Diggs traded to Texans for picks

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Diggs cost a 1st (and change) to acquire.

His cost has been $19.5M per year for 4 years AAV.

Now Beane gets a 2nd back.

Diggs did his job but he is not worth pushing $30M a year for future years.  

If I look at it that way, it's a wash and time for someone younger to take it farther.

Everything has it's time and Beane no doubt thoughts it's now.

Diggs was my second favorite Bill.  From a pure asset management stand point maybe this was a right move (although we did not get a second back, we got a second minus a fifth and minus a sixth back) And the one given up was an earlier pick than the second is likely to be even round adjusted. But again, maybe the correct assett management decision.   But its hard to see the Bills being better in 2024 than they were in the last couple of years. Given the personnel turnover on the Defense and coaching, plus this, it seems as though we are giving Beane/McDermott basically a complete second rebuild shot 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, the original implication is that Houston's also building around Stroud, whereas we got Allen, made building around Allen secondary to McD building out his pet D to #1/2/4 standards.  That would all be fine and dandy if the D didn't play like the 25th ranked D come playoff time, and Allen had some real help without spending $96 for four, ... rather three years, for a WR.  

We've taken a nearly completely opposite approach.  We'll see what happens, but also paramount to my point is that the outcome of the @ Houston game will either validate or invalidate our and conversely their approach, generally speaking.  

I don’t know about that. Houston spent some pretty decent cash on the defense this off-season…

Danielle Hunter, Autry, Desmond King, Al-Shaair, Mario Edwards, Derek Barnett, Jeff Okudah, CJ Henderson and Fatukasi were all given contracts this FA. 

They’re adding to both sides of the field whilst they have, what looks to be, a stud on his rookie deal @ QB. 

This affair reminds me of the Bill Belichick mantra: Better to let a player go too early than too late.

Beane is letting go of Diggs a year early--or maybe just in time.

I'm OK with that. Especially after Diggs threw Allen under the bus.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Diggs was my second favorite Bill.  From a pure asset management stand point maybe this was a right move (although we did not get a second back, we got a second minus a fifth and minus a sixth back) And the one given up was an earlier pick than the second is likely to be even round adjusted. But again, maybe the correct assett management decision.   But its hard to see the Bills being better in 2024 than they were in the last couple of years. Given the personnel turnover on the Defense and coaching, plus this, it seems as though we are giving Beane/McDermott basically a complete second rebuild shot 

I guess some fans see it as a "complete rebuild".  It's the natural way of football when older players need to be moved on from IMO.

My main point was in regards to Diggs current cost compared to what his future production is perceived to be.

We will have to wait for the season to see how it all works out.

13 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Everything seems to point to a major distraction being removed.  Addition by subtraction.

You can't have a ball hog ragging on your QB during a game. I can see Allen forcing the ball Diggs way just to shut him up while the other receivers go through the motions on plays because they know the cry baby is going to get passified.

Playing hockey we had a puck hog that never passed the puck and the coaches ignored the problem.  Other players open for a shot or in better position to make a play began to understand the situation and just stopped skating.  Why waste your energy.  When he got moved down the bench our team became competitive.

We'll see what happens with the Bills but I'm seeing this as a positive and I bet Josh has a sound full night of sleep tonight knowing the stress and strain of dealing with a diva of over.

100%- I will add, the dynamics with people can be extremely complicated. I think Steph and his personality made it harder for Josh to really take the leadership role by the horns. Allen came in the league and Steph was older, more experienced, more of a presence. The dynamic was fine for Steph at first, he was the alpha, the man. But I think as Allen grew into stardom Steph sort of wanted to maintain that pecking order. Josh isn't loud, he's excessively polite. He's just not the type to drop his Johnson on the ground and take charge. What part of that he did have in him, I think Stephs presence likely made him less likely to express it. But people like Josh can be that way in the right environment. It starts off by not being heavily challenged which was more likely to occur with Steph around. Over time confidence grows and you learn to express yourself as a vocal leader. Now all of our former captains gone this is Allens team. Nobody is left to challenge him. It's such a great opportunity for him to become more than a leader with how he plays. This just feels right to me in so many ways. Excited for the first time all offseason believe it or not. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

The absolute worst, especially Aaron Quinn

Guys wrong AND a douche

I was cackling when folks kept posting their video that there’s no chance Diggs is gone.

They are not experts in anything. 

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, BBFL said:

I don’t know about that. Houston spent some pretty decent cash on the defense this off-season…

Danielle Hunter, Autry, Desmond King, Al-Shaair, Mario Edwards, Derek Barnett, Jeff Okudah, CJ Henderson and Fatukasi were all given contracts this FA. 

They’re adding to both sides of the field whilst they have, what looks to be, a stud on his rookie deal @ QB. 

Except that I'm talking about what they've done on O.  What they've done on D, I'm not even aware of since it's immaterial to my point.  

It's about how after Stroud's monumental record-setting rookie season, they're dumpe resources into building around him.  

We've never done that with Allen, ever, in any of Beane's 6 prior drafts/offseasons.  The emphasis has always been on the D.  It's a safe bet that's coming from McD, not Beane.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Completely agree. The time was now. 3 straight years of playoff disappearances. Turns 31 in November and all the diva drama. Getting someone to give us a 2nd is gold.  We'll survive and it wouldn't surprise me to see Beane trade up for Odunze or Thomas.

It's a 2025 2nd

6 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Correct. But it would have been better had he done it last year 

Can’t argue that. I would have also. Baby steps.

Edited by Governor

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I was cackling when folks kept posting their video that there’s no chance Diggs is gone.

They are not experts in anything. 

Unless you ask THEM.

Greg tompsett is the exception, seems genuinely nice. But the rest lol

3 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Now all of our former captains gone this is Allens team. Nobody is left to challenge him. It's such a great opportunity for him to become more than just a leader with how he plays. This just feels right to me in so many ways. Excited for the first time all offseason believe it or not. 

Yeah, it's great, isn't it.  Our Center and therefore C/QB tandem chemistry is new.  We have a couple of #2/3 WRs as our starters alongside a red-shirt rookie, the under/mis-utilized Kincaid, another TE that's become a cap albatross immediately after an extension, and a two-down RB.  

I know I'm optimisitic.  But as you said, at least there's no one to challenge Allen's captain status, so I guess that's a good thing.  

;) 

Edited by PBF81

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

The absolute worst, especially Aaron Quinn

Guys wrong AND a douche

I don’t think I have ever seen Quinn say one negative thing about any decision the Bills have made …

Also he wants them to get back any player they have previously let go …

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Unless you ask THEM.

Greg tompsett is the exception, seems genuinely nice. But the rest lol

They are just Bills fan with a platform.

I think my quote is, “they don’t want Diggs to be washed or a problem, so they all say there’s no way he’s moved because they WANT it to be true.”

Laughable.

Just now, PBF81 said:

Yeah, it's great, isn't it.  Our Center and therefore C/QB tandem is new.  We have a couple of #2/3 WRs as our starters alongside a red-shirt rookie, the under/mis-utilized Kincaid, another TE that's become a cap albatross immediately after an extension, and a two-down RB.  

I know I'm optimisitic.  But as you said, at least there's no one to challenge Allen's captain status, so I guess that's a good thing.  

;) 

These are pro athletes man. You can make up for a lot of issues by just being united, synched up, and aligned toward the same things. We might have said we were those things before, but look at how we performed when the chips were down. We needed this. Like the Chiefs, we will start to peak toward the end of the year when we need to peak. This needs to be Allen's team for us to take the next step and realistically for Josh to do so as well. 

• Eyeroll 2

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Well at least now we get to watch the Texans be the cheaper shittier version of us for a couple seasons

IDK about that

I think Stroud will likely be more successful than Allen long term.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Except that I'm talking about what they've done on O.  What they've done on D, I'm not even aware of since it's immaterial to my point.  

It's about how after Stroud's monumental record-setting rookie season, they're dumpe resources into building around him.  

We've never done that with Allen, ever, in any of Beane's 6 prior drafts/offseasons.  The emphasis has always been on the D.  It's a safe bet that's coming from McD, not Beane.  

Dalton Shultz (who signed a 1 year deal before the 2023 draft) and Noah Brown were the only offensive signings so far this off season. Both resigns. 

Last year he was still an unknown at #2 when they drafted Juice Scruggs and Tank Dell. 

Aside those 4 players, only 2 of whom were added around Stroud, Joe Mixon is the only other addition. 

Their attention is on defense. They had the tackles in place and brought in Shaq Mason to fill one of the other guard spots. All three of those guys are on decent contracts. 

They gave Shultz a decent contract and resigned a guy who they like in Brown. 

To me, again, they’re building a team on both sides of the field. Defense needs more work than the offense hence the acquisitions so far this off season. 

Probably said this a couple of times in this thread but what bums me out the most in this trade is you sent a savvy vet to an easily top 8 AFC team. They needed help in working the underneath stuff for Stroud. 

Diggs, Shultz and a running back combo of Mixon/Pearce should fix that. 

• Agree 1