Beane: "This team is in transition"

11 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

It was the previous two years too

The last three years though the roster has been deep. It has lacked top end talent compared to the other top half dozen teams we have been competing with but it has been deep. It is why despite two years of pretty rotten injury luck they've still won a ton of games. The moves they had to make this offseason mean they are as shallow as they have been since 2018 and still lack that top end talent. I do think they have some good young players, I think they hit on some guys in the last two drafts.... Cook, Bernard, Benford, Kincaid, Torrence and Shakir but they are all (as we were discussing earlier) in the category of "good" at this point and they need to hope 1 or 2 of that group step up to be true difference makers. But they are going to be young, shallow and lacking in difference makers in 2024 unless someone has a significant breakout. They will just be hoping that by the end of next season we are adding Coleman, Bishop and Van-Pran to that list of good young players.

I think they will see success in 2024 as the development of all those guys and making the post season. They do not think 2024 is a Superbowl contending season. That said, Kansas City didn't expect 2022 to be a Superbowl contending season in the building - they were re-setting some things and then they got hot at the right time and went all the way. When you have a top flight QB you always have a chance but I think we'd need Josh to have the best season of his career to have a shot.

It tells me the regime is pretty safe with Terry. Because this is clearly a two year re-load plan IMO to have 2025 be the year that the second Josh Allen window opens. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We are literally going to smoke our garbage division and cruise on to first place.

the fish got gutted and scaled.

the jets have an old qb that hasn’t done anything in years with Nate Hackett.

the patriots are going to suck for the next two decades with belichick out.

we’ve got Josh Allen guys. It’s going to be ok 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The fifth place? Is that triple bronze place? AFC wildcard participant? Hang the banner baby!

What kind of cookie could Mr beane have given you to quell your tantrum?

• Haha (+1) 1

The problem is that if Josh appears to take a step back due to no Diggs, then we become the freezing small-market Bills and FAs won’t want to come play with a declining Josh Allen. The nRams can rebuild without taking a reputation hit. The Bills cannot. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This quote from Beane defines the entire draft strategy:

He is giving it to us straight. The Bills are in a rebuild year. So he went for all team captains. Guys that interviewed well. Guys that he believes set a new foundation of leadership in the building. He hunted for short term needs that fit the singular character profile he and McDermott feel comfortable with, at the expense of talent at premium positions. And he is telling the fanbase to temper our expectations without coming right out and saying it.

I'm not gonna grade a draft until we see how all the players turn out, but the overall philosophy shown this weekend is deflating and uninspiring.

from GM of a team w a top QB and zero Super Bowl appearances to show for it...absolutely brutal to hear

i mean i appreciate the honesty but fml have they absolutely wasted this window

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, zevo said:

What kind of cookie could Mr beane have given you to quell your tantrum?

If we roll into week 1 with this WR group, I’m breaking out the Fire Beane Billboard. He doesn’t have to give me a thing otherwise.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

from GM of a team w a top QB and zero Super Bowl appearances to show for it...absolutely brutal to hear

This 

Just now, GoBills808 said:

You are absolutely correct. Window one has closed. Opening of window two has now begun. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, zevo said:

5th lowest odds according to the sports books. People on here continue to cry. Reality is they are still players for the Super Bowl 

Oh boy 

Of course they are. 

I agree that we are in a mini rebuild. But I disagree with anyone that doesn't think we can win the Superbowl this year. 

The team that takes the field Week 1 will be significantly better than the team that just took the Superbowl champions down to the wire. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2024 is officially a get-right year.

Clean house of the aging, expensive players - check.
Remove the social media distractions - check.

Free up cap space for 2025 - check.

Stockpile draft capital for 2025 - check.

2024 is going to be frustrating but 2025 and 2026 are going to be a lot of fun. 

Or, this is the beginning of the end. I don't know. 

• Like (+1) 4

I've been saying it on here all offseason this is absolutely the beginning of a transition period/reset. Do not have expectations for this team to be a Super Bowl contender this year.  It just is what it is.  All in all I thought they did a good job of plugging holes this draft but they will still need at least one more offseason of work to really get this thing back on track.  

• Agree 1

I give Beane an A grade to date for the job he's done over the last two months. We weren't in a position to force anything. Instead, we made lemonade out of lemons. I really don't think you guys are giving him the credit he deserves for what he just pulled off. 

All this angst is mostly just fans getting pissed because they want to see a team specifically built around Josh, and Beane didn't do that this time. We opted to address teamwide needs rather than just wideout needs, and thank goodness because we had a lot of roster holes. And BTW, drafting your center of the future because you had the foresight to trade back IS building around Josh. 

Saying this team is in transition is just stating the obvious. I like that he isn't trying to fake sell us on anything, and that it looks like there's an actual plan in place for the rebuild.

Also, one of the great things about this year is they get to play without any expectations. No one expects us to win the SB. We might get some welcomed surprises.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, zevo said:

5th lowest odds according to the sports books. People on here continue to cry. Reality is they are still players for the Super Bowl 

Oh boy 

Don’t confuse crying with stating some uncomfortable truths. Sometimes the truth hurts.

“First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. And then they attack you and want to burn you. And then they build monuments to you.”

― Nicholas Klein

They may not build monuments to people who question or criticize the front office.  But give it another three years of this and more people will want beane and McDermott gone.  People need to start being more objective when evaluating beane and McDermott.  People forget that it was beane who got us into this rebuild phase in the first place. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:
5 minutes ago, MPL said:

Clean house of the aging, expensive players - check.

Well, except for one.

Yeah, but he'll be gone after this year

30 minutes ago, Process said:

I think Beane was very careful not to trade picks from next year. It seems like they are planning on next off season being when they go for it and make some bigger moves. 

It's disappointing, but I still think it's a team that can compete for a Superbowl this year. 

Just feels like a ton of missed opportunities this draft with how many receivers we looked right past.   What if Coleman flops and next years WR class is kinda awful like 2023s?

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

I give Beane an A grade to date for the job he's done over the last two months. We weren't in a position to force anything. Instead, we made lemonade out of lemons. I really don't think you guys are giving him the credit he deserves for what he just pulled off. 

All this angst is mostly just fans getting pissed because they want to see a team specifically built around Josh, and Beane didn't do that this time. We opted to address teamwide needs rather than just wideout needs. And BTW, drafting your center of the future because you had the foresight to trade back IS building around Josh. 

Saying this team is in transition is just stating the obvious. I like that he isn't trying to fake sell us on anything.

What exactly did he pull off? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’d give Beane a B+ for this draft. I think overall he added a lot of nice, cheap, quality depth to this team, but did he add any quality game changers to this team like MHJ, Nabers or Odunze? I’m not saying he did, but I’m not saying he didn’t either. Beane essentially cut a bunch of old and overpriced players from the roster and added a bunch of youth. Well done, imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1