Replay Review Approved for Game Clock Expiration before Snap

bills742

Have to assume they meant the play clock.

Ugh this is going to be interesting to see how often some replay booth guy stops a play. It will be very difficult to stop the play before it is over. These are usually less than a second decision and by the time the replay official can notify anyone the play will be over. That means a possible referral of a TD, a sack, or a turnover. 

It's the right thing to do and my guess is QBs will just adjust and snap with 1 sec instead of zero. 

• Like (+1) 1

In video review, are they still allowing the ~1s of grace or the time up when the clock hits 0?

I hope they make it black and white.  There are enough rules built on the judgement of the official... the play clock shouldn't be one of them.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Have to assume they meant the play clock.

Ugh this is going to be interesting to see how often some replay booth guy stops a play. It will be very difficult to stop the play before it is over. These are usually less than a second decision and by the time the replay official can notify anyone the play will be over. That means a possible referral of a TD, a sack, or a turnover. 

It's the right thing to do and my guess is QBs will just adjust and snap with 1 sec instead of zero. 

I imagine it will be treated like the offside rules in the top football (ok, ok... soccer) leagues. Play will continue until it's conclusion, then revisited if need be.

18 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I think that’s what he means. We don’t have a problem with the game clock expiring before a play. 

That's what I assumed, but here it is officially listed as game clock.

image.thumb.png.becdbd9e8a0c4806e924eec9d34d992c.png

16 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I don’t ever remember any issue where the game clock expired and they let the play go off. If this is truly game clock and not play clock, then this is a rule to solve a problem that doesn’t even exist. 

This is in response to a Jordan Love play this year where the game clock had expired but the snap was allowed and they got a huge gain. It wasnt reviewable so the play stood.

This rule has no bearing on the play clock.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

The play clock is kept by the back judge I believe; what you see on the screen is not the official clock, just an estimate.

This rule is for the game clock only, it will not affect the play clock.

17 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I don’t ever remember any issue where the game clock expired and they let the play go off. If this is truly game clock and not play clock, then this is a rule to solve a problem that doesn’t even exist. 

It happened last year in an NFC game at the end of a quarter.

So frustrating when the announcers constantly say that the back judge needs to first see the play clock turn to zero, then look back at the QB to see if the ball has been snapped and "that's why" the play was not called dead/penalty, because of the time it takes to gaze from the clock to the snap of the ball... like there's some magical 1-2 second grace period. Meanwhile, I'm on my couch and can clearly see the snap happened after the clock hit zero. The rule is the rule. Whatever they have to do to enforce it. Can't snap the ball after the clock hits 0:0. 

Edited by BuffaloBillies
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Not exactly related, but I've always thought it was weirdly ironic that an offense can snap the ball a fraction of a second late, and the game would intentionally be stopped for a couple of minutes of non-action because of a "delay of game".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This has always been the stupidest most aggravating thing for me - not only that they can't get something so simple correct - but then doubling down on the stupidest most assinine moronic excuse - that when they miss it, it is due to "the time it takes for the referees eyes to go from the ball to the clock" - when that is essentially an instantaneous movement (and replays often show it being a full second or more sometimes).  Even EJ Manuel's slow eyes can go from ball to clock in milliseconds.

Edited by stevewin

They did not mean the play clock. They meant the game clock.

The actual rule that was passed was that they can review whether the GAME clock expired at the end of a QUARTER before the ball was snapped. They cannot review whether the PLAY clock expired before any snap. That would be chaos.

See below for further explanation:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-approves-rule-allowing-replay-review-to-see-if-game-clock-expires-before-snap

The NFL announced that a rule change concerning the game clock has been approved at the league meetings on Tuesday.

The Competition Committee’s proposal to allow for reviews of whether the game clock expired before a snap got the required votes to become a rule.

The change does not apply to the play clock, so it will not impact delay of game penalties.

On the final play of the third quarter of a game between the Packers and Lions in Week Four of the 2023 season, the Packers picked up 44 yards but the Lions objected because they argued the quarter ended before the snap. Replays showed that the Lions were correct, but there was no recourse under the old rules.

That changed on Tuesday and a similar play will have a different result in the future.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

This wouldn't be necessary if they adopted what basketball does - go to the tenths of a second in the last 5 seconds on the shot clock.

While they are at it, they should also go to tenths of a second on the game clock in the final minute of each quarter. 

• Agree 1