2024 Solar Eclipse. April 8, 2024. App. 3:15-3:30 pm in Buffalo

Beast

• Beast changed the title to 2024 Solar Eclipse. April 8, 2024. App. 3:15-3:30 pm in Buffalo

why go to buffalo when you can be in the zone of totality in the rochester area?  

the closer it gets, the more curious i am.  we closed the office for the day, so it's going to be some day drinking and grilling.   it should be somewhat sunny, so get ready umbraphiles!  (this is an actual term they're using on the news)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

the fact this event is giving WNY a financial and tourist boost is Incredible!

I have my viewing glasses ready and will watch even here in socal. Not nearly as awesome an experience as the full eclipse would be.

But the last one was so cool. The sun filtered through all our palm tree fronds and there were shadow crescents all over the place

The shadows through the slats of our gazebo too. where you could really see the visual evidence of an eclipse

I love it. Im jazzed. and I think it's awesome  my Homeys in WNY will get to see it fully!!!

1 minute ago, teef said:

why go to buffalo when you can be in the zone of totality in the rochester area?  

the closer it gets, the more curious i am.  we closed the office for the day, so it's going to be some day drinking and grilling.   it should be somewhat sunny, so get ready umbraphiles!  (this is an actual term they're using on the news)

what a great Boss hermano 🙂 so cool!

• Like (+1) 2

went through a total eclipse and was right above the epicenter of it in '94.

It was pretty gnarly. The full effect maximum eclipse point was at it's peak just South of us by 20 miles. I was 13. We had to sneak out of lunch to see it because they knew the kids would be looking at the sun.

We took a 3-4 hr trip to NC for the last full solar eclipse in 2017. It was an experience…the partial eclipses are not comparable. We are driving this weekend to WNY to be with our extended family for the next one. 

Edited by Mr Info
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr Info said:

We took a 3-4 hr trip to NC for the last full solar eclipse in 2017. It was an experience…the partial eclipses are not comparable. We are driving this weekend  to be with our extended family for the next one. 

Where are you headed? I am thinking of driving somewhere as well.

45 minutes ago, jayg said:

Where are you headed? I am thinking of driving somewhere as well.

From Richmond, I'd get on 70 and head to Dayton. It's big enough to support you and small enough not to be overpopulated. Plus Wright Patterson AFB is awesome.

Edited by boyst
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, boyst said:

went through a total eclipse and was right above the epicenter of it in '94.

This was an annular eclipse, not a total eclipse.  

For those who are close to the path of totality, make the effort to get into the zone of totality.  Even 99% doesn't cut it.  It will be well worth your trouble!  

• Agree 1

The center of the  path of totality passes within a half mile of  my house!  It passes right in front of a friend's house. There is a web site that shows rthe totality  area down to the street level.

So the path of totality is anywhere in between the blue lines, correct?

https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/newyorkstate/ILNY_eclipse_factsheet_5c1604b7-cc9f-4640-8c28-9f842fc597fd.pdf

i don’t need to be at the center (white line) do I?

Also, here’s a cool interactive map:

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2024_GoogleMapFull.html

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

So the path of totality is anywhere in between the blue lines, correct?

i don’t need to be at the center (white line) do I?

Correct.  The closer you are to the center line, the longer the duration of totality.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know I'm in the minority, but I am amazed at the excitement for this. I watch the local news almost daily and they have mentioned it every single day for what seems like a year. I get it, it's a once in a life thing, I just don't get the fascination. It's gonna last a few minutes. I just don't get the appeal. Rochester is expecting like 150k tourists. Seems absolutely crazy to me, but what do I know 

Edited by Steptide
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I am amazed at the excitement for this. I watch the local news almost daily and they have mentioned it every single day for what seems like a year. I get it, it's a once in a life thing, I just don't get the fascination. It's gonna last a few minutes. I just don't get the appeal. Rochester is expecting like 150k tourists. Seems absolutely crazy to me, but what do I know 

they actually mentioned 500k tourists, which i have a very hard time believing.  there are signs all over the expressway telling people to expect, "extreme" delays and traffic on monday.  a couple of counties are in a state of emergency.  what's interesting is that they don't want a lot of people on the road, yet every single business is having an event to celebrate the day.  i don't plan on leaving the house after 12pm.  

3 hours ago, teef said:

they actually mentioned 500k tourists, which i have a very hard time believing.  there are signs all over the expressway telling people to expect, "extreme" delays and traffic on monday.  a couple of counties are in a state of emergency.  what's interesting is that they don't want a lot of people on the road, yet every single business is having an event to celebrate the day.  i don't plan on leaving the house after 12pm.  

I work outside and my job requires me to go house to house. My employer is not closing and I typically drive 490/590/104 for work everyday through out the day. It's gonna be an absolute nightmare 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Steptide said:

I work outside and my job requires me to go house to house. My employer is not closing and I typically drive 490/590/104 for work everyday through out the day. It's gonna be an absolute nightmare 

oh god.  when i lived in webster, the 104/590/490 was my route to work in victor.  on the way home, the one lane from 490 to go 590n would make me want to commit murder.  we moved out here just to eliminate that drive to work, and it's reduced my anger 10 fold.   god bless you this coming monday.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RichStadiumGuy said:

For once living out here in the boonies of northern Genesee County pays off... according to every map I've seen dead center of the path is only a couple of miles from my place!

Nice! We will be making the long haul up to Genesee County this weekend to catch the eclipse at a family member’s place. 

On 4/3/2024 at 3:45 PM, Mr Info said:

Nice! We will be making the long haul up to Genesee County this weekend to catch the eclipse at a family member’s place. 

I'm guessing you're headed to Batavia? There's lots of stuff going on all over the place around here... I live well north of Batavia about a quarter mile south of the Orleans County line. If you want to get a little advance idea of the venues around the county here's links to the two Batavia local news sources....

https://www.thedailynewsonline.com/

https://www.thebatavian.com/

Have fun... hope you enjoy the visit back to your old hood 🙂

• Awesome! (+1) 1