UDFA signing thread. 10 Signed 5 camp invites as of 07:39, 28 April

MAJBobby

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Oh, wow, I disagree - After cutting Morse and moving McGovern to center and backup David Edwards to G, I thought we were thin on IOL

And then of course there was Ryan Van Demark as the swing tackle

The draftees were late rounders, so I guess the UDFA feel they can compete?

I think 11 or so

I assume you mean guys who came to the Bills as rookies and signed to the active roster here, not UDFA that developed elsewhere like Mario Williams or Kumerow

From 2019 to 2023:

Ryan Bates (he initially signed to Steelers but came here as a rook)

Reggie Gilliam

Quintin Morris

Ryan Van Demark

Antonio Williams

CJ Brewer

Tyrel Dodson

Prince Emili

Ja'Marcus Ingram

Kingsley Jonathan

Cam Lewis

Fundamentally looks like 2 per year or so

Mostly sign to practice squad and get elevated fora few games their 1st year

Edit: Dang, I missed Alec Anderson, who was on the 53 but never active in a game.

That means I probably missed a couple more

One minor correction: Bates was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Eagles. Beane traded for him at the end of 2019 training camp.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, eball said:

Nice breakdown.  Note that the Bills can put Clayton on the PS and he won’t count against the limit because of the international player development program.

I am rooting for Keaton Bills to make this team.  It’s just serendipitous to think of a guy wearing “Bills” on the back of a Bills jersey.

Yes, good note on Clayton. 16 PS spots and he’d be the “17th” due to the IPP exemption. 

McNulty kicked for the U at Buffalo for 4 years. A cannon for a leg but accuracy was an issue early in his career. He would miss XPs regularly. 🤦‍♂️ But he gradually improved and become fairly reliable by his final year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Explaining in a little more detail where my mind was when I said that...

We carried 9 OL on the 53 last year:

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Morse, Mitch
  • Bates, Ryan
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

This year 7/9 OL are returning:

Locks (5)

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David

This is our presumed starting 5 OL. The only thing that could change is McGovern moving back to LG and Edwards moving back to a reserve role. 

High Probability to Make Roster (2)

• Van Demark, Ryan
  • Anderson, Alec

These guys are REALLY close to being locks in my opinion.

The Bills signed Alec Anderson as an UDFA, and he spent all of 2022 on the practice squad and the entire 2023 season on the 53. Van Demark was a Colts UDFA in 2022 but like Anderson spent 2022 on our practice squad and all of 2023 on our 53. 

The Bills have invested a lot of time/resources into developing both players and I think they clearly have a leg up on the competition. 

New Veterans (3)

• Collins, La'el
  • Clapp, Will
  • Doyle, Tommy*

Collins has some guarantees, but I don't think he's a guarantee to make the roster, although that likely gives him a leg up. I don't think Clapp has a chance to make the roster unless there is an injury at the C position. Tommy Doyle fits here because he's coming off injury, but made the roster in 2021 and 2022, likely would've made it in 2023 before a season ending injury - he's fighting an uphill battle.

Drafted Rookies (3)

• Van Pran-Granger, Sedrick
  • Grable, Tylan
  • Clayton, Travis

The way Beane spoke about Clayton after the draft, it seems like they've banking on him being the 17th guy on the Practice Squad. My gut tells me that Van Pran-Granger is nearly a lock for the reserve C role (I think this is possible with McGovern and Edwards being able to play G) and pundits seem to think he could end up starting for us this year. Grable is competing for a reserve T role with the likes of Collins, Doyle and Van Demark, if not he's likely another hopeful Practice Squad stash for Beane. 

After walking through it I feel pretty comfortable saying we can predict who 8/9 lineman will be on the 53.

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

That leaves Collins, Clapp, Doyle, Grable, Clayton, Edwards, Britton and Bills competing for 1 spot. 

Jordan Schultz suggested that Keaton Bills *SHOULD* make this team. I just think that it's going to be an uphill battle for any of the UDFA to break camp on the 53. 

just like with other positions…Bills will be a tough team to get a 53 man roster spot.  It’s rare to see someone picked in rounds 1-3 gets cut after camp. In their case they are in positions veterans are not returning.

you figure their first 3 picks are locks on making the Bills roster if not injured.

with each position group the last spot is up for grabs excluding the top 3 drafted rookies ( WR,  S, DT/IDL)

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Bates came over from the Eagles actually.

And Van Demark was actually initially signed by the Colts - but both came over to the Bills prior to their rookie year

That's why I count them as UDFA who made the roster; you can count differently, no worries

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Morse, Mitch
  • Bates, Ryan
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

Locks (5)

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David

This is our presumed starting 5 OL. The only thing that could change is McGovern moving back to LG and Edwards moving back to a reserve role. 

• Van Demark, Ryan
  • Anderson, Alec

The Bills signed Alec Anderson as an UDFA, and he spent all of 2022 on the practice squad and the entire 2023 season on the 53. Van Demark was a Colts UDFA in 2022 but like Anderson spent 2022 on our practice squad and all of 2023 on our 53. 

The Bills have invested a lot of time/resources into developing both players and I think they clearly have a leg up on the competition. 

New Veterans (3)

• Collins, La'el
  • Clapp, Will
  • Doyle, Tommy*

Collins has some guarantees, but I don't think he's a guarantee to make the roster, although that likely gives him a leg up. I don't think Clapp has a chance to make the roster unless there is an injury at the C position. Tommy Doyle fits here because he's coming off injury, but made the roster in 2021 and 2022, likely would've made it in 2023 before a season ending injury - he's fighting an uphill battle.

Drafted Rookies (3)

• Grable, Tylan
  • Clayton, Travis

The way Beane spoke about Clayton after the draft, it seems like they've banking on him being the 17th guy on the Practice Squad. My gut tells me that Van Pran-Granger is nearly a lock for the reserve C role (I think this is possible with McGovern and Edwards being able to play G) and pundits seem to think he could end up starting for us this year. Grable is competing for a reserve T role with the likes of Collins, Doyle and Van Demark, if not he's likely another hopeful Practice Squad stash for Beane. 

After walking through it I feel pretty comfortable saying we can predict who 8/9 lineman will be on the 53.

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

That leaves Collins, Clapp, Doyle, Grable, Clayton, Edwards, Britton and Bills competing for 1 spot. 

Jordan Schultz suggested that Keaton Bills *SHOULD* make this team. I just think that it's going to be an uphill battle for any of the UDFA to break camp on the 53. 

OK, that's a careful and fair breakdown.  I think you missed Richard Gouraige, whom the Bills carried on the practice squad all season and signed to a futures contract at OT, that's a nit.  I also can't argue that it's an uphill battle for an UDFA to break camp on the 53, because it's 

I think there are 2 places where I differ.  First, I don't view David Edwards position at LG as "locked in", nor do I view Connor McGovern as "locked in" at C. 

In fact, I'm highly nervous about the Connor McGovern Experiment at C.  I think he had something like 13 games at C as a college sophomore, and maybe 1 start at C in the NFL?  Doesn't mean he can't play C, but he's highly inexperienced and his track record is coaches who see him play C go "Next!".  McGovern is a bit shorter, maybe 15 lbs heavier than Morse, came into the league with a rep as a strong run blocker, more uneven in pass pro.  I think we saw that at times last season.  I think he's got the inside track, but is far from a lock.  It wouldn't bother me to keep 3 other guys who can play C on the roster.

I have different trepidation about David Edwards as a starter.  He can play, but he's also got a very nervous-making concussion history, such that the Rams moved on from him after he started 45 games with them.  If an OLman is "all that", teams usually stick with them for years but the Rams let him go.  That suggests to me either 1) they viewed him as a player they could and should upgrade on skill OR 2) they saw his concussion as particularly worrisome.  Or Both.  I agree he has an "inside track" because OL coaches tend to favor "their guys" who can player/coach their technique (one reason Bills nabbed him from LA), but we're in year 3 now with Kromer.  The starters now should be "his guys".

In the past, the Bills have also valued IOL backups who can play across, sometimes at the expense of a guy who has potential to be significantly better at one position (see Teller, Wyatt vs Bates, Ryan).  Edwards did play RG his rookie season, but never C AFAIK.

Of course, there are a lot of relevant details here neither of us have access to, I'm just laying out why I view both McGovern as subject to being moved back to LG, and Edwards as being susceptible to upgrade.

I don't know how the Bills feel about Alec Anderson - they obviously felt he was better than the guys they released.  But while they carried him all year, he didn't make it onto the roster for one tiny snap, not on ST, not as a 6th OL.  Of course we were very lucky with our OL health last season, but I don't see him being as much of a "sure bet" as you do. 

Likewise, while the Bills clearly liked Van Demark better than the guys they released to make room for him, the Bills historically favor a swing tackle as their backup OT and I recall some chatter that Van Demark was not "getting it" at RT.

The major reason why I feel the OL may not be quite as "locked in" as you see it has to do with scheme.  What exactly does Joe Brady want this offense to be?  I don't know, do you?  Last year, we went into the season with Dorsey as OC and with an "athletic" type center who excels in a pin-and-pull style run game, and presumably a portfolio of run plays suited to our OL personnel.  But with Joe Brady now locked down as OC, I believe there are signs we want to move towards a more power-focused run game.  One of them being to release Morse and go with Connor McGovern as the presumptive C.  McGovern is a bit shorter, maybe 15 lbs heavier, and came into the league with a rep as a strong run blocker, more uneven in pass pro.  I think we saw that at times last season.   Will he do better in pass sets as a C vs LG?  Not enough NFL experience at C to tell.

What exactly does Joe Brady want our offense to look like?  In the games where he was OC, we had a huge shift in our Run/Pass balance.  We were 58% pass/42%  run under Dorsey and 48% pass/52% run under Brady.  The big question: Why?  Was it because between Allen's shoulder sprain and whatever was up with Diggs, we didn't have the horses to carry off the pass game he wanted so he did what it took to win?  Was it because, despite having a certified Beast of a passing QB under C, McDermott really wants a run first offense in his heart of hearts?   If we know what Brady wants the offense to look like, then we can make a guess about whether the 4 returning guys plus Edwards really have a sweet lock on the starts and whether Anderson and Van Demark really have a strong leg up on the backup roles.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

McNulty kicked for the U at Buffalo for 4 years. A cannon for a leg but accuracy was an issue early in his career. He would miss XPs regularly. 🤦‍♂️ But he gradually improved and become fairly reliable by his final year.

I think his leg strength will keep him floating around in the NFL/training camps for a couple years

If he continues to improve his accuracy I could see him being on a roster somewhere getting a chance 

On 4/28/2024 at 12:51 PM, Pete said:

Only 2 teams have made the playoffs the last 5 years in the NFL- the Bills and the Chefs.  Are you familiar with the Bills 17 year playoff draught before Beane Mr Ingrate?

Interesting considering the two best QBs in the league play for the Chiefs and the Bills.  One has 3 rings one has none arguably because of coaching.

• Agree 1

Why does Branson Deen have a Big 10 logo on his uniform if he's from Miami, am i missing something?

On 4/27/2024 at 9:57 PM, LEBills said:

Never mind, answered my own question....transferred from Purdue

1 minute ago, The Poojer said:

Why does Branson Deen have a Big 10 logo on his uniform if he's from Miami, am i missing something?

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I think his leg strength will keep him floating around in the NFL/training camps for a couple years

If he continues to improve his accuracy I could see him being on a roster somewhere getting a chance 

If he doesn't stick somewhere, a year in the UFL would be just the thing.

8 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Morse, Mitch
  • Bates, Ryan
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

Locks (5)

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David

• Van Demark, Ryan
  • Anderson, Alec

New Veterans (3)

• Collins, La'el
  • Clapp, Will
  • Doyle, Tommy*

Drafted Rookies (3)

• Grable, Tylan
  • Clayton, Travis

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

I think Collins makes the original 53 with your other 8 

9 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Morse, Mitch
  • Bates, Ryan
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

Locks (5)

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David

• Van Demark, Ryan
  • Anderson, Alec

New Veterans (3)

• Collins, La'el
  • Clapp, Will
  • Doyle, Tommy*

Drafted Rookies (3)

• Grable, Tylan
  • Clayton, Travis

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

With the influx of 10 draft picks it’s going to be hard for UDFA’s to make the 53 for sure. I think Gore is gonna have a chance to compete with Ty Johnson and at the 6th corner spot Ingram is a spot where a UDFA can wow the coaches and make the roster.

Kicker and punter are always ripe for that as well. But for pure position players I only see two areas where they can have a good shot to make the roster. 

I think as far as the 10 rookies 8 have good spots on the roster and they drafted that international player who’s gonna have that special PS spot. Grabel the OT is the only rookie whose a good candidate to get the Shorter treatment and get a stint on IR 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, Rockinon said:

The UB kicker. Came on strong his senior year. Going to be some kicking competition in camp.

Actually his senior year was worse than his junior year 

He is a stud and I honestly had a seventh round grade on him..

He is slightly inconsistent in the short game... But he drills 50 plus yarders 

Big leg.. I see him being an NFL kicker

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

His junior year was actually by far his best .. and I put a 7th round grade on him after that year 

Slightly inconsistent inside 35... But from 50 out he has the ability to be legatron 

There aren't many kickers in the country who drill 50 yards plus at his pace in Western New York conditions in college 

Also hit 100 straight extra points after starting slow

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2024 at 9:48 PM, MAJBobby said:

If Gore can show he is close to Ty Johnson he makes the team. The difference between Ty and Gore is 350K in cap. That is going to be important at the end of summer when getting under cap.  That is key for a RB3. 

I hope so. Ty is such a JAG. If I can save 350k on that spot it is a no brainer for me. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 10:19 AM, JGMcD2 said:

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Morse, Mitch
  • Bates, Ryan
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

Locks (5)

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David

• Van Demark, Ryan
  • Anderson, Alec

New Veterans (3)

• Collins, La'el
  • Clapp, Will
  • Doyle, Tommy*

Drafted Rookies (3)

• Grable, Tylan
  • Clayton, Travis

• Dawkins, Dion
  • Brown, Spencer
  • Torrence, O'Cyrus
  • McGovern, Connor
  • Edwards, David
  • Anderson, Alec
  • Van Demark, Ryan

I largely agree. While I think Van Demark is very likely to make it I do think Grable has a chance to dislodge him. They are similar player in terms of athletic profile. Vandy showed last pre-season that is very good at LT, but couldn't really get it at right tackle. If Grable can do both I think there is a world where they decide to go with him and a vet (I'm thinking specifically Collins in this space tbh). Equally given Beane mentioned Clapp specifically when asked about center the other day I wonder if he has a better shot in the building than we think. 

I'd definitely like the final 9 to be your predicted 8 and Grable. But will be interesting to see how it plays out. If they are all healthy can Beane maybe swing one of his trade for a day 3 pick tricks?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I largely agree. While I think Van Demark is very likely to make it I do think Grable has a chance to dislodge him. They are similar player in terms of athletic profile. Vandy showed last pre-season that is very good at LT, but couldn't really get it at right tackle. If Grable can do both I think there is a world where they decide to go with him and a vet (I'm thinking specifically Collins in this space tbh). Equally given Beane mentioned Clapp specifically when asked about center the other day I wonder if he has a better shot in the building than we think. 

I'd definitely like the final 9 to be your predicted 8 and Grable. But will be interesting to see how it plays out. If they are all healthy can Beane maybe swing one of his trade for a day 3 pick tricks?

Yeah I agree with Grable possibly over Van Denmark. I like RVD, but this move allows you to kind of reset the minimum contract and you used a 6th on the guy. But instinct having seen very little of Grable is that there is a world in which they both make it.