FA signings of Samuel and Hollins impact on the WR draft strategy?

Draft impact of Samuel and Hollins  

203 members have voted

1. 1. What impact will Samuel and Hollins have on Beane's WR draft strategy?

• Stays put at 28, but nothing changes and still takes a WR
    • Won't go WR early and will wait until day 3 and find value in a deep draft
    • Looks to trade up to get a WR1 top end prospect to take over for Diggs in a year or 2
    • Looks to trade down and take a WR while adding some more draft assets
    • Other - Post below

I think regardless of these signings we still need a WR to replace Diggs and this the draft to do it. This may be Diggs' last year with us.

What we do to get that WR? I think it's a fluid situation depending on how the draft is falling whether we stay put or move up. I'm sure they have their targets for who they are willing to trade up for if that person falls a bit to us. Maybe we get lucky and someone falls to us at 28 that the really like. 

Take the highest ranked prospect on their board at a position of need.  

1 minute ago, Herc11 said:

I think regardless of these signings we still need a WR to replace Diggs and this the draft to do it. This may be Diggs' last year with us.

What we do to get that WR? I think it's a fluid situation depending on how the draft is falling whether we stay put or move up. I'm sure they have their targets for who they are willing to trade up for if that person falls a bit to us. Maybe we get lucky and someone falls to us at 28 that the really like. 

Unless they trade pretty far up there isn’t going to be a WR at 28 worth the pick.  At that point it will be the 7th-9th best receiver.  

3 hours ago, qwksilver said:

The WR room needs an upgrade and who knows what will happen with Diggs. Easy decision unless draft falls a different way.

Yup, the strategy is to keep drafting wrs. Hollins could flame out like Sherfield?  Shorter could be another Hodgins?  Diggs shelf life is 2 years or less.  I'm all for drafting wr @ 28 or slide up a few slots if Thomas/ Mitchell are there.  And draft another wr day 3.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yup, the strategy is to keep drafting wrs. Hollins could flame out like Sherfield?  Shorter could be another Hodgins?  Diggs shelf life is 2 years or less.  I'm all for drafting wr @ 28 or slide up a few slots if Thomas/ Mitchell are there.  And draft another wr day 3.

I agree, although if we trade up then I think it’s doubtful we draft a 2nd WR unless the compensation used to move up has more to do with next years draft.  Just think we need too many pieces in this draft to fill holes to both trade some picks to move up for a WR and also take a 2nd WR.  Especially not having a 3rd rounder.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ive seen some differing thoughts in a number of threads on what this means now for the draft.  So posting this poll to see how people see these signings impacting Beane's aggressiveness of adding a WR in the draft.  Beane has made no secret about our interest in taking a WR, so this doesn't change that, we are still drafting at least one WR in the draft.  

The questions now come down to when, how aggressive we will or won't be, etc.  We have now have youth below WR1 Diggs for a few years with Samuel, Shakir and Kincaid here (not counting Shorter until he shows he belongs in the league first).  So knowing Beane still is almost certainly taking a WR in this draft, how do you think it impacts Beane's approach to this draft in regards to the WR position now?

Day 2 round 2 I think is when they go WR.. I think to many players will creep up to us day one where we dont go WR.  While IOL does not look pretty... Having a top end OL has teeth... 

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There are WRs that will go in round 2 this year that I think would be round 1 guys in other years.  

Im all for a trade back if we can’t get Thomas or Mitchell in the first (I wouldn’t pass those 2 up if we can get one).  Would love to pick up a third and still be able to get someone like McConkey, Leggette, Coleman, Franklin, Pearsall, etc and some defensive help all in the 2nd.  

I’m not married to any one outcome this year because I know how deep WR is for this draft.

I think Coleman is their guy. Drake London went 8th overall and I think they're pretty similar in size, speed and playmaking. Coleman has better RAC ability. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well, none of us know what his intention was before and now after the signings. But Beane likes to go into a draft without any positional emergencies, so he always fills holes as best he can in free agency, which allows him to target whatever players he wants in the draft.

So, I think his strategy at WR is the take one if he likes the value and likes the player at the time the Bills are picking, or to trade up and grab one if he particularly likes that player. Maybe that is in round one. Maybe not.

It's hard to have a set strategy anyways because you are contending with 31 other teams. You cannot predict what will happen with any level of certainty, so you have to be able to adapt and change plans.

Personally I think everything that has happened in the last week makes it significantly less likely he trades up for a receiver and slightly less likely he drafts one at #28. 

I think #28 has gone from best receiver available to best player available between receiver, defensive line and safety.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I think Coleman is their guy. Drake London went 8th overall and I think they're pretty similar in size, speed and playmaking. Coleman has better RAC ability. 

I also think Coleman is a high probability, maybe even at 28.  He is a guy who is open when not open and would be a big weapon in tough weather game.

If we don't land Thomas or someone like that earlier, I would keep an eye on Coleman.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I know he's not generating a lot of mainstream buzz, due to poor 40 and limited college production...but I have a feeling Coleman could be a dude. That combine gauntlet performance, recording the top speed, might be a super interesting example of elite play speed versus bad testing speed. Many online are pointing to Puka Nacua's top gauntlet speed last year as a compelling parallel. (Coleman was a little faster ftr, and he's taller. He also ran 2nd fastest go route during drills -- but admittedly this metric is less controlled.)

I've often argued against Coleman's NFL projection based on generally poor translations of his recent college contested catch rate peers like Arcega-Whiteside, Quentin Johnson, N'Keal Harry, Mims, Marshall, etc. The question then becomes: was the prospect his QB's go-to guy and just gifted at high-pointing the ball and hauling it in under duress, or was he bad at creating separation?

My thinking is shifting to either Coleman or Mitchell at 28 IF they're even still available. Beane strikes me as a Worthy guy at 28 IF he's even available. That presents us with three legitimate prospects (of which at least one should still be available) to consider at 28 without sacrificing capital to move up.  Does anyone think all 7 will be gone by then? 

Edit: turns out Coleman also returned punts? 

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally I think everything that has happened in the last week makes it significantly less likely he trades up for a receiver and slightly less likely he drafts one at #28. 

I think #28 has gone from best receiver available to best player available between receiver, defensive line and safety.

Agree except for safety. 

9 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Mitchell, I think, is the best attainable choice. The top 3 are out of reach, and Thomas would be way too expensive. (But if he falls a bit, yes, go get him.) After Mitchell, there's some drop off, you can argue how much. I like Legette more than most, but you can probably get him in the second. I wouldn't take Coleman in the first, but I'm okay in the second. Mitchell is the WR who if he hits is WR1 on a rookie contract for five years. And you might not need to make a ridiculous leap up to grab him. If I were Beane, I'm probably not waiting for KC or someone else to knife me in the back. Folks can cry all they want about Beane getting antsy, I'd trade up to fend off the wolves.

I think the list you laid out are the narrowed down candidates.  With the signing of Samuel, they filled a need for a proven vet with speed, but did nothing to add size and strength to play the boundary.  If they still want a bigger boundary guy it seems to me that there are only a few in this draft: Mitchell, Legette, Coleman and maybe you could add Polk to that list.  Later, they might consider Walker, Javon Baker or Brenden Rice.  

I suspect that the Samuel signing lowers the interest in smaller options like McConkey, Worthy, Franklin and Roman Wilson.  Some of them are very good prospects, but they lack the size that I would think they are after now.  I am not saying that they will completely rule out these guys, but rather I think they want to fill the “power forward” spot on their offense.  The counter to my point here is Miami who really only has 2 5’10” receivers in Hill and Waddle.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Until I know what's available at 28 all of these options are questionable. I mean as the roster stands now a DLineman looks like the biggest need outside of Safety but I don't see any Safety prospects with Round 1 grades. Also Hollis is 30 and in a 1 year deal. So if a WR falls to us at 28, I wouldn't pass on one unless a quality DT or DE is on the board. 

The DL depth and Safety position need to be addressed for sure.  If they don’t add at least a viable backup DT and a vet Safety who could start if he had to, then I think we will see trades made to allow them to add this and a WR.  Maybe it’s a trade down from 28 to get more ammo to trade up later or may it’s stand pat at 28, but move up in the 2nd or try to get back into the 3rd.

As the roster stands today, I don’t think they will want to leave day 2 without addressing WR, DT (or DE) and S - they don’t have 3 picks in day 1 and 2 and that is what I think they will try to do.  I mean it would be nice to leave day 2 with Legette or Mitchell (if they are satisfied that he isn’t a loafer) and maybe a candidate to start at S, but then you’re watching 69 players go before your next pick which would almost be forced to be a DL late in the 4th that will have to play a lot of snaps.