Tua holding out?

6 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm not scared of Tua, but he is good. Not great, but good. I'd rather the Dolphins not sign him and then see them struggle to find another QB for a few years. Even if they find another good QB, it will take 2 or 3 years for him to develop, and then there is no guarantee he is better than Tua. Chances are he'll be worse.

So, I'd rather see a QB carousel in Miami, honestly. Finding an elite QB is extremely hard to do. That's why they have to pay Tua, because even though he isn't elite, he is good, and the alternative is far too risky.

If Penix had lasted until Miami…

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I agree as long as he's playing to his elite level. I've read so much "Josh plays too much golf" or "he's too Hollywood now" and so on. I'd imagine that crowd would not be happy. 
As far as obsessions go. 
my cats name is Lombardi. My fav restaurant is lombardos and I only sit in couches with lumbar support.

Who is your favorite NCAA bracketologist?  What’s your favorite super car?  What’s your favorite forbidden dance?

I've never really understood the contract strategy of "holding out" during voluntary workouts? It seems counterproductive for both sides of the negotiation. It's not like they don't know who Tua is, or what his capabilities are. And I have to believe that there's value in the franchise QB attending these things, if for no other reason than to meet the rookies, and establish his leadership. But, it feels like for a player to hold out diminishes their value, if even slightly. Wouldn't showing up to voluntary team activities send a better message than holding out?

Just my 2¢, but what do I know?

11 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I've never really understood the contract strategy of "holding out" during voluntary workouts? It seems counterproductive for both sides of the negotiation. It's not like they don't know who Tua is, or what his capabilities are. And I have to believe that there's value in the franchise QB attending these things, if for no other reason than to meet the rookies, and establish his leadership. But, it feels like for a player to hold out diminishes their value, if even slightly. Wouldn't showing up to voluntary team activities send a better message than holding out?

Just my 2¢, but what do I know?

Not if the guys throwing the to the people who showed up look terrible.

12 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dumb for him to hold out. I'm sure Miami's FO really doesnt want to give him $50-60M/year.

Maybe that's the issue. The offers from the Dolphins are lower than he expected.

If I were the Dolphins, I'd let him walk. But as a Bills fan I hope he gets himself a big contract there.

Let me ask you this IF Miami would entertain trade offers what do you think Miami could get for him ? 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stuvian said:

Unless they have someone else in mind, the Dolphins need to pay him market value

The Dolphins are faced with the decision on whether or not they can build a team better without Tua or with Tua. In the playoffs two years ago, the Dolphins nearly went the distance with the Bills with Skylar Thompson at QB. Tua is criticized at times as a "system QB".  Since they did not draft a QB this year, I would assume they intend to stay with Tua, but I am not sure its a lock.

Edited by Chaos

8 hours ago, Putin said:

Let me ask you this IF Miami would entertain trade offers what do you think Miami could get for him ? 

I don't know if anyone would trade for him. He's a brittle QB who has had multiple concussions. Two of those being quite scary imo. The next could be his last. Then he has meh arm strength. Which team is going to trade for that and then give him $175M gtd with an annual average of $50M? I don't think there's a market for him. If he would have been a FA, I think he gets a Baker Mayfield type of deal. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dumb for him to hold out. I'm sure Miami's FO really doesnt want to give him $50-60M/year.

Maybe that's the issue. The offers from the Dolphins are lower than he expected.

If I were the Dolphins, I'd let him walk. But as a Bills fan I hope he gets himself a big contract there.

“Dumb for him to hold out” because Miami doesn’t want to give him a big contract? 

That’s the entire reason why he or anybody holds out. 

I’ll break it down… players want as much money as they can get, teams want to give that player as little as possible. 

Player holds out because the team needs him now, team is then forced to give player more than they’d like because they need him to play. 

Is the player as good as the contract will imply. Not typically, but for the team it’s either pay him, or find a new qb when your team is built to win now. 

Just so I’m not accused of plagiarism, I got this from nfl hold outs for dummies. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

but for the team it’s either pay him, or find a new qb when your team is built to win now. 

Dolphins have not achieved meaningful success in the McDaniel - Tua era. In this case, its not clear they are "built to win now".  Unless that means "Built to be a slightly above .500 club."

23 hours ago, Gregg said:

He should get paid well as he did have a good season, but he is not on the level of Mahomes, Allen, Burrow. Also, when the weather gets nasty, he seems to struggle.

The lame narrative surrounding Josh about how elite can he be without Diggs is the true argument behind how good Tua actually is. If Josh had Hill and Waddle he'd be putting up Mahomes' numbers from the first MVP season, and yet with how "good" Tua has looked, he isn't as good as Mahomes was with that Lambo in his garage. 

Tua is playing chicken with ducklings, and the Dolphins know his limitations are real. I'm sure if this was Madden, the fish would've signed Dick Grabber Wilkins to his deal and gave Tua a modest deal way under that of Josh's annual average. 

23 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Either way to me is a good thing.  If he walks who are they replacing him with, likely will be another Andy Dalton type as they are much easier to find than an Allen or Mahomes, or even to do as well as to find another Tua they'd be lucky.

Was it 5 or 6 QB's drafted in the 1st round.  What's the over/under on the number of them who'll earn a 2nd contract with the team that drafted them?

• Like (+1) 1