Happy Birthday, Kaiir! (And other thoughts on the secondary)

Kaiir Elam turns 23 today. Happy Birthday! People wanting to trade him need to look no further than the state of the secondary to see he is one play away from playing significant time.

Got me thinking about the entirety of the secondary, and how the roster might shake out of the back end of the defense. Last year, the Bills carried 11 defensive backs onto their opening day roster. Below is how I have 10 current players slated in:

Boundary CB: (4 last year)

Rasul Douglas

Christian Benford 

Kaiir Elam

?????????

Nickel CB: 

Taron Johnson

Daequon Hardy

Safety

Mike Edwards

Taylor Rapp

Cole Bishop

Damar Hamlin

Chameleon: 

Cam Lewis

Extras battling for 1 boundary spot?

Kendall Williamson - 6’” 203 lbs 7th round 2023

Ja’Marcus Ingram - 6’ 2” 190 lbs UDFA 2022

Kyron Brown - 6’1” 195 lbs UDFA 2019

I think it is possible they’ll only carry 3 boundary CBs with Cam Lewis filling in as the emergency 4th player (also available at nickle). Based on the state of the LB depth, they might be more willing to carry an extra backer than one of the 3 above listed guys who have mostly spent time on PS anyways. Feeling pretty good about the state of these rooms.

I have hopes for Ingram as our fourth and high hopes for Elam to battle for a starting job if the new DB coach can reach him. He was a first-rounder for a reason. I wonder if it's time to let Hamlin go, maybe trade him to the Steelers for a sixth-round pick. He hits hard, but he always seems to be in the wrong place, at least when I saw him play before last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

His rookie year was a wash. Had a feeling it would be when they drafted him because he had work to do to learn this style of defense. Benford was more ready to step in. This was the talk right after the draft and it was a good take. 

Last year all reports were he looked great in camp, was spending most of his time with the first team...and then Benford shot past him the final week of PS to start. Seemed peculiar at the time but as it turns out Elam was playing with an ankle injury...which ended up costing him a good chunk of the season.

I think he's got more to offer than we have seen so far. When he came back from IR last year he looked good....not great by any means...but definitely worth being rostered. He needs snaps, though. Tough to see him getting them with Douglas, Benford and Johnson as the top 3 CBs unless injury hits. But more experience on the field in game action would definitely help him. I'm not holding my breath that he turns into Revis 2.0...but it wouldn't shock me to see him take steps forward this year either.

Elam’s career is at the crossroads where either he is a 1st round disappointment or a late bloomer. I have to believe his personality has been preventing him from implementing the coaching. The other corners have blew by him on the depth chart and he has some injuries that complicated things further. He has shown a propensity to foul and coverage skills are pretty pedestrian. If he has any of the confidence left from his glory days in the SEC and the pride in his work ethic which made him a 1st rounder, maybe he can be a rotational piece. Sean has to take some of the heat because he has not developed Elam and if it is mental obstacles, coaches have to either overcome or say goodbye.

At a very cursory level it appears Benford makes fewer mistakes and Elam makes more plays. Elam has 4 INT compared to Benford's 3 with Beford getting far more playing time. Two of Elams's picks have been in the postseason too. Elam needs to learn not to grab so much. 

Would like to see Elam win the CB spot and let Benford get some snaps at safety. If Benford wins the job then maybe let Elam get some snaps at nickel. 

Probably a make or break year for Elam. Benford's contract is up at the end of 2025 and they can keep Elam until 2026 on his rookie deal. If Benford wins the job, probably will get a pay increase and extension next year.

HB KE, fate is knocking on your door…, 

The Bills haven't given up on Elam yet, and neither have I.  This season could be his last hurrah though unless the light comes on.  If he comes through and Jamarcus Ingram can also become a reliable backup at least, the Bills should be set.