Kiper gave Bills a C+

eball

Kiper's Grades

He only gave one A that I saw (Chefs). Didn't trash the Bills at all, just felt the 4th round picks were "reaches" -- which cracks me up.

Bottom line -- I don't believe any of the "experts" believe the Bills did a bad job this weekend, unlike the experts in here.

Bottom line -- I don't believe any of the "experts" believe the Bills did a bad job this weekend, unlike the experts in here.

So we're supposed to listen to the pundits, the mock draft sites, etc. when they agree with what the Bills do, but when they disagree we're supposed to ignore them because they don't know what they're talking about.

His grades were all Bs and Cs, with the exception of the lone A. No curve. Basically, he did it in such a way that it wouldn't piss anybody off. He has completely lost the "edge" he used to have in calling teams out for bad drafts. Pretty useless rankings.

I give the Bills a "B" on the draft. Or course, what do I know--not much.

I'm assuming McKelvin and Hard can start and play well. I think the final verdict on this draft will be whether they hit on any of the other eight prospects. They could all wash out, or there could be some decent role players, or there could be a surprise like Peters (who was an UDFA as I recall). For instance, the tackle in the seventh round, who's only played football for three years, could be a sleeper. Or if the third round DE turns into a great pass rusher and can become at least adequate against the run, then suddenly this looks like a great draft.

But trying to decide what it all amounts to right now is fumbling in the dark.

Uhh huh. Here's Kiper's big board right before the 2005 draft. So he's as smart as Mike formerly from Florida and Steely Dan.

(I picked 2005 because we've seen enough of the 2005 players to see if they are quality.)

1. Cedric Benson, RB, Texas (5-10½, 222) | previous rank: same

Last game: 23 carries, 70 yds. in a 38-37 win over Michigan

Benson is a strong, tough runner who has been incredibly productive in his four years in Austin. He has rushed for 1,000 yards in each of his four seasons, and his ability to block and catch the ball make him a complete back. Benson has tremendous vision and quick feet, and thanks to his powerful lower body the first tackler rarely brings him down. He is not flashy but puts up big numbers against top competition.

2. Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma (6-4, 265) | previous rank: 5

Last game: 2 tackles (1 solo, 1 ast.) in a 55-19 loss to USC

Cody continues moving up the board because of his impressive overall body of work this season. He has been utilized as both a stand-up outside linebacker and a defensive end with his hand on the ground, in much the same way as former NFL standout Kevin Greene. This year Cody finished with 42 tackles (17 for loss, including 10 sacks) and 12 QBH.

3. Aaron Rodgers (jr.), QB, California (6-1½, 205) | previous rank: unranked

Last game: 24-for-42, 246 yds., 1 TD, 1 INT in a 45-31 loss to Texas Tech

Don't put too much stock in Rodgers performance in the Holiday Bowl because he was without his top three receivers. A smart, accurate passer with good athletic ability, Rodgers completed 68 percent of his passes this season. His arm strength is good enough and his release is quick, and the fact that he seems a bit mechanical at times is simply a product of the way Cal head coach Jeff Tedford coaches his quarterbacks to hold the ball at shoulder level. Rodgers is a better prospect than former Golden Bears QB Kyle Boller, now of the Baltimore Ravens.

4. Alex Smith (jr.), QB, Utah (6-3, 207) | previous rank: unranked

Last game: 29-for-37, 328 yds., 4 TDs; 15 car., 68 yds. in a 35-7 win over Pittsburgh

A mobile quarterback who rushed for 631 yards and 10 TDs, Smith is also a very efficient passer who completed 68 percent of his attempts with 32 touchdowns against only four interceptions. He is tremendously intelligent and will pick up on offensive system quickly at the next level, but the one knock is that he somewhat of a finesse passer who did not have to muscle a lot of throws into tight spots in college.

5. Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn (6-0, 230) | previous rank: 2

Last game: 14 car., 68 yds in a 16-13 win over Virginia Tech

Brown showed against Tennessee earlier in the year that he is one of the most complete backs in the nation, running and catching the ball with equal skill. He averaged over six yards per carry this season and had 34 catches. Brown has the size, instincts, power and quickness to put up unbelievable numbers and would be a Heisman candidate if he were the clear No. 1 on the depth chart. An explosive powerhouse who is a complete back.

6. Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan (6-2½, 210) | previous rank: 9

Last game: 10 receptions, 109 yds., 3 TDs in a 38-37 loss to Texas

Edwards was rising after single-handedly taking over the game against Michigan State, catching all three of his touchdown passes in the fourth quarter and overtime. He has the size, athleticism and overall pass-catching skills to dominate games and is doing just that at times this year. Edwards is also no longer riling the coaching staff with dropped balls and lapses in concentration.

7. Carnell Williams, RB, Auburn (5-10½, 207) | previous rank: 3

Last game: 19 carries, 61 yds. in a 16-13 win over Virginia Tech

A very creative and deceptively strong runner who has few peers in terms of pure running skills. Williams does not have imposing size but can still get tough inside yards, a skill which contributed to his 1,307 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns last season. He needs to work on catching the ball out of the backfield, but that's about it. Williams carried 239 times for 1,165 and 12 TDs in 2004.

8. Mike Williams (jr.), WR, USC (6-foot-5, 230 pounds) | previous rank: 4

Last game: Williams did not play in 2004.

Williams is only a junior but dominated the collegiate game for two full years before his bid to join the NFL draft as a sophomore was ended by the courts and he was declared ineligible by the NCAA. Williams will enter the 2005 draft, and the only reason he has fallen from the top spot on the Big Board is because he has not played at all this year. But if he can stay in shape and keep his weight at or below 230, Williams should ultimately be a top-15 pick.

Williams likely would have been a top-10 pick last season because his size, strength and toughness make him a tremendous package who can use his body control and hands to go after the ball over smaller defenders. His two-year totals at USC: 176 receptions, 2,579 yards and 30 touchdowns.

9. Travis Johnson, DT, Florida State (6-4, 292) | previous rank: 8

Last game: Florida State defeated West Virginia in the Gator Bowl, 30-18

Has improved significantly from where he was last year. Johnson has been dominating offensive linemen all year and has spent a lot of time in opposing backfields.

10. Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas (6-3, 233) | previous rank: 7

Last game: 8 tackles (4 solo, 4 ast.), 1.5 TFL (1 sack), 1 PBU, 1 QBH in a 26-13 win over Texas A&M

Led the Longhorns with 125 tackles last season, including 20 stops behind the line of scrimmage. Johnson will finish his career with over 400 total tackles and has also intercepted eight passes over the last two seasons. A great athlete who has a nose for the ball and is all over the field.

11. Troy Williamson (jr.), WR, South Carolina (6-1½, 200) | previous rank: unranked

Last game: 3 rec., 26 yds. in a 29-7 loss to Clemson

Williamson can flat-out fly and will likely end up being the fastest wide receiver in this year's draft. He put up 19.4 yards per catch this season in a non-passing offense, and with his size/speed ratio Williamson should continue to zoom up the draft board.

12. Shawne Merriman (jr.), DE/OLB, Maryland (6-3, 255) | previous rank: unranked

Last game: 12 tackles (7 solo, 5 ast.), 3.5 TFL (2.5 sacks), 1 QBH in a 13-7 win over Wake Forest

A combo guy on the edge who will test of the charts. Merriman benches 385, squats 590 and has a 41½-inch vertical jump that is the best ever for a defensive lineman in Maryland history. But don't forget his production, as he led the Terrapins with 17 tackles for loss and 9 sacks. Merriman cold play outside linebacker in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme, or put his hand on the ground and play end in a 4-3.

13. Adam "Pac-Man" Jones (jr), CB, West Virginia (5-9½, 191) | previous rank: unranked

Last game: West Virginia lost in the Gator Bowl to Florida State, 30-18

Jones is lethal not only a a cover man but also as a kick and punt returner. He is a little raw technically but still an outstanding cover corner, and he has tremendous closing speed and is more than willing to give up his body in run support. In today's NFL, where the rules are tilted in favor of the receivers and corners are unable to become true "lockdown" defenders, that tackling ability in the open field will be just one more asset to combine with his speed, aggressiveness and special teams skills.

14. Roddy White, WR, UAB (6-1, 205) | previous rank: unranked

Last game: 6 rec., 113 yds., 1 TD in a 59-40 loss to Hawaii

Runs a consistent 4.42 in the 40 giving him a size/speed combination in the elite category. White averaged 21.6 yards per catch last year and scored seven TDs, and this season he finished second in the nation in receiving yards per game 121.0) while averaging 20.0 yards per catch. White also held his drops to a minimum this year.

15. Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin (6-4, 260) | previous rank: 6

Last game: 2 solo tackles in a 24-21 loss to Georgia

James missed most of last season with a hip injury but had a great showing in fall camp and carried that momentum over to the regular season. He is currently nursing an ankle injury but still commands double-team blocks. An outstanding pass rusher who is also strong against the run, James was able to get back into form after an ankle injury earlier in the season.

16. Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami (6-0½, 200) | previous rank: 11

Last game: 5 solo tackles 1 PBU in a 27-10 win over Florida

Rolle has consistently proven his mettle against the top wideouts in the country. A perfect example of that came last year when he shut down former Pittsburgh wideout and eventual No. 3 overall draft pick Larry Fitzgerald. Teams did not throw his way this season, yet he was still a force for the Hurricanes with solid run support and tackles in the backfield.

17. Alex Barron, OT, Florida State (6-7, 325) | previous rank: 12

Last game: Florida State rushed for 301 yards in a 30-18 win over West Virginia

Athletically gifted with great footwork as a pass blocker, Barron started 30 games during his career.

18. Shaun Cody, DT, USC (6-4, 288) | previous rank: 15

Last game: 5 tackles (2 solo, 3 ast.), 1 TFL in a 55-19 win over Oklahoma

A versatile performer who can play either end or tackle, Cody helped the Trojans finish first in the nation in rush defense at 79.4 ypg.

19. Channing Crowder (so.), MLB, Florida (6-2, 245) | previous rank: unranked

Last game:3 solo tackles, 1 fumble recovered in a 27-10 loss to Miami

Crowder has sophomore eligibility but is three years removed from his original high school and therefore eligible for the draft. He adjusted immediately to the level of competition as a freshman, finishing second on the team with 106 tackles and starting nine games, the most ever for a true freshman at Florida. Has great toughness and was one of the top-tackling linebackers in college this year despite missing three games with a knee injury. Ideal physical ability for a guy in the middle.

20. Thomas Davis (jr.), S, Georgia (6-3, 233) | previous rank: unranked

Last game: 8 tackles (6 solo, 2 ast.), 3 TFL (2 sacks), 1 FF, 1 PBU in a 24-21 win over Wisconsin

A combo safety/outside linebacker in college, Davis is a weakside linebacker prospect in the mold of Derrick Brooks. Davis was limited at times this season by minor ijuries, but he is an excellent blitzer and a punishing tackler who loves to get down in the box against the run. Were his coverage skills a little better Davis could be a safety in the vein of Roy Williams, but as it is he ranks as an excellent lineabacker prospect.

21. Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn (6-0, 194)) | previous rank: same

Last game: 6 tackles (5 solo, 1 ast.) in a 16-13 win over Virginia Tech

Has 4.4 speed in the 40 and is a physical player who can tackle in the open field and is an asset in run support. Rogers is a respected cover man with good ball skills who has been Auburn's best defensive player this year, and with good showings in postseason workouts and all-star games he could ultimately move into the first round. Consistency, durability and experience against top-level competition in the SEC should all boost his stock.

22. Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma (6-5, 313) | previous rank: 16

Last game: Oklahoma rushed for 128 yards in a 55-19 loss to USC

Equally adept at run and pass blocking, Brown has long arms that allow him to get his hand on defenders and move them off the ball using his good feet and balance.

23. Matt Roth, DE, Iowa (6-3½, 266) | previous rank: 10

Last game: 4 tackles (3 solo, 1 ast.), 1 TFL in a 30-25 win over LSU

A fiery and intense player who is a tremendous natural pass rusher, Roth is a nice complement to standout tackle Jonathan Babineaux. Roth led the Hawkeyes with eight quarterback hurries and three forced fumbles during the regular season and tied for the team lead with eight sacks. His 14 tackles for loss were second on the team during the regular season. That overall consistent body of work is what has elevated Roth in recent weeks.

24. David Pollack, DE, Georgia (6-2½, 265) | previous rank: 13

Last game: 4 tackles (3 solo, 1 ast.), 3 TFL 2 sacks), 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 QBH in a 24-21 win over Georgia

Not physically imposing, Pollack plays with incredible intensity and passion. He is quick off the ball, has great closing speed and wreaks havoc as a pass rusher, as evidenced by his 28 quarterback pressures last season.

25. Bryant McFadden, CB, Florida State (5-11½, 185) | previous rank: 19

Last game: Helped hold West Virginia to 191 passing yards in a 30-18 Florida State victory

He has not intercepted any passes this year but that's because opposing teams respect him and are not attacking his side of the field. McFadden has very good athletic ability and good but not great recovery speed at 4.49. A few more interceptions and big plays would have him in the top 15, but he is a very consistent cover man who will also come up in run support.

There are the initial post-draft grades, which give guys like Kiper something to do and give E$PN a reason to employ them.

The real grades will show up around 2010-2011.

Absofriggenlutely! We won't know much about these kids for a couple years. With the exception of McKelvin. We drafted the BEST CB on our team on Saturday.

GO BILLS!!!

Kiper is a chump.

Everytime I hear him running his yap I think about the b*tch slap Bill Polian gave him on national TV.

Just tell me about the player and spare me your BS about the team needs and 'value'. A 4th round reach? Why? Because it says so on Kiper's 'draft board'? When the guy is on the blame line for something then I'll be interested in his opinions on 4th round draft values and their relation to team needs.

Mike Mayock is a better draft analyst. He is thoughtful, thorough and he knows the difference between facts and opinions.

Kiper should study some film of Mike Mayock.

how can you seriously grade a draft before any one really plays?

Simple...guys like Kiper & Mayock rank all the players before the draft and then hand out post-draft grades based on how teams drafted versus where they had them in their rankings. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not sure why guys like Kiper and Mayock get ripped so much. The other talking heads that participate in the draft coverage who should be shown the door are guys like Keyshawn, Mort, Jamie Dukes, etc...

Do you really believe that these folks put in the same number of hours that a Kiper or Mayock do? The draft when it was Kiper and Berman with the occasional cut to the studio or for an interview was much better than the 5 person sets that both the NFL Network and ESPN are now using. The draft shows now follow the philosophy of the pregame shows...throw 4 or 5 people on a set and have them all talk over each other and yuck it up.

Kiper is a chump.

Everytime I hear him running his yap I think about the b*tch slap Bill Polian gave him on national TV.

I think you mean Bill Tobin. That is, if you are referring to the "Who the hell is Mel Kiper" comment after the Trev Albert/Trent Dilfer debate.

Uhh huh. Here's Kiper's big board right before the 2005 draft. So he's as smart as Mike formerly from Florida and Steely Dan.

(I picked 2005 because we've seen enough of the 2005 players to see if they are quality.)

If you would have read in the same thread you got your opinion from I relented when I found out Maycock liked the draft. He's the best out there and I respect his opinion the most of any of those guys.

Kiper's Grades

He only gave one A that I saw (Chefs). Didn't trash the Bills at all, just felt the 4th round picks were "reaches" -- which cracks me up.

This is the best news ever! I said before the draft if Kiper gave us an A we'd be screwed. A C+ means we're going to the playoffs. An F would have given us a Super Bowl.

PTR

Kiper's Grades

Remember, Kiper doesn't really factor in what types of offenses/defenses a team runs. He just evaluates players. He is no smarter than any of us, and thats by his own admission. Football and talent evaluation isn't rocket science

i heard that 90 of mayocks top 100 went in the first 100 picks.

if that's a true number he is clearly the best talking head on tv covering the draft.

I heard that on NFLN yesterday myself. In short, Mayocks the man to take to Vegas. <_<

C+ is better than F- and overall I think the Brass was happy with the draft as am I. Maybe we could have took a O-Lineman or two but in general I'm happy with what we've walked out of last weekend with.

I think you mean Bill Tobin. That is, if you are referring to the "Who the hell is Mel Kiper" comment after the Trev Albert/Trent Dilfer debate.

Exactly right...

And Mel did not get "bitched slapped" either (refering to the OP)...Tobin came across like a buffoon..And Kiper was right anyway...

All this Mel hating cracks Me up because no single individual is more responsible for the Draft being the event it is today than Kiper...Sure He's opinionated, it's His freaking Job to do EXACTY that...He's a tireless worker who is darn good at what He does...I think Kiper is great...

Just saying... <_<

I heard that on NFLN yesterday myself. In short, Mayocks the man to take to Vegas. <_<

C+ is better than F- and overall I think the Brass was happy with the draft as am I. Maybe we could have took a O-Lineman or two but in general I'm happy with what we've walked out of last weekend with.

How hard is to predict the top 100 players to be drafted.....This is a ball-wash....these guys are getting way too much credit....

He based his opinion almost entirely on his belief that we took a seventh-round TE in Round Four ... Other sources are giving them good rviews. I think MK is making too much of the Fine "reach" ... and yes, I DO agree it was a reach. But don't define our draft by that alone, Mel ...

Well, Corner who was the other 4th round pick wasn't even invited to the combine. Taking him in the fourth is a reach IMO. I trust Maycock a lot more than Kiper but I can see where he's coming from on Corner.

Another good one was when he had Dan Footman ranked in his top 10( I think he was #8 overall). Well Footman did not go until pick 42. It was funny when they showed Mel's best available and #8 lasted until pick 42

Well, Corner who was the other 4th round pick wasn't even invited to the combine. Taking him in the fourth is a reach IMO. I trust Maycock a lot more than Kiper but I can see where he's coming from on Corner.

Mayock said we got really good value with the Corner pick FWIW

All this Mel hating cracks Me up because no single individual is more responsible for the Draft being the event it is today than Kiper...Sure He's opinionated, it's His freaking Job to do EXACTY that...He's a tireless worker who is darn good at what He does...I think Kiper is great...

:w00t:

What are you talking about? How do you not draft a corner with the name CORNER?!?