To draft a WR or not with 1st round pick

Magox

I have been on the WR bandwagon for 1st round pick for a couple years now.   The top 20 WR's in this years draft is probably higher quality than at any time that I can remember. You could probably find a good WR in the first 3 rounds.   It got me thinking, what player if they became available anywhere in the vicinity of the 28th pick that is not a WR that you could not pass up on?

For me, it would be LAIATU LATU.   Edge rusher is a position of need, they are a premium pick position and Latu fits the bill.  He for me would be very difficult to pass up if he were available somewhere around the 22 pick up.  He's a stud, great technician, has all the moves, great pro typical size with a history of fantastic production at a big university.    I think the dude will end up being a 10+ a year guy right off the bat.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4

There is certainly a need to acquire Diggs’ eventual replacement, and this would be a good time to do that. But, beyond that, if this draft is as deep at WR as people are saying, there will be one in the second round. 

I would love to see the Bills draft a WR in the first. It would be fun, and exciting. We need another playmaker on Offense. But the truth is, we are desperately thin on defense. The starting 11 might be considered adequate (barely), lack of a pass rush notwithstanding. But after that… it’s hard to get excited about The JAGs they’ve added to the D-line, a geriatric Von Miller or the notion that Cam Lewis is our best defensive back after the starting five. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Magox said:

I have been on the WR bandwagon for 1st round pick for a couple years now.   The top 20 WR's in this years draft is probably higher quality than at any time that I can remember. You could probably find a good WR in the first 3 rounds.   It got me thinking, what player if they became available anywhere in the vicinity of the 28th pick that is not a WR that you could not pass up on?

For me, it would be LAIATU LATU.   Edge rusher is a position of need, they are a premium pick position and Latu fits the bill.  He for me would be very difficult to pass up if he were available somewhere around the 22 pick up.  He's a stud, great technician, has all the moves, great pro typical size with a history of fantastic production at a big university.    I think the dude will end up being a 10+ a year guy right off the bat.

Latu is my answer too. If he is there then unless one of the top 3 receivers is also there I'd take him and start trying to trade up in round 2 to make sure I get a receiver. He is just a tier of talent above all the receivers except the top 3. You can't pass on that at a premium position.

But this Bills regime has been reluctant to take risks on injury guys. So I doubt they'd do it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Personally I think we need to try to trade Stefon Diggs BEFORE the draft day for a pick package that nets a second rounder in some way.

I'm happy to move on from Diggs and go all in with this WR class.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Latu is my answer too. If he is there then unless one of the top 3 receivers is also there I'd take him and start trying to trade up in round 2 to make sure I get a receiver. He is just a tier of talent above all the receivers except the top 3. You can't pass on that at a premium position.

But this Bills regime has been reluctant to take risks on injury guys. So I doubt they'd do it. 

I think the Bills would also consider one of their top interior DLs if they are available at 28…I think they believe the Samuel acquisition frees them up to go WR in round 2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Defensive end is still a big need and we can't go into the year with Von as our only speed rusher.  DT, DE, S, IOL, and WR are all needs that will need to be addressed in the draft and/or late free agency.  This draft seems loaded with WR, DT, and Safety prospects and I'm hoping that Beane resists the temptation to trade up and instead uses all of the picks at his disposal to inject this roster with youth.

I only want a receiver at or very close to the 28th pick if it is Mitchell or Thomas. The top 3 receivers are long gone. I doubt a top 3 DE is at #28, but here's hoping.

Trading down is probably best course, if possible, if those two receivers aren't around.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I think the Bills would also consider one of their top interior DLs if they are available at 28…I think they believe the Samuel acquisition frees them up to go WR in round 2.

So I love Newton and I like Murphy a lot. But they are 3Ts. How do you get the value out of them with Ed playing 70% of the snaps and being your best defender last year?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I love Newton and I like Murphy a lot. But they are 3Ts. How do you get the value out of them with Ed playing 70% of the snaps and being your best defender last year?

I don’t think they wanted to play Ed Oliver that much last year but had no choice with DQ, Phillips going down and Settle being disappointing. I think they would ideally do a 60-40. If that is worth it who knows 

• Agree 1

It remains to be seen in who will be available. Ultimately I think a DL like Chop Robinson, Darius Robinson or Johnny Newton could fall to us which to make me wait in WR as think the DL depth isn't great this year. I admit though I'd also love to grab Brian Thomas or Ad Mitchell or Xavier Legette. 

8 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

So again let's not give our all world QB a 1st round talent at WR.   Christ people...

The Chiefs haven't drafted a 1st Round WR for Mahomes since they added him. I guess they're a poor team to emulate? 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Just spit ballin here, but couldn’t Newton play on 2nd and 3rd down along side Oliver in obvious passing downs while giving Oliver a blow when needed.

• Like (+1) 2

Latu might be the only one if the first rd I’d take over a WR if he fell that far. But I’ll add that if Thomas Jr, Franklin, Mitchell aren’t there anymore, im reading back anyway and picking up extra picks. Hoping to get Sweat and another WR. Honestly, I think Franklin might be a little high for 28 but if he’s the guy they’re in love with, who am I to argue.  

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Laiatu Latu probably would be the pick if he were on the board at 28.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, I don't see any way he is still on the board at 28.

Latu to me is like Byron Murphy at DT or Brian Thomas Jr. at WR. You see *some* mocks where they're available for us. But the likely reality is that all of them should be gone by the time we pick.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, mannc said:

I think they believe the Samuel acquisition frees them up to go WR in round 2.

I don't think so. Beane called Samuel a "weapon" when asked about him and alluded to his early days in Carolina when he was a hybrid RB/WR. I think they see him as the much better version of McKenzie/Harty. Clearly they value that role, they just haven't been able to get it right yet. Throwing a lot of money at Samuel is a way of them finally getting that role figured out once and for all. It won't preclude them from drafting a true outside WR high in the draft.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think so. Beane called Samuel a "weapon" when asked about him and alluded to his early days in Carolina when he was a hybrid RB/WR. I think they see him as the much better version of McKenzie/Harty. Clearly they value that role, they just haven't been able to get it right yet. Throwing a lot of money at Samuel is a way of them finally getting that role figured out once and for all. It won't preclude them from drafting a true outside WR high in the draft.

Which prospects do you think fall under that umbrella?

28 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The Chiefs haven't drafted a 1st Round WR for Mahomes since they added him. I guess they're a poor team to emulate? 

We can make that comparison when Andy Reid or some other really good offensive HC is in charge. Not McDermott.  And when KC's GM is making our picks, not Beane.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1