New Bills WR. Former Lion Quintez Cephus

MAJBobby

Well I was definitely hoping this would be a guy with some speed. Disappointing that after the talk about getting "more explosive" we didn't make a significant investment on that front. I guess the WR room will be looking like:

Shakir

Samuel

Coleman

Hollins

Hamler/Isabella

Shorter/Shavers/Cephus

I wish one of our 4-6 guys had some more developmental upside but that's probably fine, not much worse than any other team's 4-6. After getting basically nada from Sherfield and Hardy last year it could even be an upgrade. It's the top end talent that will be lacking in 2024, and that wasn't gonna be solved anyways unless we traded significant future assets which I'm glad we didn't do

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Oh my God. It's really going to happen. Mack Hollins is going to be our primary #2 outside WR. That is actually the plan.

Yeah. Apparently Beane said Coleman "will have a hard time starting in year 1". Something to that affect.

So Samuel/Hollins/Shakir seems to be the opening day plan (save me the "Shaver or Shorter or Hamler are gonna surprise everyone and win a starting spot!" hopium), which is just...unfathomably depressing.

I was so strongly hoping that the Bills would find a way to get better in the WR room this offseason, and they somehow appear to have gotten markedly worse. 

And then Beane has the gall to say "let's don't forget that we have good tight ends that we can throw to!".

I need a drink.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Welp… alright.  

I liked this idea better when we didn’t know who the player we’re signing is. 

Beane actually had to mention that they were signing someone and this is the guy?

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Oh my God. It's really going to happen. Mack Hollins is going to be our primary #2 outside WR. That is actually the plan.

I don't think that's the plan, but for goodness sake, step back off the bridge. I'm growing concerned for your health and safety.

The season starts in September, not tomorrow

5 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Beane actually had to mention that they were signing someone and this is the guy?

Yeah, in hindsight, Beane should have kept it zipped

It was bad PR to mention a raggle tag long shot the day of general fan disappointment about the Bills draft selections.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

It's my own fault. When Beane said they were in the process of signing someone I envisioned DJ Chark or something along those lines, not an above average WR by any means but a baseline outside WR that at least gives us better pass catching ability than Mack Hollins. I should have known better.

Mea Culpa as well, that was my vision...but with 20/20 hindsight I should have realized they aren't gonna sign anyone who might interfere with the comp picks until after May 1 or maybe after June 1 when we get Tre's money

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah. Apparently Beane said Coleman "will have a hard time starting in year 1". Something to that affect.

So Samuel/Hollins/Shakir seems to be the opening day plan (save me the "Shaver or Shorter or Hamler are gonna surprise everyone and win a starting spot!" hopium), which is just...unfathomably depressing.

I was so strongly hoping that the Bills would find a way to get better in the WR room this offseason, and they somehow appear to have gotten markedly worse. 

And then Beane has the gall to say "let's don't forget that we have good tight ends that we can throw to!".

I need a drink.

Once again, I'd like to request a "sangry" emoji.

52 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! You're misreading into what I said. I don't know how you're getting all of that because I never said any of that.

I was NOT saying the WR room is fine with my post and that we shouldn't add anyone else.

What I was saying was that a few minutes after the Draft, Beane saying during a presser "we worked out a guy today we're going to end up signing" always implied it was someone who wasn't a name signing like a DJ Chark or someone along those lines.

Like I said - healthy, productive just last season, name players don't "work out". And if they did do that, it wouldn't be on Draft Day. That's a situation of talking to assistants and being worked out by positional coaches with Beane not having time to meet with them and probably just reviewing a tape and taking others word that they're good. Someone we're paying millions to, Beane is going to dedicate some time to seeing in person and meeting with.

It was clearly someone that is on the fringe,  someone who needs to prove they're healthy, or someone who was out of football for a year or more for us to "work them out". In this case, it was the latter.

Also, we've got like 3m in Cap Space right now. Someone like Chark or like him is going to cost more than that. Also, to do it now instead of a little over a month from now would cost us a Comp pick.

So anything like that will come after June 1st. And I do hope we look into adding someone at that point. My post was just to say that if you really analyzed the situation from all angles, thinking that statement meant it was going to be one of the name FA left was to be short sightedly setting yourself up for disappointment. It was obvious to me with what was said it was going to be something like this.

But he doesn't preclude us from signing someone like a DJ Chark on or after 6/1 and I would expect that we would.

Just a few days.  I believe the comp pick deadline is 4 pm May 1

As far as what Chark would cost, I imagine that's why he's still on the market.  in 2022, he signed 1 year, $10M with Detroit.  They can't say they got their money's worth with 11 games, 53 targets, 502 yds.

Then he signed 1 year, $5M with Carolina.  66 targets for 525 yds not much better value for that.

My guess is that Chark wants something similar, which is why teams are holding back.

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Logic said:

Would you mind providing a linky to that, because it's nothing at all that I heard Beane say 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DJB said:

This fixes everything

edit no it doesn't

Cephus ran a 4.73 so he’s slower than Coleman .

For F sakes 

There's gotta be a 4.80 wr out there somewhere Brandon can target.  He's becoming the Bill Belichick of wr evaluators. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

There is going to be a fun battle to see who emerges.  There are 3 locks max with Coleman, Shakir and Samuel.  

I think from there on out it is a battel for the rest, that group consists of (At this point):

Mack Hollins

KJ Hamler

Andy Isabella

Justin Shorter

Tyrell Shavers

Bryan Thompson

Quintez Cephus

Xavier Johnson Jr (UDFA)

Lawrence Keys (UDFA)

It's all an interesting battle, but one June 1st comes, expect a vet WR to join the group along with Justin Simmons at safety. 

27 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Just a few days.  I believe the comp pick deadline is 4 pm May 1

As far as what Chark would cost, I imagine that's why he's still on the market.  in 2022, he signed 1 year, $10M with Detroit.  They can't say they got their money's worth with 11 games, 53 targets, 502 yds.

Then he signed 1 year, $5M with Carolina.  66 targets for 525 yds not much better value for that.

My guess is that Chark wants something similar, which is why teams are holding back.

Thank you for that. I had been looking on Google to find info on when the Comp Formula ended during the Offseason and couldn't find it anywhere. So I just assumed it was 6/1, like the money changing deadline in contracts.

If it's only a few days away, then it would make even less sense to do a 3.5+m signing right now. And the type of FA signing people were short sightedly hoping for or expecting from Beane's quick comment at the presser is going to be that.

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Oooo look. Only a 40 in shorts guy. 

fine how about the 

already in the WR room. 

The guys you're thinking of are all best suited to the slot.  Samuel can play on the outside, though he's probably a better fit inside.  What Buffalo lacks is a true X receiver with speed.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They are trolling us right? It’s like a science experiment. 

What I read was that Cephus had covid when he ran the 40.  He later ran a 4.52.  He is a fast twitch player with great numbers 40 yard dash, vertical, and bench.  Between Cephus, Coleman, Hollins, not to mention Shorter, Shavers, and Hamlin- they all are 6'2 and taller, strong, my ball, mismatches.  It seems to be the type of WR Beane likes