Rd 2, Pick 60: DB Cole Bishop, Utah

SDS

On 4/28/2024 at 11:19 AM, Shaw66 said:

I get the impression that the safety job, as McDermott has designed it, is about the most-challenging position on the defense from a mental point of view, perhaps even more difficult than MLB.

What benefits come from this complexity? Do these benefits outweigh having the best talent on the field?

15 hours ago, Chaos said:

What benefits come from this complexity? Do these benefits outweigh having the best talent on the field?

Only way to slow modern day passing attacks.  Having the ability to change pre-post snap looks is how you create mistakes and turnovers.  Getting in and out of coverages when offenses use formation and motion to stress defensive principles is how you avoid big plays.   Mcdermott got his guy lets see what he does.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Only way to slow modern day passing attacks.  Having the ability to change pre-post snap looks is how you create mistakes and turnovers.  Getting in and out of coverages when offenses use formation and motion to stress defensive principles is how you avoid big plays.   Mcdermott got his guy lets see what he does.   

Is the complexity other teams can do without, so they can get their best athletes on the field? Or is this for safeties on all teams "if it is the only way"? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 3:35 AM, Billzgobowlin said:

I see Hyde coming back and having him on a modified pitch count which would make our 4 deep at Safety really good.  This gives Bishop some time to learn from Hyde and excel.

I think Hyde is going to retire. I think they are comfortable with Bishop and Edwards starting while Rapp plays as the primary backup and situationally. Hamlin and Cam Lewis are depth ST players.

That’s a solid 5 deep group at safety I just doubt they are going to bring in Hyde and yoyo him on snaps.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Hyde is going to retire. I think they are comfortable with Bishop and Edwards starting while Rapp plays as the primary backup and situationally. Hamlin and Cam Lewis are depth ST players.

That’s a solid 5 deep group at safety I just doubt they are going to bring in Hyde and yoyo him on snaps.

Sounds to me like the Bills (and probably NFL teams in general) are waiting on Hyde's decision to either seek another NFL contract or hang 'em up for good. Beane said all but the retirement part out loud recently. He said the Bills do not yet know/are waiting to hear what Hyde has decided. WHAT Hyde is deciding on exactly, I guess, could be whether to agree to whatever modest contract number the Bills have proposed, if they've even gotten that far with his agent, versus continuing to seek more money and/or term elsewhere...but I strongly suspect it's more existential than that at this stage. My read is, like you @billsfan89, that Hyde is considering retirement...and also that the Bills would 100% welcome him back at a modest number for one more run if he decides to suit it up again in 2024. Kind of a no brainer for the team, but all contingent on the player. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Sounds to me like the Bills (and probably NFL teams in general) are waiting on Hyde's decision to either seek another NFL contract or hang 'em up for good. Beane said all but the retirement part out loud recently. He said the Bills do not yet know/are waiting to hear what Hyde has decided. WHAT Hyde is deciding on exactly, I guess, could be whether to agree to whatever modest contract number the Bills have proposed, if they've even gotten that far with his agent, versus continuing to seek more money and/or term elsewhere...but I strongly suspect it's more existential than that at this stage. My read is, like you @billsfan89, that Hyde is considering retirement...and also that the Bills would 100% welcome him back at a modest number for one more run if he decides to suit it up again in 2024. Kind of a no brainer for the team, but all contingent on the player. 

I think this sounds right, and I appreciate the well-crafted sentences.

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Intersting ,,, thought Beane said they were looking to trade UP from 60?

They seemed to entertain the move down …

Both can be true, but then he either wasn't trying to trade up for Bishop or he was thinking about moving down only in case that Bishop was gone.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Both can be true, but then either wasn't trying to trade up for Bishop or he was thinking abput moving down only in case that Bishop was gone.

Yep, that sounds right.  If Bishop was gone Bean would have traded down.  In the video Bean acted like he won the lottery when he got Bishop.  There was no way with Bishop on the board he trades down.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I think Bishop will turn out to be the best pick of this class. 

Due to the fact that McD always seems to get the most out of the players in the Secondary, Bishop has the potential to be the best Safety from this draft as well.

It will also be interesting to see how he matches up covering the top TE's in the league.....I'm sure this is one of the main roles McBeane envision Bishop filling.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Chaos said:

Is the complexity other teams can do without, so they can get their best athletes on the field? Or is this for safeties on all teams "if it is the only way"? 

Only way?  No.  But no different than Mikes.  They do similar things pre snap a Qb does.  This is not highschool or college where you call a play and thats it.  Some defenses have a handful of coverages some have more.  By utilizing the split saftey look they have the ability to do much more.  Mcdermott is a Shanahan McVay defensive coach.  His defense changes week by week.  At mike and Safety they need guys comfortable with the whole defense to not only execute the game plan but handle the gameday adjustments in real time and keep the defense sound. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Special K said:

Due to the fact that McD always seems to get the most out of the players in the Secondary, Bishop has the potential to be the best Safety from this draft as well.

It will also be interesting to see how he matches up covering the top TE's in the league.....I'm sure this is one of the main roles McBeane envision Bishop filling.

Kincaid said Bishop got the best of him in college. We shall see

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/29/2024 at 7:24 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Right, it's also why they have the offensive draft philosophy they do, because McDermott wants ball control.

Junior.

On all NFL teams the OC, DC and HC put in personnel / skill set requests, it is the the responsibility of the scouting department to inform the GM of likely candidates and the GM then negotiates the draft to get the players needed as much as is possible, there is no behind the scenes secretive scheming going on, imo you’re jumping the shark a bit, nuthin but luv, 😁👍

On 4/30/2024 at 7:56 PM, Richard Noggin said:

I don’t doubt the Bills would consider bringing Hyde back if he wants to come back. However, he’s either gotta attempt to be a full time player or retire. I don’t think the Bills are going to rotate safeties.

I think it’s a 90% chance Hyde retires and I would bank most of the remaining 10% that if Hyde comes back it’s gonna be in season if an injury happens. There’s not going to be big money for Hyde and I just don’t think with the wear and tear on his body and his age (34 this year) he’s going to want to go through camp and a full season. Take the summer and first 6-8 weeks of the season off and come back if needed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1