Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

15 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

People keep saying this.  It is NOT low risk.  It is high risk.  Bringing a known loafer into one of the youngest WR rooms in the NFL has plenty of risk.  Hell, even the OC isn’t 40 years old.  Who is the adult who is going to alpha that group?

Your getting a bit carried away with your self , do you think Our GM , HC, and OC didn’t have a sit down with Claypool and lay down the rules of the road for him in this organization before he was signed?

The Buffalo Bills are pretty much Claypool’s last chance in the NFL, and Beane will off this guy at the drop of a hat if he fails to tow the line, and you can bet your backside Claypool is fully aware of this.

The last problem child on the team was promptly let go at the nearest opportunity, and he had value unlike Claypool, 

Feel free to disagree at your leisure, 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL.  You think Brandon Beane's "life strategy" is dependent on Chase Claypoole's career outcome in Buffalo?

Claypoole has been a "knucklehead".  He's down to his last chance in his NFL career.  No one is waiting on him, the choice is his.

FTR, I have known many family members and friends who changed their life ways in their middle 20s.  The only one who knows what kind of effort

Chase Claypoole will put in is Chase.

I don't know what Beane's life strategy is - but his football strategy, wrt to the offense, is hoping for best-case outcomes across the board.  Best cases that would exceed what EVERY SINGLE RECEIVER has accomplished in their careers to date.  It's a terrible strategy.

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't know what Beane's life strategy is - but his football strategy, wrt to the offense, is hoping for best-case outcomes across the board.  Best cases that would exceed what EVERY SINGLE RECEIVER has accomplished in their careers to date.  It's a terrible strategy.

We sit back and see how their plan works. There is talent at WR and TE. Maybe not the talent you wanted but they chose this. It’s not about hoping it works. They made a hard decision and they believe it’s the right decision.

We will see. 

• Like (+1) 3

This was one of those times you shouldn't announce your signings. Bring the guys in undercover, and let them compete like a undrafted free agent. If they show up cool. If they don't they can slunk out the door unnoticed. Announcing these signings is like announcing you just got your hair cut. Everyone can see you did, but no one really cares.

Claypool is a nobody at this point in his career. If any of the young players are looking at him, they’re looking at wasted potential and an example of what not to do. He’ll have no influence over them.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Claypoole - 873 yards

Samuel - 851 yards

Hollins - 690 yards

Shakir - 611 yards

Hamler - 381 yards

Total of 3406 yards for their career highs including both Claypoole and Hamler in their rookie years.

2023 Buffalo Bills entire WR yardage was 2776.

When I can reasonably assume Shakir will surpass his 2023 totals I fail to see how "impossible" this scenario is.

We can subtract Claypoole's numbers and substitute Coleman (both would be rookie numbers).

When I add a small factor of Josh Allen throwing footballs to these guys compared to the QBs throwing balls to Samuel, Hollins and Hamler,

I can see the 3406 being reached and maybe, even higher.

Add in Kincaid, Cook, Knox and Davis and I can see a scenario where Josh Allen surpasses his 4306 yards total from last season.

I will be a broken record adding that the real factors in this year's offense is the perceived improve OL play and a more experienced Brady.

Yes, the Bills WR room can improve its talent but it's not nearly the disaster some fans are insinuating.  

I'm going to wait to see how camp and the season progresses.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MikeSpeed said:

This was one of those times you shouldn't announce your signings. Bring the guys in undercover, and let them compete like a undrafted free agent. If they show up cool. If they don't they can slunk out the door unnoticed. Announcing these signings is like announcing you just got your hair cut. Everyone can see you did, but no one really cares.

Didn't the Bills do just that though? They got Claypool in for a workout without media breaking the news he was in town (WGR mentioned they were being told rumors he was in town).  He must have shown something skill wise and the Bills signed him if he didn't no one would have likely known then they announced with 2 other players to make appear it less notable. Once signed it has be announced by the league so there isn't a way to hide it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Like Joe says, Smoot is probably a lock to make the roster. Camp bodies don't get four void years.

I just saw it on OTC and came to post this. Smoot has $1.75M guaranteed so he is close to lock to make the roster. Claypool and Jones have no real guarantees.

Looks good to me. One thing I don't like is $750k guaranteed to Morrow. Seems like a wasted money if he gets released, which seems quite possible to me.

18 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I just saw it on OTC and came to post this. Smoot has $1.75M guaranteed so he is close to lock to make the roster. Claypool and Jones have no real guarantees.

Looks good to me. One thing I don't like is $750k guaranteed to Morrow. Seems like a wasted money if he gets released, which seems quite possible to me.

I think Morrow or Jones will make the roster and Morrow is the better tackler, offers special teams ability, and has less injury history.

I’d love Deion Jones on the practice squad though, but his elite cover skills makes me want to roster him. Can’t have too many of those guys.

22 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Look at it like this - Morrow 1.5M cap hit, 750k Guaranteed.  If he doesn't make the team (say Ulofoshio does) - and his first year is like 850K.  So it ends up being a net loss of 100K in cap space.  

10 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Look at it like this - Morrow 1.5M cap hit, 750k Guaranteed.  If he doesn't make the team (say Ulofoshio does) - and his first year is like 850K.  So it ends up being a net loss of 100K in cap space.  

Yeah but it is still wasted $750k if we cut him. If Morrow has no guarantees, and Ulofoshio makes the team, cap hit is $850k. And that's it.

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Yeah but it is still wasted $750k if we cut him. If Morrow has no guarantees, and Ulofoshio makes the team, cap hit is $850k. And that's it.

The thing is Morrow was signed early in the year.  These signing typically have to have some sort of guaranteed money.

Bills had no idea if they would have picks for a guy like Ulofoshino.  Jones on a vet minimum with no guarantee is a no-brainer but

once again, he wasn't on the team at the time of the Morrow signing.

Morrow still can make the team when Ulofoshino ends up on IR with bunions.

The way I see it there is going to be some fierce competition for the depth LB spots after Milano, Bernard, Williams.

Spector (with his ST play) probably is penciled in, but camp will decide that for sure.   

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

But the other guy wasn't here when he signed.  No guarantee probably means no Morrow.  

Not to mention... Best guy makes the team.  They allotted ~1.5M to that depth LB spot.  Williams is likely a locked in 3rd backer - Ulofoshio is a probably.  Then you have 3 guys Morrow, Spector (rookie deal), Jones (vet min) battling for the other spot or two.  Whoever you keep costs 1.5M essentially.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

People discussing Claypool think his best case scenario is being a decent player for us when his best case scenario is being a top 3 receiver. He was very good on a bad offense with a QB who was on his last leg. In less than 40 games with the Steelers he had over 2000 total yards, and then became a problem when teams started to try and make him into a TE type receiver. If we leave him on the outside and let him play his game he could be a great pickup. If he is garbage or a headache we cut him, the upside is far more than the downside, assuming the Bills discussed with him his issues in Chicago

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

People discussing Claypool think his best case scenario is being a decent player for us when his best case scenario is being a top 3 receiver. He was very good on a bad offense with a QB who was on his last leg. In less than 40 games with the Steelers he had over 2000 total yards, and then became a problem when teams started to try and make him into a TE type receiver. If we leave him on the outside and let him play his game he could be a great pickup. If he is garbage or a headache we cut him, the upside is far more than the downside, assuming the Bills discussed with him his issues in Chicago

I assume Coleman will be a feature in the passing game.  His back up will be a solid battle.  Claypool is the most gifted and most productive player.  Shavers and Shorter are all projection and traits.  Neither have produced in college even though they were highly rated coming out of High school.  I see a path and the best situation he would have since his rookie season.   

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Absolutely, we could have stumbled on the Deebo Samuel / Aiyuk sp? combo with Chase and Coleman ..of the east. I also expect Curtis Samuel to be an unexpected deep threat.

Edited by nosejob

On 5/7/2024 at 11:52 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

Most GMs hope for worst cases?