Casey Toohill signed

IBTG81

39 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

We probably will re-sign Shaq at this point. We need someone to play the run.  Neither Epenesa nor this guy Toohill are good edge setters.

Actually that might be the one thing Toohill is good at. 

33 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I'll admit i've never heard of him.  Back of the roster dude it seems like.  

The pass rush is going to really depend on if Von has literally anything left in the tank at this point.  

Which is ridiculous considering all the capital put into the DL over the last 6-7 years.

17 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Schobel was more than a high motor, he was the 2nd best DE in Bills history IMO.

Schobel deserves respect. With his 78 career sacks, he averaged just over 8.5 sacks per year over his 9 year career. With four double digit sack seasons and a high of 14 sacks in 2006. 

Toohill's production this far makes him more comparable to Ryan Denney or Chris Kelsey. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Agree 3

Watching his short highlight clip, he looks to have some speed (to chase down QBs) and very good instincts (dissecting plays). Seems to be more of a power/bull rusher, didn't see much variance in his pass rush moves from those handful of clips, but his profile said he can bend the corner too. 

Of course the highlights don't show us plays where maybe he made a mistake or missed a tackle, etc. But, for a guy whose name I didn't even know until today, and who will be deep in the rotation, looks like a decent signing to me. Hopefully he's ready to take the next step in his career. 🤞

6'5" 254 lbs. 5th-year player. 27 years old. Drafted by Philly in the 7th round out of Stanford, picked up by Washington mid-rookie year after being waived. Spent 3-1/2 years with the Commanders. Only 14 starts in his career (but 57 games played)---his snaps counts in Washington over the last three years were 35%, 36%, and then 45% last season.

80 total tackles, 9 tackles for loss, 20 QB hits, 7 career sacks, 2 passes defended, 3 fumble recoveries (1 TD). 

I know very little about him, not a guy I have ever really noticed on film. Not that I watched a ton of the Commanders last year. Interestingly his production (5 sacks, 8 pressures, 6 TFLs) seems to have been disproportionately in the games where he was rotating in as a backup rather than his 8 starts after the Young / Sweat trade. 

4 sacks, 5 pressures and 3 TFLs as a rotational end; 1 sack, 3 pressures, 3 TFL as a starter.  

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I know very little about him, not a guy I have ever really noticed on film. Not that I watched a ton of the Commanders last year. Interestingly his production (5 sacks, 8 pressures, 6 TFLs) seems to have been disproportionately in the games where he was rotating in as a backup rather than his 8 starts after the Young / Sweat trade. 

4 sacks, 5 pressures and 3 TFLs as a rotational end; 1 sack, 3 pressures, 3 TFL as a starter.  

Someone posted a video from Cover 1 earlier in the thread showing all his sacks from last year. Honestly none of the sacks look like it was because of his own ability. It was all bad/unaware QBs drifting into him for no apparent reason. So I guess that means he can set his edge which is fine, but as far as working into the pocket and creating a sack I didn't see any of that.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Someone posted a video from Cover 1 earlier in the thread showing all his sacks from last year. Honestly none of the sacks look like it was because of his own ability. It was all bad/unaware QBs drifting into him for no apparent reason. So I guess that means he can set his edge which is fine, but as far as working into the pocket and creating a sack I didn't see any of that.

Trent Murphy redux