Our starting Center isn’t on the roster yet

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Jackson Powers Johnson is the only Center I would consider in round 1 and I expect him to be long gone 

JPJ, Van Pran, and Frazier are the only ones I’ve looked at really. Probably should now that we’re short a C. I’d rate JPJ as a first rounder, Van Pran as a 2nd rounder, and Frazier teetering between 2nd and 3rd rounder somewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

All day, yes.  

Chiefs:  

Mahomes 

Creed Humphrey 

Kelce was mid all season 

WRs - all bums!  Rice came on late but

Bills

Allen 

The 2023 Oline

Diggs and mid WRs

Ravens 

Linderbaum 

WRs led by a rookie

Eagles - they were so concerned about Kelce they’ve been grooming a guy since 2022 - drafted to take over for him.  What other position besides QB do you prepare like that for.  

Nothing works if the Oline doesn’t.  It’s the most important position after QB - show me a team with a great to elite center I guarantee you that team wins games.  More than they lose.  

I'll show you teams with elite WRs that absolutely stink.  

I'm not saying center isn't important but every line position gets paid more than center ... So the league certainly shows it's value by money 

It's physically the easiest position but mentally the toughest

And lineman tend to be smart ... There is a plethora of options to groom NFL centers... Including college tackles who aren't big enough for the NFL 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

We got a lot of guys we are taking in Rounds 1-2… and not many going in Rounds 5-7 where our actual picks are ..

Yeah I’m thinking depth C in 4th or 5th round. Some really good value at that spot. I would be shocked if they go C in 2nd. WR,S, DT go 1-2 depending on the remainder of FA. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm not saying center isn't important but every line position gets paid more than center ... So the league certainly shows it's value by money 

It's physically the easiest position but mentally the toughest

And lineman tend to be smart ... There is a plethora of options to groom NFL centers... Including college tackles who aren't big enough for the NFL 

So the consensus is Oregon’s JPJ is an early rounder; 1st or 2nd. 

Then it’s either Frazier or Van Pran. Do they last until the 4th? Probably not.

Also, it may not be the most demanding job on the Line but o would hardly call it the easiest as you pointed out it’s the mentally toughest. They make a lot of presnap calls for a QB and are a crucial component for the success of either guy on their sides. Theres a reason Centers and Tackles tend to be stalwarts and play for several years…

With that said, how many talented guys who’ve succeeded at playing Center will be there in the later rounds? Who are you thinking? 

Drake Nugent? LSU’s Turner? With Harbaugh an ex-QB and knowing Linsey is in his 11th season, it wouldn’t surprise me if he takes the guy he knows extremely well in Nugent to be his replacement… especially as he’s on the penultimate year of that 5 year deal he signed.

So who do you take?

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Round 2:

Zach Frazier, C West Virginia

4x State Wrestling champ in High School.

I’m just sensing this McGovern to Center - feels like a smokescreen.  I’m sure they’ll look at it.  

But come on.  We aren’t putting the 2nd most important position on O in the hands of a guy that hasn’t played there much in his career.  

This is my favorite of the Cs.  And I think we might trade up in RD 2 to get him.   

Can he play WR and S too? 

7 hours ago, FluffHead said:

I did find it peculiar within 15 minutes of the Morse release, they made it clearly known to beat reporters that McGovern would be moving to center 

My guess is it was mostly PR.  It was meant to soften the blow of the Morse release and the Bates trade to fans.  Along with avoiding future questions from reporters about wtf they were thinking.  Plus, Edwards was just signed and about to have a zoom press conference so he could say that he's going to be the starter.

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

All day, yes.  

Chiefs:  

Mahomes 

Creed Humphrey 

Kelce was mid all season 

WRs - all bums!  Rice came on late but

Bills

Allen 

The 2023 Oline

Diggs and mid WRs

Ravens 

Linderbaum 

WRs led by a rookie

Eagles - they were so concerned about Kelce they’ve been grooming a guy since 2022 - drafted to take over for him.  What other position besides QB do you prepare like that for.  

Nothing works if the Oline doesn’t.  It’s the most important position after QB - show me a team with a great to elite center I guarantee you that team wins games.  More than they lose.  

I'll show you teams with elite WRs that absolutely stink.  

I can’t believe I’m actually arguing this.

The highest paid center in the league makes $13.5M per year and plays for the Chargers. The other top 5 play for the Saints, Titans, Lions, and Colts. The others make less than $10M per year. Are those teams are all elite?

There are 13 Left Tackles who make more than $13.5M per year and the highest paid makes $25M per year.

I appreciate a hot take, but this one is completely wrong and you’re making it up as you go.

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

They traded the backup center and released the starter - and immediately said the “plan” was McGovern. 

They don’t want to telegraph needs.  If they didn’t do that the whole league knows that Center becomes a top priority.  

Saying that at least makes them wonder what we’ll do.  

A center is very much in play for Miami maybe in RD 1 (trade back a bit for more picks?) and Washington very early in RD 2.  

Or they meant what they said.  The simplest answer is usually the right one.

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Round 2:

Zach Frazier, C West Virginia

4x State Wrestling champ in High School.

I’m just sensing this McGovern to Center - feels like a smokescreen.  I’m sure they’ll look at it.  

But come on.  We aren’t putting the 2nd most important position on O in the hands of a guy that hasn’t played there much in his career.  

This is my favorite of the Cs.  And I think we might trade up in RD 2 to get him.   

would love it

but he's ranked as the 40th best prospect

we pick #60 overall in 2nd round

12 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

McGovern is gonna be that guy. I think they really like Edwards as well as he is a Kromer guy. I do too. McGovern is a natural center, played center in high school, so the dude has been snapping a long time. He will be fine. Draft somebody late sure, but there is no reason to spend a high draft pick on a center. 

You don't think Alec Anderson was groomed to take over?

So you're thinking David Edwards at LG or a draft pick if McGovern takes over Center?

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Man, do I agree with this! The loss of Mitch Morse was huge as he was the protection caller for the line and an integral part of why that rookie looked so good next to him.

There is a real reason as to why the Jacksonville Jaguars signed him so quickly too. 

Look at the Chiefs with their drafting of C Creed Humphries who gades as the best center in the NFL and that O line of the Chiefs has the best in the NFL center/guard threesome that protects PM...even with kind of not so great tackles.

Now there might even be reasons beyond the cap for cutting the guy, concussions, how he graded against certain teams pass rush. Still, that position needs a top player. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Linderbaum too.

I liked him too!  I felt like we didn't need to do corner in the 1st, especially after KC jumped us for mcduffie.  

I think they had already kind of extended morse though, and neither would've been able to fit at guard due to their size.  

33 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Man, do I agree with this! The loss of Mitch Morse was huge as he was the protection caller for the line and an integral part of why that rookie looked so good next to him.

There is a real reason as to why the Jacksonville Jaguars signed him so quickly too. 

Look at the Chiefs with their drafting of C Creed Humphries who gades as the best center in the NFL and that O line of the Chiefs has the best in the NFL center/guard threesome that protects PM...even with kind of not so great tackles.

Now there might even be reasons beyond the cap for cutting the guy, concussions, how he graded against certain teams pass rush. Still, that position needs a top player. 

The chiefs of course have humphrey and trey smith on expiring deals this year... in a deep offensive line class.  You just KNOW they're going to nail this one.  

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

The highest paid center in the league makes $13.5M per year and plays for the Chargers. The other top 5 play for the Saints, Titans, Lions, and Colts. The others make less than $10M per year. Are those teams are all elite?

There are 13 Left Tackles who make more than $13.5M per year and the highest paid makes $25M per year.

I appreciate a hot take, but this one is completely wrong and you’re making it up as you go.

It’s not even a hot take - it’s a legit point/argument.  

We took a Guard in RD 2 last year - you don’t think after losing Morse AND his backup that the Center position especially if a stud is there isn’t going to be considered?  It doesn’t necessarily have to be Frazier he’s just my favorite.  

What the interior of that Chiefs Oline allows Mahomes to do…..my God…..I’d kill for Allen to have that.  

So to me, it’s alleged option 1 -

David Edwards to LG and McGovern to Center.  2 new positions.  

Or, option 2:  

Leave McGovern where he is.  Hopefully draft our Creed Humphrey.  

I'd love to hear a better plan than this. 

RD 1 - Mitchell, WR

RD 2 - Frazier, Center

27 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Interior OLers (OGs and Cs) just don't get paid as much as OTs, especially LTs, so  salary comparisons between the two OL groups are irrelevant. 

I do agree, though, that having an elite C is not a necessity for a good offense, but then neither is simply having an elite LT.  A good, even an excellent, OL doesn't necessarily need to have any elite players if all of the players are good or very good, fit the blocking schemes that team uses, and work well together because good OLs frequently are better than the sum of their individual parts.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You don't think Alec Anderson was groomed to take over?

So you're thinking David Edwards at LG or a draft pick if McGovern takes over Center?

I think it's Edwards at LG with McGovern at center. Edwards has started a whole bunch in the league and was looking like he was one of the best young guards in the league before his concussion issues. 

I get that some people are into Alec Anderson for some reason, and I see that they like him, but I haven't seen enough of him to know if he is anything. If he is competing for a starting spot, something has gone very wrong IMO. Edwards and McGovern are so much better and it isn't close IMO. A guy like Ryan Van Denmark is interesting to me because of his very high 9.44 RAS score. Anderson is a lunch pail former RT who scored a 1.02 on the RAS. I just don't think that is all that projectable. 

I could see them adding a vet center like  Brian Allen. Then I would feel a lot better about our depth there. 

Anderson just doesn't do it for me, JMO. I hope he turns into something, I just think it's hard for unathletic UDFA linemen to become great linemen. Guys like Jason Peters, Brian Waters who had crazy athleticism as former tight ends can become great. It's about projection for me. I hope Anderson surprises me!

• Like (+1) 1

Given what 's been said & the fact that they brought back Edwards i think they will go WR & possibly DT in rounds 1 & 2, if by chance he's still there later it could be a good pick but WR i feel is a priority for Beane but we never do know what Beane will be doing come draft day .

But i can't wait to see what tricks he has up his sleeve this year !! 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Logic said:

I may be completely alone on this island, but...

I think Alec Anderson will get a legit chance to compete to be the starting center, and I think he has a better chance than some might assume to win the job.

I thought I was alone on that island. What side of the island are you staying on?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I get that some people are into Alec Anderson for some reason, and I see that they like him, but I haven't seen enough of him to know if he is anything. If he is competing for a starting spot, something has gone very wrong IMO. Edwards and McGovern are so much better and it isn't close IMO. A guy like Ryan Van Denmark is interesting to me because of his very high 9.44 RAS score. Anderson is a lunch pail former RT who scored a 1.02 on the RAS. I just don't think that is all that projectable. 

Anderson just doesn't do it for me, JMO. I hope he turns into something, I just think it's hard for unathletic UDFA linemen to become great linemen. Guys like Jason Peters, Brian Waters who had crazy athleticism as former tight ends can become great. It's about projection for me. I hope Anderson surprises me!

The tape on Anderson and his RAS were, for me, a huge disconnect. I didn't see an unathletic plug like for instance Tenuda where the low RAS matched the on-field performance. There has to be a reason for why the RAS was what it was, but to me, just not seeing that. He had no issues getting to the second level and finishing with some nasty - there's a lot of Spencer Brown tendencies there. But what Anderson showed that was superior is core strength. He anchors and turns his man using his core. More than a few snaps last preseason he was stymie with his guy on the line while the other 4 were getting pushed back. I was also suprised at how high-level his snaps and shotgun snaps in particular were, everything right into the chest and consistent. It tends to go unnoticed for a center until you stick someone like Van Roten or Winters in there and snaps are sailing and bouncing.

The scouting you saw, is what I saw, and all I'm saying is it just doesn't look like the player I see on film. Either he's done a helluva lot work in 2 years to transform himself or there was something off during the gathering of his metrics. I was really intrigued by him last year to the point where I was saying, "Bills better not cut this guy, he's a 10-year NFL player" in one of the preseason GDT's or film breakdowns.

Edited by Ralonzo
Link. I'm so vain, I bet I think this post is about me...
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I liked him too!  I felt like we didn't need to do corner in the 1st, especially after KC jumped us for mcduffie.  

I think they had already kind of extended morse though, and neither would've been able to fit at guard due to their size.  

The chiefs of course have humphrey and trey smith on expiring deals this year... in a deep offensive line class.  You just KNOW they're going to nail this one.  

Or they could go Billacheat mode and over think it… taking a savvy pick that no one saw coming and whiff