To draft a WR or not with 1st round pick

Magox

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFan said:

2022:

2nd rd picks GEORGE PICKENS (1941 yards in 2 seasons including 1140 last year); plus Christian Watson (an emerging star if he can stay healthy) and Alec Pierce,  plus Romeo Dobbs in the 4th and Shakir in the 5th

2021: the 2nd rd was not great but

Elijah Moore is a solid player from the 2nd, Josh Palmer is good from the 3rd, Nico Collins from the 3rd is an emerging star and Amon St Brown from the 4th is a huge star already.

2020:

Did you forget Michael Pittman in the 2nd rd? Davis and Mooney were good later round picks.

2019:

Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown & DK Metcalf were all 2nd rd picks. Diontae Johnson and Terry McLaurin went in the 3rd

George Pickens had the most flukish 1,000 yard season I’ve ever seen. Had only 5 100 yard games including one at 195 but also had 7 games under 50 yards. It was very boom or bust with him 

7 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

George Pickens had the most flukish 1,000 yard season I’ve ever seen. Had only 5 100 yard games including one at 195 but also had 7 games under 50 yards. It was very boom or bust with him 

Maybe the QB was the issue, which is why Pittsburgh traded away the old QB and acquired two replacements.  Put Pickens with Josh Allen and we'll see what happens.

By the way Diggs had 5 100 yard games this past season and 6 under 50 yards.  Chase also had 5 100 yards games, but 7 games under 50 yards.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

DING! DING! DING!!!

You win a prize as the One Millionth poster to point that out!  😂 

I just don’t see it being at all realistic, but I’ve been wrong before. But I just don’t see it. 

Cool!  What do I win?

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Maybe the QB was the issue, which is why Pittsburgh traded away the old QB and acquired two replacements.  Put Pickens with Josh Allen and we'll see what happens.

By the way Diggs had 5 100 yard games this past season and 6 under 50 yards.  Chase also had 5 100 yards games, but 7 games under 50 yards.

Your right and you also contradicted yourself by using Diggs as an example when he plays with Josh Allen unless your insinuating that Pickens is a better WR than Diggs than I get  what your saying 

8 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Cool!  What do I win?

I’m not really good with presents and prizes and stuff, but I have a truckload of used dog food in my back yard.  😋

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

How would you feel about Coleman after a trade back that netted us a 3rd rounder?

Still not good. It would basically make our WR corps the same as last year plus Curtis Samuel. And I don't think that is enough.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Drafting two WRs high in the draft would a sure way to thwart one of those two WRs or Shakir out of PT and development.

Drafting two WRs with our first two picks would just bump Mack Hollins off the roster and increase the chance that we come away with a stud at the position. It would also help us catch up to the rest of the league as far as investment at the position over the last four years. I would be all for this if the value is there.

5 hours ago, Augie said:

DING! DING! DING!!!

You win a prize as the One Millionth poster to point that out!  😂 

I just don’t see it being at all realistic, but I’ve been wrong before. But I just don’t see it. 

I mean, to be fair, he's the millionth person to point it out because there's a million posts a day (and generally 95% of them are from the same poster) calling for it when it really can't be done before 6/1.

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Your right and you also contradicted yourself by using Diggs as an example when he plays with Josh Allen unless your insinuating that Pickens is a better WR than Diggs than I get  what your saying 

I'd say right now he is.  

Diggs had 1183 on 107 catches (160 targets) or 11.1 yds/c.  Pickens had 1140 on only 63 catches (106 targets) or 18.1 yds/c.  Diggs had only 19 20+ yard plays, while Pickens had 42.  Pickens did all this on a team with terrible QB play.  What would his stats be with a good QB targeting him 160 times a season? 1700 yards? More?

• Disagree 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Still not good. It would basically make our WR corps the same as last year plus Curtis Samuel. And I don't think that is enough.

I was somewhat in the same boat as you with Coleman, but I can't lie that drill where they were running through the gauntlet catching those passes, the way he was easily plucking those balls out of the air at full speed, in fact his time speed running through that gauntlet was faster than anyone else.   Then I saw some MPH instances that he had throughout the collegiate season and it was up there among the fastest times.   

I think his playing speed is much faster than his timed speed and I believe he is a natural catcher of the ball.    I wouldn't want him to be my 1st round pick, but I have warmed up to him to consider him to be our 2nd round pick.  I have him now as WR #7 in this years draft.

2 hours ago, Magox said:

I was somewhat in the same boat as you with Coleman, but I can't lie that drill where they were running through the gauntlet catching those passes, the way he was easily plucking those balls out of the air at full speed, in fact his time speed running through that gauntlet was faster than anyone else.   Then I saw some MPH instances that he had throughout the collegiate season and it was up there among the fastest times.   

I think his playing speed is much faster than his timed speed and I believe he is a natural catcher of the ball.    I wouldn't want him to be my 1st round pick, but I have warmed up to him to consider him to be our 2nd round pick.  I have him now as WR #7 in this years draft.

I think he will end up as a big slot at the NFL level personally. Regardless of the gauntlet speed he doesn't separate outside on tape.

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he will end up as a big slot at the NFL level personally. Regardless of the gauntlet speed he doesn't separate outside on tape.

Wait you think Keon Coleman is going to be a big slot? If I read that correctly I strongly disagree 

If you listen to Brandon Beanes last interview about what he looks for in the WR position, he states versatility and I believe he said that at least 3 times while talking about this WR class. I take everything with a grain of salt around this time of year but to me that screams Xavier Legette, who played inside, outside and as a returner for South Carolina. We may even be able to trade down a few slots and pick up an extra draft pick if we had a few WR rated equally. He ran a 4.39 40 time and if you look at separation, this guy just gets it imo, Steve Smith Sr. called him a better D.K. Metcalf coming out of college which I don't usually listen to many opinions on players as I use my own eyeballs but I definitely listen to him since he speaks his mind and not just the typical media fluff pieces. I usually don't lock on to 1 player on draft day for disappointment reasons but I'm really liking this prospect more and more.