Poyer to Miami

This kind of stuff is pretty common.

The phins are getting Jordan Poyer likely at the lowest point in his career.  The guy was serviceable but you could see how many steps he lost through the season. 

Good luck to him, he's going to need it with the exodus of young talent from Miami's defense. 

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

The only thing I don’t like about this is all the inside info Poyer can provide to Miami, and I’m sure he will.

Im not too concerned …They are tweaking their scheme this year with a new DC and DB position coach 

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

Any sentence that includes Hamlin's name is a mistake.

If Bills press release "Danar Hamlin has been released"  or  "Danar Hamlin has been traded"  it is a mistake?

IMO he got his year of publicity and good will and any position on 53 (whether he is active or especially if he is inactive) needs to be earned.

I think Browns should trade for him - they need help with PR.

My favorite Damar:

image.png.569b8432e4fa87497c7d60bd8048d3cf.png

On 3/12/2024 at 8:46 PM, HappyDays said:

This is less than what we're paying Taylor Rapp this year... I really don't understand why Beane rushed to re-sign a depth safety. In a very team-friendly market we could have afforded to wait.

So, I have a theory here.  Rapp played a LOT of ST snaps for us last season - 49%.

The Bills are moving on from a ton of their ST core - ST captains Tyler Matakevich, Siran Neal, Tyrell Dodson, Trent Sherfield etc.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2023-snap-counts.htm  Not counting the kicker, that's 4 of their top 10

I think Rapp is getting a little bit of a *bump* over what he deserves as a depth safety, because the Bills liked his ST play but also feel he can contribute on D.  It's a balancing act where Beane realizes he can no longer carry guys like Matakevich and Dodson (who play teams but really can't hold down a start on D).  As a depth player behind Poyer and Hyde, he also played a LOT of defensive snaps last season once we lost Milano, so I think Beane also sees Rapp as a hedge for a hybrid role in case Milano can't come back or needs more recovery time (the injury he reportedly suffered is not one it's a sure bet to return from).

IOW, Beane sees Rapp as having a combination of skills and scheme knowledge he can't just pick up out of the bargain bin.

My theory will not please those who regularly rant against the Bills prioritizing ST, but that seems to me to be a priority in a number of these early signings - Rapp, Mack Hollins, Nicholas Morrow - all guys who have laid down substantial starting snaps at their roles on offense or defense, but who have also played ST. 

I think that's Beane's motivation in some of these early signings, to maintain or restock the ST corps but with guys who are better at their O or D positions than the guys they're replacing proved to be.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So, I have a theory here.  Rapp played a LOT of ST snaps for us last season - 49%.

The Bills are moving on from a ton of their ST core - ST captains Tyler Matakevich, Siran Neal, Tyrell Dodson, Trent Sherfield etc.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2023-snap-counts.htm  Not counting the kicker, that's 4 of their top 10

I think Rapp is getting a little bit of a *bump* over what he deserves as a depth safety, because the Bills liked his ST play but also feel he can contribute on D.  It's a balancing act where Beane realizes he can no longer carry guys like Matakevich and Dodson (who play teams but really can't hold down a start on D).  As a depth player behind Poyer and Hyde, he also played a LOT of defensive snaps last season once we lost Milano, so I think Beane also sees Rapp as a hedge for a hybrid role in case Milano can't come back or needs more recovery time (the injury he reportedly suffered is not one it's a sure bet to return from).

IOW, Beane sees Rapp as having a combination of skills and scheme knowledge he can't just pick up out of the bargain bin.

My theory will not please those who regularly rant against the Bills prioritizing ST, but that seems to me to be a priority in a number of these early signings - Rapp, Mack Hollins, Nicholas Morrow - all guys who have laid down substantial starting snaps at their roles on offense or defense, but who have also played ST. 

I think that's Beane's motivation in some of these early signings, to maintain or restock the ST corps but with guys who are better at their O or D positions than the guys they're replacing proved to be.

Interesting thought.  Could definitely be something to that

On 3/18/2024 at 10:10 AM, zow2 said:

Poyer is smart but he just can't keep up with the WR's nowadays.  It's not that impressive of a signing by Miami if you ask me.

Poyer was probably swayed by the idea of a few more paychecks……… closely followed by getting the shady sideline.    😋

I’d love to see him chasing futilely as our speedy new WR runs away from everybody on his way to the end zone!  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/18/2024 at 9:47 AM, Beck Water said:

Could be the case, it would be a good thing to have STers that can actually play there positions on offense or defense…, 

On 3/13/2024 at 12:00 PM, Iverwig said:

😂😂😂

"This ain't gonna help us stop Josh Allen.  Ain't nothin' gonna help us stop Josh Allen."  🤣

Finally proof that not EVERY Dolphins fan is a complete moron.

• Agree 1

On 3/18/2024 at 10:10 AM, zow2 said:

Poyer is smart but he just can't keep up with the WR's nowadays.  It's not that impressive of a signing by Miami if you ask me.

We're paying him the same amount as Miami is to play this year.  They must not have even discussed a contract with him.  Like why didn't he just play here for the $2M were going to have to pay him.  I don't get it.

35 minutes ago, daz28 said:

We're paying him the same amount as Miami is to play this year.  They must not have even discussed a contract with him.  Like why didn't he just play here for the $2M were going to have to pay him.  I don't get it.

I would guess a few reasons:

1 . Probably didn't want to take a pay cut  or the bills simply didn't offer him a contract 

2. His girlfriend (or wife) wants to be in Miami and he's got a house in Ft lauderdale 

3. no state tax in Miami 

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

I would guess a few reasons:

1 . Probably didn't want to take a pay cut  or the bills simply didn't offer him a contract 

2. His girlfriend (or wife) wants to be in Miami and he's got a house in Ft lauderdale 

3. no state tax in Miami 

I'll choose #2.  Forgot all about that.  Does seem like he may have left money on the table somewhere else.  

• Like (+1) 1