Hip drop tackle officially banned

Process

Playing defense just keeps getting harder. I mean pretty soon it's going to be if the receiver catches the ball they can't be touched and can just waltz into the endzone.

This really only effects bad tacklers and players who play with bad technique

This will not impact the game that much because there are not a lot of players who hip drop tackle regularly.. again it's kind of a poor technique thing

If a player gets past you, diving for their ankles or grabbing a leg has been the way for a hundred years... Grabbing them and dropping your entire body weight onto their lower body has not been the technique and is very dangerous

That's not and has never been a good tackle.. always been semi dirty

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

I don’t understand how a player will tackle someone who they are trying to chase down from behind. 

The same way they did for a hundred years

You dive and grab there ankles or legs... You ankle pick them

Grabbing them from the back.. and using your leverage to drop down on them and take them down by snapping their legs is never been the way to tackle

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

This will not impact the game that much because there are not a lot of players who hip drop tackle regularly.. again it's kind of a poor technique thing

Some players don't want to square up correctly so they grab from the side and back and drop their body weight onto the opposing players lower body snapping their leg

Grabbing them from the back.. and using your leverage to drop down on them and take them down by snapping their legs is never been the way to tackle

Nahhh dude.  This hip drop thing which was never part of the game until recently is absolutely integral to the sport.  Without broken ankles it may as well be figure skating!

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, papazoid said:

way too many  injuries from hip drop tackles

reckless and dangerous....just like a horse collar tackle

will it be hard to apply with consistency from ref to ref....yes, just like lots of other rules

Can anyone name two players injured by the horse collar tackle? 

1: Terrell Ownens

2: ???!!!!??!?!?! 

58 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If a player gets past you, diving for their ankles or grabbing a leg has been the way for a hundred years... Grabbing them and dropping your entire body weight onto their lower body has not been the technique and is very dangerous

I don’t know any football coach that teaches diving at ankles.  I know many that teach hit with the shoulder and wrap up with both arms. 

19 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Can anyone name two players injured by the horse collar tackle? 

1: Terrell Ownens

2: ???!!!!??!?!?! 

I don’t know any football coach that teaches diving at ankles.  I know many that teach hit with the shoulder and wrap up with both arms. 

I'm talking when you're chasing someone from behind

For a hundred years the safe option was ankle picking or grabbing a leg.. 

Horse collar is illegal

Hip drop is grabbing them from the back... But then collapsing your body weight on to the back of their legs

You can't do that in a proper chest to chest tackle.. 

Hip drops are always from behind or from the side.. and it takes zero technique to just sit down your entire body weight on somebody's lower half

Nobody gets hip dropped from the front... It's always the back or side

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo ill said:

When kc gets a game changing first down in the playoffs because a Bills db "hip drop tackles" Taylor Swift's boyfriend, I hope you stooges who support this will be happy.

Yep, and anyone thinking Josh Allen is going to get all these calls are fooling themselves. 

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I think so. I've tackled people from behind without needing to curl up my body the way the defenders in that video do.

Sure.  But when you tackle, do you think, "This is a hip drop" as opposed to "This is a swivel hip drop"?   

I understand the risk of injury and the need for a rule.  But I also think most defenders are just trying to get the guy down, not trying to hurt anybody.  And the NFL rulebook keeps getting longer and more complicated.  

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

NFL also stated this only averages around 1 per game and all 3 elements need to be met to be considered a penalty.  It sounds like it may be more fines than penalties

We have seen this happen before, it’s going to be a “point of emphasis” and will be called all the time, largely wrongly. 

@MJS do you remember the stupid “can’t put body weight” on the QB rule? The one that was a reactionary rule change because Rodgers broke his collarbone getting piled driver? They called it a bunch for two years, then the NFL community and refs realized how absolutely stupid it was and it’s basically never called now.

This penalty will go the same way (if they even assess it as a penalty.) it will be a hot topic for 2 years, ruin a couple games, everyone will realize it’s dumb, and it will go away.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

correct

for the guys who never played- the hip drop they're trying to legislate out (we used to call it bulldogging in hs) is 100% the way you'd tackle someone you either didn't like or wanted to hurt

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

Sure.  But when you tackle, do you think, "This is a hip drop" as opposed to "This is a swivel hip drop"?   

I understand the risk of injury and the need for a rule.  But I also think most defenders are just trying to get the guy down, not trying to hurt anybody.  And the NFL rulebook keeps getting longer and more complicated.  

By the examples in the video, there's a clear intent by tacklers to curl their lower body into the back of the runner's legs. It's a way to get all your weight on them and also trip them up. I do think they're just doing whatever they can to bring the guy down, but it's also more dangerous and something that can be cleaned up easily. 

Typically you just grab the runner and go limp, your legs stay behind you. You either drag them down by the waist or you slide down and wrap up their legs.

Maybe people are confusing wrapping up the legs with a hip drop tackle. These things are not the same. So tacklers from behind can still wrap up a runner and it won't be called.... Ideally (We all know refs will screw this up.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We have seen this happen before, it’s going to be a “point of emphasis” and will be called all the time, largely wrongly. 

@MJS do you remember the stupid “can’t put body weight” on the QB rule? The one that was a reactionary rule change because Rodgers broke his collarbone getting piled driver? They called it a bunch for two years, then the NFL community and refs realized how absolutely stupid it was and it’s basically never called now.

This penalty will go the same way (if they even assess it as a penalty.) it will be a hot topic for 2 years, ruin a couple games, everyone will realize it’s dumb, and it will go away.

No, I think it will be like the horse collar tackle. Players will adapt and stop tackling that way, except rarely, like the horse collar.

And I think players adapted to the body weight rule (which I do think is ridiculous and should be removed. A QB should be able to be tackled just like any other player. I'm not a proponent of protecting QB's. I think all players should be treated roughly the same. I'm also not a big fan of the defenseless receiver rule, apart from head shots. Head shots should be illegal regardless of position). You see guys try to let up instead of driving them into the ground like they used to. So, I would say it had the intended impact, even though I don't agree with it.

12 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

What are the odds this penalty goes against the Bills in a big game? 

Very small if the Bills tackle correctly. Very high if they tackle illegally.

I do wish that this is reviewable, however. But it won't be, since it is a penalty.

Edited by MJS

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

The way you do it legally is you drop your butt to the ground instead of launching your body into the player. It is just as effective and does not injure players. You see it in rugby.

The clear indicator of the illegal version is if you leave your feet and pull yourself into the player you are tackling. It causes a really awkward twist of the player and you usually land with all your weight on one or both of their legs. The allowed version you don't see them leave their feet like that.

This is an actual technique that people do on purpose. It is not generally something that just happens by accident. It is a relatively recent technique that players are using.

Here's a good video:

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2