PSL Pricing/Seat Selection Discussion

40 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Again it wasn't the Sabres who decided this. It came from NY state. You can't tell me that a government official saw the amount of Leaf fans in the stands and decided "We have to do something about that"

My bad, didn’t see that. I assumed that it was the Sabres.

Either way, NY isn’t going to shut down the Bills from collecting every dime possible for the new stadium that they are paying hundreds of millions for. They want this to go smoothly. The Bills broker partners are all licensed brokers. They aren’t partnering with guys that have signs that say, “who needs tickets” on one side and “I got tickets” on the other. It’s people like Ace Tickets out of Boston that they are partnering with. 

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I honestly don’t care (it doesn’t bother me), but i’m curious why they would pick Kleinhans to model from.

Its a staple, but definitely not in the top 5 of things I think of when “Buffalo New York” pops in my head.

Personally, since the day the rendering was released, all I can see is a stadium that resembles an upscale mall entrance.

IMG-8688.jpg

That’s a hilarious call.

I have no idea why Kleinhans. It feels like some out of town firm asked for things that would connect with locals. I’m not sure how it got here but that’s what they’re going with.

• Like (+1) 1

For what it's worth, I got a call yesterday from my season ticket rep, who offered to answer any questions I have.

I have season tickets in the lower bowl, Bills side, about the 47-yard line, 31 rows up. Pretty great seats. Seniority going back to 1977.

He told me my invitation to the Experience would probably not come until the early Fall, but couldn't really predict it. I was hearing summer a little while back, but it sounds like it's being pushed back a bit. He said it could still be pushed back more, he just wasn't sure.

Wouldn't tell me anything about PSL pricing, just that I would have the opportunity to get seats "comparable" to what I currently have, which I highly doubt.

We'll see...

51 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My bad, didn’t see that. I assumed that it was the Sabres.

Either way, NY isn’t going to shut down the Bills from collecting every dime possible for the new stadium that they are paying hundreds of millions for. They want this to go smoothly. The Bills broker partners are all licensed brokers. They aren’t partnering with guys that have signs that say, “who needs tickets” on one side and “I got tickets” on the other. It’s people like Ace Tickets out of Boston that they are partnering with. 

That’s a hilarious call.

Its not about cracking down on brokers. It's cracking down a ticket holders who sell the majority of their tickets.  Those who do will have to pay a $5000 fee to NY state to continue to sell most of your tickets. 

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Its not about cracking down on brokers. It's cracking down a ticket holders who sell the majority of their tickets.  Those who do will have to pay a $5000 fee to NY state to continue to sell most of your tickets. 

The point being, that the Bills partners have already paid that fee. A brokerage like Ace (for example) owns hundreds of season tickets throughout the state of NY. These are professional organizations with full time staffs. 

The Sabres had/have some real broker partners like that. They also have a bunch of people that buy season tickets knowing that they can sell a bunch to cover their cost. They sell the Leafs, Habs and 15-20 more games to cover the entire cost. That’s what they’re trying to stop. It’s the amateurs trying to make a business out of it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

They can’t.

PSL’s must be used for the construction project and nothing else.

Its just double taxation for WNY’ers.

The Bills are contractually bound for $350m plus cost overruns and while everyone knows that PSL revenues will be used to cover a portion of that cost, there is no precise contractual language that I’m aware that says they must use those revenues to cover their obligation, so technically, they don’t have to expressly dedicate those funds for that purpose. It wouldn’t make good business sense because it’s found money anyway, but if Pegula wanted, he could use funds from any source he chooses to cover his obligation. 

37 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The point being, that the Bills partners have already paid that fee. A brokerage like Ace (for example) owns hundreds of season tickets throughout the state of NY. These are professional organizations with full time staffs. 

The Sabres had/have some real broker partners like that. They also have a bunch of people that buy season tickets knowing that they can sell a bunch to cover their cost. They sell the Leafs, Habs and 15-20 more games to cover the entire cost. That’s what they’re trying to stop. It’s the amateurs trying to make a business out of it.

You don't think the Bills have amateurs doing the same?  I've some post how they are out of town season ticket holders and go to 1-2 games a season and sell the rest. You don't think they will crack down on them either?

The Sabres blaming the state is hilarious. If that was the case I'd imagine at least the Bills, Bandits, Knicks, Yankees, Mets, etc etc etc would have similar rules... but none do - just the Sabres.

Don't worry, though, Terry will build another well if he needs some extra money.

22 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

The Sabres blaming the state is hilarious. If that was the case I'd imagine at least the Bills, Bandits, Knicks, Yankees, Mets, etc etc etc would have similar rules... but none do - just the Sabres.

Don't worry, though, Terry will build another well if he needs some extra money.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/latest-news/state-reseller-law-hindering-sabres-season-ticket-holders

The Sabres sent an e-mail to fans who comprise less than 1% of their season ticket base that “in light of the recent ticket reseller laws” passed by the NY state legislature in 2022, those who sell a high percentage of their games on the secondary market would have to purchase a license from the state to be able to purchase their season tickets.

It is from NY state. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

there is no precise contractual language that I’m aware that says they must use those revenues to cover their obligation,

The contract mentions it multiple times.

I’ve posted one such section below. The Bills (Stadco) must deposit all monies from PSL sales into the project fund and has no ownership interest in PSL proceeds.

IMG-8693.jpg

IMG-8696.jpg

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

so technically, they don’t have to expressly dedicate those funds for that purpose. 

No, they technically have to. They have no choice.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

The contract mentions it multiple times.

I’ve posted one such section below. The Bills (Stadco) must deposit all monies from PSL sales into the project fund and has no ownership interest in PSL proceeds.

IMG-8693.jpg

IMG-8696.jpg

No, they technically have to. They have no choice.

Thanks for the edification. I had no idea that the Bills were only acting as agents for the ECSC and that they, the ECSC, are actually the sole owner of the right to sell the PSLs. With that thought in mind, I wonder why Polencarz voiced his displeasure at the reported costs of the PSLs recently when the county owns the right to sell them in the first place. 

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to dig that up. I’m gonna be reading the entire PSL Sales and Marketing Agreement to see what else I just took for granted. 

Edited by K-9

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

With that thought in mind, I wonder why Polencarz voiced his displeasure at the reported costs of the PSLs recently when the county owns the right to sell them in the first place. 

He’s a politician. He heard people were upset, so he jumped out to lead the charge for the common folk. 

Unfortunately, he’s also an idiot and made people upset when he went to Ohio to view the eclipse. The first comment in response to his waxing poetic about the eclipse is hilarious. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

You don't think the Bills have amateurs doing the same?  I've some post how they are out of town season ticket holders and go to 1-2 games a season and sell the rest. You don't think they will crack down on them either?

I think that they do have some people like that but it’s a rounding error in terms of how many. I don’t know how they’ll handle it. I also don’t know how NY would get the data unless the Bills supported it?

The Sabres situation is being driven by the Sabres with the “cover” of NY’s law. That’s the only way that the state would have the data. If you recall the Sabres tried to limit single game purchasing to certain zip codes prior. It didn’t work but there’s history of them trying to control who comes in.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

In 2011, the NFL adopted Resolution G-4, which states as follows:

(snipet)

That if PSLs are sold (whether by the applicable club, its affiliated stadium entity, a municipal authority or otherwise) with respect to a particular stadium construction project, such PSLs shall be entirely dedicated to the project costs in respect of such project and shall be eligible for an exemption from sharing in accordance with current policies.

https://greenberglawoffice.com/nfl-credit-facility-has-made-possible-new-state-of-the-art-stadiums/

(have fun down this rabbit hole...lol)

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Rubes said:

For what it's worth, I got a call yesterday from my season ticket rep, who offered to answer any questions I have.

I have season tickets in the lower bowl, Bills side, about the 47-yard line, 31 rows up. Pretty great seats. Seniority going back to 1977.

He told me my invitation to the Experience would probably not come until the early Fall, but couldn't really predict it. I was hearing summer a little while back, but it sounds like it's being pushed back a bit. He said it could still be pushed back more, he just wasn't sure.

Wouldn't tell me anything about PSL pricing, just that I would have the opportunity to get seats "comparable" to what I currently have, which I highly doubt.

We'll see...

I’m in section 109 (away side, non tunnel end around the 20). I got my call on Monday and was told “closer to the end of the year” for my turn. Didn’t bother asking about pricing but sounded like once I got my notification I would have a 3 week window to schedule. Told her I would ideally schedule the same weekend as a home game since I live in Ohio and travel up for games and she said they could probably even squeeze me in on a weekend if needed. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Einstein said:

I honestly don’t care (it doesn’t bother me), but i’m curious why they would pick Kleinhans to model from.

Its a staple, but definitely not in the top 5 of things I think of when “Buffalo New York” pops in my head.

Personally, since the day the rendering was released, all I can see is a stadium that resembles an upscale mall entrance.

IMG-8688.jpg

I appreciate the design more now that they pointed that out.

Kleinhans was designed by famous father and son architects. 

Buffalo is lucky to have such a rich architectural heritage for a city of its size. However Kleinhans certainly wasn’t the first thing I had in mind when I heard they wanted to represent Buffalo’s historic architecture.

image.jpeg

Edited by billyudi
remove extra photo
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

Thanks for the edification. I had no idea that the Bills were only acting as agents for the ECSC and that they, the ECSC, are actually the sole owner of the right to sell the PSLs. With that thought in mind, I wonder why Polencarz voiced his displeasure at the reported costs of the PSLs recently when the county owns the right to sell them in the first place. 

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to dig that up. I’m gonna be reading the entire PSL Sales and Marketing Agreement to see what else I just took for granted. 

Because ECSC doesn’t set the prices. Or decide how to sell them.

Thats all the Bills.

The Bills are trying to maximize PSL value so the fans pay for as much of the stadium as possible.

Billionaires don’t pay. Average Jane’s and Joe’s working for $22 per hour pay.

And that’s okay, because other teams do it (or at least that’s the argument from other fans defending it).

2 hours ago, billyudi said:

I appreciate the design more now that they pointed that out.

Kleinhans was designed by famous father and son architects. 

Buffalo is lucky to have such a rich architectural heritage for a city of its size. However Kleinhans certainly wasn’t the first thing I had in mind when I heard they wanted to represent Buffalo’s historic architecture.

image.jpeg

We have a neighbor who is a well known architect. He was at our place helping us and noticed all the Bills stuff in the basement. He said his wife was going for a beach trip with her friends, but he’s not a big beach lover. Instead he was going to Buffalo for a tour of  WNY architecture. This guy could go anywhere and do anything, and this was a dream trip for him. 

The next day he sends me a pic of wings and beer from WNY. I remind him he’s got to try the pizza, and 30 seconds later I get the pic of his pizza. His architecture tour turned into a food and architecture tour.  If you live there it’s easy to take for granted. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

And that’s okay, because other teams do it (or at least that’s the argument from other fans defending it).

You really think people making $22/hour are buying PSLs?  They must have elite budgeting skills. 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I’m in section 109 (away side, non tunnel end around the 20). I got my call on Monday and was told “closer to the end of the year” for my turn. Didn’t bother asking about pricing but sounded like once I got my notification I would have a 3 week window to schedule. Told her I would ideally schedule the same weekend as a home game since I live in Ohio and travel up for games and she said they could probably even squeeze me in on a weekend if needed. 

I am 135, so like the 28...and i am hoping for the same scenario..game weekend. I figured November for me, sounds like it could be later

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

We have a neighbor who is a well known architect. He was at our place helping us and noticed all the Bills stuff in the basement. He said his wife was going for a beach trip with her friends, but he’s not a big beach lover. Instead he was going to Buffalo for a tour of  WNY architecture. This guy could go anywhere and do anything, and this was a dream trip for him. 

The next day he sends me a pic of wings and beer from WNY. I remind him he’s got to try the pizza, and 30 seconds later I get the pic of his pizza. His architecture tour turned into a food and architecture tour.  If you live there it’s easy to take for granted. 

Architeture tours of Buffalo very popular, if you have not really should do it when on a game weekend. Last fall did an interior of Buffalo City Hall walking tour, they are free, think they do them every Friday at noon. ( tip your  guide you cheap bastage!)

And damn, why did you recommend the drek they call Buffalo pizza. Did you not want him to like Buffalo?

14 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Architeture tours of Buffalo very popular, if you have not really should do it when on a game weekend. Last fall did an interior of Buffalo City Hall walking tour, they are free, think they do them every Friday at noon. ( tip your  guide you cheap bastage!)

And damn, why did you recommend the drek they call Buffalo pizza. Did you not want him to like Buffalo?

Unlike you, sir, he is a man of magnificent taste and he loved his pizza. 

I’ll try to do some kind of tour next time back. We came to the home opener a couple years ago directly from a wedding in Chicago. The architectural boat tour in Chicago was VERY cool and I’d highly recommend it! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Thats all the Bills.

The Bills are trying to maximize PSL value so the fans pay for as much of the stadium as possible.

Just to be clear no one is “defending it” just accepting it. Also, if you’re making $22 and hour, you shouldn’t be buying a PSL. You absolutely aren’t buying a PSL now. If you’re making $22 an hour, having season tickets now is a stretch. 

• Like (+1) 1

PSL Rep called me yesterday.  Returning an email that I sent like 2 months ago (kind of ridiculous if you ask me).  He told me I won't be seen until early in the upcoming NFL regular season.  I'm a 12 year holder and have been at my current seats for like 5 years now.  

This leaves me with a few questions.

1.  Why is this taking so long to get people scheduled for this experience?

2. Club seat holders seem to get more time to pay off the 2 year 0% interest free loans.  At this pace, it looks like 300 level holders won't be seen until NEXT fall.  Are they going to get the same amount of time to pay off the PSL as the individuals that are going through the experience now?

3. The individuals doing this tour seems to be in their early to mid-20's.  Why are they not having their most experienced and senior members conducting this sales pitch?  This isn't $300 PSL's we're talking about here.

I have a feeling the Bills are realizing they overplayed their hand.  PSL rep said he has absolutely zero clue how much my PSL will cost, not even a range.  I'm willing to bet the team is going to have to adjust the prices for the PSL's.  If Club seats start at $15,000 per seat, people are going to pass on 100 level seats, because I'm going to imagine they were thinking people were going to pay $10k for 30-40 yard line seats.  I can't imagine these club seats are selling like hot cakes.  I really can't imagine that being the case.  Obviously people are buying them, but not at the expectation as they realized.  

The issue with club seats are in this area, the people that wanted to buy these seats would have already bought them.  It's going to be rare to see someone come in and just fork out $30k for 2 entry level club seats.

15 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

Because it takes a long time to put 60,000 people through a timeshare presentation. That's the honest truth of the matter.

I have a feeling the Bills are realizing they overplayed their hand. 

I think you may be right. The Bills releasing numbers of sold club seats to the Buffalo News (their media partner) was a huge red flag to me. 

It reeked of marketing desperation. Aka, "we need to get the news out that clubs are selling fast so we create a sense urgency when season ticket holders visit the presentation." 

I also saw some red flags with how they phrased the 75% renewal rate. Losing 1 in 4 customers is already bad, but I wouldn't doubt if the real number was closer to 1 in 3 and they are bumping it to 1 in 4 by offsetting corporate purchases. This doesnt mean they wont sell out - they will - but it will be a slow burn.

PSL rep said he has absolutely zero clue how much my PSL will cost, not even a range. 

This is because they genuinely don't know. The Bills have not decided what the rest of the stadium will cost yet, because they were using club seats PSL's as a benchmark to price the rest of the stadium.

Edited by Einstein

3 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

PSL Rep called me yesterday.  Returning an email that I sent like 2 months ago (kind of ridiculous if you ask me).  He told me I won't be seen until early in the upcoming NFL regular season.  I'm a 12 year holder and have been at my current seats for like 5 years now.  

This leaves me with a few questions.

2. Club seat holders seem to get more time to pay off the 2 year 0% interest free loans.  At this pace, it looks like 300 level holders won't be seen until NEXT fall.  Are they going to get the same amount of time to pay off the PSL as the individuals that are going through the experience now?

3. The individuals doing this tour seems to be in their early to mid-20's.  Why are they not having their most experienced and senior members conducting this sales pitch?  This isn't $300 PSL's we're talking about here.

I have a feeling the Bills are realizing they overplayed their hand.  PSL rep said he has absolutely zero clue how much my PSL will cost, not even a range.  I'm willing to bet the team is going to have to adjust the prices for the PSL's.  If Club seats start at $15,000 per seat, people are going to pass on 100 level seats, because I'm going to imagine they were thinking people were going to pay $10k for 30-40 yard line seats.  I can't imagine these club seats are selling like hot cakes.  I really can't imagine that being the case.  Obviously people are buying them, but not at the expectation as they realized.  

The issue with club seats are in this area, the people that wanted to buy these seats would have already bought them.  It's going to be rare to see someone come in and just fork out $30k for 2 entry level club seats.

I went through yesterday and posted some of the the things learned up thread. The club seats will almost certainly sell out. They have sold out of the $50k Founders Club Seats (450 of them). There are 5500 seats in the East Club which is the equivalent of the sideline clubs now. There are currently about 8500 seats that are similar. They have the new club which is lower level between the 40’s and that’s the $15k. Those aren’t covered or heated but include food and Pepsi products. They won’t have trouble with those.

We waited on locations within the East Club hoping that the PSL will drop as you move away from midfield. They didn’t have locations for us outside of the 20’s yet so that may in fact be the plan. They did not have the pricing for any other PSLs yet. I’m sure that there are models that are nimble to hit revenue targets. So far though, they’re absolutely on schedule which is good for those that haven’t come up yet.

In terms of the reps being in their mid 20’s, that’s who sells sports tickets. It’s an entry level sales job where you can make good money before transitioning to a more lucrative sales career (insurance, medical, tech, etc). 

I’m not sure about the interest free period. I heard 3 years with 20% down. The next payment was to be due in June. 

In regards to the timing they are spending about 45 minutes per group. There were 2 other groups in there with us at the same time. I believe that the 3 of us were staggered 15 minutes apart (like a tee time). They want each group to spend some time with the model understanding it before you go into locations.

Hope that helps!!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Thats all the Bills.

Of course $22.00 an hour people aren't buying PSL's.  That is about $44,000 per year and the poverty threshold is $30,000 and below.

So yes, families that are just $14,000 above poverty line and can't afford PSL's is kinda one of those "goes without saying" types of things.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Of course $22.00 an hour people aren't buying PSL's.  That is about $44,000 per year and the poverty threshold is $30,000 and below.

So yes, families that are just $14,000 above poverty line and can't afford PSL's is kinda one of those "goes without saying" types of things.

Considering the per capita income of Buffalo is $29k and the median combined family income in Buffalo is $46k per year...

It would downright shock me if the median family income of CURRENT season ticket holders was much over $50k. 

• Disagree 2

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Hey Augie…. I was nowhere near WNY last week. I think you’ve got an imposter on your hands. 😉

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

Considering the per capita income of Buffalo is $29k and the median combined family income in Buffalo is $46k per year...

It would downright shock me if the median family income of CURRENT season ticket holders was much over $50k. 

You would downright be shocked if the current season ticket holders was much more than $50,000?

I would be downright shocked if it was more than 5% of season ticket holders around total income at $50,000.  That is roughly $3,200 take home pay a month WITHOUT deducting insurance and other things.

Sorry, I'm not seeing that how that family is affording season tickets.  

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You would downright be shocked if the current season ticket holders was much more than $50,000?

I would be downright shocked if it was more than 5% of season ticket holders around total income at $50,000.  That is roughly $3,200 take home pay a month WITHOUT deducting insurance and other things.

Gotta keep that story going about how tragic the PSLs are for the little man. I mean, they won’t even let you use food stamps to buy a PSL. Friggin Pegula!!

47 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Club season tickets are ~$3,000 per ticket. That is 2% of a $150k annual family income.

100-level season tickets are ~1,100 per ticket. That is 2.2% of a $50k annual family income.

300-level season tickets are ~$800 per ticket. That is 1.4% of a $50k annual family income.

This is not an accident. It's by design. The Bills price each level to appeal to the demographic. The % of income is near-identical but there are FAR more 300 level and 100-level seats than club seats.

So yeah, I would be shocked if the average current season ticket holder was not around the median income level of the Buffalo region. Not sure if you looked around the fans at a Bills game, but it's not 70,000 neurosurgeons, corporate executives and scientists.

PS, there is also a reason why season ticket renewal date is March 15th (hint).

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

So yeah, I would be shocked if the average current season ticket holder was not around the median income level of the Buffalo region. Not sure if you looked around the fans at a Bills game, but it's not 70,000 neurosurgeons, corporate executives and scientists.

The guy that fell into The Pit and flipped off the police may have been a neurosurgeon.   The guy that's been throwing the dildos onto the field in the past was probably a urologist.  

• Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

The guy that fell into The Pit and flipped off the police may have been a neurosurgeon.   The guy that's been throwing the dildos onto the field in the past was probably a urologist.  

This guy is the President of a hedge fund, of course.

773571588957390120.gif

Edited by Einstein
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Lol, fun fact. The ***** guy is a waiter at Giancarlo’s!! I might be his biggest fan 😂😂. I got his autograph 😂😂.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, fun fact. The ***** guy is a waiter at Giancarlo’s!! I might be his biggest fan 😂😂. I got his autograph 😂😂.

LOL  Is he banned from going to games now?  

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

LOL  Is he banned from going to games now?  

He is but still goes all of the time he said. 

They used to have these little cards on the tables there with like a bio of your server. It said, “I was once featured in a Barstool Documentary.” I asked him about it. It was invigorating. Lol, I had him sign the card. Now every time that I’m in there I make him tell the story to whoever I’m with. My boss was in town a couple of months ago and Austin (that’s his name) told the story to him. His takeaway was that I’m an idiot. He’s a Pats fan. My girlfriend was in there with a couple friends a few weeks ago and told him that I’m his biggest fan 😂😂

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He is but still goes all of the time he said. 

They used to have these little cards on the tables there with like a bio of your server. It said, “I was once featured in a Barstool Documentary.” I asked him about it. It was invigorating. Lol, I had him sign the card. Now every time that I’m in there I make him tell the story to whoever I’m with. My boss was in town a couple of months ago and Austin (that’s his name) told the story to him. His takeaway was that I’m an idiot. He’s a Pats fan. My girlfriend was in there with a couple friends a few weeks ago and told him that I’m his biggest fan 😂😂

I always wondered how teams would even begin attempting to enforce a ban. How would you identify a banned person out of 70k?

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I always wondered how teams would even begin attempting to enforce a ban. How would you identify a banned person out of 70k?

Yeah, it’s not realistic and kind of stupid. He just doesn’t buy the tickets in his name. There isn’t like some FBI software to identify you or anything though. He said that he goes all of the time. I think he’s not supposed to go to any NFL stadiums but don’t remember. 

The Bills probably don’t really care either. They had to issue the “ceremonial ban” to discourage others from being so creative. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1