Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Really that's what it has to be, it couldn't be that through the process Beane has interacted with him and knowing the Bills fanbase is a little excited for them get to know a guy he knows they'll enjoy. Or hell it could even be that Beane getting a bunch of stupid ***** for the pick but he knows that when people listen to the guy they're going to really like the guy.

But no it has to be some sort of conspiracy against the team and city because that makes more sense. 😭

If you think beane and McD don’t pick players , at least in part, for anything but pure football reasons then I’m not sure what to tell you

10 hours ago, 86poker said:

For those assuming that Coleman will be bad because of his 40 time

Antonio Brown 4.56

Davante Adams 4.56

Chad Johnson 4.57

Cooper Kupp 4.62

Larry Fitzgerald 4.63

Chris Carter 4.63

Anquan Boldin 4.71

Jerry Rice 4.71

10 hours ago, wettlaufer said:

Chill out, worry warts.

image.thumb.png.f4de7e8c986ba1c09423c3cf089567f0.png

And my complete list of 25 receivers, below:

On 4/27/2024 at 6:07 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

In this topic Keon Coleman has been compared to the following bigger receivers who had middling 40 times:

Eric Moulds N/A

Keenan Allen 4.71 (Pro Day)

Anquan Boldin 4.71

Devin Funchess 4.70

Terrell Owens 4.63

Larry Fitzgerald 4.63

Cooper Kupp 4.62

Kelvin Benjamin 4.61

Allen Robinson 4.60

Tee Higgins 4.59

Plaxico Burress 4.59

Puka Nacua 4.57

DeAndre Hopkins 4.57

Michael Thomas 4.57

Davante Adams 4.56

Courtland Sutton 4.54

Mike Williams 4.54

Gabriel Davis 4.54

Brandon Marshall 4.53

Mike Evans 4.53

James Hardy 4.53

Dez Bryany 4.52

Michael Pittman Jr. 4.52

Vincent Jackson 4.51

Kenny Golladay 4.50

It's also been brought up that players that timed slower like Jerry Rice (4.71), Steve Largent (4.70), and Antonio Brown (4.48) had great NFL careers. Amon-Ra St Brown (4.59) is on that trajectory.

I think the following points are indisputable:

• No one here knows what Keon Coleman's career will look like (we might think we do but we don't because all of us have been wrong about players)
  • He was drafted 33rd overall
  • A slower 40 time does not guarantee failure in the NFL
  • Play speed is different than timed speed
  • Based on his RAS, the game tape, his multi-sport exploits, and professional opinions, Coleman is an elite athlete EXCEPT for top end speed
  • Besides elite athletic traits he brings size, toughness, elite contested catch ability, and elite blocking ability to a WR room that had none of the above
  • His size, toughness, and unique traits will translate well to cold weather, late season and playoff games when DPI becomes legalized

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

You don’t want your all star QB to give feedback on what receivers he thinks would make him the most successful? You think it’s so bad, in fact, that the GM should be fired for listening to his most valuable asset?

Sorry, I just don’t see the logic.

The scouts spent hours and hours evaluating each player, watching tape, interviewing the player, talking to their coaches, looking at combine data, discussing the player with each other, comparing the player to other players etc.   

How much time did you think Allen spent on this?   They probably gave him 10 minute highlight video and a one page summary of seven or eight guys and asked him for his impressions.   Maybe a three hours altogether tops. He was probably okay with most of them since it is hard for me to believe that Bills scouts wouldn't be able to rule out guys that definitely won't be a fit with their QB. 

Do you get feedback from your franchise QB?  Sure, but I definitely hope that they didn't decide on passing over Worthy and Legette because Allen was banging the table for Coleman. That is not Allen's job.  My guess is that he would have also been perfectly okay with Worthy and Legette and the "Allen wanted Coleman" business is just a bit of stupid but relatively harmless PR.

Edited by Billy Claude

5 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

And my complete list of 25 receivers, below:

Here is the thing, how many good to great players on your list? Tons!  Now go look at the guys who have the fastest 40 times.  Most are terrible.

Track speed and football speed ARE two different things, and it's shown for decades now, but still many put too much into 40 times.

I liked Coleman and I liked the pick. Trading down and getting a 3rd round pick and still getting your guy is brilliant.

I don't know how his career is going to go, I just know if he doesn't pan out, it won't be from lack of talent or effort.  I pray he gets coached up right.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, stevestojan said:

This kid is already doing/saying everything right to instantly become a fan favorite. 

And he isn't trying to be a favorite, it's just him.  Please God let them coach this kid up and scheme him open.

20 hours ago, Sweats said:

The funny thing is that everyone loves this pick for this franchise. I haven't heard or read even one person say it was a bad pick for the Bills (i agree), however, Bills fans in all of their infinite wisdom and YouTube knowledge are the first ones to berate it and then, say our FO is wrong.......you know, when they were wrong about drafting JA, so i take this all with a grain of salt cause i've witnessed what this kid can do and he is electric.

Could it be that Bills fans are wrong?..........never, just ask them.

Same ones saying this was a bad pick said Allen was too.

• Like (+1) 1

Now we all should be convinced, right?

GTFOH

The ONLY way to know if this kid is a hit is when he hits the field. It’s been the same way with EVERY prospect in EVERY sport through the history of time, other than Mario Lemieux. 

Winter sports drafting systems changed because of Lemieux.

There has yet to be a prospect in the history of football/baseball that will change the system because of a SUPER prospect like Lemieux.

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Now we all should be convinced, right?

GTFOH

The ONLY way to know if this kid is a hit is when he hits the field. It’s been the same way with EVERY prospect in EVERY sport through the history of time, other than Mario Lemieux. 

Winter sports drafting systems changed because of Lemieux.

There has yet to be a prospect in the history of football/baseball that will change the system because of a SUPER prospect like Lemieux.

There was also a kid named Gretzky people were pretty fond of.  And going back further a kid named Perreault..

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, Sweats said:

The funny thing is that everyone loves this pick for this franchise. I haven't heard or read even one person say it was a bad pick for the Bills (i agree), however, Bills fans in all of their infinite wisdom and YouTube knowledge are the first ones to berate it and then, say our FO is wrong.......you know, when they were wrong about drafting JA, so i take this all with a grain of salt cause i've witnessed what this kid can do and he is electric.

Could it be that Bills fans are wrong?..........never, just ask them.

I'd trust Bills fans over Shannon Sharpe and Chad Johnson. 

Also when have you ever heard former players say rookies aren't going to do well. They almost all say they will do well, but yet we know the bust rate is far greater than the success rate.

So no I don't really care what these guys say.

We will judge with our own eyes and see how he plays. 

Right now the general consensus on this board is he a more consistent version of Gabe Davis. If that is true then for a second round pick I can live with that. That means he is somewhere around 40-50 catches, 600-800 yards, and 4-8 TDs. Gabe's rookie year he had 35 catches, 7 TD and 599 yards. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There was also a kid named Gretzky people were pretty fond of.  And going back further a kid named Perrault.

Gretzky was already on a pro team and was never a part of the draft process.

I remember the NHL fought like hell to make Gretzky a free agent as a condition to the Oilers entering the NHL in 1979, but obviously never happened.

11 hours ago, Taro Nimbus said:

So is everyone still against this pick???

Yes, I don't know how anyone can watch this man play football and think he will be successful in the NFL.  The dude just runs what looks like half speed out there.  His routes are a joke.  They are not crisp, they are not sudden, they are not twitchy, they are not precise, and to top it all off, he looks to be in slow motion.  I personally think his hands are grossly overrated.  Go watch the 22 min video on youtube of him, there are countless balls that are in his hands that he doesn't come down with.  I don't know why those aren't counted as drops.

The guy will not win on the outside in the NFL.  Sauce Gardner will literally laugh at Coleman trying to get opened.  He will be walking out there and able to be in his hip pocket.  You think Coleman is going up over Gardner to get a ball?!

This is the type of talent that you will find in the later rounds or even undrafted.

This is just baffling to me scouts watched this man play and came away with the impression he will be a good WR.  

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Yes, I don't know how anyone can watch this man play football and think he will be successful in the NFL.  The dude just runs what looks like half speed out there.  His routes are a joke.  They are not crisp, they are not sudden, they are not twitchy, they are not precise, and to top it all off, he looks to be in slow motion.  I personally think his hands are grossly overrated.  Go watch the 22 min video on youtube of him, there are countless balls that are in his hands that he doesn't come down with.  I don't know why those aren't counted as drops.

The guy will not win on the outside in the NFL.  Sauce Gardner will literally laugh at Coleman trying to get opened.  He will be walking out there and able to be in his hip pocket.  You think Coleman is going up over Gardner to get a ball?!

This is the type of talent that you will find in the later rounds or even undrafted.

This is just baffling to me scouts watched this man play and came away with the impression he will be a good WR.  

Some people have actually watched a little more than a YouTube video to assess this guy, myself included and to judge a guy's talents only from social media outlets and YouTube is grossly negligent and irresponsible.

Go back and watch full Michigan State and FSU games (you can find them on YouTube.......apparently, you are a YouTube master, so you'll figure it out) and watch the complete package on this guy. It's not always the plays that you see on highlight reels that highlight his skills, but it's the plays he makes that you won't see on social media outlets.......the blocking, slant routes, etc.

That is all i have to say to you, sir.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I said for months that the Bills would love his leadership and character traits and that he was the type of player they would love because of his maximum effort and doing the small things it takes to win. 

Most didn’t want to hear that cause they read a couple scouting reports and wanted more speed guys 

Yeah but I said it first :huh:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Some people have actually watched a little more than a YouTube video to assess this guy, myself included and to judge a guy's talents only from social media outlets and YouTube is grossly negligent and irresponsible.

Go back and watch full Michigan State and FSU games (you can find them on YouTube.......apparently, you are a YouTube master, so you'll figure it out) and watch the complete package on this guy. It's not always the plays that you see on highlight reels that highlight his skills, but it's the plays he makes that you won't see on social media outlets.......the blocking, slant routes, etc.

That is all i have to say to you, sir.

I have noticed that you have a habit of announcing that you have spoken when you "speak," which is redundant, though rhetorically memorable. I hope it does not become a contagion that results in an unspoken rule. It would be tiresome if everyone who posts informs folks that they have spoken.

I have spoken.