[POLL] Should The Bills Trade Up For A WR?

boyst

[POLL]Trade Up For A WR? Who?  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade up inside the top 8 for a WR?

• Yes
    • No

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Marvin Harrison allegedly killed someone so if it can floated that is hereditary we could land Marv Jr in the teens

I have tried to tell people about this and that the recent arrest with 30 lbs of meth, getting pulled over with that rocket launcher and machine gun, and having dead hookers in the trunk was a concern. 

• Haha (+1) 3

On 4/3/2024 at 3:09 PM, Blackbeard said:

We are entering the teams second window with Allen.

We will NEVER see another QB his calibre on this team.  Not in this lifetime.

GO ALL IN NOW.  GET TOP TARGET.

This team lacks difference makers, running it back with more average players isn’t going to get it done. Go get some difference makers this team needs some.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I have also seen him play plenty of times.

My response was to someone just declaring him a "true #1" when he hasn't had to be one.

His game needs work before he is a complete receiver imo. He has great physical talents and can definitely get there......but he is not a slam dunk and might be more of a deep threat early in his career.

Besides the top 3, I think Franklin  might be the most pro ready.  He is not the physical specimen Thomas is but he is a really good football player. Smart, clever, deceptive routes, an innate ability to get open, the instincts and explosiveness after the catch to be a threat from anywhere on the field. Had no problems getting off the line and beating man coverage consistently.

I will not be surprised if he is productive from the start and has a really good rookie year.

Oh I agree he needs work.  Cossell said that Thomas is more pro ready right now.  But Cossell named Thomas and AD as the 2 guys he felt could develop into #1's.  I trust his opinion. 

And if both Thomas Jr. And AD are there I go with TJ 1st.

19 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I would rather spend our draft capital on defense or the OL where its needed. If this draft is as receiver rich as we're told we shouldn't need to trade up.

Stefon Diggs was a 5th round pick. Marques Colston was undrafted. Cooper Kupp and Puka Nacqua were late round picks.

I like big marquee names as much as anyone but I'm quite comfortable winning ugly. We have had no defensive impact players in the Clappy/Beane era.

Enough with expecting Josh to pull out miracles every week. How about a stout run game, another pass rusher and some players on the back 7 who can tackle?

I get where you are coming from and do not totally disagree...BUT the Defensive player better be a damn great pass rusher.  And if we go D @ 28, we need to trade up in the 2nd and get the best WR possible.

As for as OL, I am fine with it as is. McGovern has trained to be a center and I feel their plan is he being the man from now on.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Oh I agree he needs work.  Cossell said that Thomas is more pro ready right now.  But Cossell named Thomas and AD as the 2 guys he felt could develop into #1's.  I trust his opinion. 

And if both Thomas Jr. And AD are there I go with TJ 1st.

I get where you are coming from and do not totally disagree...BUT the Defensive player better be a damn great pass rusher.  And if we go D @ 28, we need to trade up in the 2nd and get the best WR possible.

As for as OL, I am fine with it as is. McGovern has trained to be a center and I feel their plan is he being the man from now on.

Like you, I just want one impact player in this draft. I'm fine if its at WR. I just don't want to mortgage the farm. I don't expect a TJ Watt type player from where we pick either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Like you, I just want one impact player in this draft. I'm fine if its at WR. I just don't want to mortgage the farm. I don't expect a TJ Watt type player from where we pick either.

Agreed. I just shake my head at folks thinking we need to trade our 1st next year to move up.  Nope.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

This team lacks difference makers, running it back with more average players isn’t going to get it done. Go get some difference makers this team needs some.

They aren’t running it back, they are doing a mini-rebuild.  Give them 2 off-seasons to get younger.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

They aren’t running it back, they are doing a mini-rebuild.  Give them 2 off-seasons to get younger.

I meant just getting average players in the draft. I do know they have to get younger. But we have drafted at the end of the round and honestly Bean has made some mistakes. so if trading up is what it takes I’ll say this, he needs to hit on our first two rounds, and these guys need to provide more than the Boogies and Epenesa’s of past drafts…

• Like (+1) 1

I said no, just because there is a slight chance the Bills could have a top 15-20 draft pick next year, and that would come in very handy for the rebuil…would hate to give that to another team…👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I meant just getting average players in the draft. I do know they have to get younger. But we have drafted at the end of the round and honestly Bean has made some mistakes. so if trading up is what it takes I’ll say this, he needs to hit on our first two rounds, and these guys need to provide more than the Boogies and Epenesa’s of past drafts…

The thing is, guys like Epenesa are pretty good late 2nd round picks.  There is, of course, a big difference between early 2nd and late 2nd.

Look at the players projected to be available at 60 this year and compare that to what will likely be available early 2nd.  It is a very big difference.  

Given this team is undergoing a mini rebuild and picking late in each round, I think they are best off taking best player available at high value positions.  They have to find contributors.  I know they have to find a WR, but after that, they can easily justify best player available at DE, DT, CB, S.  By the time they are into their picks in the late 4th and later, any position is in play (in my opinion) - just find the best players that are there.

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I said no, just because there is a slight chance the Bills could have a top 15-20 draft pick next year, and that would come in very handy for the rebuil…would hate to give that to another team…👍

I don’t think that is a slight chance.  I think 8-8 this year is probably about what to expect, but a key injury to Allen, Oliver, or maybe someone else and it could be worse.  What does the season look like if Von Miller doesn’t play any better than last year?  It could get pretty ugly.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Disagree 1

I voted no. We need multiple receivers and blockers which are both said to be plentiful in this draft. Why would we want to trade away early draft picks? This would be an impulsive, poorly thought Whaley type move.

Jmo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I voted yes, but only if it doesn’t gut our draft this year or next year, 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

The thing is, guys like Epenesa are pretty good late 2nd round picks.  There is, of course, a big difference between early 2nd and late 2nd.

Look at the players projected to be available at 60 this year and compare that to what will likely be available early 2nd.  It is a very big difference.  

Given this team is undergoing a mini rebuild and picking late in each round, I think they are best off taking best player available at high value positions.  They have to find contributors.  I know they have to find a WR, but after that, they can easily justify best player available at DE, DT, CB, S.  By the time they are into their picks in the late 4th and later, any position is in play (in my opinion) - just find the best players that are there.

I don’t think that is a slight chance.  I think 8-8 this year is probably about what to expect, but a key injury to Allen, Oliver, or maybe someone else and it could be worse.  What does the season look like if Von Miller doesn’t play any better than last year?  It could get pretty ugly.

Epenesa might be a good late second round pick but he’s like a place holder, he just doesn’t bring enough to make a difference. I would rather have given up a latter pick to get an earlier pick, or maybe Beane was just reaching for need instead of best available. Either way, we need at least 2 impactful players added. Wide receiver and safety?  Or Wide Receiver and edge? I’d take someone who turns into a quality center also. 

I vote no. They don't need to trade up so far, but if they love a guy I won't complain. WR is a super valuable position.

My point of view, there are 3 guys with similar skill sets that represent 3 different tiers of trade value:

Odunze: big trade up

Thomas: small trade up

Legette: no trade up

I'd love any of it

And then...Coleman: small trade back...

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

But what happens if Kincaid blossoms into an all pro type TE, which many have expected?  What happens if James Cook starts catching passes that he routinely caught in the past and stops fumbling?  Both very possible.

What happens when Milano and Bernard return and turn into a top 3 LB duo.  What happens when Daquan and Ed play close to a full season together?  Both very conceivable.  

What happens when Shakir, Samuel and a 1st rd WR allow us to spread the ball around more evenly and Josh doesn’t have the ire of Diggs lighting him on fire?  What happens when Josh Allen becomes the best player on the planet?  Certainly within reality. 

I get that we’re currently less talented roster than the roster we started last season with.  My counter to that-  I think we’ll have a stronger roster to start this season than we had vs KC in the playoff game.  A game that was within reach vs the back to back champions.  

I don’t think you’re giving Josh Allen enough credit.  I think 8-8 is our floor

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 4/4/2024 at 7:15 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

If the Vikings convince the Chargers to trade out of #5 (and the Chargers should be easily convinced), then the Bills should pull the trigger on trading up with the Giants to 6 and get Nabers. All for it.

Giants should be into it since it gives them another 1st for next year when they will be in the QB market after they get out of Jones contract at the end of this season.

They’d be into it for the same reason the Bills shouldn’t- that’s a lot of draft capital for one pick on one player.   

On 4/4/2024 at 11:18 PM, HappyDays said:

This WR class isn't equivalent to those years though. Almost everyone who analyzes players agrees that MHJ, Nabers, and Odunze are each worth a top 6 pick any year. Ja'Marr Chase is the only person on that list of 1st round WRs who's comparable to the caliber of prospect we're talking about here. It would be a stunner if any of these players fell out of the top 10. This just happens to be a year where there are 3 absolutely elite WR prospects.

I'm still against trading up for one because I think it just costs too much and I think we can still get a superstar WR if we double dip in the top 100. But let's at least be honest about the conversation - the debate is not about if the top 3 WRs are likely to be successful, it's about the cost/benefit analysis of trading up for one elite prospect versus staying put and being able to draft multiple very good prospects.

That’s just not true about this class compared to others. It’s revisionist history based on the results.  This year may be considered deeper but the talent level isn’t a known commodity yet in the NFL, and we are comparing projection with production.  There have been classes every couple of years lauded as a big wr class and each time there are absolute turds picked in the top 10 at the position. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

But what happens if Kincaid blossoms into an all pro type TE, which many have expected?  What happens if James Cook starts catching passes that he routinely caught in the past and stops fumbling?  Both very possible.

What happens when Milano and Bernard return and turn into a top 3 LB duo.  What happens when Daquan and Ed play close to a full season together?  Both very conceivable.  

What happens when Shakir, Samuel and a 1st rd WR allow us to spread the ball around more evenly and Josh doesn’t have the ire of Diggs lighting him on fire?  What happens when Josh Allen becomes the best player on the planet?  Certainly within reality. 

I get that we’re currently less talented roster than the roster we started last season with.  My counter to that-  I think we’ll have a stronger roster to start this season than we had vs KC in the playoff game.  A game that was within reach vs the back to back champions.  

I don’t think you’re giving Josh Allen enough credit.  I think 8-8 is our floor

I hope you are right.  I just look at the roster on defense and see a lot of questions and paper thin depth.  If Von Miller loses the battle to return to form, the pass rush (as it stands) is all up to Rousseau, Oliver, Epenesa and Toohill.  I like Rousseau and I have been an Epenesa defender, but that looks like a bottom 3rd of the league pass rush on paper.  At corner, there is no depth behind Johnson, Douglas and Benford other than Elam whom the team hasn’t wanted to put on the field for the 2 seasons he has been here.

Yes, that could all work out very well if Rousseau and Epenesa step up and Elam looks more like a 1st round pick than he has to date, but some or all of it could go the other way and, if it does, I don’t want to be sitting here next year thinking, “man, they need a lot of help and they would have been picking in the top half of each round - too bad they traded those picks.”  It isn’t that I hope they don’t do well, but I don’t think a big trade up for even any of MHJ, Nabers or Odunze makes this team a championship contender this year.  I’d rather sit tight at 28 or make some smaller moves and still get a talented WR and keep next year’s picks where they are positioned well to add some good young talent.

You could be right, this is just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

I picked no, because I really like Legette who can be had staying put. Staying pat allows us to use a fraction of this ammo to move up to double dip and grab a 2nd great WR in this incredible class without investing 2 draft classes (essentially). 

That said, if they did this, I wouldn’t be mad. 

Joe Marino presented an interesting trade up scenario in his podcast today. It's contingent on Odunze falling to #9. Here is the proposal:

Chicago receives:

2025 1st

Buffalo receives:

I will say it seems a bit undervalued for Chicago, not sure if they would go for it. But if this was doable I would sign up for this today. Getting a 3rd rounder back, coming away with Odunze, and still having both 2nds next year would be a perfect outcome. Get a WR with true #1 traits and elite football character.

On 4/7/2024 at 2:55 PM, Bill from NYC said:

I voted no. We need multiple receivers and blockers which are both said to be plentiful in this draft. Why would we want to trade away early draft picks? This would be an impulsive, poorly thought Whaley type move.

Jmo.

I really feel we need a super impactfull WR to strike fear in opposing defenses. But i agree that draft capital is valuable this year due to the multiple holes (don't forget Safety 😉). To that end, I wouldn't mind using our 2025 2nds to move up into the lower teens to grab a Thomas. 

I didn't vote because I am okay with such a modest trade up but not a monster one as Kirby is advocating. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

If we can get Nabers I’m all for it. I can see why it’s a close vote and a lot people remember Watkins. But this team doesn’t need much. There isn’t that much to get over hump. Allen and Nabers rookie deal excites me the most years to come