Robert Royal signed

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Royal is a big, athletic tight end who has found his niche in the Redskins' offense. In the last two seasons, he has hauled in five TD catches. Last season, he logged a career-high 18 receptions for 131 yards, with a long of 29. Royal's first two seasons with the Redskins were cut short due to injuries. In 2003, Royal started six games and caught five passes for 48 yards before suffering a right hip injury that ended his season. In his rookie season in 2002, he did not see action in the regular season because of a season-ending ankle injury suffered in preseason.

How Acquired: Royal was selected in the fifth round (160th overall) by the Redskins in the 2002 NFL Draft.

From Redskins.com. Kinda scary that his best season 18 receptions landed him a 2 mil per year contract. Welcome to the new NFL CBA.

Royal is a big, athletic tight end who has found his niche in the Redskins' offense. In the last two seasons, he has hauled in five TD catches. Last season, he logged a career-high 18 receptions for 131 yards, with a long of 29. Royal's first two seasons with the Redskins were cut short due to injuries. In 2003, Royal started six games and caught five passes for 48 yards before suffering a right hip injury that ended his season. In his rookie season in 2002, he did not see action in the regular season because of a season-ending ankle injury suffered in preseason.

How Acquired: Royal was selected in the fifth round (160th overall) by the Redskins in the 2002 NFL Draft.

From Redskins.com. Kinda scary that his best season 18 receptions landed him a 2 mil per year contract. Welcome to the new NFL CBA.

624746[/snapback]

He also led the readskins with 6 drops!!

Inside One Bills Drive:

Marv: Robert, we don't want you to let you slip through our hands considering what you have accomplished in Washington. so we would like to offer you 10 million over 5 yrs with a 2.5 mill signing bonus.

Robert: (feeling really giddy inside.. trying to contain himself to not blow it..is this for real?) Umm That sounds fair to me, let me call my agent and cancel all my other scheduled visits...

No really, I'm not to excited over this signing but I do believe as someone else had mentioned the signing bonus is spread over 5 yrs, along with what I hope is low base salarys in the early yrs, so maybe he only will count for a million or so this yr..and when it comes time to cut him, the cap hit won't be too bad.

Pete Metzelaars had 27 catches and 1 TD in his first THREE NFL season - before he came to Buffalo.

But it is "WNY fashionable" to whine about everything, so carry on bitches.

624754[/snapback]

Hey us ENY'ers can B word too right?

Hmmmm just noticed something.

The day we released Adams, Milloy and Campbell, the news of Adams release leaked out early...but the Bills didnt make an official statement until much later and announced that not just Adams was cut, but Milloy and Campbell as well.

Its already been leaked that Royal has signed, and that Davis and Triplett came in for a visit...I've got to wonder if the reason Royal's signing hasnt been made "official" yet by BB.com is because they have more signings to announce in a big bunch later tonight?

Just a theory...

Everyone is paying too much attention to the numbers in this case. I'm sure this move is pretty cap friendly over the next 2 years (at least) and gives us another body that can help block and be a possible outlet. This is a small time move and should be treated as such.

The day we released Adams, Milloy and Campbell, the news of Adams release leaked out early...but the Bills didnt make an official statement until much later and announced that not just Adams was cut, but Milloy and Campbell as well.

Its already been leaked that Royal has signed, and that Davis and Triplett came in for a visit...I've got to wonder if the reason Royal's signing hasnt been made "official" yet by BB.com is because they have more signings to announce in a big bunch later tonight?

Just a theory...

624757[/snapback]

If we are signing Royal...I'd feel much better if the other two guys came at the same time. :lol:

$10 million is alot for a TE with no hands. Damb Marv you probally could have gotten him cheaper I don't think anyone else was looking at him.

624676[/snapback]

but you don't know how the contract is set up.

could very easily have lots of backloaded money with a contract that could look like this:

2.5 SB

0.65 1st cap 0.5 + 0.65 = 1.15

0.90 2nd cap 0.5 + 0.90 = 1.40

1.15 3rd cap 0.5 + 1.15 = 1.65

2.00 4th cap 0.5 + 2.00 = 2.50

2.80 5th cap 0.5 + 2.80 = 3.30

Those cap figures for the 1st three years are not bad and if he sucks you cut him after two or three years and move on.

Inside One Bills Drive:

Marv: Robert, we don't want you to let you slip through our hands considering what you have accomplished in Washington. so we would like to offer you 10 million over 5 yrs with a 2.5 mill signing bonus.

Robert: (feeling really giddy inside.. trying to contain himself to not blow it..is this for real?) Umm That sounds fair to me, let me call my agent and cancel all my other scheduled visits...

No really, I'm not to excited over this signing but I do believe as someone else had mentioned the signing bonus is spread over 5 yrs, along with what I hope is low base salarys in the early yrs, so maybe he only will count for a million or so this yr..and when it comes time to cut him, the cap hit won't be too bad.

624752[/snapback]

His cap hit this year is probably in the 1.2mill-1.5mill range.

Granted the guy is no Gates or Gonzales, but to get a starting TE for this change isn't half bad.

624729[/snapback]

I think the question here is, is he a starter or a backup?

Marv just signed his "Pete Metzalaars." Pete paved the may for many of Thurman's runs during the SB years, but averaged just 26 catches per year during his career. Maybe Royal's going to fill that role on this team.

It wasn't his dependable pass catching abilities that endeared Metzelaars to Bills coaches however, as it was his excellent blocking, that cemented him to the Bills roster for 10 seasons. With his massive frame it was very difficult for opposing linebackers to shed a Metzelaars block, to make a tackle.

Just a theory...

624757[/snapback]

My own theory just got shot to hell :lol:

Bills officially announce the Royal signing

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3636

CajunBillsBacker we need your input here since you are the LSU fan of this board.

Tell us how great or how bad this signing was.

624811[/snapback]

Interesting you ask buddy. I haven't paid much attention to RR since he went to the NFL. Royal was never really a big time reciever at LSU, but he was an excellent blocker. He won't light up the scoreboard, but he will do alot of little things, that will make our RB's job alot easier.

I checked snap.stats.com and they didn't have a stat for passes dropped.  I wish they did so I could verify how bad his hands are myself.  Not that I don't trust you guys...I just don't trust ANYONE!

624686[/snapback]

I dunno... I live in the heart of Redskin country and we get all the games, like em or not. I remember lotsa drops for Royal this past year, and I'm not talking about tough, lay-out type chances. I'm talking ball floating down in the flat like a butterfly landing in his hands, and then proceeding to the turf.

Ease up folks......How many QB's has this guy gone through in DC? By all accounts the guy, a starter, can block, but wait we see the guy in one playoff game against the eventual NFC Champion, drop some balls and WE label him as "stone hands"! :lol: We really ought not to go to crazy here, WE are more like Sgt Shultz than Vince Lombardi.....Really folks, we know Nut-ting.

2004 story on Royal

"Robert is very conscientious and smart," Gibbs said. "He has worked extremely hard. Even when he wasn't starting, he was committed all the time in practice."

It was that commitment and work ethic in practice that earned Royal a chance to excel in Gibbs' offense.

"We kept seeing him out here making plays at practice," Gibbs said. "We think he is a young guy who really has some potential."

ESPN's Scouts Inc report on Royal:

Grade: 59 |

Alert: None

Comment:

He is a willing blocker and gives good effort to maintain the block. As a receiver, he came off the ball with good releases and was able to get into his routes quickly. He finds the soft spot in the zone coverage. He will catch the ball away from his body and he has shown he can make the tough catch in traffic. Runs with power after the catch. However, Royal is not going to make a lot of big plays and he is not what you are looking for as a blocking TE. He can not anchor the point of attack. He gets physically manhandled. He does not sustain his blocks , loses his balance and is on the ground, gets cross-faced and does not get any movement at the POA.

ESPN's Scouts Inc report on Royal:

Grade: 59 |

Alert: None

Comment:

He is a willing blocker and gives good effort to maintain the block. As a receiver, he came off the ball with good releases and was able to get into his routes quickly. He finds the soft spot in the zone coverage. He will catch the ball away from his body and he has shown he can make the tough catch in traffic. Runs with power after the catch. However, Royal is not going to make a lot of big plays and he is not what you are looking for as a blocking TE. He can not anchor the point of attack. He gets physically manhandled. He does not sustain his blocks , loses his balance and is on the ground, gets cross-faced and does not get any movement at the POA.

625196[/snapback]

I hope this isn't accurate(especially the part in bold) because if so, the Bills just ate up a couple of million in cap space(for the next 5 years) for a TE that... :blink::)

I hope this isn't accurate(especially the part in bold) because if so, the Bills just ate up a couple of million in cap space(for the next 5 years) for a TE that... <_<  :lol:

625550[/snapback]

Scouts Inc. profiles are usually based on the prior year play, so unless they've updated them already for '05, this analysis may refer to the 2004 season which was Royal's first year as a starter. Clinton Portis' YPC went from 3.8 in '04 to 4.3 in '05, so it's possible Royal's improvement as a blocker may have helped factor into that.

So I guess this means Matt Schoebel probably won't be coming to Buffalo, huh?

625144[/snapback]

He signed with the Eagles - for less $$$, I think.

Cincy Enquirer 3/12/06 Mark Curnutte:

"Tight end Matt Schobel - who had 90 receptions, nine for touchdowns, in four seasons with the Bengals - agreed to a five-year deal with the Eagles. Schobel will receive $1.8 million to sign and will be introduced Monday in Philadelphia. He will work behind starter L.J. Smith in an offense that often uses a two-tight end set."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../603120413/1066