[Vague Title]

For all the whining and bellyaching about Coleman being our first pick (I was disappointed myself) it’s time to man up and admit that none of us are draft experts…some draft analysts had Franklin going late 1st, and many of us would’ve been happy taking him at 33.  For those in here who had Franklin going 4th round, where have we erred, and why were we so wrong?  

• Like (+1) 17
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Well...there is no guarantee they are right either.

Plenty of round 4 WRs end up as really good players that would have been taken in the first round of there was a "do over" 4 years later.

I guess we would have to revisit it in 4 years to know, just like we would any pick really.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I have no idea if this guy is going to be a good WR. I have seen very little of him. I just feel like we didn’t do anywhere near enough at WR. I don’t want to even attempt to fix this today. These rounds are not where you find suitable replacements. Can you get lucky? Yes. Nothing in this league is a give. And I’m not interested in just writing years off. We lost the best/2nd best WR in teen history and Davis and replaced them with basically nothing. It’s not enough. I fully  expect led us to move way up and get one of the true studs here or trade for an Ayuk/Samuel. This isn’t good enough enough now and I fear it’s too late to make a move that will change that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 5

7 minutes ago, Dunkirk Donski said:

For all the whining and bellyaching about Coleman being our first pick (I was disappointed myself) it’s time to man up and admit that none of us are draft experts…some draft analysts had Franklin going late 1st, and many of us would’ve been happy taking him at 33.  For those in here who had Franklin going 4th round, where have we erred, and why were we so wrong?  

you don’t have access to medicals or interviews. It’s not so much being wrong as not having all the info.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, peterpan said:

The more YouTube vids I see of Coleman, the better he is loooking.  I was a little too quick to judge at first.  He is faster and smoother than I remembered.  Still a project guy tho 

Yeah, he does pass the eye test.  Not blazing fast, but really good athlete, pretty smooth for his size, goes up and gets the ball in contested catch situations.  There's a lot to like there.  I think he projects as an upgrade on Gabe Davis as the vertical threat in the offense.  Don't see him as the do it all #1 guy.

• Like (+1) 4

Drafting players and how they will pan in in the NFL is never an exact science.  Fans are allowed to have opinions.  Most of the time they are wrong lol.  But there has been plenty of times where Beane & Co. have been wrong themselves.  We just have to let it play out but of course fans are going to have their opinions 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

you don’t have access to medicals or interviews. It’s not so much being wrong as not having all the info.

Correct.  And there's got to be something there beyond just a mediocre combine that is concerning teams.  He's got great advanced stats and proves his skills on the field over multiple seasons.

When I was in my 20s and 30s I loved the Draft.  Couldn't get enough content or coverage.   Would get upset about picks, talk about reaches and value picks.

In my 40s I take it for what it is.   Teams picking players that they think will fit their programs based on educated guesses.   I don't down people on this board for having opinions, because some of you really understand the game.    Bottom line is somewhere between 60-70% of the guy's taken won't be anything beyond depth.

The Draft stopped being fun when the Bills got good.   I am more than happy for that.   It also gives me more reason to trust the guy's involved in their front office.   If you want something fun to do instead of the Draft, the NBA playoffs are a great alternative.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Well...there is no guarantee they are right either.

Plenty of round 4 WRs end up as really good players that would have been taken in the first round of there was a "do over" 4 years later.

I guess we would have to revisit it in 4 years to know, just like we would any pick really.

I totally agree, but why exactly have all 32 teams passed up on this guy 3 times.  I still think he can have an above average career in the nfl.

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Yeah, he does pass the eye test.  Not blazing fast, but really good athlete, pretty smooth for his size, goes up and gets the ball in contested catch situations.  There's a lot to like there.  I think he projects as an upgrade on Gabe Davis as the vertical threat in the offense.  Don't see him as the do it all #1 guy.

Yeah, seems to be a niche player, where his wheelhouse will be contested catches and some of the slower developing post routes. 

Ultimately, like the rest of our pass catchers, it will fall on Brady and Josh to scheme and execute. 

I love that we have a guy who has 85 catches in 87 attempts, plus Kincaid from last year. That's a blatant attempt to get better pass catchers (where Davis, Knox and others have struggled in recent years). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Yep. 

I’ll tell you ONE thing. Mcbeane BETTER be right. They directly passed and traded on worthy and leggette. So I don’t care about “fit” and “scheme” and all that BS. So Coleman BETTER be better than those two guys.

What’s concerning: Josh Allen seemed to pick Coleman ? Uhhhhh - i don’t want my qb involved tbh 

once again I’m sick of the premium mcbeane places on “captain” and “character.” We ARE not winning in the playoffs . We NEED impact players. 

still don’t have impact players. This is a gross draft so far . Def rebuild. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Correct.  And there's got to be something there beyond just a mediocre combine that is concerning teams.  He's got great advanced stats and proves his skills on the field over multiple seasons.

The combine results were indicative of a lack of preparation which demonstrates a poor work ethic. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It may be that NFL teams just don't like him,  but before anyone gloats,  I would offer the peanut gallery a cautionary tale of a guy named Khalil Shakir.  He was another prospect who was generally regarded as a day two prospect who got caught up in the numbers of a deep WR draft class and fell into the 5th round as teams had already filled their needs at the position.  That type of thing can happen in a deep draft class.

I don't know for certain if that type of scenario is playing out here for Franklin or whether teams just don't like him as much, but  it wouldn't surprise me.  

Edited by Brandon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Dunkirk Donski said:

I totally agree, but why exactly have all 32 teams passed up on this guy 3 times.  I still think he can have an above average career in the nfl.

Who knows?

All the teams did the same thing to Amon-Ra St Brown when he was drafted in the 4th round and now he is the highest paid WR in NFL history 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

frankly there are just a lot of guys that pass the eye test on the field this year. 

To have the strikes of the lean frame plus combine flub just put him at the back of a crowded group. It’s nothing wildly crazy.

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

But everyone watched 4 mins of highlights and a video by some social media influencer draft "expert" so that's all that's needed

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It may be that NFL teams just don't like him,  but before anyone gloats,  I would offer the peanut gallery a cautionary tale of a guy named Khalil Shakir.  He was another prospect who was generally regarded as a day two prospect who got caught up in the numbers of a deep WR draft class and fell into the 5th round as teams had already filled their needs at the position.  That type of thing can happen in a deep draft class.

I don't know for certain if that type of scenario is playing out here for Franklin or whether teams just don't like him as much, but  it wouldn't surprise me.  

Another good example (albeit a bit different) is DK Metcalf. He was very highly touted by draft pundits and some had him going in the top 10. He fell to the bottom of the second where he was taken by the Seahawks. I’m a re-draft he’d likely go top 10, if not too 15.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Dunkirk Donski said:

Armchair GMs are the worst.  People act like they know more than Beane and his staff.  It’s laughable 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5