Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Jones at one point was far better than Spector ever will be. That may not be the case now but I don't see how Spector is a lock for the 53.

I doubt Smoot makes the 53. Camp body so Miller can rest.

Yeah I realize jones was good at one point in his career. He’s been bad/unwanted the last 3.  

I didn’t say Spector was a lock.  I separated them due to being on the team last season.  I thought he play relatively well last year and would give him the nod over Jones at this point.  

Jmo

24 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Curious move. He doesn’t bleed “process.”

Very much my reaction, too.  Hasn't fit in on three NFL teams.  He's going to have to be a different guy if he wants a spot on the Bills' 53. 

I'd think he's on a short leash.  

• Agree 6

Claypool is such a conundrum. He has skills. Flashed them in Pittsburgh from time to time. Showed them in college. I just don't think the dude likes football as much as he likes the paychecks from playing football. It's been said for a few years now about him, but it remains true. If someone could help get his head on straight he could be good. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that happens here. 

I'm thinking he's closer to being cut before preseason game 2 than he is making the roster. We shall see.

• Agree 2

I want to think we have a strong enough locker room, where we can absorb a headcase or two as long as they aren’t in leadership positions.

You have to think Claypool knows this is his last serious chance to stick in the league. Maybe he takes it more seriously with that knowledge.

Low risk high reward signing if he can get his head on straight. He can be a really good player if his head is on straight...I think the culture here will either force him out quickly or he really gets on board and trends upwards...very smart signing with no downside really.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, vincec said:

I’m not sure what there is so much for us on the WR room when it was obvious over the second half of last season that the Bills are becoming a run heavy team that throws mostly to its TEs and backs. How many catches did Diggs and Davis, their #1 and #2 WRs, even have the last 8 games of last season? And then they draft two more OL, a RB and a big, physical WR. That should be telling everyone something, IMO.

If the Bills plan on being a "run heavy" team going forward, I'm moving to Australia and following rugby instead. 

It's two-thousand-twenty-four and the Buffalo Bills employ Joshua Patrick Allen at quarterback. RUN HEAVY?!

30 rock beer GIF by theCHIVE

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Logic said:

If the Bills plan on being a "run heavy" team going forward, I'm moving to Australia and following rugby instead. 

It's two-thousand-twenty-four and the Buffalo Bills employ Joshua Patrick Allen at quarterback. RUN HEAVY?!

30 rock beer GIF by theCHIVE

I hear you, and don’t disagree, but the signs are obvious. The did win a lot of games playing that way, so I wouldn’t move yet!

Here we are AGAIN signing absolute street bum WR's hoping anything can stick. This time though its BEFORE the season and not a week before playoffs due to injuries. 

I hate this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

How could anyone dislike this move? He’s basically free and has sooooo much potential. If his lack of NFL success was based on his QB, well, problem solved. If it’s truly an attitude thing, well, we managed through the biggest prima donna in sports, #14. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wonder if these were related. Probably wanted too much from the Bills.

DJ Chark signs with the Chargers.
Tyler Boyd signs with a team that already employs Calvin Ridley and DeAndre Hopkins.
Odell Beckham Jr signs with a team that already employs Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, Braxton Berrios, and just drafted Malik Washington.

The Bills sign...Chase Claypool and Quintez Cephus.

I'm sure I'll get a few thumbs down and eyeroll emojis for pointing out the wildly uninspiring way in which the Bills are approaching the wide receiver position. Whatever. Pour me a ***** shot.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

DJ Chark signs with the Chargers.
Tyler Boyd signs with a team that already employs Calvin Ridley and DeAndre Hopkins.
Odell Beckham Jr signs with a team that already employs Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, Braxton Berrios, and just drafted Malik Washington.

The Bills sign...Chase Claypool and Quintez Cephus.

I'm sure I'll get a few thumbs down and eyeroll emojis for pointing out the wildly uninspiring way in which the Bills are approaching the wide receiver position. Whatever. Pour me a ***** shot.

Taking the underdog approach to the season. 

28 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

This will be his third change of culture and atmosphere in as many years.  I am starting to think culture and atmosphere are not the problem.  4th times a charm.

If he can't appreciate this team's culture,  he's not making it anywhere else. This will be his last chance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Don't mind any of these guys actually as guys to compete for the backend jobs in those rooms. Smoot is the one I give the best chance of making the roster. But I see the sense in all 3 moves. 

Smooth has Shaq Lawson replacement vibes.