Rashee Rice charged in connection to accident - Now being investigated for assault

SCBills

He says he's sorry....

Rashee Rice: Police say they've now spoken with NFL player about hit-and-run : NPR

"I take full responsibility for my part in this matter and will continue to cooperate with the necessary authorities," he added. "I sincerely apologize to everyone impacted in Saturday's accident."

The people they hit are already getting lawyers.

5 minutes ago, beebe said:

it's 10.8 grams. that's equivalent to 0.38 ounces. which is nothing, and certainly doesn't rise to felony.

these aggregator accounts are awful. 

Great optics for the Chiefs. The couple he hit are in for some coin. 

15 minutes ago, beebe said:

it's 10.8 grams. that's equivalent to 0.38 ounces. which is nothing, and certainly doesn't rise to felony.

Which is probably why he fled the scene.  Likely would have been tested for DUI.

So all you Texas legal experts, what's worse?

-- leaving the scene of a wreckless driving accident where injuries occurred to avoid possible DUI

or

-- staying at the scene of a wreckless driving accident where injuries occurred with possible  DUI

Edited by wjag
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, wjag said:

Which is probably why he fled the scene.  Likely would have been tested for DUI.

So all you Texas legal experts, what's worse?

-- leaving the scene of a wreckless driving accident where injuries occurred to avoid possible DUI

or

-- staying at the scene of a wreckless driving accident where injuries occurred with possible  DUI

With a couple of quick Google searches, it seems that those guys knew the law very well. The possession charge is a class B misdemeanor as is leaving the scene of an accident. Both of those carry small fines and up to 180 days in the county jail. In Rice's favor, I did see that Dallas County has not been prosecuting low-level weed possession cases in recent years. A DUI accident with injuries, OTOH, is a third-degree felony that comes with 2-10 years in prison. The reckless driving is also a class B misdemeanor unless the other party is injured or they can prove that there was racing involved. All told, leaving the scene was a heartless but probably wise move in this case. He's still in a lot of trouble because there where injuries and it's pretty clear that they were racing. All that said, IANAL but I am an academic librarian so I'm pretty good at looking stuff up.

• Like (+1) 1

Why isnt this ***** in jail? Leaving the scene of an accident! Reckless driving, endanger other lives!  Avoiding a DUI? Anybody else would be in jail right now. Why isnt this guy in jail?

22 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

With a couple of quick Google searches, it seems that those guys knew the law very well. The possession charge is a class B misdemeanor as is leaving the scene of an accident. Both of those carry small fines and up to 180 days in the county jail. In Rice's favor, I did see that Dallas County has not been prosecuting low-level weed possession cases in recent years. A DUI accident with injuries, OTOH, is a third-degree felony that comes with 2-10 years in prison. The reckless driving is also a class B misdemeanor unless the other party is injured or they can prove that there was racing involved. All told, leaving the scene was a heartless but probably wise move in this case. He's still in a lot of trouble because there where injuries and it's pretty clear that they were racing. All that said, IANAL but I am an academic librarian so I'm pretty good at looking stuff up.

Probably called his lawyer while spinning in the car!

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

Why isnt this ***** in jail? Leaving the scene of an accident! Reckless driving, endanger other lives!  Avoiding a DUI? Anybody else would be in jail right now. Why isnt this guy in jail?

Probably called his lawyer while spinning in the car!

When your lawyer is on 'speed dial', you're livin' the vida loca...😈

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Well that's not a good look.

1) In due course, pot will be legal everywhere in America, as it should be, though backward states like Texas may be the last to adapt.

2) If we are going to start caring about pot and enforcing anti-pot policies among ALL NFL PLAYERS, there will not be anyone left to play football.

Abandoning an accident scene with injured people who were receiving medical care is a serious offense.

The pot thing is not worth discussing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

Being a criminal is not about intelligence level.  These idiots were smart enough to leave the scene with their guns.  On top of the accident and drugs, being under the influence with guns would have been way worse.  Leaving the scene needs to be way more of a punishment than it is.

• Like (+1) 1

For what it's worth, I've since seen the "this much pot is a felony!" part redacted, and the correction noted that it is in fact a misdemeanor.

Nevertheless, between the pot and his admitting that he was driving the Lambo, chargeable offenses are starting to pile up for Rice.

The main questions are: How lenient will the judge be, given that he's a start athlete? How effective will his lawyer be in pleading the deal down to a lesser offense and avoiding jail time?

I think that the key determining factor in Rice's NFL career going forward will be whether or not he serves time in jail. If he winds up, say, paying a fine and settling out of court with the victims and doing community service, I think he'll get a 2-6 game suspension, do the usual Mea Culpa token apology tour, and go on with his career. If he serves time in jail, all bets are off.

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

1) In due course, pot will be legal everywhere in America, as it should be, though backward states like Texas may be the last to adapt.

2) If we are going to start caring about pot and enforcing anti-pot policies among ALL NFL PLAYERS, there will not be anyone left to play football.

Abandoning an accident scene with injured people who were receiving medical care is a serious offense.

It's not worth discussing from a moral or ethical standpoint, but it may complicate things for Rice from a legal standpoint because it happened in Texas.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

For what it's worth, I've since seen the "this much pot is a felony!" part redacted, and the correction noted that it is in fact a misdemeanor.

Nevertheless, between the pot and his admitting that he was driving the Lambo, chargeable offenses are starting to pile up for Rice.

The main questions are: How lenient will the judge be, given that he's a start athlete? How effective will his lawyer be in pleading the deal down to a lesser offense and avoiding jail time?

I think that the key determining factor in Rice's NFL career going forward will be whether or not he serves time in jail. If he winds up, say, paying a fine and settling out of court with the victims and doing community service, I think he'll get a 2-6 game suspension, do the usual Mea Culpa token apology tour, and go on with his career. If he serves time in jail, all bets are off.

Betcha he wishes that he had been drafted by the Cowboys right about now. Joe Mixon got away with SO MUCH because the past two Hamilton County prosecutors are season ticket holders. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

It's worth discussing when your seen fleeing from the scene of a crime and had been operating a motor vehicle with 10 grams of weed in the vehicle.

The legality of weed, I couldn't care less, the possibility of driving while intoxicated and avoiding getting caught by leaving is kind of a red flag for me.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah, because he probably wasn’t higher than a kite when this happened.

Not worth discussing at all.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I’d say it’s more akin to an open container in the car than an outrage over weed issue