Rd 4, Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky

His calling card is as a tough, inside-running guy, but he can be productive in the receiving game as well.

ESPN just pointed out that he had the most receiving touchdowns for a running back in the SEC IN 25 YEARS (!), with 8. That's pretty impressive.

To be able to go to your change of pace guy from James Cook and not necessarily lose anything in the passing game is a good thing.

ESPN also said they see some Frank Gore in his game. I think he'll be a good complement to Cook. 

I get the hand wringing over using a draft pick on a running back, but the Bills DID need one, and at least it's an offensive player.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Good hands, balance, and very good field vision (i.e. he has a good feel for the flow of the defense and where to find an opening). 
Disclaimer: My assessment is lacking in any real knowledge other than what I saw in the highlight vid. Just my overall impression.  

Just now, Capco said:

I'm 3 inches taller than the RB we just drafted and this dude has 60lbs on me.

I can't imagine being 3 inches shorter, 60lbs heavier, and not being fat lol.  

Do you use hurricane straps when there is a storm?  My math is 5'11 and 150 lbs. Woah. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Logic said:

His calling card is as a tough, inside-running guy, but he can be productive in the receiving game as well.

ESPN just pointed out that he had the most receiving touchdowns for a running back in the SEC IN 25 YEARS (!), with 8. That's pretty impressive.

To be able to go to your change of pace guy from James Cook and not necessarily lose anything in the passing game is a good thing.

ESPN also said they see some Frank Gore in his game. I think he'll be a good complement to Cook. 

I get the hand wringing over using a draft pick on a running back, but the Bills DID need one, and at least it's an offensive player.

Read a report on him he runs tough as *****. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Bangarang said:

We plucked Ty Johnson off the streets and he was a productive back behind Cook. 

Valid but call me crazy but if want someone better than Ty. This kid can be a 3 down RB from most of reports read on him and produced everywhere he went in college. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

I’m aware. One guy is not enough. Incredibly slow as a team, particularly on offense. 

Since we're obsessed with 40 times and they're the end all of speed considerations....

Ty Johnson - 4.40

Cook - 4.42

Shakir - 4.43

So that's now four fast guys including Samuel, now in addition to Coleman and Kincaid. Oh and just since he's still on the depth chart, although I don't expect anything, Isabella ran a 4.3

Are you arguing we need more 4.2 guys or something? Since like 3 of them exist in the league? Some of these reactions are insane.

It's also interesting to note that of the fastest 40 times clocked, that none of them ever did anything other than Chris Johnson. Most were simply track stars that have had worse careers than Marquise Goodwin.

Edited by Nelius
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Just from a high level philosophy, drafting a safety and a RB with two of our first four picks is bad strategy. The players might be good. But there is extremely low upside with that strategy. It's the two least valuable positions on the team.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean Beane loves his mid round RBs. 

Seems like a decent enough player but really is there any difference between what you can get in round 4 and round 6 or 7 these days? They are a dime a dozen.

Don't hate the player but hate the position and the Bills insistence on using mid round picks on RBs.

Agree.  One of the TV guys said he was the best receiver among RB's left so givin our QB, maybe that played into the decision ? 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

Since we're obsessed with 40 times and they're the end all of speed considerations....

Ty Johnson - 4.40

Cook - 4.42

Shakir - 4.43

So that's now four fast guys including Samuel, now in addition to two Coleman and Kincaid. Oh and just since he's still on the depth chart, although I don't expect anything, Isabella ran a 4.3

Are you arguing we need more 4.2 guys or something? Since like 3 of them exist in the league? Some of these reactions are insane.

It's also interesting to note that of the fastest 40 times clocked, that none of them ever did anything other than Chris Johnson. Most were simply track starts that have had worse careers than Marquise Goodwin.

They’re obsessed with Tyreek Hill. That’s where all of this is coming from. 

• Agree 1