2024 Draft Embedded--Has Dropped.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Former Bills UDFA Eric Striker was a very productive EDGE in college that didn’t have enough sand in his pants to stick in the NFL

It's a fair comparison in terms of why he dropped in the draft as maybe a size concern. I think Striker and Solomon are very different. 

Solomon 6-1, 246, 34 inch arms, explosive vert. Solomon's lack of size is mitigated by that length. 33 sacks over his career at a lower level of competition. He is an inch and a half shorter than Von Miller with longer arms. 

Striker 5-11, 227, 31.25 inch arms. Not very athletic. He was super productive, 22.5 sacks at Oklahoma in his career, but was way too small and lacked length and really wasn't a great athlete. Perhaps he would have had a chance at success if someone made him an off-ball linebacker. 

I understand the comp as sort of an undersized guy 3-4 type guy, but I think Solomon has a way better chance to stick and have success. 

I tend to agree with Brandon Beane, I am not sure why a 3-4 team didn't take Solomon earlier

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

26 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Former Bills UDFA Eric Striker was a very productive EDGE in college that didn’t have enough sand in his pants to stick in the NFL

Striker was 6' 220 and maxed out at 9 sacks in college.

Pretty different than 6'1 250 with 16 sacks in one year to lead all of FCS.  Also has an unusually long wingspan for his height

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Before the draft Beane said he didn’t have 28 players with a first rd grade and then traded down because of it.  Others have said that this draft class only has about 150 players with a draft-able grade.  I know from the NHL, most teams don’t have 224 players on their draft day lists. My guess is Beane only had 160-180 on his draft board with another 100 on his priority UDFA list.

I do wonder what goes into the making the list.  I imagine the following steps

1. The scouts create a list of 350-400 eligible players and then grade each player from 1-400 based on the combine, film, college coaches info and live viewings.

2. Edit the list based on medical or character issues.  
3. Beane and the higher ups edit the list again after the combine, interviews and the senior bowl.  I think Beane here upgrades kids on intelligence and leadership.  This draft was full of more veteran players who were leaders on their college teams and who excelled at the senior bowl.

4. Beane meets with the coaches to discuss team needs and to get coaches feedback on how someone might or might not fit their system.  My guess is team needs often serve as a tiebreaker between similarly grades players.  This was clearly a needs based draft for the Bills, but I don’t see any real “reaches” because of it.  Some have mentioned Carter was a reach, but Kiper had him 93rd.  
5.  Beane then tiers the players by grade to help him decided when to move up and back.

I am surprised by how close Beane’s board was to Kiper’s Top 150

Pick 33 Coleman; MK 33

Pick 60 Bishop; MK 61

Pick 95 Carter; MK 93

Pick 128 Davis; MK 133

Pick 141 Van Pran; MK 120

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It's a fair comparison in terms of why he dropped in the draft as maybe a size concern. I think Striker and Solomon are very different. 

Solomon 6-1, 246, 34 inch arms, explosive vert. Solomon's lack of size is mitigated by that length. 33 sacks over his career at a lower level of competition. He is an inch and a half shorter than Von Miller with longer arms. 

Striker 5-11, 227, 31.25 inch arms. Not very athletic. He was super productive, 22.5 sacks at Oklahoma in his career, but was way too small and lacked length and really wasn't a great athlete. Perhaps he would have had a chance at success if someone made him an off-ball linebacker. 

I understand the comp as sort of an undersized guy 3-4 type guy, but I think Solomon has a way better chance to stick and have success. 

I tend to agree with Brandon Beane, I am not sure why a 3-4 team didn't take Solomon earlier

21 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Pretty different than 6'1 250 with 16 sacks in one year to lead all of FCS.  Also has an unusually long wingspan for his height

I was just drawing the comparison of a productive tweener falling relative to their production. I haven’t watched a single snap of Solomon, I admit it lol

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Yea he is longer than 6'1 sounds because his arms are freakish.

35 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

🤔

Hansel is literally the last person on Twitterverse that I would be using to back up an argument.

The number of times he has posted delusional arguments, been proven wrong, or perhaps even straight up lied (unconfirmed whether lying or just ignorant) is incredible.

For example: He will say things like: "of those 111 trade ups, there have been 65 cheaper trade ups" ... but then provide zero proof. It is as if he just says things that he hopes are true and hopes no-one double checks. A few minutes later someone in the comments will often completely blow up his stat/argument and he will never acknowledge it. 

I would love to know if Seth Walder is right, or Hansel is right, but neither of them provide any evidence. Literally zero. However, judging by Hansel's reputation alone, I guess I have to lean toward Walder until someone provides contrary evidence. Sports Illustrated also quoted the stat about it being one of the cheapest trade-ups ever.

32 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I was just drawing the comparison of a productive tweener falling relative to their production. I haven’t watched a single snap of Solomon, I admit it lol

Yep I agree. Those tweeners sometimes fall in no man's land. 

Enjoy watching these Embedded Draft videos every year.

That being said, just like the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano we also get the return of the yearly Beane vs McDermott

power struggle, Beane got fleeced on his trade, Beane is lying about how much he like a player, among the other classic draft nuggets.

I do like this year's new twist on the "Beane doesn't have a clue on the importance of the 5th Year Option".

It was a nice change of pace.  Can't wait for next year's draft video!

My favorite part was when Beane replied to Laura Pegula's question about who they were going to pick with, "We're just going to keep

on trading.  We're going to get fourteen 5ths".

That was gold Jerry, gold! 

• Like (+1) 4

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Before the draft Beane said he didn’t have 28 players with a first rd grades and then traded down because of it.  Other have said that this draft class only has about 150 players with a draft-able grade.  I know from the NHL, most teams don’t have 224 players on their draft day lists. My guess is Beane only had 160-180 on his draft board with another 100 on his priority UDFA list.

I do wonder what goes into the making the list.  I imagine the following steps

1. The scouts create a list of 350-400 eligible players and then grade each player from 1-400 based on the combine, film, college coaches info and live viewings.

2. Edit the list based on medical or character issues.  
3. Beane and the higher ups edit the list again after the combine, interviews and the senior bowl.  I think Beane here upgrades kids on intelligence and leadership.  This draft was full of more veteran players who were leaders on their college teams and who excelled at the senior bowl.

4. Beane meets with the coaches to discuss team needs and to get coaches feedback on how someone might or might not fit their system.  My guess is team needs often serves as a tiebreaker between similarly grades players.  This was clearly a needs based draft for the Bills, but I don’t see any real “reaches” because of it.  Some have mentioned Carter was a reach, but Kiper had him 93rd.  
5.  Beane then tiers the players by grade to help him decided when to move up and back.

I am surprised by how close Beane’s board was to Kiper’s Top 150

Pick 33 Coleman; MK 33

Pick 60 Bishop; MK 61

Pick 95 Carter; MK 93

Pick 128 Davis; MK 133

Pick 141 Van Pran; MK 120

What made Beane’s declaration of having less than 28 first round grades interesting to me was Schoen’s later declaration that he only had 11 first round grades on players in this draft. After the draft, both a GM and personnel director in the league told me that they had 18 and 15 first round grades, respectively. Knowing that now, there was no way Beane was gonna trade up or remain in the first round. For him, it was all about sticking to his board (and the thousands of man hours dedicated to constructing it) and maximizing value in this draft. 

Regardless, we won’t know, definitively, how good this draft was for a couple years. Just like it’s always been.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Hansel is literally the last person on Twitterverse that I would be using to back up an argument.

The number of times he has posted delusional arguments, been proven wrong, or perhaps even straight up lied (unconfirmed whether lying or just ignorant) is incredible.

For example: He will say things like: "of those 111 trade ups, there have been 65 cheaper trade ups" ... but then provide zero proof. It is as if he just says things that he hopes are true and hopes no-one double checks. A few minutes later someone in the comments will often completely blow up his stat/argument and he will never acknowledge it. 

I would love to know if Seth Walder is right, or Hansel is right, but neither of them provide any evidence. Literally zero. However, judging by Hansel's reputation alone, I guess I have to lean toward Walder until someone provides contrary evidence. Sports Illustrated also quoted the stat about it being one of the cheapest trade-ups ever.

I doubt Walder’s assessment, but It’s a silly argument in any case.  The Bills moved up over a full round into the third round. This alone was worth moving 4 spots so that the Chiefs could draft a player the Bills were clearly not interested in anyway.  No brainer.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

16 sacks.  He isn't 6'4 or 6'5 is why he dropped and it's stupid.

But with that 80” wingspan, he can play like a 6’4” guy.  Someone mentioned earlier Dwight Freeney thought it was an advantage not being a taller guy. It seemed to work out for him. 

Now is the time for me to be optimistic and trust the FO. I know they won’t all pan out, and very few will be superstars, but I liked watching his college film. Time will tell. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

But with that 80” wingspan, he can play like a 6’4” guy.  Someone mentioned earlier Dwight Freeney thought it was an advantage not being a taller guy. It seemed to work out for him. 

Now is the time for me to be optimistic and trust the FO. I know they won’t all pan out, and very few will be superstars, but I liked watching his college film. Time will tell. 

Freeney was my comp.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/7/2024 at 10:02 AM, JESSEFEFFER said:

I love these highly edited, extended PR videos and look forward to them after every draft.  Very well done and we get to see some of the decision making process and the draft room interactions.  So, we do learn something from them.  Sad Kim still can't be there to offer her home baked cookies to the room and have McD make a face when he was offered.  

Link:  Inside the Bills' 2024 Draft

image.png.320b18da0c45bd61860e693246c490cf.png

It’s pretty amazing how NFL teams are keep so much information under wraps.  Their entire production team has access to the team’s board as well as knowledge of their the draft plans which didn’t happen

• Like (+1) 1