Beane: "This team is in transition"

You can be in a transition year and still get a future star at receiver.  Let’s transition on defense and support Josh.  Let the offense carry us for once.  

It’s doesn’t have to be fully either or 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

As it should be unless we finish like 4-13 

I’m approaching the opinion that the best thing for Josh Allen’s career is to tweak an ankle, miss the season and let Beane and McD get exposed and fired when they win 2 games and reset with a high draft pick and new organization. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 5

That sounds like what the Chiefs have been doing Vs what we’ve been doing . Beane has filled holes with veterans at the expense of playing young players and getting them battle tested for the playoffs. They’ve been better than the Bills at this. We’ve sustained a lot of injuries and our more veteran team hasn’t performed at critical moments - particularly on defense. Isn’t this youth movement what we’ve been saying is necessary. Can’t have it both ways . Would’ve liked another WR in this draft but all these players seem to be filling holes left by aging veteran players or those not worth a big 2nd contract. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’m approaching the opinion that the best thing for Josh Allen’s career is to tweak an ankle, miss the season and let Beane and McD get exposed and fired when they win 2 games and reset with a high draft pick and new organization. 

Rooting for your franchise guy to miss the season with a potentially career altering injury is certainly a take 

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Rooting for your franchise guy to miss the season with a potentially career altering injury is certainly a take 

I didn’t say rooting. But I do think it may increase his SB championship odds. 

• Dislike 1

Beane is absolutely incorrect imo. This team is not in transition. This team has Josh Allen, and that’s all it takes to maintain some sense of continuity. This regime places too much emphasis on feel good stories and “good guys”, so they overvalue the loses this offseason. Most offseason loses were guys on the downside of their career who didn’t contribute much last year anyway. We have a foundation in place, although with several missing pieces (wide receiver for example). loses

Loses like Poyer, Davis, Diggs, White, and Morse are not cause for a rebuild. I think the process is getting stale, and this regime doesn’t know how to react next. Beane has been phenomenal in Buffalo, but neither him or McD strike me as guys who are highly open to change. 

The problem with this draft is it shows there’s no change in philosophy. They’ll add to the offense when they have to but the priority is getting “team captain” guys on defense. They’re doubling down on a strategy that’s failed.

Beane and McDermott won’t change. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

This quote from Beane defines the entire draft strategy:

He is giving it to us straight. The Bills are in a rebuild year. So he went for all team captains. Guys that interviewed well. Guys that he believes set a new foundation of leadership in the building. He hunted for short term needs that fit the singular character profile he and McDermott feel comfortable with, at the expense of talent at premium positions. And he is telling the fanbase to temper our expectations without coming right out and saying it.

I'm not gonna grade a draft until we see how all the players turn out, but the overall philosophy shown this weekend is deflating and uninspiring.

Makes me sick to my stomach. They’re giving up early and expect ownership to be ok with it. Just awful 🤮 

Beane and McDermott don’t get a free pass on a season when you have Josh Allen at QB or else we won’t have Josh much longer. 

Edited by NeverOutNick
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Brass tacks: last year the Bills were a top 3rd oldest team and finished $40 M over the cap. While Beane could have kept kicking the can down the road, a purge would have happened sooner or later. I love DaQuan but we can't keep relying on vet depth year after year, especially with contracts like Von and Diggs on the book this year.

Short term, the Bills are worse off. 

But if half to a third of the mid round picks hit it's a great investment 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

The problem with this draft is it shows there’s no change in philosophy. They’ll add to the offense when they have to but the priority is getting “team captain” guys on defense. They’re doubling down on a strategy that’s failed.

Beane and McDermott won’t change. 

It's the scorpion and the turtle, neither will ever change.

27 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I don't think this will be a popular opinion by many but I do see where you are coming from. I can easily see it from both sides. Yes they've brought us out of mediocrity but that's really it. If we had Daniel jones or "the right josh" they would be fired by now for sure. 

Pretty much every coach/GM that took Rosen or Daniel Jones would be fired. How is that some profound statement concerning McDermott or Beane?

Here’s another hot take….if the Bills selected Tony Eason ahead of Jim Kelly the Bills never would have reached a Super Bowl and Marv Levy and Andre Reed wouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

Pretty much every coach/GM that took Rosen or Daniel Jones would be fired. How is that some profound statement concerning McDermott or Beane?

Here’s another hot take….if the Bills selected Tony Eason ahead of Jim Kelly the Bills never would have reached a Super Bowl and Marv Levy and Andre Reed wouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame.

The whole “The Bills coaches wouldn’t be so good if they had to play with our backup QB” (or “If Beane hadn’t picked Josh, how good would he look?”) is so disingenuous.  Like no sh*t sherlocks 🤣🤣🤣

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

This quote from Beane defines the entire draft strategy:

He is giving it to us straight. The Bills are in a rebuild year. So he went for all team captains. Guys that interviewed well. Guys that he believes set a new foundation of leadership in the building. He hunted for short term needs that fit the singular character profile he and McDermott feel comfortable with, at the expense of talent at premium positions. And he is telling the fanbase to temper our expectations without coming right out and saying it.

I'm not gonna grade a draft until we see how all the players turn out, but the overall philosophy shown this weekend is deflating and uninspiring.

I don’t see things are bleak as you do.  They did try to find players that were leaders but I don’t think it came at the expense of talent.  One thing is clear though - they did not want to jeopardize next year’s draft capital in any way. 

Overall I think this years draft was solid, though I’m a bit confused by how they drafted at WR.  It seemed clear that they needed to make a big move to offset the departure of Diggs.  Or to draft 2 WR’s at least come away with 2 WR’s.  Instead they chose to draft 1.  

The “team in transition” quote is certainly interesting.  It does make it seem like they are bracing for a step back next season. 

17 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I'm envious of Houston fans, being on the ascent 

after I saw CJ Stroud throw a baseball last week I have lost all respect for him. 

• Haha (+1) 1