PSL Pricing/Seat Selection Discussion

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Yes you were an early adopter of that analogy. You saw what many others couldn’t, and some still can’t, likely because you work directly in architecture and understand what is normal and what is not. You were able to understand very quickly that what the Bills are doing is not normal.

I think you pose an excellent question of whether price or presentation is the problem. While a fool and their money are soon parted, I do believe it is a mixture of price and presentation and roll-out. The team created no hype, released very little in the way of renderings, require a timeshare style presentation, and THEN expect people to pay thousands of dollars on top of it.

It was a poor plan.

I think it remains to be seen if it’s a poor plan. The stadium will not open for over two years. If I were going to bet, I would bet on the multi billionaire and the team he has assembled who have no doubt studied this to death and have done it before, not the opinion of a fan no matter how dispassionately considered. When that stadium opens all available PSLs will have been sold and I am sure Terry will be very pleased with the financial result. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FLFan said:

I think it remains to be seen if it’s a poor plan. The stadium will not open for over two years. If I were going to bet, I would bet on the multi billionaire and the team he has assembled who have no doubt studied this to death and have done it before, not the opinion of a fan no matter how dispassionately considered. When that stadium opens all available PSLs will have been sold and I am sure Terry will be very pleased with the financial result. 

Do you mean like the multi-billionaire in NY (Jets - Woody Johnson) and his team who had to cut their PSL prices in half for nearly 20,000 seats to sell them? Or the billionaire owner in Atlanta that also had to cut their PSL prices? And Oakland?

"Shoot for the stars and you will land on the moon".

If you think billionaire teams dont mess up... google "New Coke".

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Better yet, grab a PSL when the Bills cut the price in half - or when someone sells it on the resale market for penny's on the dollar.

i don't think either of those things will happen anytime soon

the bills would rather not sell a PSL seat to a STH for many years before they cut the price of a PSL in half and crash their own market. can you imagine the outrage finding out someone next to you paid less. they will just make unsold PSL seats available and part of the inventory that are sold as an individual game tix and hope to sell them as a full season,  the following year. don't forget that even before individual game tickets go on sale to the public, they are offered to STH first. one way or another.....every bills game will be a sellout for the foreseeable future.

as far as a PSL resale market goes.....the chances of anyone deciding after just 5 years to sell their PSL's will be a very small number. anyone who might be in that position wont get them in the first place. those who do sell will likely do way better than just "pennies" on the dollar. most will be transferred to a family member.

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Do you mean like the multi-billionaire in NY (Jets - Woody Johnson) and his team who had to cut their PSL prices in half for nearly 20,000 seats to sell them? Or the billionaire owner in Atlanta that also had to cut their PSL prices? And Oakland?

"Shoot for the stars and you will land on the moon".

If you think billionaire teams dont mess up... google "New Coke".

Simple economic dynamics. What percentage of total PSLs sold did that 20,000 represent? Did the lowering of those 20,000 PSL prices cause the Jets to lose revenue or simply not generate as much as they wanted? The team wasn’t hurt in the least from what I can gather. 

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Simple economic dynamics. What percentage of total PSLs sold did that 20,000 represent? Did the lowering of those 20,000 PSL prices cause the Jets to lose revenue or simply not generate as much as they wanted? The team wasn’t hurt in the least from what I can gather. 

“Higgins said the team was sending an e-mail Friday to alert fans of the reduced prices in the $1.6 billion stadium. Lower end-zone seats will be dropped from $5,000 to $2,500, as will those in the mezzanine end zone. Seats in the lower-sideline section will be cut from $15,000 to $10,000.”

Those are 2010 prices and given how long ago that was, those do seem rather steep, given the Bills are apparently changing similar amounts 14 years later. So the Jets may have overestimated the demand at those prices. Also, this is back when there were TV blackouts if the stadium wasn’t sold out 72 hours before the game. 

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2010/06/11/ny-jets-cut-prices-for-some-personal-seat-licenses.html

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, papazoid said:

can you imagine the outrage finding out someone next to you paid less

I can imagine! It's exactly what the Jets did. And the Falcons. And the Raiders.

Although the Raiders (to their credit), ended up reimbursing the fans who paid more at first.

Edited by Einstein

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I can imagine! It's exactly what the Jets did. And the Falcons. And the Raiders.

maybe the bills are trying to avoid that situation....

and that is why they haven't announce PSL pricing ahead of time for every section.

depending on how they do in the center section(s) between the 40 - 50 yard lines,  may make them raise or lower what they thought they would do for sections  between the 30 -40 yard lines.....and so on

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Although the Raiders (to their credit), ended up reimbursing the fans who paid more at first.

The Jets also refunded the difference to 9,000 PSL holders who had already purchased in the reduced price sections, per the article I linked. The reduced price was for 9,000 unsold seats. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

“Higgins said the team was sending an e-mail Friday to alert fans of the reduced prices in the $1.6 billion stadium. Lower end-zone seats will be dropped from $5,000 to $2,500, as will those in the mezzanine end zone. Seats in the lower-sideline section will be cut from $15,000 to $10,000.”

Those are 2010 prices and given how long ago that was, those do seem rather steep, given the Bills are apparently changing similar amounts 14 years later. So the Jets may have overestimated the demand at those prices. Also, this is back when there were TV blackouts if the stadium wasn’t sold out 72 hours before the game. 

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2010/06/11/ny-jets-cut-prices-for-some-personal-seat-licenses.html

I appreciate the info and the effort to furnish it, but it doesn’t answer the two questions I asked. 

But again, it’s simple economic dynamics at play: reduce prices to increase demand. It will be interesting to see what percentage of seats the Bills end up lowering the PSL prices on and if they will be the same type of cheaper seats as the Jets ended up lowering. If so, that would indicate that sales of the premiums will have gone just fine. 

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I appreciate the info and the effort to furnish it, but it doesn’t answer the two questions I asked. 

But again, it’s simple economic dynamics at play: reduce prices to increase demand. It will be interesting to see what percentage of seats the Bills end up lowering the PSL prices on and if they will be the same type of cheaper seats as the Jets ended up lowering. If so, that would indicate that sales of the premiums will have gone just fine. 

I think the article does a good job of answering your questions. It wasn’t 20k seats, it was 9,000 unsold seats that they lowered the price to ensure a sell out. They offered 9,000 other seat holders a refund for the difference in the original PSL price and the reduced price.   So, you can easily check the capacity of the stadium to see the percentage of total seats this represents. 

And it seems clear they lost potential revenue by lowering the costs, but it seems doubtful they were in the red because of it, given the percentage of seats it represents. Your question about revenue isn’t really an either/or situation as you posed it; it does represent a loss of revenue and as a consequence, they did not make as much revenue as they had anticipated. 

Edited by WotAGuy

Just now, WotAGuy said:

I think the article does a good job of answering your questions. It wasn’t 20k seats, it was 9,000 unsold seats that they lowered the price to ensure a sell out. They offered 9,000 other seat holders a refund for the difference in the original PSL price and the reduced price.   So, you can easily check the capacity of the stadium to see the percentage of total seats this represents. 

And it seems clear they lost potential revenue by lowering the costs, but it seems doubtful they were in the red because of it, given the percentage of seats it represents. 

I didn’t read the article, but thanks. The 20,000 number came from @Einstein, but the fact it was actually less than half that amount suggests the PSL sales for the Jets were actually pretty good.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I didn’t read the article, but thanks. The 20,000 number came from @Einstein, but the fact it was actually less than half that amount suggests the PSL sales for the Jets were actually pretty good.

Yes, close to 20,000. As I said.

Maybe you’re confused due the 9,000 that wasn’t sold. They essentially had to lower everyone’s prices who purchased in those sections in order to get the last 10k sold.

Considering that teams hold back several thousand tickets for individual sales (they don’t sell seasons for all seats), and that the Jets didn’t sell PSL’s (at all) in a lot of the upper decks, those 18,000 seats were likely close to 30% of all season tickets.

Summary; The Jets had to reduce PSL pricing on 18,000 PSLS. Atlanta did too. Oakland did too.

IMG-8642.jpg

Edited by Einstein

4 hours ago, DaVinci said:

Does anyone have an Idea of how much the Bills PSL sale will generate? Or how much past PSL sales from other teams generated and what the percentage of the total stadium cost was?

The sale of Bills stadium PSLs are expected to raise between $100 million and $200 million, the News reported. 

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2023/06/06/new-buffalo-bills-stadium-construction-is-underway-whos-paying-for-it/70290350007/

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

Yes, close to 20,000. As I said.

Maybe you’re confused due the 9,000 that wasn’t sold. They essentially had to lower everyone’s prices who purchased in those sections in order to get the last 10k sold.

Considering that teams hold back several thousand tickets for individual sales (they don’t sell seasons for all seats), and that the Jets didn’t sell PSL’s (at all) in a lot of the upper decks, those 18,000 seats were likely close to 30% of all season tickets.

Summary; The Jets had to reduce PSL pricing on 18,000 PSLS. Atlanta did too. Oakland did too.

IMG-8642.jpg

And perhaps this is why the Bills haven’t released an overall pricing structure.  They are going with the infamous “dynamic pricing” like done for concerts and other events.  They are gauging the market as they sell PSLs from top to bottom.

The Bills also have a very layered pricing where different rows in the same section have different prices, at least that’s what I saw from a figure someone presented upthread.   So that will give them further flexibility to have multiple price points within section. 

Perhaps the Bills/Legends have studied past PSL sales and seen the trends in the Jets, Falcons and Raiders sales and developed this method to avoid having to lower prices after they are announced. 

Just a thought. Not defending it. Offering an explanation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Einstein said:

Better yet, grab a PSL when the Bills cut the price in half - or when someone sells it on the resale market for penny's on the dollar.

why pay half a PSL?  You know I'll be buying that ticket on Stubhub...

• Like (+1) 1

I’m going tomorrow with no idea what we are going to do. There’s really 3 options and each has flaws. 1) East Club - heated, covered, most expensive. 2) Field Club - great location, less expensive, not heated or covered 3) Wait and slide into the corners somewhere. Hoping to still be covered but probably sacrificing heat and amenities. 

I’ll report back with whatever I learn.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m going tomorrow with no idea what we are going to do. There’s really 3 options and each has flaws. 1) East Club - heated, covered, most expensive. 2) Field Club - great location, less expensive, not heated or covered 3) Wait and slide into the corners somewhere. Hoping to still be covered but probably sacrificing heat and amenities. 

It will be interesting to hear which sections are now unavailable in the East Clubs. When I committed two weeks ago there were 3 sections sold out. Reply about that if the rep says something. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

what is the "fee" the bills PSL Agent charges to complete/record a "TRANSFER" of the psl from an aftermarket transaction.....the agreement does not say

1 hour ago, Mr Info said:

It will be interesting to hear which sections are now unavailable in the East Clubs. When I committed two weeks ago there were 3 sections sold out. Reply about that if the rep says something. 

For sure!! Appreciate the heads up. 

13 minutes ago, papazoid said:

what is the "fee" the bills PSL Agent charges to complete/record a "TRANSFER" of the psl from an aftermarket transaction.....the agreement does not say

I’ll ask

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If youre looking for suggestions, East Club has my vote.

The heat and coverage is irreplaceable.

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If youre looking for suggestions, East Club has my vote.

The heat and coverage is irreplaceable.

That’s what we have now but by the goal line (so significantly less). That’s where we are leaning but $20k each is steep. I was hoping if we gave up some yardage that would be $10k-$15k. I haven’t heard that though. Heat and covered are so important to us though that we may stretch.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s what we have now but by the goal line (so significantly less). That’s where we are leaning but $20k each is steep. I was hoping if we gave up some yardage that would be $10k-$15k. I haven’t heard that though. Heat and covered are so important to us though that we may stretch.

$40,000 for two seats out of the rain? Yikes!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Curious how your appointment goes Kirby.  I picked up a couple seats in C227 last week and am wondering what they have left now.  The price was steep but I look at as I’ll probably have season tickets for years and if you spread the PSL cost over 20-30 years it makes it a little more palatable.  I’m also at a point in my life/career where I don’t really worry about the payments and they’ll be finished at the end of the first season in the new stadium.  As others have said, this is how the NFL owners do business now.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/3/2024 at 9:24 PM, npeartisgod said:

Why are folks acting like pub financing is new or unique? 

2004: In April, the Cowboys announced plans to build a $650 million stadium at Fair Park in Dallas. The deal required $425 million in public financing from a 3% hotel-occupancy tax and a 6% car-rental tax.

One can undsrstand that it is not unique or new and also commonly understood as very bad for the general public.

I love the Bills, and I'm glad they are staying here with a new stadium, my practical side also realizes that this is absolutely a losing proposition for NY taxpayers.

• Eyeroll 1

I have to admit that I don’t understand how all of this PSL stuff works. What exactly are you buying and how does it work? For example:

Does the cost of the PSL include the cost of the game/event ticket? And if not, I assume the actual ticket prices will increase over time? 

Does a PSL guarantee first right of refusal on ANY event held in the stadium?

Is the PSL permanent or does it just cover a specific span of years? In other words, does it expire? 

Is the PSL transferable to your family/heirs? 

Does the PSL include a free parking pass? 

Edited by SoCal Deek

33 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have to admit that I don’t understand how all of this PSL stuff works. What exactly are you buying and how does it work? For example:

Does the cost of the PSL include the cost of the game/event ticket? And if not, I assume the actual ticket prices will increase over time? 

Is the PSL permanent or does it just cover a specific span of years? In other words, does it expire? 

No, tickets are extra.  Ticket prices should increase over time, I can 't imagine they would be locked in for 30 years like the PSL.  

Typically, yes, at least that's the way it has been with our current club seats.  Certain events, like the Taylor Swift tour, I don't believe for those stadiums that PSL holders got first dibs.  

The current term being sold is 30 years, which is the lease for the new stadium.  Possibly taking into account that at the end of 30 years, the decision will have to be made to either keep the stadium and extend PSL's or build a new stadium with new PSL's.  

PSL's can be transferred.  

I believe I saw in @Mr Info documents that he shared that he can purchase a parking pass separately.  

2 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I believe I saw in @Mr Info documents that he shared that he can purchase a parking pass separately.  

True, dat. Club seat PSL agreement did not include parking passes but stated they could be purchased separately.

45 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ironically, it’s a lot like a timeshare….

• Like (+1) 1

Okay so I have some updates. The $50k Founders Seats are sold out. The East Club goes end zone to end zone. They have only released the sections between the 20’s so far. They’re selling fast. Still the $20k per seat there. I’m hoping that as you get closer to the end zone those PSLs drop so we did not commit yet. If they keep it there we will have a decision to make but I suspect that those will be lower in price which is why they didn’t yet release them. That’s what we are banking on anyways. Apparently we keep our place in line when that happens.

The lower level clubs looked pretty cool but you can’t see the field from the club. You watch the teams though as they go out. They aren’t covered or heated but include food and Pepsi products ($15k PSL here). 64% of the stadium will be covered. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Okay so I have some updates. The $50k Founders Seats are sold out. The East Club goes end zone to end zone. They have only released the sections between the 20’s so far. They’re selling fast. Still the $20k per seat there. I’m hoping that as you get closer to the end zone those PSLs drop so we did not commit yet. If they keep it there we will have a decision to make but I suspect that those will be lower in price which is why they didn’t get release them. That’s what we are banking on anyways. Apparently we keep our place in line when that happens.

The lower level clubs looked pretty cool but you can’t see the field from the club. You watch the teams though as they go out. They aren’t covered or heated but include food and Pepsi products ($15k PSL here). 64% of the stadium will be covered. 

thanks for info. Why have a club located where you can't see the field?

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Okay so I have some updates. The $50k Founders Seats are sold out. The East Club goes end zone to end zone. They have only released the sections between the 20’s so far. They’re selling fast. Still the $20k per seat there. I’m hoping that as you get closer to the end zone those PSLs drop so we did not commit yet. If they keep it there we will have a decision to make but I suspect that those will be lower in price which is why they didn’t get release them. That’s what we are banking on anyways. Apparently we keep our place in line when that happens.

Are the seats in the lower bowl, the first 30 rows from the field, are those part of the new club seats that cost 20k per?

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

thanks for info. Why have a club located where you can't see the field?

You can from the seats just not from the club. It’s like it is now. The new clubs are glass on both sides so that you can watch the game if you’re sitting at a table. They looked nice.

Just now, Virgil said:

Are the seats in the lower bowl, the first 30 rows from the field, are those part of the new club seats that cost 20k per?

The lower bowl club is between the. 40’s it looked like and $15k per. Not sure of the row numbers. The lower bowl won’t be covered but most of the rest of the stadium will be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They’re selling fast. 

Just teasing, but that is funny that they (i'm sure 'casually') told you that. 

salesperson.jpg.23482e651730a3b0008ce2480f5253c8.jpg

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If it isn't heated or covered, why can't you see the field? What is the obstruction? And what is the benefit? 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You can from the seats just not from the club. It’s like it is now.

Ahh.

So the seats are just normal outdoor seats (such as rows 1-10 right now at Rich) on the sideline? 

They are only "club" because you can go inside to get food ... but no heat, or covering.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Just teasing, but that is funny that they (i'm sure 'casually') told you that. 

salesperson.jpg.23482e651730a3b0008ce2480f5253c8.jpg

If it isn't heated or covered, why can't you see the field? What is the obstruction? And what is the benefit? 

Ahh.

So the seats are just normal outdoor seats (such as rows 1-10 right now at Rich) on the sideline? 

They are only "club" because you can go inside to get food ... but no heat, or covering.

The “they’re selling fast” should be prefaced by there are about 5,500 seats in the East Club. That’s the equivalent of the sideline clubs now. By my math there are currently about 8,500 sideline club seats. There are 450 Founders Club seats I think that they said. They’re banking on people electing better locations vs. covered and heated.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have to admit that I don’t understand how all of this PSL stuff works. What exactly are you buying and how does it work? 

You're buying air. 

I say that non-nefariously. There is simply no intrinsic value. It is a liability with guaranteed cost of more liabilities in the future. 

Does the cost of the PSL include the cost of the game/event ticket?

No. You bought air. That is all.

yikes.jpg

And if not, I assume the actual ticket prices will increase over time? 

Of course.

That's the plan.

When someone invests $50,000 in PSLs, the organization is aware that PSL owners will not forfeit their sunk cost by failing to purchase season tickets, as not doing so would mean losing the initial expenditure. Therefore, the organization knows they can raise ticket prices because the PSL holders are financially committed and that enables the organization to significantly increase ticket pricing because you're "stuck".

You either pay the increasing prices every year or you default and lose your money.

default.jpg

Of course not.

Remember, you bought air. That is all.

nothing.jpg

To be fair to PSE, this isn't really the Bills fault. Any event that you would actually want to go to (think big music acts), the organizer has a contract that they control all tickets. So it's out of the Bills hands. You might be able to get a monster truck rally or something like that though.

For any events where they do throw PSL owners are a bone (meaning they offer to sell you tickets at full retail price just like the general public), they dont guarantee that you will have YOUR seats you paid for with the PSL.

nah.thumb.jpg.f396b6cb7a3af06a64df438edc46096a.jpg

30 years.

tics.jpg

Which means if the team goes through another 20 year drought, you are obligated to continue paying the ever increasing season ticket prices. No matter what. Even if the team is on year 7 of Dick Jauron and we just went 7-10 for the 5th straight season, and they refuses to fire him, and they raise season ticket prices 20% ... you're on the hook to buy them.

Yes.

parking.thumb.jpg.5f89281036c9ea15b4dc875b756e3b29.jpg

As long as you understand going into the process that you are purchasing air, then all is fine.

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You're buying air. 

I say that non-nefariously. There is simply no intrinsic value. It is a liability with guaranteed cost of more liabilities in the future. 

No. You bought air. That is all.

yikes.jpg

Of course.

That's the plan.

When someone invests $50,000 in PSLs, the organization is aware that they will not forfeit their sunk cost by failing to purchase season tickets, as not doing so would mean losing the initial expenditure. Therefore, the organization knows they can raise ticket prices because the PSL holders are financially committed and that enables the organization to significantly increase ticket pricing because you're "stuck".

You either pay the increasing prices every year or you default and lose your money.

default.jpg

Of course not.

Remember, you bought air. That is all.

nothing.jpg

To be fair to PSE, this isn't really the Bills fault. Any event that you would actually want to go to (think big music acts), the organizer has a contract that they control all tickets. So it's out of the Bills hands. You might be able to get a monster truck rally or something like that though.

For any events where they do throw PSL owners are a bone (meaning they offer to sell you tickets at full retail price just like the general public), they dont guarantee that you will have YOUR seats you paid for with the PSL.

nah.thumb.jpg.f396b6cb7a3af06a64df438edc46096a.jpg

30 years.

tics.jpg

Which means if the team goes through another 20 year drought, you are obligated to continue paying the ever increasing season ticket prices. No matter what. Even if the team is on year 7 of Dick Jauron and refuses to fire him.

Yes.

parking.thumb.jpg.5f89281036c9ea15b4dc875b756e3b29.jpg

As long as you understand going into the process that you are purchasing air, then all is fine.

Can’t disagree with any of this. 

• Agree 3