bills games: 31 receptions for 430 yds and 5 TDs. Pretty pedestrian per game averages for all 3.

While I agree with this in full, I recall a NFL draft (I think it was the day the Bills traded for Drew Bledsoe) -- The pundits on ESPN were talking about the Bills and Buffalo and Mike Tirico said, and I am paraphrasing, that around the league players usually hate the idea of being drafted by, or traded to, or signing with Buffalo, because of all the points you just made. But once they are there, they usually love it and change their minds and think it's a great place to play. Do you think this is true, or has it been your experience talking to players that this is true? I could believe it. So while a guy like Willis McShakespeare doesn't like Buffalo because of the nightlife, the vast majority of players may indeed actually like being here.

What say you?

I would agree with that. Places are never as bad or as great as their reputations.

Yeah, but you guys get me every day.

I usually will be able to sit down and answer most questions at night, but I will try to stop by once or twice during the day.

Tim, thanks as always.

Does the Bills' brass realize that Donte Whitner has contributed more with his rhetoric than with his play on the field?

Or are they still smitten by him as they were on draft day when they reached for him at #8 overall?

I think you hit on three big needs right there, but O-line needs to be addressed, too.

I think the odds of Pioli trading Waters to Buffalo are slim to none. He won't strengthen a team that plays against his precious Pets* twice a year but he will string Buffalo along for some time to keep them from signing anyone else as long as he can. JMO, would you agree?

Hey Tim,

I have a serious question to ask you. When will your fellow football colleague, Mort, get over the whole Donahoe thing? He still keeps throwing it back in Bills fans' faces.

I've never understood Bills' fans obsession with what Chris Mortensen thinks of Tom Donahoe. I've never once heard Mortensen "throw it back in the Bills fans' faces." I don't recall ever hearing him say anything incendiary on TV. When Mort does bring it up, it's usually in a chat and as a shot at Ralph Wilson, not the fans. He's a fan of Donahoe. He's entitled to his opinion. Big deal.

I've never understood Bills' fans obsession with what Chris Mortensen thinks of Tom Donahoe. I've never once heard Mortensen "throw it back in the Bills fans' faces." I don't recall ever hearing him say anything incendiary on TV. When Mort does bring it up, it's usually in a chat and as a shot at Ralph Wilson, not the fans. He's a fan of Donahoe. He's entitled to his opinion. Big deal.

Tim, certainly agree that this is borderline obsessive and it's not nearly as big a deal as some make it. Having said that, I think what irks fans the most is that Mortensen was full of praise for Wilson during the Donahoe regime, but then suddenly reversed course and has been taking shots at the owner ever since his friend was fired.

Any thoughts on Donte Whitner? :blink:

Hiya Tim, thanks heaps for doing this. :blink:

I have a question concerning the other big surprise move by the Bills this off-season(cutting Dockery).

At the moment we are currently without a starting caliber LG. Do you have any insight as to what direction the Bills are looking at regarding the position? To me it is quite concerning that outside of the loose rumours regarding the trade for Waters that we could be relying on the draft and a no-name FA(with potential...Hangartner) to shore up the inside of the OL.

Tim - I think its fine if Mort doesn't like Ralph Wilson, we all have issues with him, his being personal due to Tom Donahoe. However when the TO story broke, he declared that the "Coaching staff obviously had no say in this decision" and used that to attack Wilson as forcing TO on the team. Since that statement, its been reported that Jauron was for the signing, and Trent Edwards instigated it, yet Mort keeps incorrectly reporting that this was 100% Wilson and continues to attack him for it, tying in his pal Tom Donahoe.

Isn't it his job to report the facts and provide opinions based on those facts? I think he crossed a line here as a journalist by creating a false truth to push his anti-Wilson agenda.

PS - We're lucky to have you covering the AFC East, couldn't have anybody better!

Tim, certainly agree that this is borderline obsessive and it's not nearly as big a deal as some make it. Having said that, I think what irks fans the most is that Mortensen was full of praise for Wilson during the Donahoe regime, but then suddenly reversed course and has been taking shots at the owner ever since his friend was fired.

Any thoughts on Donte Whitner? :blink:

I like Donte Whitner. The thing about safeties, however, is that no other position's naked-eye performance is as dependent on the overall strength of a team's defense. Put Ed Reed on the Bills defense, and he'll look average.

I like Donte Whitner. The thing about safeties, however, is that no other position's naked-eye performance is as dependent on the overall strength of a team's defense. Put Ed Reed on the Bills defense, and he'll look average.

I guess that in and of itself is a reason to avoid drafting a safety in the Top 10 when you have other needs.

Ed Reed would not look average on the Bills defense... that guy is a straight up freak. But I do agree that Whitner would benefit strongly with better talent around him. Thanks.

Also have you heard anything on whether T.O. is going to get to wear #81? James Hardy currently wears that number for the Bills.

Tim - I think its fine if Mort doesn't like Ralph Wilson, we all have issues with him, his being personal due to Tom Donahoe. However when the TO story broke, he declared that the "Coaching staff obviously had no say in this decision" and used that to attack Wilson as forcing TO on the team. Since that statement, its been reported that Jauron was for the signing, and Trent Edwards instigated it, yet Mort keeps incorrectly reporting that this was 100% Wilson and continues to attack him for it, tying in his pal Tom Donahoe.

Isn't it his job to report the facts and provide opinions based on those facts? I think he crossed a line here as a journalist by creating a false truth to push his anti-Wilson agenda.

PS - We're lucky to have you covering the AFC East, couldn't have anybody better!

I think way too much is being made of the Trent Edwards text message as the reason T.O. was signed. Edwards himself downplayed it at his news conference today. I'm confident the Bills would have pursued T.O. in exactly the same manner had Edwards not sent the text.

And just because Jauron signed off on Owens doesn't mean he was all for it. This is a coach who almost didn't keep his job. If an authority in the front office tells Jauron they're interested in a player, his response will be "Yes, sir."

Also, there's a link in my blog to the audio from Mort's appearance on "Mike & Mike in the Morning." Mort does not say it was 100 percent Wilson's idea. Mort doesn't attack Wilson. Mort speculates why Jauron didn't speak on Saturday and says "Ralph Wilson Jr. is 90 years old and wants to get back to the Super Bowl, and that maybe is the reason why this happened."

"Maybe is the reason why" is not 100 percent anything, and it's not an attack. I think people are listening so hard for an agenda they misinterpret the message actually being delivered. Mort doesn't mention Tom Donahoe once in the appearance either.

I don't see any line being crossed by what Mortensen has reported. He has sources I'd give my molars for. Mort gets paid to get information out of them and give an opinion based on that info. I can guarantee you Mort didn't make anything up, and nothing I have heard him report about the Owens signing would I consider out of line.

Actually, the first reports that came out about the Bills being interested in TO said that Jauron was big on the idea of signing TO. So Mort's been incorrectly reporting on it from the start..ignoring reports that came out before ESPN got in on it. (Mort's had a history of being wrong...he reported that Jim Kelly was going to play for Pittsburgh in 1997)

Here's my question, Tim.

If TO starts up his antics early with us, it would likely negate anything he can add on the field. But regardless of how he acts, do you think national media attention will be increased for the season by very much?

It does seem that national media attention on the Bills has been lacking for the last few years and it's been speculated that the reason for the TO signing is partly to create a buzz and more interest in the team as well as improvement in the offense.

I think way too much is being made of the Trent Edwards text message as the reason T.O. was signed. Edwards himself downplayed it as his news conference today. I'm confident the Bills would have pursued T.O. in exactly the same manner had Edwards not sent the text.

And just because Jauron signed off on Owens doesn't mean he was all for it. This is a coach who almost didn't keep his job. If an authority in the front office tells Jauron they're interested in a player, his response will be "Yes, sir."

Also, there's a link in my blog to the audio from Mort's appearance on "Mike & Mike in the Morning." Mort does not say it was 100 percent Wilson's idea. Mort doesn't attack Wilson. Mort speculates why Jauron didn't speak on Saturday and says "Ralph Wilson Jr. is 90 years old and wants to get back to the Super Bowl, and that maybe is the reason why this happened."

"Maybe is the reason why" is not 100 percent anything, and it's not an attack. I think people are listening so hard for an agenda they misinterpret the message actually being delivered. Mort doesn't mention Tom Donahoe once in the appearance either.

I don't see any line being crossed by what Mortensen has reported. He has sources I'd give my molars for. Mort gets paid to get information out of them and give an opinion based on that info. I can guarantee you Mort didn't make anything up, and nothing I have heard him report about the Owens signing would I consider out of line.

I think this is what annoyed the Mort conspiracy theorists today, from a chat he did:

Andy( Albany, NY): Hey Mort, I'm a lifelong Bills fan and would like your thoughts on the Bills retaining Dick Jauron despite 3 straight 7-9 seasons, along with his coaching staff. It seem to me that the Bills coaches have no play-calling imagination. Don't you think its time for a change?

Chris Mortensen: Look, I'm very much on the record that the problem in Buffalo was not Tom Donahoe, wans't Mike Mularkey, isn't Dick Jauron. Why did John Butler run away? You can figure this out but I do think stability is important. If Donahoe hadn't been fired, Mularkey would have stayed and you would be a playoff team by now. Hopefully,it happens for you next year.

Actually, the first reports that came out about the Bills being interested in TO said that Jauron was big on the idea of signing TO. So Mort's been incorrectly reporting on it from the start..ignoring reports that came out before ESPN got in on it. (Mort's had a history of being wrong...he reported that Jim Kelly was going to play for Pittsburgh in 1997)

Here's my question, Tim.

If TO starts up his antics early with us, it would likely negate anything he can add on the field. But regardless of how he acts, do you think national media attention will be increased for the season by very much?

It does seem that national media attention on the Bills has been lacking for the last few years and it's been speculated that the reason for the TO signing is partly to create a buzz and more interest in the team as well as improvement in the offense.

Nobody involved in the process I have spoken to has told me Jauron pushed for Owens. I saw a report that Jauron instigated the Owens signing, but a highly placed source tells me that's absolutely false. Some people have painted Jauron more as a passive observer who didn't protest.

With Owens, the national media attention will increase -- win or lose. The only way I can see it fizzling is if he suffers a season-ending injury. Even a nagging injury would fuel the saga.

I think this is what annoyed the Mort conspiracy theorists today, from a chat he did:

Andy( Albany, NY): Hey Mort, I'm a lifelong Bills fan and would like your thoughts on the Bills retaining Dick Jauron despite 3 straight 7-9 seasons, along with his coaching staff. It seem to me that the Bills coaches have no play-calling imagination. Don't you think its time for a change?

Chris Mortensen: Look, I'm very much on the record that the problem in Buffalo was not Tom Donahoe, wans't Mike Mularkey, isn't Dick Jauron. Why did John Butler run away? You can figure this out but I do think stability is important. If Donahoe hadn't been fired, Mularkey would have stayed and you would be a playoff team by now. Hopefully,it happens for you next year.

I don't know if I disagree with that. Mort could have thrown Polian's name in there, too.

...With Owens, the national media attention will increase -- win or lose. The only way I can see it fizzling is if he suffers a season-ending injury. Even a nagging injury would fuel the saga.

Tim. Why? Buffalo is the most jinxable sports town in the western hemisphere. This like saying shut out with 2 minutes to go in the third.

I don't know if I disagree with that. Mort could have thrown Polian's name in there, too.

C'mon Tim, Polian was a HUGE Wilson mistake...but Mularkey was not taking this team to the playoffs because he'd still have Losman at the helm who is sitting alone in free agency and may be out of the NFL for good. Donahoe drove this franchise into the ground from Johnson to Bledsoe to Losman, to the Mike Williams bust, to firing Rusty Jones, to letting Pat Williams walk, to confiscating fans signs the last few games. That was all Donahoe, and Wilson rightly ran him out of town.

Mort needs to check his feelings for Wilson at the door when he walks into work and lose the cheap shots. Bills fans are tired of hearing about Donahoe every time the Bills are mentioned.

Edit: TD didn't release Smith/Reed/Thomas, my bad.

C'mon Tim, Polian was a HUGE Wilson mistake...but Mularkey was not taking this team to the playoffs because he'd still have Losman at the helm who is sitting alone in free agency and may be out of the NFL for good. Donahoe drove this franchise into the ground from his poor handling of the Smith/Thomas/Reed cuts (2 Hall of Famers), to Johnson to Bledsoe to Losman, to the Mike Williams bust, to firing Rusty Jones, to letting Pat Williams walk, to confiscating fans signs the last few games. That was all Donahoe, and Wilson rightly ran him out of town.

Mort needs to check his feelings for Wilson at the door when he walks into work and lose the cheap shots. Bills fans are tired of hearing about Donahoe every time the Bills are mentioned.

Donahoe arrived in Jan 2001; Reed/Thomas/Smith were released after the 1999 season (incidentally, the last time we were in the playoffs).

I think way too much is being made of the Trent Edwards text message as the reason T.O. was signed. Edwards himself downplayed it as his news conference today. I'm confident the Bills would have pursued T.O. in exactly the same manner had Edwards not sent the text.

Tim,

It stinks to drag you into the Mort hates the Bills stuff.....but I mean, he's so ridiculous with some of the stuff he says it's just silly. I mean, really, I could ask him in his chat if he likes Chicken Wings and he'll somehow figure out a way to tie it back to Tom Donahoe being the man for the Bills job.

I mean, today, he said that if TD was still in charge, he and Mike Mularkey would have this team in the playoffs by now. The guy was no good here, and morale was terrible. If Tom Donahoe and Mularkey are so damn good, why aren't they in charge somewhere else? No one else in the NFL seems to think TD is right for their jobs either.

I don't expect you to comment on this, because if you keep commenting about Mort on a Bills message board, you'll just get sucked in deeper and deeper. But seriously, as a Bills fan, Mort is sickening to listen to anymore.

If this goes horribly awry with TO in town, I mean biblical, boils, bats. the slaying of the 1st born...... the whole Kaballah road show......basically a 10 month deal; No loss.

All that said. can someone get excited?? The Bills got better, and they are not done.

What you think are odds are to get June, Kdieihho (?). Any other free agents available that could be a rotational with a versatile draftee like Everette Brown or Maybin??