Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Rounds 4-7 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

SDS

So we have all these picks that were supposedly ammo to move up and what do we do? Trade them for even more late picks. This makes zero sense in a draft with a lot of top 100 prospects but huge drop off late. At least 10 draft able wr or more and we end up with only Coleman. Sorry but this draft sucks. No way around it. We could look back in 3 years and not have a single starter. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

Van Pran will have a good chance to start, Carter will play in rotation and as the second DT on passing downs, and Ray Davis will split the load with Cook. 

I think that's all accurate but not as much of a sure thing as Bishop.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Talking about the WR group guy. Look, you all can try to reason as to why we are fine, better, whatever. People can continue to pucker up for every Beane/McDermott selection. That's your choice. But I don't have to agree with your assessment. And I don't believe that our group overall is more talented than it was last year. I just don't. I also think we blew an opportunity to get a couple of WR's who could help replenish the cupboard, especially in THIS draft. 

Yeah we’re really going to miss Gabe Davis putting up 0’s in the THREE different games last year. Sign me up for some of that. 

Diggs, while the team was going 6-1 and taking down another division crown-

315 yards, 34 catches, 1 TD. 
How on earth will they replace that kind of elite production from their true number one receiver.

I lived through Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, AVP, Losman, Edwards, Holcomb, etc, I will continue puckering up and then some so long as I never have to go back to that era of football… 

These guys know how to win, they’ve proven that.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You were hoping the Bills would go ***** it and get some flashy guy, problem is Beane doesn't do that because he thinks about tomorrow, which is honestly a good thing the way things are lined up next year is actually great. Also wouldn't just look past Coleman, guy like that hits his ceiling and he's a ***** menace.

I was hoping Beane would take some calculated risks.

With a few notable exceptions -- Stefon Diggs, Von Miller -- he has always been steady Eddie. Mr "I don't want to sacrifice our ability to compete long term by going all-in for the present year". 

That's fine. My concern is that he'd rather be very good for the next 10 years than try to be elite for a two or three year stretch. I fear that "very good" will get us to the divisional round every year, but will rarely beat the Chiefs, because the Chiefs are elite.

Sometimes I wish he'd sacrifice just a little bit out that steadfast long term thinking for a bigger splash now, yes. For instance, I thought Christian McCaffrey was worth trading our first rounder for. Many disagreed. Beane clearly disagreed. Instead, we kept it and used it on Kaiir Elam. That was the more prudent, "smart", long term thinking move to make. The only problem is that Kaiir Elam looks likely to be a bust, and Christian McCaffrey continues to be an elite offensive weapon and just helped the 49ers reach the Super Bowl and nearly win it.

The counter-point, clearly, is that the big swings he HAS taken -- Diggs and Miller -- didn't result in any titles for the Bills, and it was time to get younger and cheaper and re-tool the roster and go back to practical long term planning. Again, that's fine, but you'll have to forgive me if a two-year re-tooling in the name of practicality isn't my favorite thing to be looking at in the middle of Josh Allen's prime.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

We are trading down and taking the late picks because we still have to fill 24 roster spots for the preseason. Even if your out of guys you truly want big time you still want those picks because you can take them and their part of your roster instead of having to compete with 31 other teams to sign them in the UDFA process.

Its amazing how few people understand this stuff.

Camp fodder isn't really that hard to find. Why trade back for it?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I expect we'll be in contention for the division, but the offseason moves and our draft is being played face-up. We're in no way trying to win a  championship this year. I'm actually ok with that as long as there's a solid medium term vision. That's the part I have concerns about, especially if it includes McDermott, which it almost certainly does. I don't have any faith in our coaching on either side of the ball.

I've never had any game day faith in our coaching.  Now after this draft our wr room is embarrassing.  Have fun Josh, maybe eventually get in Sean's face.

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

But we pretty clearly are missing a WR on the roster right now. Coleman replaces Davis, Samuel replaces Harty, Hollins replaces Sherfield. There's one glaring replacement still missing. And I'm not saying I expect any rookie WR we add to match Diggs, but objectively there is a gaping hole on the roster there.

This off-season/draft (so far) is a home run if we still had Diggs in his prime. 

Im not saying we need Diggs in his prime, but we’re clearly missing one more bigger investment at WR. 

I somewhat expect us to use the post 6/1 money on another mercenary pass rusher, which if we take a depth corner at some point today, rounds out a really strong roster. 

But, as you point out, there’s a gaping hole in our WR room.  I don’t think we need an Aiyuk, but we need something better than Mack Hollins at WR4. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Couple of spots away from the Bills so board update time:

1. DJ James, CB, Auburn

2. Christian Mahogany, IOL, Boston College

3. Beau Brade, S, Maryland

4. Leonard Taylor, DT, Miami

5. Brenden Rice, WR, USC

6. Beaux Limmer, C, Arkansas

7. Malik Washington, WR, Virginia

8. Nathaniel Watson, LB, Mississippi State

9. Kitan Oladapo, S, Oregon State

10. Mekhi Wingo, DT, LSU

This is till my top 10.

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

So we have all these picks that were supposedly ammo to move up and what do we do? Trade them for even more late picks. This makes zero sense in a draft with a lot of top 100 prospects but huge drop off late. At least 10 draft able wr or more and we end up with only Coleman. Sorry but this draft sucks. No way around it. We could look back in 3 years and not have a single starter. 

Need a taker bud.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

But we pretty clearly are missing a WR on the roster right now. Coleman replaces Davis, Samuel replaces Harty, Hollins replaces Sherfield. There's one glaring replacement still missing. And I'm not saying I expect any rookie WR we add to match Diggs, but objectively there is a gaping hole on the roster there.

I think youre being to detailed in trying to plug guys into other guys (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Like I said upthread, I think we adjust the Offense back to what was more successful under Dabol, and that is spreading the ball around instead of forcing it to just 1 or 2 main guys (where 1 of those "holes" is).

Coleman

Samuel

Shakir

Kincaid

Knox

Cook

Another WR will be our... 7th option? 6th at best? How many are lining up each play? No more than 4-5.

And that isnt counting the amount of running plays we need to run either. Also not counting Hollins, Shorter, or even Isabella.

I wouldnt call it gaping, other than missing Diggs' talent.

I'm sure we'll bring in a vet after guys get cut. That's all we really need at this point. Doesnt have to come from the draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Yeah we’re really going to miss Gabe Davis putting up 0’s in the THREE different games last year. Sign me up for some of that. 

Diggs, while the team was going 6-1 and taking down another division crown-

315 yards, 34 catches, 1 TD. 
How on earth will they replace that kind of elite production from their true number one receiver.

I lived through Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, AVP, Losman, Edwards, Holcomb, etc, I will continue puckering up and then some so long as I never have to go back to that era of football… 

These guys know how to win, they’ve proven that.

Go Bills!

Whatever makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. I lived through all of that as well. Don't forget the Chapstick :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Samuel replaces Diggs.

• Agree 1