Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Round 1 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

Simon

DeJean seems like a fine player, but if he was truly valued by the Bills, I think he would have been grabbed at #28. However we are pretty deep at CB. Johnson, Benford, Douglas, and Elam is a pretty solid stable and good enough for this year. Maybe Elam gives you some extra growth and can get on the field more. Also, Beane has done a good job finding talent at this position in the mid to late rounds so I think I trust his eye for talent later in the draft. 

I think #33 should be receiver. Franklin, Mitchell, McConkey, Polk, and Coleman are all players to take a shot at. You can maybe gamble on DeJean at #33 then try to grab one of these receivers with a trade up of #60. Or maybe one of them falls that low. I just don’t think that is a good idea given we are so weak at the position and need to get one of them.

Rounds 2-5 have produced elite WR talent the last few years. We have many picks in this range at the moment. Enough that we can grab 2 lottery tickets and fill the rest of the roster out with the rest. Amon-Ra, Puka, Jayden Reed, AJ Brown, Rice, Tank, Downs, Collins, Higgins, and Pickens all are starters that were taken in that range in recent years. I hope we play the numbers game and can find the next WR to that list. 

7 minutes ago, major said:

McDermott doesn’t go for players with alleged issues, except for players like Miller who we are stuck with 

Miller had issues (domestic abuse) long before we got him.

Diggs was a locker room cancer.

We kept Tyrel Dodson on the roster after we found out about his issues (domestic abuse)

Incognito is Incognito

Zay Jones took bath salts and went crazy

Kromer punched a teenager and threatened to kill his family

Ed Oliver drove around drunk with a weapon in the car

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The All-Pro-Knox Gallery said:

DeJean seems like a fine player, but if he was truly valued by the Bills, I think he would have been grabbed at #28. However we are pretty deep at CB. Johnson, Benford, Douglas, and Elam is a pretty solid stable and good enough for this year. Maybe Elam gives you some extra growth and can get on the field more. Also, Beane has done a good job finding talent at this position in the mid to late rounds so I think I trust his eye for talent later in the draft. 

I think #33 should be receiver. Franklin, Mitchell, McConkey, Polk, and Coleman are all players to take a shot at. You can maybe gamble on DeJean at #33 then try to grab one of these receivers with a trade up of #60. Or maybe one of them falls that low. I just don’t think that is a good idea given we are so weak at the position and need to get one of them.

Rounds 2-5 have produced elite WR talent the last few years. We have many picks in this range at the moment. Enough that we can grab 2 lottery tickets and fill the rest of the roster out with the rest. Amon-Ra, Puka, Jayden Reed, AJ Brown, Rice, Tank, Downs, Collins, Higgins, and Pickens all are starters that were taken in that range in recent years. I hope we play the numbers game and can find the next WR to that list. 

I don’t think Franklin, Polk or Coleman should be considered early in round 2.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, The All-Pro-Knox Gallery said:

Couldn't agree more with this.

If we pass on DeJean, there will be plenty of other Safety prospects in rounds 3-5, of which McBeane no doubt have identified a few who are very good fits for us.

If we pass on WR & take DeJean, it's much riskier finding a WR later.

32 minutes ago, EggFartExplosion said:

I wonder what Brandon Beane's farts taste like after an egg salad sandwich.

Going through the trouble of creating an account, finding a picture for your avatar, and then making dumb posts seems like a weird way to waste your time -- especially during draft weekend.

You should probably re-evaluate your life choices.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, 947 said:

If we pass on DeJean, there will be plenty of other Safety prospects in rounds 3-5, of which McBeane no doubt have identified a few who are very good fits for us.

Kam Kinchens is one of my favorite mid round guys for safety. Big time playmaker who had his stock destroyed due to a bad combine. But the few games of his I saw this year he really stood out. Feel like safety is one of those positions that combine numbers are not everything. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, The All-Pro-Knox Gallery said:

We're what, now???

5 hours ago, Dan said:

It’s not about worrying about the Chiefs.  It’s about not helping them.  Of all the teams in the league that is the last team I would want to help.  The only way you could possibly justify this is if you think getting a late round pick significantly improves the team.    Just getting an extra pick doesn’t do that. 

This is the same logic we saw for years with teams helping the pats with those stupid trades that allowed them to sustain a perennial Super Bowl winner. 

I think this comes down to… you and others think the Bills FO are smarter than the one that has made the conference championship game every year, and won multiple Super Bowls.   I’m of the opinion you don’t let that team do what they want in the draft because records currently show… they’re making better decisions than you.   

Not helping the Chiefs is way less of an issue than trying to help the Bills.

Four options to consider:

1) Pick Worthy at 28

2) Pick someone else at 28

3) Trade with Chiefs

4) Trade with someone else

We weren't doing #1 based on our evaluations of players. If #2 we take who we want at 32 (33) with that pick, then either trade up by Chiefs with Dallas, Baltimore, Niners for Worthy, or one of those teams picks Worthy, or Chiefs get Worthy at 32.

Can't guess on trade with someone else, I see more Ginn Jr than Tyreek in Worthy (time will tell) so I'm not sure which option does more to make the Bills better than what we did. I just don't see anybody I fall in love with at 28, and would rather have three players in the top 100 than two players in the top 100, and very likely we still get our favorite choice at 33.

The players I wanted more than the #33 pick that wouldn't have cost the future are Thomas at #23 and Arnold at #24, but not sure there was a trade partner to make that happen. Absent that there is nobody I coveted at #28 that is worth more than extra picks.

We will see tonight how they do.

30 minutes ago, Logic said:

Going through the trouble of creating an account, finding a picture for your avatar, and then making dumb posts seems like a weird way to waste your time -- especially during draft weekend.

You should probably re-evaluate your life choices.

And they should take their phone and throw it into the middle of a busy intersection or hurl it into the nearest body of water. 

I always hate rooting "against" young guys who just got drafted - but what the heck, they're millionaires, they'll be fine.

I hope Maye busts worse than Trubisky.  I hope he's the next Leaf.

1 hour ago, EggFartExplosion said:

I wonder what Brandon Beane's farts taste like after an egg salad sandwich.

I wonder if you'll get a double digit post total before you are banned.

1 hour ago, 947 said:

The next WR taken will be WR8. Half a round later we’ll be looking at WR10+

How deep do they think this draft is???

8 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I admittedly am more stressed for tonight's draft than I was for yesterday's. Most of my stress comes from the fear that we will pick a DB at #33. I really want the first pick to be a WR. 

I’m beginning to 100% think Beane believes we don’t need WR as much as 90% of the fans do. We shall see very soon. 

Edited by Thrivefourfive

• SDS locked and unpinned this topic