Diggs traded to Texans for picks

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would do that in a heartbeat but wouldn't think this would be enough.  Both Bills #1 and #2 picks will be later in the round picks.

The Vikings might be gold but still, a second so 33 at the earliest.  The Giants could use one of these elite WR's as well.

That is a lot of capital for a receiver. Last time we moved up for a receiver it did not work out that well. There are many talented receivers in this draft. My choices would be Stay put at 38 BPA, move up a little for the right WR, or move down and grab more pics. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

We get Nabers and keep pick 60?   SEND IT. 

Chris Trapasso said on WGR yesterday that he thinks packaging our 1st & next years 1st & the Vikings 2nd should be enough to move us to 7.  

It's a lot to give up, but to stabilize your WR room it's probably worth it. 

The other side of it makes some sense too, just wait and draft 2 talented WRs in the 1st & 2nd. It's kind of hedging your bets that one of them will be able to just take over. 

I know there are some Justin Shorter truthers out there who will tell you we don't need two WRs but I think it's sort of laughable. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Don't get me wrong, I totally get your point.  We have to wait to see how Beane uses the 2025 pick.  Most likely he trades it.

On another note.  I for one am not a big fan of too many "void year" contracts and too many restructures.  All it does is open risk to too much dead money.

Beane has pushed it pretty hard hoping for the rings but reality has set in and it's time to regroup.

What cracks me up is many fans NOW complaining about too much dead money but are the same people wanting to restructure every player on the team.

It's a balancing act that got a little out of hand and now it's time to pay the piper.  I got no problem with that.

Im still hopeful that the team can compete this year at a high level!

Agree generally, but let's not sidestep the implication that it's his (Beane's) MO that is responsible.  That MO was at least partially resultant from his inability to produce any elite players via his drafts over six drafts, for which he went out and took those unnecessary risks because of that.  Which is why we are where we are.  

It was a balancing act as you said, now he's bouncing around in the net below.  

It is what it is.  Now some defend it by saying it's a normal progression when it isn't necessarily.  Homers, nonetheless.  

BTW, I just looked at Allen's per game average under Brady.  If that's anywhere near what he does on average this season, we may be in trouble.  On top of that Allen has a new Center and we have only one WR on the team that's caught a pass from Allen this past season, and hardly a prolific one.  It's a reach that that's a recipe for even staying the course much less improvement.  Then there's the changes on D which we didn't Even bring up.  

We should learn a lot this season.  Unfortunately it will very likely be in the hard lessons category.  

Edited by PBF81

Diggs will be productive in Hou.  Curious how his target share will look.  Averaging 160 targets over 4 years is an incredible amount.  Even the games he did not produce he had his targets.   Imo Allen will benefit from being the guy on offense.  Every skill player in the draft will be over the moon to play with Allen.   Hit the open guy, win and move on.  Everything else is just noise.    

Edited by Mat68
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would do that in a heartbeat but wouldn't think this would be enough.  Both Bills #1 and #2 picks will be later in the round picks.

The Vikings might be gold but still, a second so 33 at the earliest.  The Giants could use one of these elite WR's as well.

Likely leveraging a relationship as well.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Maybe if we have more corporate fans, things will get better

Can't have the riffraff around

It has nothing to do with corporate fans. The best teams have elite playmakers.

6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Diggs will be productive in Hou.  Curious how his target share will look.  Averaging 160 targets over 4 years is an incredible amount.  Even the games he did not produce he had his targets.   Imo Allen will benefit from being the guy on offense.  Every skill player in the draft will be over the moon to play with Allen.   Hit the open guy, win and move on.  Everything else is just noise.    

i'm guessing they play him in the slot.....absolutely perfect for his elite route running

2 minutes ago, papazoid said:

i'm guessing they play him in the slot.....absolutely perfect for his elite route running

With Collins and Dell I think Diggs is in a similar position with less target share. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I could care less about work ethic. Elite playmakers are more important and right now they don't have many.  You need playmakers to win when it matters. Look at KC last year, they had Kelce for offense but their defense had many playmakers. 

Compare that to the Bills who have a bunch of good players that bring their lunch pail to work. They play good together as a team but when it matters don't have guys that are game breakers. 

Lunch time at One Bills Drive.....

image.png.3234754196c2096b3f921cbc747fc374.png

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Last year even some of his big games were horribly inefficient imo.  When you’re getting 16 targets against the giants, you’d expect more than 100 receiving yards and 0 tds I’d think. 

that stretch of Jax-Tampa where stuff went really sideways for the offense was too many Diggs targets with too little return imo.  A lot of his damage against Jax was with the game pretty much over already 

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

What will they do with Dell?

I really don’t understand why they did this for this reason lol like they got a good deal for diggs but there’s a nonzero chance it blows up on them 

I loved when Diggs would play catch with the kids pregame.  Now my lasting Diggs takeaway is Diggs yelling at Josh, and Diggs choke job against the Chefs(fumble first play of game, dropping 3rd down pass, then dropping perfect pass from Josh when playoff life was on line.  Good return for declining diva, and good riddance.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

So many takes, so little time.

The trade is a good move overall and netted good return given the contract situation, the unsettled relationship, and compared with other recent trades of WRs around the league. The bad move was the extension that made this trade of an albatross necessary. Rather Beane grab a lifeboat than go down with the ship. Still, we are not rebuilding, just being smart and objective about bad contracts. 

Diggs gave us some great entertainment and production, but the sun is setting on his career. The Bills showed last season down the stretch that he is replaceable.

I wonder how little value we could give up to get in position for one of the big 3 WRs in this draft.

Also, yes, the money freed up next year can be used for a new deal if we were to trade for a WR - just need to structure the hits that way. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Agree generally, but let's not sidestep the implication that it's his (Beane's) MO that is responsible.  That MO was at least partially resultant from his inability to produce any elite players via his drafts over six drafts, for which he went out and took those unnecessary risks because of that.  Which is why we are where we are.  

It was a balancing act as you said, now he's bouncing around in the net below.  

It is what it is.  Now some defend it by saying it's a normal progression when it isn't necessarily.  Homers, nonetheless.  

BTW, I just looked at Allen's per game average under Brady.  If that's anywhere near what he does on average this season, we may be in trouble.  On top of that Allen has a new Center and we haven't only one WR on the team that's caught a pass from Allen this past season, and hardly a prolific I've.  It's a reach that that's a recipe for even staying the course much less improvement.  

We should learn a lot this season.  Unfortunately it will very likely be in the hard lessons category.  

I'd say - much like a midseason addition at WR struggling to make an impact - an offensive coordinator replacement always somewhat has their hands tied.  It felt like we went to a lot of similar concepts and checks, option route concepts, we ran the ball a LOT, and relied on josh's running ability more than we should have.  But the team was floundering at 6-6 and looking at missing the playoffs, so you just.. do what you gotta do to win.