Isaiah Hodgins Expected to Be Non-Tendered as RFA

JGMcD2

20 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Nooooooo. Why are we always obsessed with underachieving former WRs like Hodgins, McKenzie, Robert foster, Kumerow, duke williams. We do NOT need guys like Hodgins. We bring him in to do what, take snaps away from an actual promising guy like Shakir? I’m happy our collective fanbase agreed (mostly) that Gabe should walk for the $$, we’re getting smarter. We do not need a collection of WR3’s. At this point if beane can’t swing for a Hollywood brown or a M Williams then it’s the draft and it better be a rd 1 pick or I’ll feel helpless. No more settling for depth wrs for Josh. Were neglecting it. 

The Bills met at the combine with:

Brian Thomas

Keon Coleman

Adonai Mitchell

Xavier Worthy

Xavier Legette

Roman Wilson

I think it is safe to say WR will be addressed in Round 1-2 of the draft.

• Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Wow not getting a tender as an RFA says something, no?

Didn’t that happen to Dane Jackson last year?  Giants just don’t want him back at tender salary.  Prefer a lower salary.  So he gets to test the market. 

6 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Nooooooo. Why are we always obsessed with underachieving former WRs like Hodgins, McKenzie, Robert foster, Kumerow, duke williams. We do NOT need guys like Hodgins. We bring him in to do what, take snaps away from an actual promising guy like Shakir? I’m happy our collective fanbase agreed (mostly) that Gabe should walk for the $$, we’re getting smarter. We do not need a collection of WR3’s. At this point if beane can’t swing for a Hollywood brown or a M Williams then it’s the draft and it better be a rd 1 pick or I’ll feel helpless. No more settling for depth wrs for Josh. Were neglecting it. 

This is such a a bad take. It's like only big name players like TO or nothing. 

Player development is a thing. Guys emerge from PS or low draft picks to become solid players. 

Hodgins has been injured. He has trouble staying healthy, but lots of solid flashes. He's closer to Stevie Johnson than he is Duke Williams. 

I like the player and think he would be a decent option to come into a camp and fight for a roster spot. He's a solid vet. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Player development is a thing. Guys emerge from PS or low draft picks to become solid players. 

Hodgins has been injured. He has trouble staying healthy, but lots of solid flashes. He's closer to Stevie Johnson than he is Duke Williams. 

I like the player and think he would be a decent option to come into a camp and fight for a roster spot. He's a solid vet. 

I said nowhere that I only want big name guys. I just said I'm sick and tired of stacking WR3s instead of actually drafting and developing one - something you accused me of not wanting to do. You agreed with about half of what I said so it couldnt be THAT bad of a take 🤝

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Brandon said:

Well,  the Giants DID get more production out of him over the last two years than the Bills did from Sherfield,  Harty,  Kumerow and Crowder combined. 

That's because the Giants didn't have any productive receivers. He was a starter on that team, and never would have sniffed a staring spot with the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Wow not getting a tender as an RFA says something, no?

that he’s still a low on the roster guy not getting $3m… especially when they have a logjam of second and third tier wrs 

which is fine 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I said nowhere that I only want big name guys. I just said I'm sick and tired of stacking WR3s instead of actually drafting and developing one - something you accused me of not wanting to do. You agreed with about half of what I said so it couldnt be THAT bad of a take 🤝

We did draft and develop Hodgins. He was pilfered off our PS by the coach who drafted him. 

Not fully sure why he's not being tendered but he's still a developmental player.

18 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Replaced by Isaiah Mckenzie again oddly enough 🙂 

I know what they were thinking giving McKenzie the nod because of his speed & return ability but i never liked it especially given the hype he was given coming out of college as being a really good slot guy & having the height . I thought given more playing time he definitely could have added more to the Bills offense than McKenzie did .

Then now with Gabe leaving he may have been able to slide into his spot but we will never know unless Beane try's to get him back here on a decent contract .

Always amazes me this board's obsession/fixation on WR5/6 candidates like that is going to put the team over the top. 

What's a WR 5/6's WAR? .00000001?

I'm much more intrigued with who they are interested in selecting in the 2024 NFL draft, hopefully in the 1st round. 

2 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

The thing is though he doesn't show a lot of promise, like, at all.  The most receiving yards he had in a game this past season was 40 yards, that's it.  The previous year he had 1 game with 89 yards, his next highest was 42 yards.  There have been no flashes at all, he just caught a handful of touchdowns.  People are just overreacting here because of those couple of touchdowns and now they think we missed out on some sort of gem

17 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Always amazes me this board's obsession/fixation on WR5/6 candidates like that is going to put the team over the top. 

What's a WR 5/6's WAR? .00000001?

I'm much more intrigued with who they are interested in selecting in the 2024 NFL draft, hopefully in the 1st round. 

WAR?!? What’s it good for?

17 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Beane and McDermott are so dumb for letting him go and get poached by the Giants 🤪

The way that some Bills fans talked about Hodgins in 2022, you would have thought they gave away an All Pro.  

He did well with the opportunities he was given last season in NY, but this season he struggled to do much of anything.  As the NYG receiving corps improved a bit, Hodgins snapped decreased.  

I think if the Bills were to sign him, he’d be in the same position as 2022 as a WR5/WR6 trying to crack the roster w/o playing special teams 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

That's because the Giants didn't have any productive receivers. He was a starter on that team, and never would have sniffed a staring spot with the Bills.  

I would never argue that he was a starting caliber player.  Just that he had value as a reserve and that if he has to start due to an injury,  2022 would seem to indicate that you can get some decent mileage out of him as a stopgap. 

Edited by Brandon
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, people who get worked up about that are hard to understand.

Considering the thread's title, I think he was being sarcastic.

I could be wrong.

Yeah wasn't sure about that either.  But there certainly were many ripping Beane for letting him go so just as easily could have been serious too??

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

I would never argue that he was a starting caliber player.  Just that he had value as a reserve and that if he has to start due to an injury,  2022 would seem to indicate that you can get some decent mileage out of him as a stopgap. 

If your 5th or 6th wr doesn't play teams they dont dress and become a waste of a roster spot.  Hollins is a better wr.  He is also a better athlete and is significantly better as a run blocker and on special teams.