Rd 5, Pick 168: Edge Javon Solomon, Troy

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Did Dumerville have those freakishly long arms though? 

Turns out 32.6" versus Solomon at 34"...so advantage our guy. But not at all a terrible comp overall.

If we got the long-armed Dumerville, huge win. If he adds juice on the edge, the D could really be improved.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Did Dumerville have those freakishly long arms though? 

Turns out 32.6" versus Solomon at 34"...so advantage our guy. But not at all a terrible comp overall.

I compared Solomon to Dumervil upthread... the reason being that both have disproportionately long arms. The tale of the tape:

On 4/27/2024 at 5:45 PM, Sierra Foothills said:

Solomon's measurables are very similar to Elvis Dumervil, the Louisville product who was drafted in the 4th round and had a borderline HOF career:

Player                        Height             Weight               Arm Length       Wingspan           40 Yard           10 Yard Split

Elvis Dumervil         5'11.375              257                      32.625"              76"                    4.75                     1.65

Javon Solomon       6'                        246                     33.875"               80.250"             4.72                     1.65

105.5 Career Sacks

23 forced fumbles

2× First-team All-Pro (2009, 2014)

5× Pro Bowl (2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015)

NFL sacks leader (2009)

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Sierra Foothills said:

I compared Solomon to Dumervil upthread... the reason being that both have disproportionately long arms. The tale of the tape:

This deserves a noisy LFG because Solomon has legitimate traits and legitimate production from a small school that has already produced legitimate pass rushers. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/27/2024 at 5:37 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Gabe Davis was a dang good 4th round pick. 

I agree. The trouble is that he was just good enough to lose with. It's like having the second-best hand in poker. The fault lies not in him but in McBeane's faith that he could be a viable WR2. It took until the second half of last season, when both Allen and Brady gave up on him, for McBeane to accept their faith was misplaced. Their overvaluation of Davis is one of three key mistakes they have made in the Allen era, along with the Von Miller debacle and allowing an overmatched Spencer Brown to learn on the job.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/27/2024 at 9:18 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Could be.   I was optimistic about Arthur Moats and he's basically the same guy just 15 years later.   Only notable difference physically or in their college production is that Solomon has huge hands.   Maybe that's the difference between making it and being a journeyman special-teamer like Moats.   Moats was an elite character guy though too,  I don't know about Solomon.

Interesting.

Moats was pick #178 to Solomon's #168.

Honestly, if Solomon has the same type of career/contribution as Moats, I'd be happy with that. Even better if he becomes the next Milano, but that's probably not fair.

Moats wasnt a superstar, but he was a consistent, reliable contributor who would make a play or two when needed.

We could certainly do worse at this spot.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2024 at 3:47 PM, wppete said:

Very impressive guy. This could be a steal if he soaks up everything from Von Miller. Similar size and playing style. 

This dude is getting right by 300 pound dudes lol

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 4/27/2024 at 8:57 PM, mrags said:

Yeah and they’ve lost in every game that matters in the playoffs too. I’ll defer to it trusting McD and his process. As they used to say…Show me the baby 

Lol which games in the playoffs don't matter?  Silly take.  The game in the playoffs that you lose is always the one that matters the most.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Interesting.

Moats was pick #178 to Solomon's #168.

Honestly, if Solomon has the same type of career/contribution as Moats, I'd be happy with that. Even better if he becomes the next Milano, but that's probably not fair.

Moats wasnt a superstar, but he was a consistent, reliable contributor who would make a play or two when needed.

We could certainly do worse at this spot.

I can't say I'd be happy with that kind of result.   I'd at best be indifferent.

I was hoping they'd pick Austin Booker with that selection they traded to the Bears........and that's who the Bears took.

I liked what I saw of Solomon........I even thought he might have a clearer path to success in the NFL.   As an OLB edge rusher.  

But he's just not a fit for the Bills defense so he was basically off-the-board for me there.   Hopefully they find a way to make it work.   Didn't work with Moats.   On D he did next to nothing well with the Bills.   We were collectively glad to see him go after the 2013 season.   He played WAY better in Pittsburgh, in a scheme that fit his skills.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I can't say I'd be happy with that kind of result.   I'd at best be indifferent.

I was hoping they'd pick Austin Booker with that selection they traded to the Bears........and that's who the Bears took.

I liked what I saw of Solomon........I even thought he might have a clearer path to success in the NFL.   As an OLB edge rusher.  

But he's just not a fit for the Bills defense so he was basically off-the-board for me there.   Hopefully they find a way to make it work.   Didn't work with Moats.   On D he did next to nothing well with the Bills.   We were collectively glad to see him go after the 2013 season.   He played WAY better in Pittsburgh, in a scheme that fit his skills.

I'm pleased with the approach.  Our usual "type" at end seem to lack twitch off the edge.  Even as a designated pass rusher there is value and it is a clear need.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I'm pleased with the approach.  Our usual "type" at end seem to lack twitch off the edge.  Even as a designated pass rusher there is value and it is a clear need.

I agree. 

We seem to love power rusher/edge setter types. 'Tweeners who can play DE in base and DT on 3rd down. 

Just once I wanted them to take a swing on a freaky speed rusher type. Particularly with Von Miller still here to act as on field coach and mentor.

I view Soloman the same way I view Tylan Grable and Travis Clayton: High upside, boom or bust physical specimens. Of course, Soloman was taken in the 5th round, which makes it a riskier selection.

I'm excited to see him. He brings something to our edge group that it lacked.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Logic said:

I view Soloman the same way I view Tylan Grable and Travis Clayton: High upside, boom or bust physical specimens. Of course, Soloman was taken in the 5th round, which makes it a riskier selection.

I think they're different.  Grable and Clayton are projections based on potential.  Soloman has a track record of incredible production but just lacks prototypical size.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I think they're different.  Grable and Clayton are projections based on potential.  Soloman has a track record of incredible production but just lacks prototypical size.

Clayton's never played football, or any high level sport for that matter.  He's pure projection.  At least Grable played football, and at a Div. 1 school.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I don't disagree.   I've wanted them to become more multiple on defense for years.   Adapt to opponents like the Patriots did for years.   Or even like Spags and the Chiefs.   It's been maddening watching them in the same defense for 7 seasons and despite all of that continuity........when they get to the playoffs they are just fish in a barrel for the likes of Burrow and Mahomes.     Other teams actually do get stops against those QB's in the playoffs.    I just think this one move is an outlier.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

If we got the long-armed Dumerville, huge win. If he adds juice on the edge, the D could really be improved.

The hand size is why has me fired up.  Those are some big a$$ mitts he has!  Imagine getting smacked by this?  😵

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, finn said:

I agree. The trouble is that he was just good enough to lose with. It's like having the second-best hand in poker. The fault lies not in him but in McBeane's faith that he could be a viable WR2. It took until the second half of last season, when both Allen and Brady gave up on him, for McBeane to accept their faith was misplaced. Their overvaluation of Davis is one of three key mistakes they have made in the Allen era, along with the Von Miller debacle and allowing an overmatched Spencer Brown to learn on the job.

I agree mostly.

Depending on Davis to become more that he was was a mistake I also made !
Von Miller I was not on board with because  sunk contract. I had as few on my list back then.

But not that I expected this nasty injury

Brown ? I would have wanted an upgrade vet for him to learn behind another year (or two )
But not a player i felt wouldn't improve , if healthy

But Bills have for ever half assd RT.
BTW I think Bills might be fielding the best o Line in quite few years

Rooting for Javon ! of course !

He has very long arms and already has a solid repetoire of moves. I suspect he'll get a pretty fair number of snaps. Beane says if he was 2" taller, he'd have been long gone. Those who think this team won't keep any of their day 3 picks are mistaken. They really wana chance to coach these guys up and see what their ceiling is. At least that'smy impression. The new coaches will have to prove themselves.